HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jones and Santorelli Sent Down

Old
01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
AdmiralsShortShifts

vCash: 500
Jones and Santorelli Sent Down

Ryan Jones and Mike Santorelli have been sent back down to Milwaukee.

Last edited by AdmiralsShortShifts: 01-18-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: correcting spelling
AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:41 PM
braindead

Well, after that Thrashers game, Jones deserved to get sent... nevermind.

I assume this gets them an early start to the allstar break. I'd send Pihlstrom too.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I guess this is to get them more games played while the rest of the roster gets a break.

01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
deleted

Jones does have a pretty nice contract...so I'm not completely surprised he is up and down like this. He makes almost double Philo. But I'd rather send down Philo and keep Santorelli. Give him his 15 games like the rest and see what happens. Even if he underperforms philo we didn't miss out on much. Santo would have a couple points if Dumount could score a goal once in awhile.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Dive For The Top 5 is on!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
AdmiralsShortShifts

I really don't understand the point of sending both players down now.

The Admirals play today, and then again Tuesday.

The Preds play Monday. And with Nichol and DeVries on IR, they now have exactly 12 healthy forwards and 6 healthy defensemen on their active roster.

They had better hope that no one gets sick this weekend...or that no one pulls a muscle in Monday's pre-game skate....because they don't have enough bodies to replace anyone.

Why not send one guy down to get the extra game tonight, and keep the other guy as health insurance? They could still re-assign him after Monday's game and he could be in Milwaukee in time to play Tuesday.

It appears to be an unneccessarily risky move.

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
hopefully a trade is one the way

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Dive For The Top 5 is on!
Alright already, we get it! You want us to tank so we can get a top five pick. You don't need to post it on every thread. I think talking about tanking when you are 6-8 points out of a playoff spot at the all-star break is extreme. Its extreme not just because of wins and losses but the extra revenue that even a couple of playoff games would generate. I'm not convinced this franchise is out of the woods yet financially nor have we earned a reputation as a winner across the league. Tanking undermines both and it bothers me when fans hope for it. How can a Predator fan hope to lose and then whine about other market's perceptions of hockey in Nashville? I have experience with fans hoping to lose, I live in Detroit. . .ever heard of the Lions? Some Lions fans were lobbying for the first pick in the draft and now that the Lions have it people are pissed about having the pressure of making the right pick at #1. The draft can be a crap shoot and teams don't always know what they are getting (ie Radek Bonk). I, for one, would rather get in the playoffs than get a high draft pick that may/may not live up to expectations (ie David Legwand). . .but maybe that's just me.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:38 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
Alright already, we get it! You want us to tank so we can get a top five pick. You don't need to post it on every thread. I think talking about tanking when you are 6-8 points out of a playoff spot at the all-star break is extreme. Its extreme not just because of wins and losses but the extra revenue that even a couple of playoff games would generate. I'm not convinced this franchise is out of the woods yet financially nor have we earned a reputation as a winner across the league. Tanking undermines both and it bothers me when fans hope for it. How can a Predator fan hope to lose and then whine about other market's perceptions of hockey in Nashville? I have experience with fans hoping to lose, I live in Detroit. . .ever heard of the Lions? Some Lions fans were lobbying for the first pick in the draft and now that the Lions have it people are pissed about having the pressure of making the right pick at #1. The draft can be a crap shoot and teams don't always know what they are getting (ie Radek Bonk). I, for one, would rather get in the playoffs than get a high draft pick that may/may not live up to expectations (ie David Legwand). . .but maybe that's just me.
I think the problem is that neither the ownership group, the general manager nor the coaching staff has demonstrated that they are dedicated to fielding a winning team on the ice. It's pretty clear that the group of players in the lineup is not a playoff team, and the fanbase is growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of ANYTHING being done to turn the season around. In a sense, this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the Preds fans' frustration over the past few years (sale, Balsillie, Radulov, etc.) and I think people are pretty damn fed up at this point. Maybe I'm alone on this, but the impression I get is that this team/franchise is simply on life support right now - it is highly unlikely this team will improve its on-ice performance with the current lineup, and it is equally unlikely that the ownership group is going to commit any funds to improving this team.

The problem is that the ownership group is not willing to take the risk associated with investing in higher caliber talent that would translate to more wins and potential playoff success, both of which would drive increased revenue for the team. Instead, they are waiting for the fanbase to solve the problem by buying more tickets, but I can't think of many reasons why people would want to buy many tickets to watch this team.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
I think the problem is that neither the ownership group, the general manager nor the coaching staff has demonstrated that they are dedicated to fielding a winning team on the ice. It's pretty clear that the group of players in the lineup is not a playoff team, and the fanbase is growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of ANYTHING being done to turn the season around. In a sense, this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the Preds fans' frustration over the past few years (sale, Balsillie, Radulov, etc.) and I think people are pretty damn fed up at this point. Maybe I'm alone on this, but the impression I get is that this team/franchise is simply on life support right now - it is highly unlikely this team will improve its on-ice performance with the current lineup, and it is equally unlikely that the ownership group is going to commit any funds to improving this team.

The problem is that the ownership group is not willing to take the risk associated with investing in higher caliber talent that would translate to more wins and potential playoff success, both of which would drive increased revenue for the team. Instead, they are waiting for the fanbase to solve the problem by buying more tickets, but I can't think of many reasons why people would want to buy many tickets to watch this team.
Spot on. I may not agree as extremely with Dave, but nor am I able to be pollyanna about it in the way lugnut is being. I understand that the Boots situation probably handcuffed an already cash-strapped ownership group, but it's disappointing to see that with things spiraling out of control, the best thing we can muster is top hope Joel Ward or Jordin Tootoo can suddenly become good fits on a top line...or that rookies with moderate potential(because, lets face it, that's what Jones, Hornqvist and Santorelli are) will have rookie explosions. Yes playoff revenue is important...but sustained over time, if we continue to end up with above average, but not exceptional draft picks (colin wilson, jonathan blum, etc) AND can't afford to be in the market for high end free agents...how long will people continue to shell out to see that? I'm not advocating tanking, diving, whatever...but nor would I be too disappointed if we finished in last place. It's another tenth place finish that would be the worst case scenario for this team.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote