Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Countdown to March 4th. Trade deadline thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
The Sneak

vCash: 500
So no Kari movement for JVR. Bummer. So let's take a look at the trades since the season started....

Thrashers trade Jason Williams to Columbus for Clay Wilson and a 6th round selection in the 2009 Entry draft.

Since leaving Atlanta JWill has amassed 13 points in 21 games (5g, 8a). He had had 18 points in 41 contests (7/11) for the Thrash.

Clay Wilson has 12 points in 21 games for the Wolves (3g, 9a) as well as winning American Idol.

Cheat's Gut Shot: A great big bad of nothing on either side of the table. I don't see Clay or a 6th (unless we get VERY fortunate) helping the Thrashers nor do I see Williams being an impact player for the Jackets. Thrashers win by dropping salary.

Atlanta trades Matthieu Schneider plus a conditional 2009 pick to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2nd rounder in '09 and a 3rd rounder in '10.

Schneids has made an immediate impact for the Habs especially on the power play. Overhead the talking heads on TSN stating that he is still a liability 5 on 5 but he is certainly filling a need for the playoff bound Canadians.

Thrashers fans should be happy to hear that as it's the Habs progress in the post season that will determine what sort of a pick needs to go back to Montreal this summer. As high as a 3rd rounder or as low as a 5th.

Cheat's Gut Shot: Seeing what other aging defensemen received at the deadline (former 1st rounder mclaren and Eminger) this was about the best return that could be expected. Matthieu is no longer an elite and considering he was acquired to be traded at the deadline I'd say our GM aced this. Skinned deadwood to get him and picked up some valuable picks after renting Schneids to mentor Bogosian. Well done Atlanta.

Atlanta trades Havelid and Stoez to New Jersey for Anssi Salmela.

Cheat's Gut Shot: Another schrewd move by the Thrashers. They turn an expiring asset and a malcontent into a young prospect. The Sneak will never have a bad thing to say about Nic Havelid and I hope he does well for NJ but let's face facts. He's 35, unrestricted at season's end, and considering leaving North America. Getting anything for him is a big bonus. The Thrashers picked up a 24 year old mobile defenseman with offensive capabilities. 8/16/24 at Lowell in the AHL Salmela is being advertised as gifted going forward but a liability in the back. Fits the Thrashers mold perfectly. No brainwashing required! A project to be sure but considering the long term interests of the club? A win for the GM.

Atlanta trades Erik Christensen to Anaheim for Eric O'Dell.

This one I like alot. EC never really emerged here in Atlanta and despite being young and talented he never stepped it up for the Thrashers. Eric O'Dell is a 2nd round pick by the Ducks in last summer's draft. He's a PPG player for Sudbury in the OHL and plays center. Still needs to develop, and may never pan out, but I like the theory behind the move for Atlanta. EC wasn't doing much for us and we picked up a nice piece for the system.

All told I have no major complaints with the moves so far this year. Now let's cash in on draft day. If the Atlanta Spirit is actually paying for scouts and we're not just using the red line report to draft from? here's to hoping we unearth a couple winners.

Old
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

My thoughts:

Wilson for Williams

Don't mind the trade as I was happy to get rid of J- Will at the time as he wasn't working in ATL. In hindsight (with the acquisition of Salmeda later in the year), a draft pick might of been better.

Draft picks for Schneider

Good trade. It always difficult to deal with Montreal as their GM seems to over rate their roster players and prospects.

Salmeda for Havelid

I probably would of taken the 2nd round pick offered given the depth of defenceman currently in Chicago that could potentially play at NHL level. However reading the scouting report it appears that Salmeda is further advanced that Wilson and Skinner so he may be able to slot in as a regular fairly soon.

O'Dell for Christiansen

I don't mind getting a forward prospect at the end of the day for EC who like Williams wasn't working out in ATL but I would have preferred getting a young roster player in return that can immediately step into the lineup. Maybe Atlanta could of got involved in the deal for O'Sullivan giving up Christiansen and a 2nd to Edmonton.

Overall I'll give DW a C for his trades this season.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
So no Kari movement for JVR. Bummer.
That trade was never going to happen in the first place. TSN turns into tabloid trash around the deadline time to increase site hits and increase television ratings.

Of all the deals that actually happened, how many of them were actually called weeks or days ahead of time by people supposedly in the know?

I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Lux Aurumque*

This was a massive failure of a trade deadline day for Waddell. It reminds me way too much of last year. Last year, Waddell should have traded guys like Holik, Recchi, and others for whatever he could get. This year, he should have gotten rid of Thorburn, Boulton, Slater, Exelby, et all for anything he could have gotten. I'm sure that someone would have at least given up an extremely low pick for any of them. If there was one that nobody wanted, he should have been placed on waivers, and thrown to the Wolves. I'm sure that someone would have given up a 3rd for Reasoner and a 6th, or something like that.

Old
03-06-2009, 02:02 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
This was a massive failure of a trade deadline day for Waddell. It reminds me way too much of last year. Last year, Waddell should have traded guys like Holik, Recchi, and others for whatever he could get. This year, he should have gotten rid of Thorburn, Boulton, Slater, Exelby, et all for anything he could have gotten. I'm sure that someone would have at least given up an extremely low pick for any of them. If there was one that nobody wanted, he should have been placed on waivers, and thrown to the Wolves. I'm sure that someone would have given up a 3rd for Reasoner and a 6th, or something like that.
Perrin made it known publicly that he wanted to go elsewhere and we were unable to trade him or have him picked up on waivers. Do you really believe Thorburn and Boulton would have garnered us something in return?

Whether we enjoy watching it or not, the stats show the team has a higher winning percentage with X in the lineup, than without.

Boulton is the best option we have to fill our enforcer role and he has been doing a fairly good job of it this season. He made Cote look like a joke TWICE this season, knocked Voros silly, and did more than hold his own against Brashear the other night among plenty of others. Don't kid yourself if you think Hoffman is our answer. Boulton has more points, a better plus/minus, and DOUBLE the PIM that Hoffman has in only 10 more games. If Boulton was traded, that would leave Valabik to play the full on role of enforcer for the rest of the season, and it's just not a smart idea to have a d-man who plays on the PK to do all the fighting. His TOI is more valuable to the team that Boulton's.

I have absolutely no problems with Reasoner not being moved. He is an integral part of our rebuilding and his leadership will be helpful since there are likely to be a couple of young guys up from the Wolves next season to help fill out the bottom 6.

Last edited by blankspace6: 03-06-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
Perrin made it known publicly that he wanted to go elsewhere and we were unable to trade him or have him picked up on waivers. Do you really believe Thorburn and Boulton would have garnered us something in return?

Whether we enjoy watching it or not, the stats show the team has a higher winning percentage with X in the lineup, than without.

Boulton is the best option we have to fill our enforcer role and he has been doing a fairly good job of it this season. He made Cote look like a joke TWICE this season, knocked Voros silly, and did more than hold his own against Brashear the other night among plenty of others. Don't kid yourself if you think Hoffman is our answer. Boulton has more points, a better plus/minus, and DOUBLE the PIM that Hoffman has in only 10 more games. If Boulton was traded, that would leave Valabik to play the full on role of enforcer for the rest of the season, and it's just not a smart idea to have a d-man who plays on the PK to do all the fighting. His TOI is more valuable to the team that Boulton's.

I have absolutely no problems with Reasoner not being moved. He is an integral part of our rebuilding and his leadership will be helpful since there are likely to be a couple of young guys up from the Wolves next season to help fill out the bottom 6.
Good post. Totally agree. Boulton is completely undervalued by this board. He works his ass off and does what he's told, which on this team makes him worth his weight in gold.

Closed Thread