HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Countdown to March 4th. Trade deadline thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
  #1
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Countdown to March 4th. Trade deadline thread

Okay kids. What objectives would you like to see accomplished for the deadline this season?

- Are you looking for a complete overhaul? If it's not tied down do you want to see it moved?

- have you seen glimmers of hope recently and think we just need to tinker a bit? Get rid of some expiring contracts but for the most part we could do without the large chemistry change?

- Stand pat.

- Be buyers. We have a shot at the post season and we need a couple pieces to make that run.

The Sneak is offline  
Old
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
  #2
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Too early to tell, but I'm leaning towards "sell, Mortimer, sell!!"

dj4aces is offline  
Old
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
  #3
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,652
vCash: 500
Complete overhaul.

Lux Aurumque* is offline  
Old
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
  #4
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Bottom lines over haul. Bring in picks and give some ahl kids a shot.

Ashe is offline  
Old
01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
  #5
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer
 
khlman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Perrin and Thorburn for a bag of pucks.

Move Schneider.

khlman is offline  
Old
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
  #6
Boognish
Registered User
 
Boognish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Buy younger top end talent. Sell vets 1:1 for kids with upside. Draft picks are too far off and Peverly will come down to earth in 2 weeks. Getting MORE 3rd line guys isn't going to make the top lines any better.

Boognish is offline  
Old
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
  #7
Boognish
Registered User
 
Boognish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
-Schneider will be sold. It's half the reason he was taken on in the first place.
-Havelid will be sold.
-Exelby should be, but won't.
-Reasoner will be sold

Not much in the pantry, I'm afraid.

Boognish is offline  
Old
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
  #8
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
-Schneider will be sold. It's half the reason he was taken on in the first place.
-Havelid will be sold.
-Exelby should be, but won't.
-Reasoner will be sold

Not much in the pantry, I'm afraid.

What about Perrin and the rest of our team of 3rd liners?

The Sneak is offline  
Old
01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
  #9
thrashers=cup05
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
shcnieder, exelby, havlid, perrin, reasoner, christiansen, hedburg. I want to keep reasoner, but he is prolly one of our best assets.

thrashers=cup05 is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 06:29 AM
  #10
Capa*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Harbour, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
I only see 3 people getting moved at the deadline.
Schnieder
Christensen
Reasoner

Capa* is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 06:58 AM
  #11
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,658
vCash: 500
I think both Schneider and Havelid are gone by the trade deadline. Both have good value, and should bring a nice return back. I think Oystrick is going to get a long look in the 2nd half to see if he is truly capable of handling Top 6 NHL minutes. We might get a decent look at the Skinner kid we got from the Isles, he seems to be the kind of defenseman that John Anderson likes to have.

In addition, of the forwards, I think Perrin is the only one who goes. I think we may see Reasoner get a contract extension before the trade deadline, I would like to see him stay, he is a very useful forward who could be used on any line if needed. He is similar to Dupuis in many ways. He has value, no doubt...but he has value on our team as well.

EC has been much better since coming back off the IR, I don't think he is going anywhere.

btn is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 07:25 AM
  #12
teme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Depends. If come March 4th the team actually has some kind of shot at play-offs, I wouldn't do anything. The coming UFAs will not bring much in return, and it would be way better for the team to finish the season strongly even if they won't make the play-offs. Even if it means a lower draft pick, this organization needs wins and the confidence that they bring.

If they are out of the hunt, moving Hävelid, Schneider, Reasoner and Perrin will bring something back. But Hävelid is the only one I would expect something of signifigance for, maybe a 2nd rounder. Trading Christensen would be pointless, it is not like he has a huge contract, let's see if he can stay healthy first and then produce.

Of the non-UFAs, Exelby might be of interest to teams looking for toughness, but he is a third pairing dman and the return will be proportional to that. I'd also expect DW to ask if there is any interest on White, he is producing and signed to a very reasonable contract. If some team wanting immediate help wants to ship back a young second line forward, I'd do it.

But it is in the post-season that Thrashers should be active. They've got plenty of cap room, and there will be a lot of teams looking to cut salary. Come next season, this team needs a reliable back-up goalie, a top three veteran dman (could be Hävelid), and one or two scorers.

teme is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
  #13
Capa*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Harbour, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post

But it is in the post-season that Thrashers should be active. They've got plenty of cap room, and there will be a lot of teams looking to cut salary. Come next season, this team needs a reliable back-up goalie, a top three veteran dman (could be Hävelid), and one or two scorers.

We have that now and still suck. We need Forward Depth badly, Defense and Goaltending isnt looking to change for awhile and I like that. I cant beleive some of you guys want Havelid outta here. Extend the mofo for a year or 2, hes worth more than what we would get.

Capa* is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 07:35 AM
  #14
GetPucksDeep
Registered User
 
GetPucksDeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the other Duluth
Country: United States
Posts: 3,412
vCash: 500
A year ago Christensen was a player that buying teams sold at the deadline, and you think he's now someone buying teams would pay for?

I haven't given up on him and he does look better lately, but he has zero deadline value.

Schneider, Reasoner and Havelid are really the only assets with value.

GetPucksDeep is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
  #15
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
A year ago Christensen was a player that buying teams sold at the deadline, and you think he's now someone buying teams would pay for?

I haven't given up on him and he does look better lately, but he has zero deadline value.

Schneider, Reasoner and Havelid are really the only assets with value.
While I tend to agree with you, you have to understand that the EC move last year was different than the standard deadline dump. He was traded for Marian Hossa. To get a talent like that you have offer talent in return.


(psst, dude! Stop railing on our dead weight. We'll never move him if you keep telling the truth)

The Sneak is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 08:41 AM
  #16
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,050
vCash: 500
Schneider and Havelid are the two best assets, but I doubt either will return more than a 2nd or something similar.

I think Reasoner and Perrin will be traded, but the Thrashers won't be getting much for them. Exelby and Hedberg are definite possibilities, but I would say they are not as likely to be sold.

Norm MacDonald is online now  
Old
01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
  #17
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Think Waddell will trade himself?

If not, I think that schneider and havelid will go for sure and maybe a few others. The new guys we got here in Chicago have been great so far. I think maybe perrin and reasoner will b gone as well and Stuart and some others will be brought up.

Tommy Hawk is online now  
Old
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
  #18
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Think Waddell will trade himself?
From the rumblings I've heard, I don't think Waddell will be around for the trade deadline. I encountered a couple of NHL officials at the Leafs game, who echoed these sentiments.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
  #19
teme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostanza View Post
We have that now and still suck. We need Forward Depth badly, Defense and Goaltending isnt looking to change for awhile and I like that. I cant beleive some of you guys want Havelid outta here. Extend the mofo for a year or 2, hes worth more than what we would get.
I meant two forwards more, and an upgrade over Hedberg, a kind of 1B option like Bruins have in Fernandez - Thomas tandem. Based on who is under contract and RFAs, next years roster looks like this:

C - White, Peverley, Christensen, Slater, Hopfazel, Esposito
L - Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Macharek
R - Armstrong, Little, Thornburn, Crabb
D - Hainsey, Enström, Bogosian, Exelby, Valabik, Oystrich, Kulda

That is too little experience and depth up front, what is needed are one scoring liner and a solid two-way guy with PK ability. Hypothetically and speaking of UFAs, for examle Pahlsson and Tanguay.

Defence lacks depth, but is also seriously unexperienced. Three guys with one season of experience and one with none what so ever is not good. Resign Hävelid and it starts to look OK, if not possible sign/trade for a player like Väänänen, Skrastins, etc. that is a defence first guy at minimum.

teme is offline  
Old
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
  #20
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
I meant two forwards more, and an upgrade over Hedberg, a kind of 1B option like Bruins have in Fernandez - Thomas tandem. Based on who is under contract and RFAs, next years roster looks like this:

C - White, Peverley, Christensen, Slater, Hopfazel, Esposito
L - Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Macharek
R - Armstrong, Little, Thornburn, Crabb
D - Hainsey, Enström, Bogosian, Exelby, Valabik, Oystrich, Kulda

That is too little experience and depth up front, what is needed are one scoring liner and a solid two-way guy with PK ability. Hypothetically and speaking of UFAs, for examle Pahlsson and Tanguay.

Defence lacks depth, but is also seriously unexperienced. Three guys with one season of experience and one with none what so ever is not good. Resign Hävelid and it starts to look OK, if not possible sign/trade for a player like Väänänen, Skrastins, etc. that is a defence first guy at minimum.
I think you still have Colin Stuart under contract for next year as well as Lehman and some others in Chicago (besides Kulda). I think Oystrick is in the final year of his deal, unless I missed the length from his current deal.

Tommy Hawk is online now  
Old
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
  #21
Boognish
Registered User
 
Boognish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
What about Perrin and the rest of our team of 3rd liners?
I don't think anyone past Reasoner has any value to a playoff team. Maybe FC for Perrin.

----------------
Now playing: Steve Winwood - Chronicles - While You See a Chance
via FoxyTunes

Boognish is offline  
Old
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
  #22
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,597
vCash: 500
sellers.

David71 is offline  
Old
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
  #23
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 47,638
vCash: 500
I want reasoner back on the oilers third line

gonzo11 is offline  
Old
02-13-2009, 06:28 AM
  #24
Capa*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Harbour, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Too early to tell, but I'm leaning towards "sell, Mortimer, sell!!"

Capa* is offline  
Old
02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
  #25
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
From the rumblings I've heard, I don't think Waddell will be around for the trade deadline. I encountered a couple of NHL officials at the Leafs game, who echoed these sentiments.
The rumblings I guess will not come to fruition, again.....

Tommy Hawk is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.