HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Ted Nolan

Old
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Correct me if I'm wrong but Nolan was scolded publicly for NOT playing Rick, and many lauded Rick (before surgery #5 or 6 or 7) as a goalie who SHOULD be gettting 60-70 starts?

I always maintained (to much grief from others) that he shouldn't start 50 games and never start more than 5 in a row or 6 if he's rolling given the drop off in his performance after "too many" games. I got ridiculed for saying such but now isn't it refreshing to see agreement with how much stress he puts on his body due to sizzling bacon and bad positioning?

I'm not going to say I was right, you were wrong to anyone, but given the events, hopefully the team will see Rick is not a 60-70 gamer and we need a legit (not Snow, Doneham/Mac) type 1A to remove the burden from DP's body.

I believe honestly the team was pushing their centerpiece star player for the fans sake (and ticket buyers) and perhaps underestimated the nature of his injuries and now he's shelved this year and possibly the start of next, if not further.

Maybe we should question if the medical staff was so inept? Maybe the team (as they've done through all coaches the past few years) is handling this?

So maybe it was not Nolan.....or Sterling.....Or Gordon.....or anyone but the same character who has been a constant in charge throughout? (hint: Milbury and Snow had one common boss or both believed in understating injuries)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Were you at this meeting? No, you weren't. Do you know anyone who was at this meeting personally? No, you don't. Outside of speculation and what one hears in the media, one can't make a honest judgment about someone. Rumours and gossip is all most fans have to work with.
This info was reported by Newsday's Logan after Nolan was fired.
Don't like the truth.Well keep sticking your head in the sand.

Quote:
Nolan thought he was brought here to motivate and to win. I think, and most of you will agree according to your posts from when he was coach, he did a decent job with what he had. He gave the kids as much time as he thought he could without risking the L.

He just wasn't what Wang wanted in the long term. He's not coming back here, even if the Islanders wanted him back... and they don't. Nolan enjoyed his time here and owes Wang a debt of gratitude for taking a chance on him. If anyone here has met him or knows someone who has met him they would know what type of person he is.
Yes he gave the team all he had.I think even he'd acknowledeged he didn't quickly get aboard Wang' s building with youth movement.

And there's no excuse for trying to distance himself from the losing,to hockey people outside the organization.Win as a team.Lost as a team.Yeah another report from Logan!

None of Logan's comments where disputed by Nolan.If I were a fired coach and a reporter was lying about my comments and actions,I'd publicly call him on it.Try to clear my name.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah....don't take a job where you might be able to introduce logic to an eccentric and controlling owner who wishes to reinvent the wheel.
Did someone tie Smith up and force him to accept Wang's job terms?Tambellini Sr. and Lombardi looked over Wang's terms and said no,not interested.
Smith was aware of Wang's gm by committee approach.Like it,dislike it.Wang was the owner,the one deciding the terms.Don't like those terms?then just say no and walk away.

Quote:
Snow got what Smith was fired over right away FWIW. Me thinks when proven STUPID, Wang curtsied a bit and gave off tons of press to make the world know Snow has no committee to answer to.

Snow accepted the job under the same gm by committee terms.Later when Wang realized his gm by committee approach was not working,he changed the terms.He gave Snow more power,along the lines of the rest of the league's gms.

Quote:
FWIW, Crew....do you still hate LaFontaine, that traitor?
You are so full it.I have never made the comment that LaFontaine was a traitor.I've commented that I wish he'd remained like Trottier and Bossy after Smith's firing because they gave the isles some much needed respect around the league.

Find a post of mine.Any post,calling LaFontaine a traitor!

Quote:
So Nolan should have stepped up and admitted he told a player in confidence Wang was meddling as Wang does since he's a genius and a role model for all mankind. Nolan should have just allowed himself to get fired, the player is not to blame for meddling and leaking this to Wang/press, and whatever Wang wants, you want. OK. Nolan should not have protected his job and come clean. This makes Wang's meddling AOK since Nolan's the bad guy. Good logic.

How is Wang to blame because this player says he lost respect for Nolan,after this lying incident?Did Wang lie? Did the player lie? How is it that Wang and the player are the ones at fault here?

Quote:
When Gorton gets sacked for being a sad sack will we get to hear about how bad Gorton is? How he's clueless? I'm betting a large sum on your next cause celebre. No offense....but you're 100% apologist with this team. I just want to win.
Another imaginery comment I'm supposed to have made? Funny, I don't recall ever saying Nolan was a bad coach,that he was totally clueless.i

Quote:
Lavy's also unemployed. Is he too far removed from the Isles to be demonized by the Wang Hawks?
Is Carolina's firing of lavy also somehow Wang's fault?

Quote:
Okposo looks worse. Bailey is not doing much. Tamby is the same (still no defense or corners). Bergy is worse. Our kids are worse. But Gorton's saying the right things to an owner and GM that are jokes in this league! Gorton's job is safe! (like Milbury's was under the same brilliant man
Okposo- said in Newsday that his slow start this season is his own fault.He says he and Gordon spoke,with Gordon telling him he needed to do more then just be happy to have made it and stuck in the nhl,that Okposo needed to play with the hunger that got him to the nhl.

Tambellini-I've been saying on this board and another one,that he's a waste of roster space for about 2 seasons now.I did agree with some other posters that the Isles should probably give him a full season to see if he's worth keeping.

Neilsen-one of the kids who's supposedly worse has impressed me.I expected he'd develop into a 3rd/4th liner.After this season,I have hopes he can develop into a solid 2nd liner.

Comeau-Started this season like KO,not playing hard enough.Was demoted,but played his way back onto the nhl roster.Gordon said he sees Comeau developing into a hardworking 3rd liner.His view of Comeau's potentail is probably more realistic then nyi fans view of Comeau's potential.

Bergy-It's up to Bergy to raise his play as the season goes along,show progress.Neilsen and KO have.

Gervais-Didn't impress me under Nolan.hasn't impressed me under Gordon.

This is yr one under Gordon.I am not concerned with wins/losses.I want to see steady progress from the youngsters.Those that don't make progress or look to slow,will hopefully be beaten out by other youngsters in next yr's training camp.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote