HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lone Rogue Rant: Saku Koivu, National Pride and the Montreal Canadiens

Old
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Judge Sauer*

vCash: 500
there are 'fans' who come out and bash Koivu based on language, lack of Cups, scoring titles, etc.
I've always felt that these people are grasping at straws or totally ignorant.

He grew up a total competitor, never liked to lose in backyard hockey. It doesn't matter that the game was held in Finlad, Canada or Croatia. It was still the same game. His heart and determination won everyone over for years. It is his competitivness and passion that epitomisez what it is to wear the Habs uniform especially as a captain. His leadership can sometimes be mistaken as he is not the 'rah rah' type of guy. He leads and expects others to follow. He'll point out what to do on the ice, shout at someone to be open as he carries the puck, repositions or warns a line mate of what to expect when he wins the faceoff.
Years of mediocrity never swayed him from the team. He saw it as his team as he was captain and made the best of what he was provided with. Not once did he complain, not once has there been an Eklund trade rumour that has gone to say that Koivu has a chance of being dealt (I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing one). If Eklund is smart enough to see the value of Koivu being on the Habs, how do other people not see it too?
He drains himself every night on the ice, there is no floating in his game. You may hear that he had an off night, but you will never hear about him spending a bunch of time at the blue line. This man will dig into the corners, take the puck and give it to the guy that's waiting. During the playoffs last year, no one stood in front of the Boston net, Koivu comes back, lo and behold, he is the first one there causing chaos for the goalie. The dudes frame is smaller than many mates, but he ventured into the area no one else wanted to. The turning point in the series was his return from injury.

We argue a lot about Kovy being a playoff monster, he is and I love him on the team, but the playoff success of this team hinges on Koivu so much. When he is down or gone, the team is not the same come playoff time. Koivu returns and the team beats Boston, Koivu goes down with a stick to the eye and the team loses handily to Carolina afterwards.
It's not just the point production, it's the leadership and the fire in him that keeps the team going during the hardest time of the year.

Almost all former team mates and other players in the league want him to be the one to win a Cup if they can't win one themselves, he is the first one to be cheered by his peers. That in itself speaks volumes to Koivu as an individual and a player. It's not a pity vote, it's a vote of someone who deserves it for all his work and determination.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I could ask you why didn't you learn English while you were in Montreal?

Koivu speaks French, not fluently, but passable for someone who is basically a visitor here. He wasn't born here. He doesn't spend all his time here and the time he is here it's spent travelling across North America. You grew up and spent most of your time in Montreal, why did you have to move to Vancouver to learn English. Montreal is a bilingual (actually multilingual) city.

You see your logic can be applied to you too.
No, it is not...

While there are 2 main languages and multiple others spoken, the only official language is french...

That is why it's the 3rd largest french-speaking city in the world...

I don't want to turn this into francophons vs the rest debate... espacially considering that I have the most respect for Saku Koivu and that I want him to finish his career in Mtl, but I feel there is no respect for the particularity of Quebec francophon culture around here or if there is, it's very very mild compare to the ranting against it... as many people always accused someone who's defending the quebecois culture of being racist, xenophobic, etc.

Althought, I admit some comments are bordeline neo-nazi sometimes, some others are just the result of a small community afraid that their culture will drown in a sea of 300 millions anglophons... In that matter, we can't compare what's going on here with what's happening in Vancouver or Toronto or New York, etc.

I just want to point out some of the comments made here :

1."The guy is here to play hockey, nothing else, he doesn't have to do anything, he doesn't have to learn the language, he doesn't have to appreciate the culture, what don't people understand about that."

I don't understand your point of view, are you saying that immigrants who work here (or anywhere else for that matter) shouldn't adapt to the culture? Should they just work and get on with their former life?

I agree that the status of hockey players is different here in Mtl, but because french is sponken by a small minority. I can assure you that if Saku refused to speak english in TO (after more than 10 years) you would be hearing about it...

I understand that he actually knows french and I'm sure a lot more than we think about Quebec culture which proves that workers should adapt to their place of "adoption"... not for the first year I guess, but long term sure...

2. "Remember there are Montreal fans all over Canada and the U.S. and fans who do think this way should not act as though the team only belong to the people of Quebec."

Another post that I don't understand... They are the Montreal Canadien, why should we care about fans living outside Montreal... Most of the revenues comes from Quebecers and if there are many fans over the world, it is still a team from Quebec... if one day they move, they surely won't me called the Portland Canadiens...

There's a lot of supporter of Real Madrid all over the world espacially in China and Thailand... should we say that Real Madrid doesn't belong to Spain and Madrid but to Chinese and Thais equally?

The point of my post was to ask posters around here to have a little more respect toward the particularity of Quebec culture... I still want people to **** over any clear racist or xenophobic comments made by anyone, but saying that Montreal is bilingual while it's not or saying that "here in Toronto or NY" while the situation is much more different here, I feel it's disrespecting to Quebecois in general...

And btw, the Canadiens organisation is not respecting the language law in quebec, where they have to provide a french speaking environment, espacially for francophons, but I have never heard of any journalist or fans asking the team and coaches to respect our law, I also never heard of the infamous Tongue Troopers busting in the Bell Centre and locking it... I mean why can't you see that the vast majority of francophons are OK with some derogations to the law so that we can all enjoy this wonderfull sport?

Again, I come in peace and I hope Saku stays for next year and beyond...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Damn straight! Saku Koivu has been through endless number of injuries, cancer and still bounced back. When times were tough (think late 90s early 00s), he could easily have taken a hike to some team and rack up huge points beside some superstar scorers like Selanne and be a lot more recognized as an NHL player.

For the French media and fans to attack him because he doesn't speak in their vernacular or isn't from their homeland is extremely low classed. Shows how low-classed some people are for discrediting excellence because that excellence is not from their homeland.

Hopefully this is the year that the Canadiens will win the Stanley Cup and Koivu will receive exactly what he deserves.
Sure. You're right. It's always right in English.

When a francophone player goes to, say, Calgary, suddenly he's sullen, withdrawn and doesn't fit in. Too soft. Won't play defence. Not a team guy. When a Russian player -- maybe Belorussian -- doesn't come over to Canada right away and takes some time to learn English all we hear is that he's sullen and withdrawn, doesn't fit in. Can't speak the language. Communication difficulties. He doesn't get it. Wasted draft choice. No character.

It's an obvious double standard. Enough. English speakers expect everybody to speak English wherever they go but the instant the hint of just saying "Bonsoir" ("good evening" lest this be censored for too much French) occasionally or ordering off a menu is too much! Somehow Jason Pominville manages to even do TV ads in English for Buffalo radio. Would a Don Cherry fav do the same in French?

Thing is, I agree with all the good stuff about Saku and agree that Rejean Tremblay really is a cause looking for a soapbox. It's nothing against Saku. He's a great captain who has never once had the wingers he deserves. He's also never been the same since the first knee injury and the Don Sweeney horse collar tackle that re-did the shoulder.

It's the anglophone double standard that I don't like. It's time somebody owned it.

Last edited by Chris Nilan: 01-20-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: missing quotation marks
Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Outside of hockey, for all intents and purposes, Saku Koivu is a Canadian citizen. Drop the word citizen. Saku Koivu is a Canadian. The only time Saku Koivu is not considered Canadian is when the world watches an honestly meaningless game of national pride in World Championship and Olympics, where Saku plays for the country he spent the first part of his life growing up in: Finland.
Oh my ****ing god! That's the biggest BS I have ever seen in my life. Now I myself am a huge fan of The Habs and Saku, but there's no way in hell, you can say that he's anything but a Finn. Sure he has been employed by a Canadian team for a large part of his pro playing career, but he'll forever be a Finn and his team will be TPS Turku.

The only time Saku would be considered even partly a Canadian is if he got a citizenship, which I doubt will ever happen.

Nevertheless, despite of my rant, I think Saku has been an amazing leader for the Habs for so many years and deserved a captainship regardless of where he is from. Although I have already seen Saku hoist up the Finnish SM-Liiga championship trophy and the World Championship trophy, there's one more thing missing and that's The Stanley Cup, as the Captain of THE Montreal Canadiens.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Wow

Nice text Rogue! I completely agree.

I was at the end of HS when Saku Koivu started on the team, I've seen him his entire career and I would never see him in another jersey, ever. He's a Habs through and through. I remember seeing him being drafted on a beautiful Saturday summer afternoon, just two weeks after I celebrated the 93 cup. I remember him being really amazing in his sophomore season, until that unfortunate accident against the Hawks in early December of 96. I remember seeing him in crutches the following week-end when I went to the McDonald's Habs ability contest, and wondering how BAD the rest of the season was going to be without him... a SOPHOMORE. He was something special and still is. We should be proud of one of our last great draft choices that we had before the Savard/Timmins era (okay, him AND Markov). Saku never played on a talent packed team before last season. He wasn't the one who traded away Turgeon and Damphousse and am pretty sure he wasn't the one who asked for that and would've prefered they remained here. After 94, If we would've drafted like we are drafting today, if Saku didn't get that injury, nobody would ever doubt him. But, for the inbreds, its always easier to find excuses for their hatred. To find non-sensical arguments to fuel their own justification of that hatred.

Saku won't ask for a raise. That's just one more non-sensical argument just for the sake of justifying an unjustifyiable demand and is rather just wishful thinking from the ones who want to see him gone.

If these people had any kinda logic, they'd look at the depth chart we have at center, they'd look at Saku's stats, especially in the playoffs, and they'd realize that we still need him, and he'll probably retire a Habs after 3-4 more seasons of play.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No, it is not...

While there are 2 main languages and multiple others spoken, the only official language is french...

That is why it's the 3rd largest french-speaking city in the world...

I don't want to turn this into francophons vs the rest debate... espacially considering that I have the most respect for Saku Koivu and that I want him to finish his career in Mtl, but I feel there is no respect for the particularity of Quebec francophon culture around here or if there is, it's very very mild compare to the ranting against it... as many people always accused someone who's defending the quebecois culture of being racist, xenophobic, etc.

Althought, I admit some comments are bordeline neo-nazi sometimes, some others are just the result of a small community afraid that their culture will drown in a sea of 300 millions anglophons... In that matter, we can't compare what's going on here with what's happening in Vancouver or Toronto or New York, etc.

I just want to point out some of the comments made here :

1."The guy is here to play hockey, nothing else, he doesn't have to do anything, he doesn't have to learn the language, he doesn't have to appreciate the culture, what don't people understand about that."

I don't understand your point of view, are you saying that immigrants who work here (or anywhere else for that matter) shouldn't adapt to the culture? Should they just work and get on with their former life?

I agree that the status of hockey players is different here in Mtl, but because french is sponken by a small minority. I can assure you that if Saku refused to speak english in TO (after more than 10 years) you would be hearing about it...

I understand that he actually knows french and I'm sure a lot more than we think about Quebec culture which proves that workers should adapt to their place of "adoption"... not for the first year I guess, but long term sure...

2. "Remember there are Montreal fans all over Canada and the U.S. and fans who do think this way should not act as though the team only belong to the people of Quebec."

Another post that I don't understand... They are the Montreal Canadien, why should we care about fans living outside Montreal... Most of the revenues comes from Quebecers and if there are many fans over the world, it is still a team from Quebec... if one day they move, they surely won't me called the Portland Canadiens...

There's a lot of supporter of Real Madrid all over the world espacially in China and Thailand... should we say that Real Madrid doesn't belong to Spain and Madrid but to Chinese and Thais equally?

The point of my post was to ask posters around here to have a little more respect toward the particularity of Quebec culture... I still want people to **** over any clear racist or xenophobic comments made by anyone, but saying that Montreal is bilingual while it's not or saying that "here in Toronto or NY" while the situation is much more different here, I feel it's disrespecting to Quebecois in general...

And btw, the Canadiens organisation is not respecting the language law in quebec, where they have to provide a french speaking environment, espacially for francophons, but I have never heard of any journalist or fans asking the team and coaches to respect our law, I also never heard of the infamous Tongue Troopers busting in the Bell Centre and locking it... I mean why can't you see that the vast majority of francophons are OK with some derogations to the law so that we can all enjoy this wonderfull sport?

Again, I come in peace and I hope Saku stays for next year and beyond...
I've been living in Montreal for almost a decade now after growing up in the burbs, and I can tell ya that Montreal is definitely bilingual. Evenmore so ever since more immigrants have been coming over. Most people I know who are French understand and can speak basic English and vice-versa with English people. De facto, it is French, but in all intent and purposes, it is bilingual.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

My 2 cents, I love the guy, he is a warrior, leader, never backs down, has the respect of his peers, teammates, coaches, managers, owners, and community minus a few zealots who have their own agendas.

He consistently turns scrubs into goal scorers and hold those who are not giving their all accountable (Ribeiro). He was the only bright spot on some terrible teams and got blasted for it as the captain which was unfair.

I noticed since RDS started showing all the games and people got to see more of Koivu play their opinions of him have changed over the last few years. I have Hab fan friends that were always bashing him because he was too small and injury prone, but the more they saw the more they realize what a great and special player he is.

I hope he retires a Hab and if he raises that cup I will shed a tear and almost be more happy for him to win it than for me being a fan.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Joe Cole

A pro team, not the national team

People have to for once realize that this is a Professional Hockey team.

Not a National Olympic team.
Not a religion.
Not a symbol of anything except for themselves.

It is great to have passionate fans, but it is simply denying reality to think that the team is responsible for anything besides giving us a great show on the ice.

Anything else is only in our imaginations.

Relax, and enjoy the game.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Haddock

Kudos to MTL-rules and Chris Nilan for talking about the elephant in the room in those Saku-rant threads. I don't think your words will convince or awaken the people who just don't understand the reality of the situation, but it's nice to know that there's people like you here. The people who assume that Montréal is a bilingual city are probably the same ones who think anglophone represent half the population of the province as a whole. Know your demographic numbers people!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

I love Saku. I mean, he did punch Ribeiro in the face.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Oh my ****ing god! That's the biggest BS I have ever seen in my life. Now I myself am a huge fan of The Habs and Saku, but there's no way in hell, you can say that he's anything but a Finn. Sure he has been employed by a Canadian team for a large part of his pro playing career, but he'll forever be a Finn and his team will be TPS Turku.

The only time Saku would be considered even partly a Canadian is if he got a citizenship, which I doubt will ever happen.

Nevertheless, despite of my rant, I think Saku has been an amazing leader for the Habs for so many years and deserved a captainship regardless of where he is from. Although I have already seen Saku hoist up the Finnish SM-Liiga championship trophy and the World Championship trophy, there's one more thing missing and that's The Stanley Cup, as the Captain of THE Montreal Canadiens.
Do you even know whether or not he has the citizenship??..
The man has been working here for 13years. Yes he is a Finn, but one can argue, after living here for so long, he's certainly must have adopted some Canadian aspects.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-20-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Kudos to MTL-rules and Chris Nilan for talking about the elephant in the room in those Saku-rant threads. I don't think your words will convince or awaken the people who just don't understand the reality of the situation, but it's nice to know that there's people like you here. The people who assume that Montréal is a bilingual city are probably the same ones who think anglophone represent half the population of the province as a whole. Know your demographic numbers people!
I second that emotion.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Sorry but demographics do not show HOW MANY speak English, it only says that 66,5% have French as their first language, 19% have English, in the greater Montreal, which is 3,5 million people. Now, out of the 66,5%, how many speak English? Out of the remaining 15%, how many speak English? Why, if it is majorily French, do we have three English TV stations who have regional broadcasts here, with regional programming, like Global Montreal, CTV Montreal?

Do you actually live in Montreal? Have you went all over the city?

Like I said before, it is DE FACTO French, but in all intent and purposes it is bilingual.

I'm both French and English, and maybe that's why I'm not blind to the actual reality.

And please, I know full well that the majority of the province is French and I know the demographics.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
What I find funny is that people need to jump in and stomp on the notion that Montreal is a bilingual or multi-lingual city. It just seems so insecure. Sure, it's officially a french city, but frankly I don't care. I know better. Hell, I speak 5 languages. This is a bilingual city and I'm proud of it. It's a multi-cultural city with tons of different people and cultures and languages and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. I'm proud of the diversity we have here in Montreal. If the government wants to say we are officially a french city, go ahead. Anyone who lives here knows the truth.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Not The One

I agree as well with MTL-rules and Chris Nilan.

I think some of the "malaise" regarding Saku is that, for a long-time Canadiens captain, he is virtually absent from Quebec's non-sports media. For somebody like myself who until recently did not have cable, Saku just did not have a lot of regular media weight. I mean... you hear sometimes about Béliveau, Roy, Lafleur, Dryden, even Brisebois or Latendresse, Kovalev, Chelios, Crosby, Ribeiro, etc. But, except for the language issue and his cancer, he rarely makes the news. By comparison Kovalev was on TLMEP and got a lot of press for his hockey dvd even if is not francophone. I know he does charitable causes and all, like almost every high profile multi-multi-millionaire, but despite the length of his captaincy he's got a very low profile.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

All the demographics and so on are interesting, tone has been civil thus far, etc...

BUT!

Speaking as a person of HFBoards colour... to keep this thread On-topic and not have posts deleted/moved/persecuted, language and related debates are supposed to be taken elsewhere (or to PM).

Let us just praise Saku. Kumbaya!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
All the demographics and so on are interesting, tone has been civil thus far, etc...

BUT!

Speaking as a person of HFBoards colour... to keep this thread On-topic and not have posts deleted/moved/persecuted, language and related debates are supposed to be taken elsewhere (or to PM).

Let us just praise Saku. Kumbaya!

Shesh, you spelled his last name wrong, it's K-O-I-V-U.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
CH4

I see Sevil's point; I want him to stay, but not at any price, I'd like him to keep a 4.5-5 millions range contract, not much more.

he is not the player he used to be on the ice, getting old, but is still the heart and soul of the team. His point (I was at the debate) was simply to not sign him at any price. Not questionning his utility to the team.

He has what, 2-3 years maximum in the thank, then he'll be gone.

Stop attacking Chicoutimi you people especialle LR for bringing it in If Saku was Saguenéen, he would definately be better, as we are better people.

BTW it is a completely bilingual city (Chicoutimi).

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Shesh, you spelled his last name wrong, it's K-O-I-V-U.
And you spelled my first name wrong... it's not "Shesh", it's B-L-I-N-D. Er, now I have to delete my own posts for going all spammy and OT. Doh. Boo GB!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I agree not to sign him at any cost, I bet he would take a minor paycut to stay as well as the team around him is improving.

I also wanted to mention that with a lot of the political BS he has to put up with he still has been loyal to the team and re-signed as a UFA what 3 times? That's more than some of the big unresricted local boys have done for the Habs.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And you spelled my first name wrong... it's not "Shesh", it's B-L-I-N-D. Er, now I have to delete my own posts for going all spammy and OT. Doh. Boo GB!
Word of advice: if you don't want to go off topic, don't respond to my posts. The mods (god bless 'em) might not be as tolerant with you...

Old
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
The guy is here to play hockey, nothing else, he doesn't have to do anything, he doesn't have to learn the language, he doesn't have to appreciate the culture, what don't people understand about that.

The guy already had to learn english so he can conduct himself in the league, leave the guy alone, honestly.
I'm living in San Cristobal de las Casas since two weeks. I started to learn spanish and it's way better to make airons (comissions), live a better life, understand, feel and enjoy the place where you are at. If I lived in Russia, Ì'd learn russian.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I decided to write this based on something that happened the other day. On another hockey board, there was someone discussing Saku Koivu. His point was pretty much he didn’t want to see Koivu return with a long term contract, especially if he was getting a raise. He clarified his point in stating that as a proud Canadian, he would prefer to see the Montreal Canadiens captained by someone who was Canadian.

Now, as a Saku Koivu fan, and someone who has been hearing this for years, it struck a nerve at me and I unleashed on this poster. Maybe he deserved it, maybe he didn’t. Part of it was because I heard someone say this just last week as well, and I wondered how they could call themselves a Montreal Canadiens fan for saying that about the heart and soul of this team. The person also tried to justify their comments by saying we’ve never won a Cup with Koivu, so clearly him as captain wasn’t working.

As I said, I went over the edge on this person, and really, I could have gone farther. But this has more to do with just Saku Koivu. It has to do with how us Canadians view hockey players. Not just Montreal Canadiens, but Canadian hockey fans. There are people who would prefer to cheer for Canadian players, and will sometimes look for any reason for Montreal to acquire a Canadian in exchange for a European or American. There are also those on the other side of the spectrum, who sick and tired of Canadian (especially French Canadian) bias, will overrate Europeans and underrate Canadian players due to feeling they’ve been shoved down their throats. It bewilders me how people could look at the game like this, and it made me wonder.

Going back to Saku Koivu, let me make a point about him. Saku Koivu was drafted to the Montreal Canadiens in June of 1993. He didn’t come onto the team until the 1995-1996 season. Now, I’m willing to bet that quite a few of you were either not born until 1993, or don’t remember Saku playing his first game. Not everyone, but a lot. And that’s okay, I wasn’t born when Chris Chelios first played a game in a Canadiens sweater myself and was only a year old when Montreal won the Cup in ’86. Anyway, Koivu has been playing for the Habs since the 95-96 season. I don’t know the year, but today, Saku Koivu owns a home in Montreal and I believe has dual citizenship. He is also married to a woman, while not French Canadian, does speak fluent french (thanks for correcting, Haddock and habtastic) and has children who goto school in Montreal. Outside of hockey, for all intents and purposes, Saku Koivu is a Canadian citizen. Drop the word citizen. Saku Koivu is a Canadian. The only time Saku Koivu is not considered Canadian is when the world watches an honestly meaningless game of national pride in World Championship and Olympics, where Saku plays for the country he spent the first part of his life growing up in: Finland. Sure, he never grew up in Canada playing hockey, but we all came from immigrants. Some of us refer to ourselves with a hyphen. Personally, my grandmother, while born in Poland, you ask who she is, she says she is a Canadian. Saku Koivu is a Canadian. Yet some people continue to hold this bizarre apathy for him because he lived the first half of his life in a foreign country and does not play for our National team.

Personally, and I’m sure many who feel this way will vehemently disagree and present their track record of equality, I think this is an example of the xenophobic ignorance that runs through our country, no matter how much we try to present ourselves as more forgiving or more accepting than our neighbours down south. Impact! Magazine named Saku Koivu one of the ten greatest captains in NHL history, yet some people have a hard time calling Saku *their* captain because he didn’t play pond hockey as an eight year old in Chicoutimi. It has little to do with national pride, because if you haven’t realized, the NHL is not an International competition. The Montreal Canadiens do not represent Canada. They represent the Montreal Canadiens. We have players from all over the world play for our team in hopes of winning what you should hope to see them win: the Stanley Cup. And where they are from should have no bearing on your opinion of them wearing the CH.

In closing, I want to mention an old cliché that was featured in an NHL commercial with Sidney Crosby. “Play for the logo on the front, not the name on the back”. Maybe, as fans, we could take some advice from this. Cheer the player wearing the CH because he is wearing the CH, not for where he is, or is not from.

Good post..but I have a different outlook on things!

I like Saku Koivu. He is a good guy and I'm sure he is a good leader too....but the problem I have is that I would like my team captain to lead my team EVERY SEASON in points and most other stats. I expect my team captain to lead the team in every way possible whether he is Canadian, American or Finnish. I could care less where the captain of my favorite team is from, just as long as he is the true leader of the team and plays every game as hard as he can. I want my team captain to be the best player on the team no matter what....and looking at the Habs roster, there are a lot of other players that have done more than Koivu has over the last 5-6 years.

