HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sher-Wood 5030 shoulder pads

Old
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
zakhawk91

vCash: 500
Sher-Wood 5030 shoulder pads

i need new shoulder pads and want to get these, they are the white traditonal model that came out in 2007. Now I've they are not to great from a friend. Anyone out there know anything or have tried them? thanks

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i use sherwood them. they are very thin and to be honest not the most protective thing, alot of other shoulder pads have a little more padding and harder and bigger shoulder cups, but that means its not as easy to move around in them. these sherwoods are good for being able to move around nice and freely. they are pretty thin, i dont use them for all games

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

They are fine for rec league hockey. I use them in my non-contact league. They're fine. I like them because they are so light and you can really move around. I've even crashed the boards hard and didn't get hurt (well the bruises hurt, but I didn't get injured). I haven't taken a slapshot hit from a puck yet and that is my biggest worry. I used to have really big robocop shoulder pads and I never thought twice about blocking shots. But now I still have that block every shot mentality, but I forget that I have really thin pads on.
A lot of guys in this league don't even wear shoulder pads though, so I figure I will be okay.
I might try some light Nike or Easton ones though and see how they feel. I'll never go back to the robocop style pads though. Huge pads are brutal for limiting your movement.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Oh yeah, the best thing about the 5030's is if you find you don't like them, they only cost around $30.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
They are fine for rec league hockey. I use them in my non-contact league. They're fine. I like them because they are so light and you can really move around. I've even crashed the boards hard and didn't get hurt (well the bruises hurt, but I didn't get injured). I haven't taken a slapshot hit from a puck yet and that is my biggest worry. I used to have really big robocop shoulder pads and I never thought twice about blocking shots. But now I still have that block every shot mentality, but I forget that I have really thin pads on.
A lot of guys in this league don't even wear shoulder pads though, so I figure I will be okay.
I might try some light Nike or Easton ones though and see how they feel. I'll never go back to the robocop style pads though. Huge pads are brutal for limiting your movement.
I bought my current Jofa pads BECAUSE it has a big raised plate on the chest. Crazy fear is taking a puck to the chest and suffering heart arrhythmia. They're bulky, though, and I once looked at the Sher-wood pads but they offer nothing in the way of chest protection. I tried these Easton pads recently and they're decent. I didn't buy them because they're not that big of an upgrade over what I'm wearing and I couldn't see spending the extra money. Worth checking out, though.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
zakhawk91

my friend actually has those same shoulder pads. now I know for a fact that Cam Jannsen wears the Sherwoods I'm talking about. They have to be decent if NHLers wear them right? The reason I ask is because I like the classic look and I always have wondered what it would be like to have some extra mobility

Old
01-18-2009, 11:21 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
my friend actually has those same shoulder pads. now I know for a fact that Cam Jannsen wears the Sherwoods I'm talking about. They have to be decent if NHLers wear them right? The reason I ask is because I like the classic look and I always have wondered what it would be like to have some extra mobility
Note McSorley's shoulder pads:

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:02 AM
zakhawk91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Note McSorley's shoulder pads:

crazyness not to wear any.
awesome fight too thank you for posting it

but I was referring to the 5030 pads, not shoulder pads in general
I meant if an NHL player wears the 5030, then they must be decent at least

Old
01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
crazyness not to wear any.
awesome fight too thank you for posting it

but I was referring to the 5030 pads, not shoulder pads in general
I meant if an NHL player wears the 5030, then they must be decent at least
An NHL player wore a pair of shoulder cups stitched onto his suspenders. I would not say that those are very decent as far as shoulder pads go.

5030s are a throwback to the old-style pads that some guys like. There are guys in the NHL who have worn the same pads since they were in bantam. Some old cooper pads that are held together with string and duct tape aren't really very good shoulder pads. They're great for mobility, but not very good as actual pads.

The 5030s are fine for what they're made for, which is giving lots of mobility and a bit of padding for guys who aren't too worried about protection. They're fine for rec leagues and whatnot, but I don't think I'd be wearing them in a checking league if I had to go to work the next morning.

Old
01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

If you want what's popular with NHLers for protection, the Jofas are what you're looking for (Owned by RBK now, they're co branded- in the US they say RBK made by Jofa). The top of the line Jofas are by far the most popular shoulder pad in all of pro hockey.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-9k-s...lder-pads.html

The Sher wood 5030 are pads for people who basically don't want protection. They provide a shoulder cap to protect the shoulder joint and don't offer any protection beyond that. Fine if you're a forward like Gretzky who needs a lot of mobility, ( He wore something very similar, if not the same pad) But if you're blocking shots or getting checked a lot, bad idea, at least if you're not doing it for a job.

And really, a lot of the new top of the line 'bulky' shoulder pads have lots of movement with a lot more protection. I wouldn't go with the 5030's personally.

Last edited by cptjeff: 01-19-2009 at 12:47 AM.
cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
If you want what's popular with NHLers for protection, the Jofas are what you're looking for (Owned by RBK now, they're co branded). The top of the line Jofas are by far the most popular shoulder pad in all of pro hockey.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-9k-s...lder-pads.html

The Sher wood 5030 are pads for people who basically don't want protection. They provide a shoulder cap to protect the shoulder joint and don't offer any protection beyond that. Fine if you're a forward like Gretzky who needs a lot of mobility, ( He wore something very similar, if not the same pad) But if you're blocking shots or getting checked a lot, bad idea, at least if you're not doing it for a job.

And really, a lot of the new top of the line 'bulky' shoulder pads have lots of movement with a lot more protection. I wouldn't go with the 5030's personally.
yea i only use mine in practice

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use them and love them, although I only play lower level adult rec leagues.

Pros:

- Light weight keeps you A LOT cooler on the ice and don't notice they're on at all
- Decent protection in the shoulders
- Easy to put jerseys on over them
- Only $30 or so new

Cons:

- Not much protection for the chest and back, no spine or abdominal protection
- Sometimes come untied or twist around when they come loose
- Gets kind of dirty/nasty with the white cloth (stains yellow)

If you're playing a higher level of hockey or block shots, I'd skip them and check out the low level Bauers, Itech, or similar. They have thicker padding and some spine/ab protection. Otherwise for beer league forwards, they are great.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
zakhawk91

thank you for the feedback everyone. im a 17 year old playing forward playing in a major A/AA league, so do you think it would be wise to not get these?

Old
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
thank you for the feedback everyone. im a 17 year old playing forward playing in a major A/AA league, so do you think it would be wise to not get these?
Oh, definitely don't get these. Go for high end RBK's instead- the Jofa pad that's the most popular thing in all pro and high level hockey.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I'd skip the 5030s. There are plenty of pads that offer good mobility, and aren't basically made of paper.