HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The HFBoards Power Index

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2004, 11:36 PM
  #1
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
The HFBoards Power Index

Since TSN's index should be coming out tomorrow, and since its usually way off.. here's a chance to make you're own.. I'm only gonna do a top 10.

1. Detroit Red Wings
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - One regulation loss in the last 20 games, and they're in 7th on the TSN index....
3. San Jose Sharks
4. Ottawa Senators
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. Boston Bruins
8. Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Dallas Stars
10.Montreal Canadiens

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 11:50 PM
  #2
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Most dangerous playoff teams...

1. Detroit
2. Ottawa
3. New Jersey
4. Toronto
5. Philadelphia
6. Tampa Bay
7. Vancouver
8. Colorado
9. Boston
10. Dallas


Last edited by leafaholix*: 03-08-2004 at 05:40 AM.
leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 11:53 PM
  #3
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Most dangerous playoff teams...

1. Detroit
2. Ottawa
3. New Jersey
4. Toronto
5. Tampa Bay
6. Vancouver
7. Colorado
8. Boston
9. Dallas
10. Montreal
Philly???

stardog is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 01:16 AM
  #4
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Most dangerous playoff teams...

1. Detroit
2. Ottawa
3. New Jersey
4. Toronto
5. Tampa Bay
6. Vancouver
7. Colorado
8. Boston
9. Dallas
10. Montreal

Colorado should be lower

st_roland is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 02:54 AM
  #5
-MrBean-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Since TSN's index should be coming out tomorrow, and since its usually way off.. here's a chance to make you're own.. I'm only gonna do a top 10.

1. Detroit Red Wings
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - One regulation loss in the last 20 games, and they're in 7th on the TSN index....
3. San Jose Sharks
4. Ottawa Senators
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. Boston Bruins
8. Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Dallas Stars
10.Montreal Canadiens

Dallas should be much higher. If you hadn't noticed, they are now firing on most cylinders, minus Modano and Lehtinen. If both of them start scoring too.... I feel sorry for whomever is goal against them.

They are beating teams by quite a few goals just about every game now.

-MrBean- is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:15 AM
  #6
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,456
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Since TSN's index should be coming out tomorrow, and since its usually way off.. here's a chance to make you're own.. I'm only gonna do a top 10.

1. Detroit Red Wings
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - One regulation loss in the last 20 games, and they're in 7th on the TSN index....
3. San Jose Sharks
4. Ottawa Senators
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. Boston Bruins
8. Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Dallas Stars
10.Montreal Canadiens
Your index sucks, Montreal is 7th in the conference, no way they should be in there.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:19 AM
  #7
50 Mission Cap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Your index sucks, Montreal is 7th in the conference, no way they should be in there.

Yes but his formula takes into consideration your own teams allegiance.

50 Mission Cap is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:23 AM
  #8
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Your index sucks, Montreal is 7th in the conference, no way they should be in there.
They're 8-2 in their last ten games..they just acquired Alex Kovalev.. before you say my "index sucks" you should probably make your own so I can figure out why you think that. I'm sure yours won't be any better, considering you'd probably rank the Devils first (who haven't exactly been playing very great lately).

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:38 AM
  #9
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,456
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
They're 8-2 in their last ten games..they just acquired Alex Kovalev.. before you say my "index sucks" you should probably make your own so I can figure out why you think that. I'm sure yours won't be any better, considering you'd probably rank the Devils first (who haven't exactly been playing very great lately).
Montreal can be 10 - 0 in their last 10 games for all I care...they are still 7th in the conference and probably only the 7th best team in the conference, along with the fact Kovalev is out for 2 weeks.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:43 AM
  #10
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Montreal can be 10 - 0 in their last 10 games for all I care...they are still 7th in the conference and probably only the 7th best team in the conference, along with the fact Kovalev is out for 2 weeks.
First of all, Kovalev is back Thursday, so get your facts straight.. and I know the Habs can be 10-0 for all you care since you're obviously upset that your devils didnt make my index... as I said before.. make your own index and stop whining about mine.. the habs are 3 points behind the Devils without Sheldon Souray in the line-up.. Jose Theodore has won his last 6 starts.. Mathieu Garon is there to pick up the slack when Theo needs a break.. Richard Zednik is on fire.. what is it about being ranked 10th according to their play during the last couple weeks, that you don't understand? the point of power rankings isnt to rank a team by points.. its performance over the past little while.. the habs have lost twice.. including a huge last second win over your devils

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:45 AM
  #11
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Holy crap.

I just noticed that NJ didn't make your list! The Devils are easily one of the top 5 teams in hockey.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:49 AM
  #12
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,456
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
First of all, Kovalev is back Thursday, so get your facts straight.. and I know the Habs can be 10-0 for all you care since you're obviously upset that your devils didnt make my index... as I said before.. make your own index and stop whining about mine.. the habs are 3 points behind the Devils without Sheldon Souray in the line-up.. Jose Theodore has won his last 6 starts.. Mathieu Garon is there to pick up the slack when Theo needs a break.. Richard Zednik is on fire.. what is it about being ranked 10th according to their play during the last couple weeks, that you don't understand? the point of power rankings isnt to rank a team by points.. its performance over the past little while.. the habs have lost twice.. including a huge last second win over your devils
I don't care about the devils not being on the list, I give a damn that division leading Flyers not being on the list. Care to explaine how they don't make your list.

You little excuss with Souray is crap....we have been playing without Stevens for alot longer and we all know who is more important to their team.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:50 AM
  #13
2112
Registered User
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
First of all, Kovalev is back Thursday, so get your facts straight.. and I know the Habs can be 10-0 for all you care since you're obviously upset that your devils didnt make my index...
JoseTheo not having NJ on your list is pure homerism...although they don't have Stevens in their lineup and they haven't been playing well as of late, they must still be considered in the top 5 teams of hockey.

When playoff time comes, anything can happen, as been proved many times. I wouldn't be suprised to see the cup in NJ again.

2112 is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:52 AM
  #14
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
6-3-0-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Holy crap.

I just noticed that NJ didn't make your list! The Devils are easily one of the top 5 teams in hockey.
Over the past little while? I don't know.. I was basing this on performance over the past couple of weeks.. the Devils are 5-4-0-1 over their past 10 games.. there are teams who have performed much better then them over the past two weeks:

1. Detroit Red Wings 7-2-1-0
2. Tampa Bay Lightning 8-0-0-2
3. San Jose Sharks 6-3-0-1
4. Ottawa Senators 4-3-2-1
5. Philadelphia Flyers 4-4-1-1 They haven't been playing the best hockey over the past little while.. but they still deserve this spot for the way they've been playing all season.
6. Vancouver Canucks 5-3-1-1
7. Boston Bruins 4-2-3-1
8. Toronto Maple Leafs 5-5-0-0 Brian Leetch gives them an edge
9. Dallas Stars 8-1-1-0
10.Montreal Canadiens 8-2-0-0

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
  #15
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,408
vCash: 500
People, people, people.

When are you going to realize that polls like this are based on opinion. Everybodies opinion is different. If one poster beleives that New Jersey is a top ten team and another thinks that Nashville is and New Jersey isn't, neither is wrong.

IT IS OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darz is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
  #16
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
JoseTheo not having NJ on your list is pure homerism...although they don't have Stevens in their lineup and they haven't been playing well as of late, they must still be considered in the top 5 teams of hockey.

When playoff time comes, anything can happen, as been proved many times. I wouldn't be suprised to see the cup in NJ again.
No one is yet to make their own list... homerism? I don't think so.. I make clear in my last post the exact reason why I ranked teams where I did... New Jersey hasn't been playing great lately.. And they're 5-4.. over .500 in their last 10.. but here are the teams they beat:Carolina, Florida, Buffalo, NYR, Calgary.. the only good team in that bunch are the flames.. and they're not a playoff team. The reason the I put the habs 10 is because they're 8-2 against GOOD teams. they got their wins from: LA, Pheonix, Carolina, Boston, NJ, Ottawa, NYR, Calgary.. the only bad teams they played were Carolina and Pheonix.. the rest are playoff bound are almost there.

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 07:59 AM
  #17
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I don't care about the devils not being on the list, I give a damn that division leading Flyers not being on the list. Care to explaine how they don't make your list.

You little excuss with Souray is crap....we have been playing without Stevens for alot longer and we all know who is more important to their team.
The flyers are number 5.....

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 08:03 AM
  #18
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
JoseTheo not having NJ on your list is pure homerism...although they don't have Stevens in their lineup and they haven't been playing well as of late, they must still be considered in the top 5 teams of hockey.

When playoff time comes, anything can happen, as been proved many times. I wouldn't be suprised to see the cup in NJ again.
why are all of you freek'n out?
these power index are usualy based on 1-2 weeks of play chill, in the last 1-2 weeks new jersey wasnt playing well but other teams have been, the power index fluctuates weekly acording to performance, so relax!

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 08:52 AM
  #19
ColdSteelOnIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
People, people, people.

When are you going to realize that polls like this are based on opinion. Everybodies opinion is different. If one poster beleives that New Jersey is a top ten team and another thinks that Nashville is and New Jersey isn't, neither is wrong.

IT IS OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong.

ColdSteelOnIce is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 08:58 AM
  #20
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteelOnIce
Wrong.
Right!

TwineSniper is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 08:59 AM
  #21
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
4. Ottawa Senators 4-3-2-1
5. Philadelphia Flyers 4-4-1-1 They haven't been playing the best hockey over the past little while.. but they still deserve this spot for the way they've been playing all season.
During that span they have tied and beaten the Senators, so those two should be flip-flopped.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:21 AM
  #22
ZombieMatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Your index sucks, Montreal is 7th in the conference, no way they should be in there.
I disagree.

With Jose Theodore in net, and a decent amount of offensive firepower, I think the Canadiens are a terrifying first round opponent.

ZombieMatt is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 10:22 AM
  #23
Other Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New and improved in TO
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
During that span they have tied and beaten the Senators, so those two should be flip-flopped.
I'll agree to that. A couple of blowout wins against the Pens and Sabres doesn't change the fact that Ottawa's been stinking up the joint lately.

Other Dave

Other Dave is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 10:28 AM
  #24
Youreallygotme
Registered User
 
Youreallygotme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
OMG....ifi you dont like someones list, MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN LIST

1.Ottawa
2.Detroit
3.Philly
4.Toronto
5.Vancouver
6.San Jose
7. Colorado
8.Montreal
9.New Jersey
10.Tampa Bay

Youreallygotme is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 10:30 AM
  #25
Rotting Corpse*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
I actually like TSN's power rankings. They use a system rather than just going "omg, Avs rule" like ESPN. injuries are a factor, scorers are a factor. It looks at who would win in a seven game series rather than just who is at the top of the standings.

TSN's power rankings. :yes:

Rotting Corpse* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.