Well Koivu hasn't been able to play every game, he has missed a lot of time as captain of the Habs and he has been through a lot of stuff...I respect him greatly for his ability to battle cancer and an eye injury and still be able to play in the NHL.....I have great RESPECT for Koivu....but that being said, when I think of a team captain, I think of guys like Lemieux, Yzerman, Iginla, and Sundin. These guys have battled through injury and have lead their teams in almost every stat. Their teams need them in the lineup in order for them to win...where with Koivu, we have had to learn how to win games without him, because he is always getting injured or battling some illness.

I know there is no way to always control a players health....guys get hurt and they miss time, there is nothing that can be done about that....but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Koivu wants to remain a Hab for life, then he should take a paycut on his next contract....otherwise, I would rather see him go to another team than to waste $5+ million a year for a guy who plays 50-60 games a season. He certainly hasn't played a lot and he hasn't really done anything to deserve getting a raise.

This is just my opinion. Koivu is the captain of this team right now and I hope he comes back and plays great hockey for as long as he can....but the biggest thing I'm trying to say is that it won't hurt my feelings if Koivu and the Canadiens happen to part ways.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Good post..but I have a different outlook on things!

I like Saku Koivu. He is a good guy and I'm sure he is a good leader too....but the problem I have is that I would like my team captain to lead my team EVERY SEASON in points and most other stats. I expect my team captain to lead the team in every way possible whether he is Canadian, American or Finnish. I could care less where the captain of my favorite team is from, just as long as he is the true leader of the team and plays every game as hard as he can. I want my team captain to be the best player on the team no matter what....and looking at the Habs roster, there are a lot of other players that have done more than Koivu has over the last 5-6 years.

Well Koivu hasn't been able to play every game, he has missed a lot of time as captain of the Habs and he has been through a lot of stuff...I respect him greatly for his ability to battle cancer and an eye injury and still be able to play in the NHL.....I have great RESPECT for Koivu....but that being said, when I think of a team captain, I think of guys like Lemieux, Yzerman, Iginla, and Sundin. These guys have battled through injury and have lead their teams in almost every stat. Their teams need them in the lineup in order for them to win...where with Koivu, we have had to learn how to win games without him, because he is always getting injured or battling some illness.

I know there is no way to always control a players health....guys get hurt and they miss time, there is nothing that can be done about that....but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Koivu wants to remain a Hab for life, then he should take a paycut on his next contract....otherwise, I would rather see him go to another team than to waste $5+ million a year for a guy who plays 50-60 games a season. He certainly hasn't played a lot and he hasn't really done anything to deserve getting a raise.

This is just my opinion. Koivu is the captain of this team right now and I hope he comes back and plays great hockey for as long as he can....but the biggest thing I'm trying to say is that it won't hurt my feelings if Koivu and the Canadiens happen to part ways.
Luongo isn't the point leader on his team, neither is Lidstrom, neither is Morrow, neither is Marleau, neither is Chara, neither is Sakic (when healthy nowadays), neither is Langenbrunner, neither is Crosby....

In fact, most captains in the league aren't the best pointers on their teams. Only a minority are. Captainship has nothing to do with points, it has to do with leadership.

Point is, we need Koivu to win, past playoffs have proven that.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Luongo isn't the point leader on his team, neither is Lidstrom, neither is Morrow, neither is Marleau, neither is Chara, neither is Sakic (when healthy nowadays), neither is Langenbrunner, neither is Crosby....

In fact, most captains in the league aren't the best pointers on their teams. Only a minority are. Captainship has nothing to do with points, it has to do with leadership.

Point is, we need Koivu to win, past playoffs have proven that.

Thats part of the whole problem though. Yes we might need Koivu to win in the playoffs, but when he is injured and not playing and we keep losing....how is he being a great leader and a great team captain???
He has let us down a lot when it comes to the playoffs. Its not always his fault because injuries happen.....but are we just supposed to sit back and keep calling him a god and a great team captain when he isn't even playing or helping the team win??

Thats the point I'm making, we need a team captain to be there all the time to lead us to victory....not someone who plays good for 60 games a season and then is injured for the rest of it.

Besides, its just my personal opinion. I don't expect anybody to agree with me, but I hope they get the point I'm trying to make.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote