HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can We Stop Blaming the Refs for Once?

Old
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
KuroElite*

vCash: 500
here another stat to contradict the favoritism, rangers pp 19 to pens pp 18 in 4 games played. in the rags 3 home games the advantage was plus 4 ....calls probably missed both ways its hockey. its not an exact science. hey i love the passion you guys got for your team, i hope im not stirring up things, just like to bring up another point of view.

KuroElite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Jersey Girl

I almost never blame the referees, I believe the calls even out over an entire season. That said, watching the Chicago game was frustrating. While I don't necessarily question the calls against the Rangers, if they were going to call it that close, they certainly had opportunity to call things against the 'hawks as well...but many times they didn't.

Micheletti has got to stop with the whining, though, he sounded like a little kid. We get it, Joe, you didn't like the calls. Stop acting like a child and start doing some real analysis for a change.

'They just go, don't they?' is not quite up to some of the really good analysts is the league.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroElite View Post
what preference brotha, the rangers have the bigger edge in pp adv...do you scream at that or take it for what it is, rags plus 21 pens plus 6 figure it out....you sound like the basic homer who expects every game to go his way...sorry it;s the nhl...im sure you werent complaining when gretz was getting calls, but that is due to his stature which he deserved....
See thats where your wrong, I dont believe players should be treated differently based on their stature in the league, thats absolutely contrary to any attempts to provide integrity to the game. Whats called against Lauri Korpikoski should be called against Jarome Iginla and thats exactly whats wrong with officiating, too much is left up to the discretion of the official. Hooking is different for every referee, boarding is different, interference, even slashing, two many men and goalie interference are subjective now. Practically the only penalty that is always cut and dry is high sticking (if they dont miss it).

Its got nothing to do with being a Homer, I watch every Ranger game whether they are winning or losing, good seasons and bad, but I love hockey and if complaining about poor officiating and hoping something is done to sure it up makes me a homer than I'm ok with that. And its not because we lost that I'm complaining, I torched the officiating just as bad or worse friday night after we won. If friday had never happened maybe the refs wouldnt have gotten to me so bad in the Pens game.

No ones doing Hockey any favors by saying the officiating sucks sometimes but we just overlook it because it balances out in the long run...maybe

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
here another stat to contradict the favoritism, rangers pp 19 to pens pp 18 in 4 games played. in the rags 3 home games the advantage was plus 4 ....calls probably missed both ways its hockey. its not an exact science. hey i love the passion you guys got for your team, i hope im not stirring up things, just like to bring up another point of view.
Kuro, I completely see what your saying, but if you want to go with that logic to date
Rangers +4 pp in 3 home games
Pens +3 in just the first

could it end up the pens plus 4 after 3 games, sure
but it could also end up pens plus 10 after 3 games, and maybe the Rangers will have deserved it for sloppy play, but when it comes down to it, there are too many bad calls/missed calls, calls made on innocent plays, and a blind eye than turned on a dangerous one...

Old
01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
'They just go, don't they?' is not quite up to some of the really good analysts is the league.
Lmao, agreed, but we'll never have a JD again I fear

Old
01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

didnt have much of an issue with the reffing yesterday whatsoever.

The Chicago game though....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I'm not going to get into this heated arguement just tell me this.

In what way did crosby deserve a penalty shot? because the guy in white touched him? crosby falls on her ass more on his own than from checks.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:38 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
why should they complain?
but there are quite some who say it's a weak call when it's a weak call, even in favour of the rangers. but complaining...no, but that's just like any other team.
Then their complaint has nothing to do with "poor officiating".

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by APStyleGuide99 View Post
Please stop complaining about the officiating.

It's so childish and it's a lame attempt to cover up your insecurities as a Rangers fan. Pittsburgh played a great game yesterday and the Rangers were invisible. Here's an idea for the Rangers: STOP TAKING PENALTIES IN THE FIRST TWO MINUTES OF A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the Pens with a passion and it's pretty obvious that they fashion their game around drawing penalties. But saying there is some NHL conspiracy or that the Pens having more PP's caused the Rangers to lose is as stupid a theory I think I ever heard in my 22 years.

The stats don't lie. the Rangers are 8th in the NHL in power play opportunities and they are 17th in Times Shorthanded. 16 More teams have been shorthanded more, for those of you having trouble with comprehension.

Complain about what you want. it's an open forum. just realize that blaming the officials or thinking there is some plot against the rangers makes you look and sound stupid and immature.

Anybody with half a Parrot's brain knows the Rangers are a mediocre and inconsistent team. Do you want me to quote all the GDT's of Rangers losses?

The truth is that if the rangers' power play was as mediocre/average as their play at even strength, they'd have at least 5 more wins. This team is just very difficult to watch on a nightly basis and quite frankly, i wish i had an answer as to why they underachieve. But one thing i do know is that it certainly is the officials' fault.
I'm impressed...
I haven't had the guts to say this, but I agree with you. I don't remember anybody complaining about calls in the first 3 wins against the Pens.

Game 4...
I think the Rangers played a horrible game. No puck possession. No aggressive forechecking.

Chris Drury's so called "locker room presence and intangibles that are worth $7M+" were no where to be seen.

Zherdev didn't have a bad game but he was obviously being shadowed (aka Staal).
Gomer...lots of threads about him.
Rozsival actually had a pretty good game offensively....some solid chances and shots on net.

I do agree the penalty shot call was borderline. He was clear, but not clear enough IMO.

I do think that Orr was being a ***** roughing up Crosby. Regardless of what anybody thinks of him, you don't send your goon after the other teams star. Of course, in that situation it was co-incidental minors. If the refs were biased, they would have thrown Orr out of the game or given him a 10 minute misconduct.

I didn't respond in the game thread because all I read was "refs refs refs refs". When you go that far, it's impossible to have a civil discussion otherwise.

Hence again...I commend you on this gutsy post .

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

It's so childish and it's a lame attempt to cover up your insecurities as a Rangers fan. Pittsburgh played a great game yesterday and the Rangers were invisible. Here's an idea for the Rangers: STOP TAKING PENALTIES IN THE FIRST TWO MINUTES OF A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the Pens with a passion and it's pretty obvious that they fashion their game around drawing penalties. But saying there is some NHL conspiracy or that the Pens having more PP's caused the Rangers to lose is as stupid a theory I think I ever heard in my 22 years.

The stats don't lie. the Rangers are 8th in the NHL in power play opportunities and they are 17th in Times Shorthanded. 16 More teams have been shorthanded more, for those of you having trouble with comprehension.

Complain about what you want. it's an open forum. just realize that blaming the officials or thinking there is some plot against the rangers makes you look and sound stupid and immature.

Anybody with half a Parrot's brain knows the Rangers are a mediocre and inconsistent team. Do you want me to quote all the GDT's of Rangers losses?

The truth is that if the rangers' power play was as mediocre/average as their play at even strength, they'd have at least 5 more wins. This team is just very difficult to watch on a nightly basis and quite frankly, i wish i had an answer as to why they underachieve. But one thing i do know is that it certainly is the officials' fault.
I didn't read the whole game thread but I don't believe there were many fans blaming the refs for the Pissburg game. Alot of posters complained about the announcers and how they were obviously slanted toward the pens. That I agree with -- I'm surprised the announcers were able to utter more than a few sentences with Crybaby and Missing Links di**s in their mouths.

As to the Chicago game either you missed the game and are spotting off without having a clue or you are blind. That was probably the worst officiating I've ever seen in my life! Assenfratzhole and that other clown had to be on the take for that one.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I didn't read the whole game thread but I don't believe there were many fans blaming the refs for the Pissburg game. Alot of posters complained about the announcers and how they were obviously slanted toward the pens. That I agree with -- I'm surprised the announcers were able to utter more than a few sentences with Crybaby and Missing Links di**s in their mouths.

As to the Chicago game either you missed the game and are spotting off without having a clue or you are blind. That was probably the worst officiating I've ever seen in my life! Assenfratzhole and that other clown had to be on the take for that one.
Dunno...I saw a lot of ref complaining.

I do agree the announcers were biased...yes...the NHL face and all. However, it's not like the Rangers gave them good reason to talk about anything else.

Oh...I didn't see the Chicago game...was out of country. I can believe badly reffed games...I just don't believe the bad reffing being bad due to a pro-bias to a team.

I can believe negative bias to a player, a team, or a coach....and that's usually based on the rep you have. I don't think the Rangers players, team, nor coach have a bad rep with the refs.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHockeyFan View Post
Dunno...I saw a lot of ref complaining.

I do agree the announcers were biased...yes...the NHL face and all. However, it's not like the Rangers gave them good reason to talk about anything else.

Oh...I didn't see the Chicago game...was out of country. I can believe badly reffed games...I just don't believe the bad reffing being bad due to a pro-bias to a team.

I can believe negative bias to a player, a team, or a coach....and that's usually based on the rep you have. I don't think the Rangers players, team, nor coach have a bad rep with the refs.
Not sure about the pro-bias but certainly there are players that get the benefit of the doubt and ones that don't. Crybaby certainly is one of those. MaryOh was the same -- especially after that biatch moaned about the officiating. Jagr couldn't get a call if his arm was amputated by a slash.

So yeah, I certainly believe that there are teams out there that consistently get the benefit of the doubt and teams that don't. Does that constitute "bias" towards a team -- I don't know but I'd certainly love the Rangers to get that kind of treatment.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
ciggy

Quote:

what a waste of time..... for your information the refs/umps are a big part of a game.... they deserve as much criticism as the players get , especially when they make themselves as obvious as they did in chicago..

did you ever play an organized sport ?

you let 2 top teams decide who's better !!! LET THE PLAY I SAY

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
KuroElite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
See thats where your wrong, I dont believe players should be treated differently based on their stature in the league, thats absolutely contrary to any attempts to provide integrity to the game. Whats called against Lauri Korpikoski should be called against Jarome Iginla and thats exactly whats wrong with officiating, too much is left up to the discretion of the official. Hooking is different for every referee, boarding is different, interference, even slashing, two many men and goalie interference are subjective now. Practically the only penalty that is always cut and dry is high sticking (if they dont miss it).

Its got nothing to do with being a Homer, I watch every Ranger game whether they are winning or losing, good seasons and bad, but I love hockey and if complaining about poor officiating and hoping something is done to sure it up makes me a homer than I'm ok with that. And its not because we lost that I'm complaining, I torched the officiating just as bad or worse friday night after we won. If friday had never happened maybe the refs wouldnt have gotten to me so bad in the Pens game.

No ones doing Hockey any favors by saying the officiating sucks sometimes but we just overlook it because it balances out in the long run...maybe
good answer, while i believe that everyone should be held accountable the same way, in reality its not, probably in all sports ..can they ever get to equal footing for everyone , i hope so, but doubt that it will happen....i've been on both ends of the spectrum where the stars get the calls. ill take back my homer reference for your well thought out reponse..good luck the rest of the year

KuroElite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:36 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
for your information the refs/umps are a big part of a game.... they deserve as much criticism as the players get
Except that they don't get that criticism when the team wins; they get it almost exclusively when the team loses. If people were complaining about the officiating all the time, you'd be making a good point, but this "just criticism" of yours only shows up when the Rangers are on the losing end. (Not that this is unique to Ranger fans.)

Thus, crying about officiating appears to be just that: crying. If the majority of people here wanted better officiating, they would be commenting on it every blessed game.

We both know that's not the case. Fans say nothing when the team wins (offering at most a passing "refs sucked tonight"), and they whine extensively, breaking down call after call, when the team loses (always offering the caveat "but I'm not blaming the refs").

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
good answer, while i believe that everyone should be held accountable the same way, in reality its not, probably in all sports ..can they ever get to equal footing for everyone , i hope so, but doubt that it will happen....i've been on both ends of the spectrum where the stars get the calls. ill take back my homer reference for your well thought out reponse..good luck the rest of the year

Thank you, and I agree with you that its wishful thinking that it will ever be possible to get everything right. I readily am able to admit that sometimes it gets the best of me and I piss and whine, but its just hard sometimes when you commit sooo much of your time rooting for a team (in any sport), you want it always to be called right, every game, no matter who is playing, no matter where... I'm so hard on the refs in Hockey, because I feel like more than any sport they have the ability to effect the outcomes, as well as the most ability to judge for themselves...

Good luck to you the rest of the way as well!

Old
01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Fletch

ciggy..

the refs are part of the game and too often they affect the outcomes of games - I agree with that. However, a lot of Rangers losses have been blamed on the refs (and of course the refs have not helped the Rangers win at all), which leads to conspiracy theories as to why the Rangers get this type of treatment. I personally have seen it here and there over the past 15 years (not as much prior to that). I've also seen preferential treatment (perhaps a bit less). But in the end, I don't recall ever blaming the refs for a win or a loss becuase most of those "bad officiating" games I've seen, the Rangers should've lost anyway. Should've killed the penalty. Should've worked harder to draw penalties. Should not have played lazy. Plain and simple.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Personally, I blame the refs when they're blatantly wrong and I can admit it when the Rangers flat out stink (like on Sunday). You'll even catch me sheepishly admitting that the Rangers were helped out by questionable calls. However, every Rangers fan has the absolute right to complain about the Chicago game - it was LAUGHABLE.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Except that they don't get that criticism when the team wins; they get it almost exclusively when the team loses. If people were complaining about the officiating all the time, you'd be making a good point, but this "just criticism" of yours only shows up when the Rangers are on the losing end. (Not that this is unique to Ranger fans.)

Thus, crying about officiating appears to be just that: crying. If the majority of people here wanted better officiating, they would be commenting on it every blessed game.

We both know that's not the case. Fans say nothing when the team wins (offering at most a passing "refs sucked tonight"), and they whine extensively, breaking down call after call, when the team loses (always offering the caveat "but I'm not blaming the refs").

first off i am a fan of hockey. rangers are my team !!!. i see the refs blowing it for all teams.. just yesterday the islanders got the game takin away from them in 10 seconds, after a bs call on witt in OT for goodness sake .

criticism for winning ? no such thing!!.... not mentioning the refs at all is considered a job well done..

Old
01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
shoothepuck

There is no excuse for the way the Rangers have played lately. Anyone who's played any kind of sport has learned that you don't put the outcome of a game in the hands (whistle) of the zebra's.The officials do impact the outcome of the game, like Chicago. No statistics can justify or "even" out of six 5 on 3's. One or two might have been justified, the rest were excesive. It wasn't a "conspiracy", it was poor officiating. The refs do upset the tone and flow of a game with poor calls, and the 2 ref system might make things worse, but good teams learn to adjust

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
shout2007

First thing I want to point out is that Sam Rosen and whoever is his color man ( Phil, Jd, Joe) and whoever else I missed, do not complain about the Ref's and the calls at all compared to any other broadcast they would rank last in my eyes. Sam Rosen has never said a thing about the ref's in 20 odd years of broadcasting, very rarely you will hear the color guy say something like the chicago game but that is only 1 game out of 82. I watch ever game and I agree the Ranger get as many power plays for and against as any other team this is not where I have the problem. First lots of things other teams get away with the rangers do not. I do not have stats for this but I would love to know how many goalie interference calls for and against for example of many. Look at game 5 against the penguins with the High stick major no High stick major game. I do believe one of the factors in this is our coach. Until Chicago the other night Tom Renney has never been vocal to the point of the officials having to come to the bench and talk to him. Maybe if he kept this up other calls will even themselves out.

shout2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
dedalus

Quote:
criticism for winning ? no such thing!!.... not mentioning the refs at all is considered a job well done..
I don't know what this means. Can you re-state?

Old
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I don't know what this means. Can you re-state?
should i assume from your post that i should commend the refs when the rangers win?

because i look at a game, if played fairly, with 2 teams giving it they're all, each having the opportunity to win with no controversy.. and then the fact that NO ONE after the game brings up the refs..

what that means to me is that they did a good job and it doesn't have to be acknowledged by the fans only by the players themselves

Old
01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
dedalus

Quote:
should i assume from your post that i should commend the refs when the rangers win?
No, the reverse.