HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help Buying Skates

Old
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Help Buying Skates

I went to my local Play It Again Sports store to buy some skates today and had a horrible experience.I told the guy my foot size (14) and he said, "No we don't have them in your size". I said to him "I had size 11 skates before and they seemed to big".(Sides of the skates were very lose and my feet were angled when I skated). The guy continued to be unhelpful so I walked out of the place.

Does anyone know a more helpful store that I could go to? I'm in Valencia so I'd like to go to a place in the San Fernando Valley but I'm willing to drive a ways.

Thanks in advanced

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:14 AM
kmd mode

Zero Celsius is a good place to go and it's in valencia. it's the proshop in the Valencia Ice Station. 2 of my teammates work their and they're very helpful and know their stuff.

kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
DIEHARD jr

The only stores that I know are the Culver City Pro shop run by a guy named Hans you should know what your buying before you go. The real good store is in El Segundo and thats really a good store.

DIEHARD jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
markisonfire

Discount Hockey is in Agoura Hills and they are very knowledgeable. You can order from their website (http://www.discounthockey.com) though I personally like to try on skates before buying them. But you may want to check prices with any skates you try on in Valencia. Good luck!

By the way, I just got CCM V04 skates (I'm assuming you were talking about ice skates by the way...) and I really like them.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
sports authority, theres one in lb

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 02:39 AM
KingLB

Yea, the pro-shop at the Valencia rink(IceStation) is gonna be your best bet, they are pretty knowledgeable and prices are decent. That being said if you were to need to get anything besides skates i would suggest looking there then buying online (hockey giant/hockey monkey), as prices can usually be between $15-$30 cheaper on most items. But when you buy skates you almost have to do them in a store cause most skates are "baked" so they fit to your foot better, which should help with the problem you had last time. If none of those choices work for you the headquarters of hockey giant/hockey monkey are both in Anaheim and i pretty sure that's the best selection your gonna get in socal.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
BringTheReign

The pro shop at the Valencia rink was very nice the last time I had a game up there. They will at least know what they're talking about and be helpful there.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Thanks guys

Old
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I went to my local Play It Again Sports store to buy some skates today and had a horrible experience.I told the guy my foot size (14) and he said, "No we don't have them in your size". I said to him "I had size 11 skates before and they seemed to big".(Sides of the skates were very lose and my feet were angled when I skated). The guy continued to be unhelpful so I walked out of the place.

Does anyone know a more helpful store that I could go to? I'm in Valencia so I'd like to go to a place in the San Fernando Valley but I'm willing to drive a ways.

Thanks in advanced
Hey, way back when I bought my skates at that particular Play It Again Sports.

Also, here's a sizing chart based on shoe size and brand: http://hockeygiant.com/ice-hockey-skates.html. Don't take it as the gospel, but it should be a helpful guide (for example, I wear a 10.5 shoe, but my CCM skates are a size 7 that I baked to glove-fitting perfection).

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:20 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Thanks guys
i was kinda hoping no one would help. i enjoyed watching you skate around like you had a stilt extensions in your skates.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
i was kinda hoping no one would help. i enjoyed watching you skate around like you had a stilt extensions in your skates.
"Wear thick socks"

Old
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Hey, way back when I bought my skates at that particular Play It Again Sports.

Also, here's a sizing chart based on shoe size and brand: http://hockeygiant.com/ice-hockey-skates.html. Don't take it as the gospel, but it should be a helpful guide (for example, I wear a 10.5 shoe, but my CCM skates are a size 7 that I baked to glove-fitting perfection).
Wow... I thought I liked squeezing into my skates. 11 shoe in 8.5 CCM's.

Do you wear socks?

Edit: Yay! 1,000 posts

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Whatever you do, go to a skate shop. The one at Toyota Sports cCenter is good, (pricey too) but Jake is the guy there who knows his stuff. Golden Bear is now closed after 30+ years in Culver City, leaving only Am/Can, run by Hans which is at Culver Ice rink, on Sepulveda but Jr. is correct you should know what you want before you go in, otherwise what's best for you is the prodcut he is long on this week.

The best deals are on the Web, but you need to get skates sized, and baked on to your feet, in person nowadays. If you dont mind the drive, your best bet may be in Anaslime at Hockey Giant.

P.S. size 14 feet? Whast do you got, Yehti blood in those veins?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

I know, it's terrible. . .I can't buy shoes in stores because they never have my size. . .

Thanks guys.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
kingdoughty

Go to the rink where the Express play. They have a pretty nice shop there.

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
droller*

I saw this show up as I scrolled down the Nucks board... thought I could provide some advice as I've bought lots of skates before up here in Canada where the sales reps are quite good.

1 - in your situation, goto one of these stores that has been recommended by the above posters. goto a place that specializes in ice sports if at all possible. hockey, figure skating, ringette, etc

2 - be willing to pay a little more for good service. you want the skates to fit properly and are making a rather large purchase. the worst thing is wearing skates that don't fit or arent comfortable. get them to size you up.

3 - no need to wear "thin socks" - wear whatever you would like to for playing hockey. myself, i wear a thicker sock because my feet will begin to freeze and it's rather painful.

4 - get the store to heat mold them. they heat the skate up, and then tie them up on your feet. helps the break in process.

5 - break them in... will probably be akward and moderately painful for the 1st bit. you may have to tighten/loosen the skates as you play. if your old skates had short blades on them, you will feel like your "leaning back" a bit... it's due to being on a higher blade that hasn't been grinded down all too well.

6 - take good care of them. get your skates sharpened at a good place. i cannot stress this enough. in LA i'm sure it's worse too. if you have someone that doesnt know what they're doing, they will complete ******* up your skates, and you will get them replaced, which isn't cheap. poor skarpeners will "rock" the skate on the stone... (think of well worn skate blades that have no blade on the toe or heel - the skates have been rocked improperly or the guy just refuses to buy new blades)

from personal experience, make sure the skates have the right width. i have a wide foot and a skate that is too narrow absolutely throbs my feet. it's a terrible feeling.

don't be afraid to shell out some decent money for a higher end pair. they will last you for years, and you will be happy with your purchase a year or two down the road.

GL

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote