HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommend New Skates For Me (and question about Fury sticks)

Old
01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Recommend New Skates For Me (and question about Fury sticks)

as a follow up the the other thread i made about the one 70s, recommend a new pair of skates for me. right now im running the old bauer supreme 3000s. they are too big and hurt my feet. what is the 400 $$ difference between the 70s and the one 95? is it mostly cosmetic and maybe the stiffness and liner?

the price range im looking at is no more than $250. I have a normal to high arched foot. Obviously i was looking at the one 70s so something in that price range would be good. Ive worn vapor xxxx before on the ice but they were too small. i felt unbalanced in them so im not too fond of the vapor series. i dont play in any kind of serious league

a more specific question is how are the easton skates?

any recommendations would be much appreciated

thanks

the other question i had

does anyone have a fury stick? are they any good? i really cant find any information on them. if anyone could let me know about them, whehter they are a one piece, what kind of blades they have etc. i would really appreciate it

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 01-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
EmptyNetter

I just bought a pair of Easton SE10's and I like them. Bought them for $279 so they're just out of your stated range unless you can find them cheaper. They've got good arch support and they're much lighter than the Tacks I was wearing. They've also got a lower cuff so I can flex my ankles a bit more and improve my agility. Also, they're bakeable.

I also tried the SE6 which was about $80 cheaper but the fit was too good in the SE10's that I had to buy them. I think there was less arch support in the 6's but I honestly can't remember.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Depends on what feels comfortable.

I've worn a bunch of different skates and have tried on almost every pair. NBH make my feet hurt like you wouldn't believe. Missions are very high arched and Eastons get too sloppy with my narrow heels.

The Tacks series fit me very well and since then I've switched over to the RBK 9Ks because of the pump feature. It allows the space around my heel (that I have hte biggest problem with fitting wise) to adjust.

Anyway, my .2 cents.

01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks for the recommendations. im going to look into the eastons, hopefully they go on sale somewhere. i dont really like the tacks series, how are the vectors? i know the ccm u skates are really nice but are WAYYYYY out of my price range. i dont like the blade runner system though

i just added a "bonus" question because i dont want to start a new thread since i just started this one

what are your thoughts on the easton s11?

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 01-18-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old
01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
thanks for the recommendations. im going to look into the eastons, hopefully they go on sale somewhere. i dont really like the tacks series, how are the vectors? i know the ccm u skates are really nice but are WAYYYYY out of my price range. i dont like the blade runner system though

i just added a "bonus" question because i dont want to start a new thread since i just started this one

what are your thoughts on the easton s11?
I didn't have a problem with the Vectors, I went half a size smaller on them than I did with my Tacks, but then again I'm a freak and like small skates.

Size 5 for the win!

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
stick9

Huge difference between the One70 and One95....much more than cosmetic. The only thing the One70 and One95 share is they are both ice hockey skates.

The Vapor line is a completely different fit than the Supreme line.

You really need to sit down at your local hockey shop and find a skate that fits your foot the best. Don't pigeon hole yourself by saying you want to see this model or that model. Walk in, tell them your price range and let them fit your foot to the proper skate.

Fury sticks aren't bad, a touch heavy though. You can find better for the same money...sometimes even less money.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Huge difference between the One70 and One95....much more than cosmetic. The only thing the One70 and One95 share is they are both ice hockey skates.

The Vapor line is a completely different fit than the Supreme line.

You really need to sit down at your local hockey shop and find a skate that fits your foot the best. Don't pigeon hole yourself by saying you want to see this model or that model. Walk in, tell them your price range and let them fit your foot to the proper skate.

Fury sticks aren't bad, a touch heavy though. You can find better for the same money...sometimes even less money.
thanks, i appreciate the response. what is the big differnce between teh top end model skates and mid level? is it mostly the weight? ive heard teh liner and tongue is different but that doesnt seem to be THATT big of a deal

Old
01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
tcjsport1928

The vectors are amazing i have the v10 and they are the best skate i have ever used. Right now hockey giant has mission wicked skates 50% off they are normally 200 all you have to do is use wicked0119.

tcjsport1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Jigger77

I was told to stick with the make you're used to. If you skated your whole life in CCM skates stick with them. I've used Bauers my whole life and I just bought a pair of Vapor 25s and I had no problem adjusting whatsoever. They did hurt my feet a little after the first game but that's pretty normal.

A trick you can use on the bench if you find them really rigid is to soak them with some of the bottled water on the bench. Sounds crazy but it really helps them mold to your feet and break in properly.

Just what I've heard. Hope it helps.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
stick9

Quote:
thanks, i appreciate the response. what is the big differnce between teh top end model skates and mid level? is it mostly the weight? ive heard teh liner and tongue is different but that doesnt seem to be THATT big of a deal
Those two skates, it's everything. The boot itself is different. The One70 is a standard boot, the One95 is a composite boot. Side by side the difference is obvious.

Now if it was the One75 and One95. There would still be differences, just not as drastic. Same goes for the Easton S15 and S11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77
I was told to stick with the make you're used to. If you skated your whole life in CCM skates stick with them.
That's not very good advice. As a company develops a skate line, they may change the fit and or shape of the boot. Bauer has two lines that fit completely different. CCM Vectors fit completely different than CCM Tacks.

Quote:
A trick you can use on the bench if you find them really rigid is to soak them with some of the bottled water on the bench. Sounds crazy but it really helps them mold to your feet and break in properly.
I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Old
01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Those two skates, it's everything. The boot itself is different. The One70 is a standard boot, the One95 is a composite boot. Side by side the difference is obvious.

Now if it was the One75 and One95. There would still be differences, just not as drastic. Same goes for the Easton S15 and S11.

That's not very good advice. As a company develops a skate line, they may change the fit and or shape of the boot. Bauer has two lines that fit completely different. CCM Vectors fit completely different than CCM Tacks.

I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Lol....Didn't realize we were dealing with an expert here. Sweat is what ultimately will break in your skate and allow the leather to loosen or mold to the shape of you foot. All the water does is help this process.

Sticking to the same brand-make you're used to isn't advice I heard from a 3 year old kid either. It was from a very reputable hockey-only store salesman. I'll take his word over yours.

Worked really well for me. All I was saying.

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-19-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Lol....Didn't realize we were dealing with an expert here. Sweat is what ultimately will break in your skate and allow the leather to loosen or mold to the shape of you foot. All the water does is help this process.

Sticking to the same brand-make you're used to isn't advice I heard from a 3 year old kid either. It was from a very reputable hockey-only store salesman. I'll take his word over yours.

Skates are molded with heat so I fail to see how cold water from a water bottle will help soften them up. All the water did was soak the liner making it feel softer.

Truth be known, some brands have changed the design and fit of their boots. It's not quite as simple as stick with one brand and you'll be fine.

And that's what I was getting at.

Old
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:

You would be right maybe a few years ago. Not with today's skate material construction.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Yeah, today you need to get them baked. Heat activates the foams and allows them to form to your foot perfectly. In the one 95, the boot itself will change shape to your foot- which is why it has a base price of nearly 800 dollars. It's ridiculously expensive to make, but also provides a perfect fit as long as your foot is close to it's design.

Get the skates baked, don't try water and such. They'll be broken in the first time you step on the ice, more or less.

Oh, and the stick with the same brand is a good idea if you're staying within the same line of skates. But if you're going from tacks and trying on Vectors, those skates are incredibly different in fit. If you fit one, you probably won't fit the other. The Supreme line in Bauer is much wider then the Vapors, they're very different fits. Bauer also changed the fit of the Supreme line from the One 90 to the One 95, so the fit on those isn't the same. Which is why you try them on. Absolutely positively.

Edit: By the way, I suppose I should also mention that skates aren't made of leather anymore. Composites and synthetic materials pretty much exclusively.

Last edited by cptjeff: 01-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.
cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Heat McManus

Fury sticks are a bit boxy and a tad top-heavy. Not the worst things in the world, but not the greatest. If you can find some for about $75 or so, pull the trigger.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Fury sticks are a bit boxy and a tad top-heavy. Not the worst things in the world, but not the greatest. If you can find some for about $75 or so, pull the trigger.
yep, completly true. i tried it out today (it was a junior) but very top heavy. the curve is a heal curve and an open face. the kids whose it is missed an open net high from about 10 feet. the blade is the same size as my senior stick. its not too bad though

Old
01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Skates are molded with heat so I fail to see how cold water from a water bottle will help soften them up. All the water did was soak the liner making it feel softer.

Truth be known, some brands have changed the design and fit of their boots. It's not quite as simple as stick with one brand and you'll be fine.

And that's what I was getting at.
Indeed. Makes much better sense when you explain yourself instead of giving me a one line rebuttal.

I should have mentionned, you have to do this when you are already warmed up. A because you won't freeze your feet this way and B because it will heat the water.

I had my skates baked at the store and as others mentionned they were basically broken in by the time I played the first game.

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-20-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
does anyone have a fury stick? are they any good? i really cant find any information on them. if anyone could let me know about them, whehter they are a one piece, what kind of blades they have etc. i would really appreciate it
I haven't used a full Fury stick, but I bought a half dozen of their blades off of Hockey Giant on sale for around $3 each last year. I loved them. They didn't last all that long for roller, but they were the best blades for roller I've found yet.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Indeed. Makes much better sense when you explain yourself instead of giving me a one line rebuttal.

I should have mentionned, you have to do this when you are already warmed up. A because you won't freeze your feet this way and B because it will heat the water.

I had my skates baked at the store and as others mentionned they were basically broken in by the time I played the first game.
Still not a good idea to pour water. With modern skates, the only thing it will do is possibly cause blisters. It won't help your skate break in at all since they're not made of leather anymore.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
therealdeal

Go to a store and try skates on, the internet won't tell you how a skate will fit on your foot.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
as a follow up the the other thread i made about the one 70s, recommend a new pair of skates for me. right now im running the old bauer supreme 3000s. they are too big and hurt my feet. what is the 400 $$ difference between the 70s and the one 95? is it mostly cosmetic and maybe the stiffness and liner?

the price range im looking at is no more than $250. I have a normal to high arched foot. Obviously i was looking at the one 70s so something in that price range would be good. Ive worn vapor xxxx before on the ice but they were too small. i felt unbalanced in them so im not too fond of the vapor series. i dont play in any kind of serious league

a more specific question is how are the easton skates?
One70s are not comparable to one95s, first off the one70 does not exist. Now the Supreme 70s are different from the on95s in price because they are different lines as well as different construction. The one75 is a current line model that is below the one95, both are composite but the one75 is just an upgraded one90(from the Supreme 70s line, 2 years old) as opposed to the new one95. The fit isn't even close between the two models. The Supreme 70 fits closer to the one95 but is not as deep and obviously is not fully thermomoldable like the one95.

As far as Eastons, wide and flat. They fit similar to the Flexlites.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
first off the one70 does not exist.
I catch myself referring to the Supreme 70's as One70's. Probably more so now since the new Supreme line carries the One in all of the models.