HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisarek vs. O'Byrne

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
  #1
11alias11
Registered User
 
11alias11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Komisarek vs. O'Byrne

I've been seeing a lot of O'Byrne hatred here recently but a ton of love for Komi (which is absolutely deserved, don't get me wrong). However, I think these players are very similar and if we give O'Byrne away we'll end up regretting it down the road. He's built in the same mould as Komi. Granted, he is not at Komi's level now, but look at Komi's stats when he entered the league vs. O'Byrne's stats.

Komisarek
2002/03 GP-21 G-0 A-1 Pts-1 +/- -6 PIM-28
2003/04 GP-46 G-0 A-4 Pts-4 +/- 4 PIM-34

O'Byrne
2007/08 GP-33 G-1 A-6 Pts-7 +/- 7 PIM-45
2008/09 GP-22 G-0 A-3 Pts-3 +/- -5 PIM-23

O'Byrne has 5 more points, and a better +/- by 4 in 12 fewer games played. He is still growing and adjusting to his own body. And yes he still has a lot of his game to work on, especially defensively, and I still don't think he has adjusted to the speed of the NHL, but Komisarek went through the same growing pains when he was a rookie/sophomore and he is virtually untradeable now. Give O'Byrne a couple years and I think we'll be saying the same thing we're saying about Komi now.

Discuss.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
  #2
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Komisarek's positioning wasn't so good, but he was extremely physical and that's what is lacking in O'Byrne's play.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
  #3
11alias11
Registered User
 
11alias11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Komisarek's positioning wasn't so good, but he was extremely physical and that's what is lacking in O'Byrne's play.
I think the reason O'Byrne hasn't been as physical as he can be is because he has yet to adjust to the speed in the NHL. Once O'Byrne does that I think he will be a very similar player to Komisarek.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
  #4
PrairieHabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
You can't use offensive stats or plus/minus to compare players like Komo or O'Byrne. They are defensive specialists and the only stats that will typically stand out will be hits and shots blocked. Having said that, O'Byrne has to step up the physical side of his game many levels to be as good as Komo. Komo plays with an edge all the time and thus far O'Byrne has only shown a physical game at times. He has a long way to go to reach Komo's consistent play.

PrairieHabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
  #5
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
Give O'Byrne a couple years and I think we'll be saying the same thing we're saying about Komi now.
Discuss.
I wouldn't go that far, but your point is well-taken. I for one thought that O'Byrne showed a lot of promise in between the few highlight reel gaffes he had the misfortune to make. I haven't given up on him.

And btw, Komisarek is probably a bit over-rated. He's good, but he's nowhere near the beast I was hoping for (rod langway with a bit of scott stevens in him)....

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
  #6
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Stats were maybe similar,but it doesn't accurately indicate O'byrne's play.I remember when Komisarek came in, he hitted everything he saw,but his positioning wasn't good and his skating was not as good as now.O'byrnes positional play is as bad or worse than Komisarek's at that time and his hitting is at a bad timing.

Also you have to consider that Komisarek during those years was in a mediocre defensive squad (Markov was starting to turn some heads in the organisation) while O'byrne was paired with Roman Hamrlik for most of the time.

I remember a sequence this year of O'byrne going for a hit on the puck carrier on a 2 on 1 and we got scored on. Even when Komisarek was making mistakes,you could feel his intensity and a certain amount of confidence,something that doesn't reflect on Obyrne's play.

Yet, I think O'byrne can develop into a very solid 5-6th defenceman. His skating isn't that bad for a guy of his size. With young players, it's all about the confidence and mental toughness.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
  #7
11alias11
Registered User
 
11alias11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber View Post
You can't use offensive stats or plus/minus to compare players like Komo or O'Byrne. They are defensive specialists and the only stats that will typically stand out will be hits and shots blocked. Having said that, O'Byrne has to step up the physical side of his game many levels to be as good as Komo. Komo plays with an edge all the time and thus far O'Byrne has only shown a physical game at times. He has a long way to go to reach Komo's consistent play.

I'm not comparing today's Komo to today's O'Byrne. You want to see hits & shots blocked? Fine.

O'Byrne
2007/08 GP - 33 Hits - 65 Shots Blocked - 50
2008/09 GP - 22 Hits - 49 Shots Blocked - 29

Komisarek
2002/03 GP - 21 Hits - 35 Shots Blocked - 23
2003/04 ????
For some reason NHL.com doesn't have these stats listed for this year, if anyone knows of another place to find these stats I'd appreciate it. But it's not like Komo blows O'Byrne out of the water at that point in his career, in fact O'Byrnes are better.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
  #8
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
This thread topic is hilarious.






lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
  #9
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Komisarek was younger when he entered the NHL and also played on a much worse team.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
  #10
11alias11
Registered User
 
11alias11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
congratulations lou4gehrig. I can do that too.





You completely are missing the point.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
  #11
Myt621
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Komi and O'byrne might be close with their stats, and the way they play yet

The difference b/w the two is that Komi is enthusiastic, always has a smile on his face, great guy in the locker room, always sticks up for his teammates, thus he is a fan favorite. While you don't see or hear that about O'byrne.

Myt621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
  #12
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
I've been seeing a lot of O'Byrne hatred here recently but a ton of love for Komi (which is absolutely deserved, don't get me wrong). However, I think these players are very similar and if we give O'Byrne away we'll end up regretting it down the road. He's built in the same mould as Komi. Granted, he is not at Komi's level now, but look at Komi's stats when he entered the league vs. O'Byrne's stats.

Komisarek
2002/03 GP-21 G-0 A-1 Pts-1 +/- -6 PIM-28
2003/04 GP-46 G-0 A-4 Pts-4 +/- 4 PIM-34

O'Byrne
2007/08 GP-33 G-1 A-6 Pts-7 +/- 7 PIM-45
2008/09 GP-22 G-0 A-3 Pts-3 +/- -5 PIM-23

O'Byrne has 5 more points, and a better +/- by 4 in 12 fewer games played. He is still growing and adjusting to his own body. And yes he still has a lot of his game to work on, especially defensively, and I still don't think he has adjusted to the speed of the NHL, but Komisarek went through the same growing pains when he was a rookie/sophomore and he is virtually untradeable now. Give O'Byrne a couple years and I think we'll be saying the same thing we're saying about Komi now.

Discuss.
First of all, you can't compare their stats without acknowledging how much better the Montreal Canadiens team that O'Byrne broke in with was compared to the team Komo broke in with. It's a night and day difference.

Besides both of them being big players with limited offensive skillsets, I don't see the comparison between them at all.

Komisarek - from day one - was a mean, physical, tough defenseman.

Ryan O'Byrne is a much more timid player that uses his size only for reach.

I would compare O'Byrne to Hal Gill. I would compare Komisarek to Scott Stevens. Do you see the difference?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
  #13
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myt621 View Post
Komi and O'byrne might be close with their stats, and the way they play yet

The difference b/w the two is that Komi is enthusiastic, always has a smile on his face, great guy in the locker room, always sticks up for his teammates, thus he is a fan favorite. While you don't see or hear that about O'byrne.
O'Byrne got along well with his teammates, stuck up for teammates on multiple occasions, and was always enthusiastic and involved in practices and in camps.

Regardless, player personalities are not up for discussion here. If you admit O'Byrne and Komisarek have similarities in stats and playing style, that is all the original poster was claiming.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
  #14
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
I'm not comparing today's Komo to today's O'Byrne. You want to see hits & shots blocked? Fine.

O'Byrne
2007/08 GP - 33 Hits - 65 Shots Blocked - 50
2008/09 GP - 22 Hits - 49 Shots Blocked - 29

Komisarek
2002/03 GP - 21 Hits - 35 Shots Blocked - 23
2003/04 ????
For some reason NHL.com doesn't have these stats listed for this year, if anyone knows of another place to find these stats I'd appreciate it. But it's not like Komo blows O'Byrne out of the water at that point in his career, in fact O'Byrnes are better.
Nah, for some reason, 5 years go the NHL didn't seem to register as many hits as it does now, just look at the stats for the 02-03 season. There are only 4 players with 100 hits or more and Willie Mitchell lead the league with 65 blocked shots. My guess is that the BSK and HIT statistics were new to the NHL and they didn't seem to register them all. We're only half way trough the season and there are already 27 players with 100 hits or more and 58 players have already eclipsed Mitchell's league leading 65 BKS.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
  #15
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Julien kept benching Komisarek and he never learned from any mistakes, in came Bob Gainey and decided that people on this team have to step up because he won't solve all our problems via outside help and he flourished, just like Plekanec and many others, to this day I think this philosophy is still maintained.

Don't forget we weren't as competitive back when Komisarek first broke into the league, and O'Byrne just isn't ready yet to take the #4 D-man spot this year, so I think he's where he is supposed to be right now in Hamilton, and by no means a bust. When he's ready, he will join the team (next year or near the trade deadline after roster shuffles).

Book it.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
  #16
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,100
vCash: 256
At the time we couldn't afford getting rid of Komisarek,now however losing O'Byrne with all our defense of depth wouldn't be that big of a deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
  #17
EnfantBatard
Registered User
 
EnfantBatard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlemagne
Country: Canada
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
O'Byrne will be a good D-man. He just need to learn how to be a nhler.

EnfantBatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:55 PM
  #18
C4KOMI
 
C4KOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
its not always about points but more character and being able to get up each time your knocked down (remember last game), komisarek has character, obyrne doesnt... until now.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
  #19
Stan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
O'Byrne's injury really slowed him down this year and last year. I don't think its as easy to come back as some think. Might also explain the reason for Chips struggles...just a thought.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
  #20
Sthabs
Registered User
 
Sthabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
I think we went a little too fast with Obs development because he was ahead of his curve, and seemed ready for it.
What separates Komi from Obyrne is mental, not the pace, grit or whatever.
Ryan just wasnt ready yet...not ready to fully assume his role and the pressure etc on a regular basis. He knows he can and he is doing it at the AHL level just fine. How come he s hitting hard in the AHL ?
He just doesnt have the confidence yet to do it in the NHL, we tried, we failed, and hopefully we ll try again. I m sure Bob and co havent given up on him too .

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
  #21
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post

Yet, I think O'byrne can develop into a very solid 5-6th defenceman. His skating isn't that bad for a guy of his size. With young players, it's all about the confidence and mental toughness.
You don't find Dmen his size that can skate like he can. He just needs more game experience .. some develop slower than others (Beauchemin) but he can become a great #5dman if given time. From all reports he is getting back to playing the way he did before, in the AHL he is playing physical and skating well

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
  #22
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Komisarek in 2004 looked a lot like O'Byrne did this year. Take that for what it's worth.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:43 PM
  #23
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
1) Obyrne can definetely be physical... he has no confidence right now in the NHL but he has been very physical in Hamilton in the AHL... both during the Calder Cup year, last year and this year since being sent down.

2) You can't compare O'byrne and Komisarek after the same number of NHL games. O'byrne has spent more time in the AHL and more years in college. He was older and had more development time before he came up. He was also playing on a better team and much more insulated than Komi was when he came up.

I think O'byrne was playing without confidence in montreal and he was overthinking the game and it became too fast for him. He made a couple mistakes early in preseason, and then he never got any confidence or rhthym. His ice time was reduced, he was benched. Everytime he stepped on the ice, it got worse for him. The fans booed him, he made more mistakes, his icetime was reduced, his confidence fell further. It was a cycle and the only way to break it was some time in Hamilton. It happened with Price last year... he went down and came back up as a better goalie than the one who went down at the end of January. O'Byrne's play in Hamilton lately has been very good from the couple of games i have seen.... I think he deserves another chance in montreal.

That said O'byrne will never be as good as Komi IMO. Komi is a legit top pairing shutdown Dman. Obyrne's max potential is to be a #4 or #5 defensive dman. But he is still a useful asset for us.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
  #24
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty67 View Post
1) Obyrne can definetely be physical... he has no confidence right now in the NHL but he has been very physical in Hamilton in the AHL... both during the Calder Cup year, last year and this year since being sent down.

2) You can't compare O'byrne and Komisarek after the same number of NHL games. O'byrne has spent more time in the AHL and more years in college. He was older and had more development time before he came up. He was also playing on a better team and much more insulated than Komi was when he came up.

I think O'byrne was playing without confidence in montreal and he was overthinking the game and it became too fast for him. He made a couple mistakes early in preseason, and then he never got any confidence or rhthym. His ice time was reduced, he was benched. Everytime he stepped on the ice, it got worse for him. The fans booed him, he made more mistakes, his icetime was reduced, his confidence fell further. It was a cycle and the only way to break it was some time in Hamilton. It happened with Price last year... he went down and came back up as a better goalie than the one who went down at the end of January. O'Byrne's play in Hamilton lately has been very good from the couple of games i have seen.... I think he deserves another chance in montreal.

That said O'byrne will never be as good as Komi IMO. Komi is a legit top pairing shutdown Dman. Obyrne's max potential is to be a #4 or #5 defensive dman. But he is still a useful asset for us.
It didn't help that the whole team was playing terrible. He had no one to look at to try to improve his play even Markov was looking bad at times. About the most consistant player was Gorges during our dark days of 08.

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
  #25
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
congratulations lou4gehrig. I can do that too.





You completely are missing the point.
Seriously, what makes Komi great is he is a huge guy, yet has the heart of a lion. It's a rare combination.

O'Byrne is big, but he's not nasty. He's just too nice. I'm not sure if you can just develop that overnight.

It's a common thing in sports. The big, athletic player with no heart is worth less than the small guy who is all heart.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.