Notices

Kyle calder to Dallas - Per Eklund

Old
01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Caseman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Well heck if we're going to talk fantasy GM and trades here's my dream scenario. It starts with the stipulation that Dallas falls by the wayside in February. That probably only happens if Ribiero and/or Richards gets injured but while we're talking hypotheticals.

My above posted trade with Modano going to Columbus for their 1st, plus Goloubef or Ruth.

Then I'd trade Jere Lehtinen to Montreal for Ryan McDonagh and their 4th.

Trade Lundqvist and Sutherby both for a pick.

In the off season I turnaround and offer either Dallas' first or Columbus' first (whichever is lower in the first round) Fistric or Goloubef/Ruth, Robidas, one of the picks we get from trading Lundqvist/Sutherby, and Avery to the New York Islanders for Mark Streit and a 2nd.

Now I know the first question you ask is why would the Islanders take Avery. Money. If they trade Streit they need to take on salary somewhere to meet the cap floor. If they want to buy him out. They can. If they need his cap on the books for a while they can just healthy scratch him or send him to the minors to see if he really is rehabilitated. Regardless by adding him and Robidas they almost make up the salary of Streit.

Then I sign Komisarek. Re-sign Lehtinen in the off season for a reasonable 1.75 million. If they like Sutherby they can bring him back too or roll with the kids.

Morrow-Riberio-Brunnstrom
Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Sutherby-Ott-Lehtinen (checking line)
Peterson

and whichever two kids earn a spot out of training camp. I would assume Sawada and Wandell would have the inside track but a guy like Sceviour, Benn, or heck even Lammers might make an impression. Those two may change as the year goes on and guys who surge at the AHL level or struggle at the NHL level push in and out of the lineup.

Barch is their 13th forward/healthy scratch.

Streit-Komisarek
Daley-Grossman
McDonagh-Niskanen
Hutchinson

Oh and I'd seriously look at moving Turco if a good deal comes along and signing a guy like Ersberg if possible.

Then draft MSP, Cowen, Schroeder, or Duschene (depending on which pick they end up with) and Dallas is good to go for next year and the future. Not that I expect any of that to happen outside of moving Lundqvist and/or Sutherby at the deadline but hey, I can dream can't I?
I know this is all play and fantasy, but your "dream scenario" is trading away Modano? I know it's a business, but if you have any ounce of dignity, loyalty, and respect in your being, you would not trade away the hero and face of your franchise.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:29 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
That proposed Mark Streit trade blows my mind. Islanders make out like bandits.

And I would be shocked, shocked, if Montreal fails to re-sign Komisarek. They've got a lot of money coming off the books.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post

And I would be shocked, shocked, if Montreal fails to re-sign Komisarek. They've got a lot of money coming off the books.
UNLESS this mythical trade for Vinny actually happens.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:

Agreed. Mark Streit isn't worth our first alone as of right now I don't think, much less all of that. This is the guy who Montreal played at forward because he was awful defensively.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Mark Streit leads the league in power play points. He's doing that on the island with guys past their prime or kids. He's the ideal solution to our power play problems. As for the price he was one of the few guys in the league who voluntarily signed on to play in Long Island. We're going to have to overpay to get him out. Plus there's going to have to be some compensation for taking Avery. Hey if a 1st plus Robidas and 4th gets it done, fine, but I didn't think that alone was enough.

Mike Modano is a good hockey player. Not the guy he was but worthy of respect and admiration. I've got a Modano jersey I bought in 2000. I still wear it to games occasionally. The idea of trading him doesn't make me disloyal or disrespectful. It's an acknowledgement that maybe his time here is done. He's done great things for hockey in the metroplex. He's one of the reasons the Stars gained popularity at all and one of the reasons I kept coming back when the rest of my family didn't understand this new hockey obsession from their teenage daughter.

But at the end of the day actions from a decade ago shouldn't effect hockey decisions now. If a good deal comes along that improves the organization, Mike's past contributions shouldn't keep it from happening.

Was Dallas wrong to let go of Derian Hatcher? No, despite the fact that he was a Star his whole career they foresaw his decline and moved on. Is Emmit Smith any less of a Cowboy because he played for one year in Arizona? I don't think so. He won in Dallas and that's why he's remembered.

Mike Modano is going to retire some day. His jersey number will go in the rafters and the organization will have a ceremony to honor him. Nothing is going to change that. Not even whichever jersey he wears in his final year of the NHL.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Chad_

Derian Hatcher was still in his prime when he left via free agency. It was a knee injury in Detroit and rule changes that ended his career.

Streit isn't worth the package that you've proposed, both with and without Avery, and it makes very little sense for the Stars to give up assets to dump Avery when they could and will just buy the guy out. As for being the "ideal solution to our power play problems," he doesn't coach too, does he?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 01:51 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
I distinctly remember Hatcher being on the downward slope when he signed with Detroit.

Anyway, committing to Streit for 4 additional years at a premium price in order to fix the PP now doesn't make much sense when Vishnevskiy is only a year away. The interim fix is already here. His name is Brad Richards.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Captain Awesome

If Streit was so great, he would not have signed with Long Island. Everyone know his merits offensively, it's the defensive end of the game that people dislike him for.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I distinctly remember Hatcher being on the downward slope when he signed with Detroit.
He was 29 at the time and signed one of the richest contracts ever handed out to a d-man at the time only after Dallas estimated they wouldn't be able to retain him. That's not the downside of one's career. After he injured his knee, he was done, but that was first season after signing with the Red Wings.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
txomisc

Quote:

Anyway, committing to Streit for 4 additional years at a premium price in order to fix the PP now doesn't make much sense when Vishnevskiy is only a year away. The interim fix is already here. His name is Brad Richards.
You remember wrong. He was finally recovered from the lacerated calf and IMO deserved norris consideration his last season in dallas.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote