Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zubov

Old
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I disagree Bouwmeester has a great chance at ending up in Dallas assuming he does leave Florida.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
josra33

vCash: 500
Dallas needs to get their goalie situation fixed first before they worry about Bowie

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:33 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I disagree Bouwmeester has a great chance at ending up in Dallas assuming he does leave Florida.
Any reasons other than the fact that Dallas has made the playoffs 10 out of the past 11 seasons (I believe that's right?), they might have the cap space next season, and he'll basically be handed top minutes on a silver platter?

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, just curious if there are other reasons I'm unaware of.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Any reasons other than the fact that Dallas has made the playoffs 10 out of the past 11 seasons (I believe that's right?), they might have the cap space next season, and he'll basically be handed top minutes on a silver platter?

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, just curious if there are other reasons I'm unaware of.
What other reasons could he want?

Playoff team
He'll most likely play as the top defensive pairing, PP, PK, 4-4 that could equally close to 30 min a game.
A bigger hockey market and at the same time the media won't kill him if he slumps.
A large long term deal, although he'll probably ask for "Brian Campbell" money.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
Dallas needs to get their goalie situation fixed first before they worry about Bowie
What goalie situation?

One bad year doesn't = career enders. Seriously, people panic way too much.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
And I fully comprehend those are the main factors for his decision. There may be few teams that can offer all 4 of them to Bouwmeester, however, the Stars aren't alone.

Last edited by theheadmata: 01-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
txdude5101

I say the stars need to get Borris Valbrick from the trashers

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
haf

um... that's spelled Brois Valhallabrick.

I actually think the Stars are going to be in the top running for Bouwmeester this offseason.

We have cap space, plenty of it, and a winning tradition.

I think it would be a huge mistake to sign Lehts and Zubie for more than a combined 4.5.

I think both of them have turned corners in their careers. I love both as Stars but there is no cap exception for nostalgia.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
txdude5101

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
um... that's spelled Brois Valhallabrick.

I actually think the Stars are going to be in the top running for Bouwmeester this offseason.

We have cap space, plenty of it, and a winning tradition.

I think it would be a huge mistake to sign Lehts and Zubie for more than a combined 4.5.

I think both of them have turned corners in their careers. I love both as Stars but there is no cap exception for nostalgia.
No its Boris Valabik we were both wrong haha
I agree about leths and zubie but i much rather have lehts then zubie though
Are there anyother top d prospects that you think we should get

Old
01-28-2009, 11:26 PM
aevans0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
What goalie situation?

One bad year doesn't = career enders. Seriously, people panic way too much.
No but Turco needs a good number 2 to keep him on target. This year there is noone who is going to steal his job away from him, besides a trade. If we get a proven backup his game will change back to the way it was...

This is either a personal life issue or a no fear problem.....

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post
No but Turco needs a good number 2 to keep him on target. This year there is noone who is going to steal his job away from him, besides a trade. If we get a proven backup his game will change back to the way it was...

This is either a personal life issue or a no fear problem.....
This is an argument I don't agree with. I know Razor, for one, makes it all the time, but there is no evidence that Turco needs a backup to push him. Two of his most successful seasons came with Ron Tugnutt behind him. Another with Hedberg and at least one with Smith where the idea he had to play lights out or be replaced as a starter was wrong-headed.

Tugnutt and Hedberg, while decent goalies, were not exactly starters at the time they were with the Stars. During Smith's rookie year he was just as unproven as Stephan and there was no way in Hell Tippett would have replaced Turco with Smith even if Turco's numbers were similar to this years. Smith's second year can be debated, but I still will default back to the track record.

It's nice to believe Turco's problems this year are because he doesn't have anyone to push him, but his history doesn't show having a capable netminder behind him has done anything. It's something else. Perhaps he's just having a bad season. It does happen.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Caseman

Maybe Turco just sucks now.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
map94

I'd love to see the Stars sign Bouwmeester and I think we have a better shot than many teams to sign him. However, he's going to get a monster contract that I'm not sure management is going to be ready to give out this year. I hope Hicks doesn't want to tighten the wallet a little bit after the Avery contract failure and the slowing economy.

Even with the economy going down and talk of a lower cap, Bouwmeester will still get the big contract. He should get a bigger deal than Campbell got last year ($7.1M for 8 yrs). And since he's so young, it'll be hard for a team to play cap games by adding cheap years at the end of a contract to lower the cap number unless you give him a 15 year deal. I could easily see him getting $8M for ten years.

I really wish we could find some sucker to take Avery off our hands...

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
I'd love to see the Stars sign Bouwmeester and I think we have a better shot than many teams to sign him. However, he's going to get a monster contract that I'm not sure management is going to be ready to give out this year. I hope Hicks doesn't want to tighten the wallet a little bit after the Avery contract failure and the slowing economy.

Even with the economy going down and talk of a lower cap, Bouwmeester will still get the big contract. He should get a bigger deal than Campbell got last year ($7.1M for 8 yrs). And since he's so young, it'll be hard for a team to play cap games by adding cheap years at the end of a contract to lower the cap number unless you give him a 15 year deal. I could easily see him getting $8M for ten years.

I think the asking price for him via trade will be to steep. I would bet it would cost us Benn + Eriksson + Daley or Robidas.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
map94

I wouldn't trade for Bouwmeester this season unless he signed a new contract. I don't think he will do that and will become a free agent. So, I whould just wait and make a play this summer.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
It's not a good thing at all. Teams don't want uncertainty built into their budget. Niedermayer's delay put the Ducks in cap hell.
The uncertainty was because of Niedermayer changing his mind.

Niedermayer led Burke to believe that he was done, so Schnieder was signed to take his place. If Niedermayer had committed to coming back, then Burke would have left that cap space open and there wouldn't have been any problem..

This is one of the few loophole type things in the CBA. Why not plan for it and use it to our advantage? (Assuming Sergei is on board with the idea...)

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
No its Boris Valabik we were both wrong haha
I agree about leths and zubie but i much rather have lehts then zubie though
Are there anyother top d prospects that you think we should get
Sorry man. I was just messing with ya on the name.

I agree about Lehts. I think he is still a great 3rd liner and wicked on the pk. Zubov looks like the odd man out to me. Not good enough to be a number one and I don't want to give up any of the other guys for him to have a spot. I like the kids and I like Robidas.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
txdude5101

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I think the asking price for him via trade will be to steep. I would bet it would cost us Benn + Eriksson + Daley or Robidas.
I would rather see Daley go with the Avery Trade if we do trade him
we have a good prospect in the minors Fistric I think i spelt it wrong
I wish we could hear bout trade rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
Sorry man. I was just messing with ya on the name.

I agree about Lehts. I think he is still a great 3rd liner and wicked on the pk. Zubov looks like the odd man out to me. Not good enough to be a number one and I don't want to give up any of the other guys for him to have a spot. I like the kids and I like Robidas.
Ya man Robidas has gotten the number one d down, I really hope the stars sign Leths and let zubov just retire or trade the rights to sign him away if you are able to do that

Old
01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Zubov is the only player on this team that's good enough to be a No. 1 defenseman. The last time he was fully healthy (first half of last season), he was great. You can't judge him on the handful of games this year or the playoffs last year.

If he wants to come back, the Stars would be fools not to sign him to a reasonable deal given their cap structure at the time. That's made easier by the bonus cushion coming back in.

People who think Robidas is a No. 1 D aren't paying attention. He's a 4-5 type player who can play above his head for stretches but not for half a season or more. This team doesn't have a No. 1 D right now.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Zubov is the only player on this team that's good enough to be a No. 1 defenseman. The last time he was fully healthy (first half of last season), he was great. You can't judge him on the handful of games this year or the playoffs last year.

If he wants to come back, the Stars would be fools not to sign him to a reasonable deal given their cap structure at the time. That's made easier by the bonus cushion coming back in.

People who think Robidas is a No. 1 D aren't paying attention. He's a 4-5 type player who can play above his head for stretches but not for half a season or more. This team doesn't have a No. 1 D right now.
Couldn't agree more regarding Zubov. If he gets healthy, he's still the best D on our team next year unless we hit the lottery in free agency. He might still be the best D on half the teams in the NHL, if he gets healthy. I don't think he gets signed for cheap, but he might accept a contract with bonuses that gives the team flexibility and protection. That could be his "home town discount".

If I'm the GM I offer Zubov a $3M base salary with up to about $3M in bonuses. Maybe $1M each for 55, 65 and 75 games played. So if he's healthy and plays all season he makes number one D money. If he just wants to sell himself to the top bidder, someone will take a chance and pay him at least $5M, maybe more. Teams seem to pay too much for veteran defense. I mean 2 years ago Pittsburgh gave Sydor $2.5M for two years and couldn't be seen as anything but a third pairing guy and wasn't worth $1M for one year.

Old
01-29-2009, 04:23 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The best situation with Zubov and Lehtinen is to have them sit out the first part of the season then sign them in January of 2010.
That way they have a much better chance at being healthy for the playoffs. Of course this isn't going to happen, but would be best for both sides and don't play them that many minutes in the regular season.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:37 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The best situation with Zubov and Lehtinen is to have them sit out the first part of the season then sign them in January of 2010.
That way they have a much better chance at being healthy for the playoffs. Of course this isn't going to happen, but would be best for both sides and don't play them that many minutes in the regular season.
I don't see either player wanting to do this, but I know what you mean. Unless we upgrade our defense, I'm not sure I agree in Zubov's case. This season has really shown how much we need a number one D that we just don't have at the moment. Maybe one of the young guys will get there in a couple seasons, but that's a very big maybe right now. Plus, Zubov missed the last half of last season and all but 10 games this season. If he sits out the first half of next season you're talking about him having missed almost 2 full seasons. I wouldn't count on him suiting up next January and being very sharp.

Old
01-29-2009, 06:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
The Stars need Zubov and Lehtinen to be on the ice for every single possible game in order to be competitive. They are still at least top 5 players on this team, and I would go as far as to say top 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
People who think Robidas is a No. 1 D aren't paying attention. He's a 4-5 type player who can play above his head for stretches but not for half a season or more.
1? No. 4-5? No. 2-4, Yes.

Last edited by piqued: 01-30-2009 at 12:40 AM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote