HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

01/20/09 Washington Capitals at Ottawa Senators. Scotiabank Place. 7:30 PM

Old
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
ScreamingHooligan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post

TV: CSN-DC,SPSO (HD), CAN: TSN Online Feed:
Um, I don't think this game is on Comcast Sports Net. They have college basketball on during the game's time slot. However, it is on Versus.

ScreamingHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I actually thought Nylander has been pretty good since the last scratch, but its hard to keep Steckel out of the lineup especially with the pk struggling.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm not at all sure that teams view Nylander as a poisoned pill, but there is certainly no team that needs him which is capable of making the cap room. No team with the cap room has a need for him.

That $5 million price tag is impossible to move in mid-season in the current climate, with so many teams right at the cap, and unsure economic times lying ahead.

Would strong play from Nylander change that reality? Perhaps, but probably not much. That's a lot of salary at a time when the only teams interested in adding a big offensive element are up against the cap.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:01 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I can think of one team that could use Nylander and has the cap room. Columbus.

Only problem would be getting Nylander to move there.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post

They are definitely the best fit in terms of badly needing a 2nd line center and having cap room, and being in the playoff hunt (sort of). And Hitchcock runs the right system for Nylander.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:

Colorado?

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Sweet more Nylander drama inc..

He actually had been playing a bit better recently, we're still not going to be able to move him.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
An injury strapped team at the trading deadline seems to be our next chance to offer him a new home. Perhaps more likely, it will go down this summer. Nylander is not a poison pill. I like the depth he gives us at center. We are winning with him. Feds has missed lots of games. Gordon has missed a few. GMGM wanted Feds over Alzner and cap room and we just have to live it. Perhaps he was positive he could easily move Nylander. He would be wrong.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Per this article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...87466-sun.html

(excerpt)

With the Senators' sick bay filling up, callup centre Peter Regin will make his NHL debut tonight, becoming the fifth Danish player to make it to the big time.

Regin, recalled from Binghamton of the American Hockey League, will play on a line with Nick Foligno and Mike Fisher when the Senators host the Washington Capitals (7:30 p.m.).

The Senators will be without winger Chris Neil tonight (flu), winger Shean Donovan (lower body injury suffered in the skills competition when he crashed into the boards) and defenceman Anton Volchenkov (upper body).

Centre Jason Spezza, who left practice yesterday when his back tightened up, is expected to play, as is defenceman Jason Smith (lower body).

D Christoph Schubert will move up front on a line with Jarkko Ruutu and Dean McAmmond, while Brendan Bell, a healthy scratch for three games, will go back on the blue line.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

They have cap room, but it is not at all clear that it is available. Several teams operate on a budget that sets a ceiling below the cap. Columbus may well be one of them.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Boudreau and Nylander need to negotiate a liveable peace. He's here until he's bought out after next season. I just can't see a viable alternative to keeping him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Boudreau and Nylander need to negotiate a liveable peace. He's here until he's bought out after next season. I just can't see a viable alternative to keeping him.
What would that liveable peace be?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Per this article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...87466-sun.html

(excerpt)

With the Senators' sick bay filling up, callup centre Peter Regin will make his NHL debut tonight, becoming the fifth Danish player to make it to the big time.

Regin, recalled from Binghamton of the American Hockey League, will play on a line with Nick Foligno and Mike Fisher when the Senators host the Washington Capitals (7:30 p.m.).

The Senators will be without winger Chris Neil tonight (flu), winger Shean Donovan (lower body injury suffered in the skills competition when he crashed into the boards) and defenceman Anton Volchenkov (upper body).

Centre Jason Spezza, who left practice yesterday when his back tightened up, is expected to play, as is defenceman Jason Smith (lower body).

D Christoph Schubert will move up front on a line with Jarkko Ruutu and Dean McAmmond, while Brendan Bell, a healthy scratch for three games, will go back on the blue line.

Hope the Caps play harder then yesterday.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
What would that liveable peace be?
get a 10 game goal scoring streak and ill move you somewhere you can get 20+ minutes.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
get a 10 game goal scoring streak and ill move you somewhere you can get 20+ minutes.
I'd accept points...goals isn't his thing

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
BamaCapsFan

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=594447&page=17

Someone go eliminate Tampa Bay

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
It's already "blown up" as much as it will.

Nylander's production and effort are not there and haven't been since pre-season.

I believe the trade rumors/botched deal happened in Oct./Nov.
I dont see him dogging it at all so im not sure what you mean by "effort"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Whopper88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
Done

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
I am not a big fan of buying him or anyone out. Losing 1.34 million in cap space over the next 4 years isn't any better than paying 4.875 for a 3rd line center for the next 2.

Maybe we will get lucky and he will get a deal from a Russian team or something. Didn't Jersey do that with someone this past summer? Demote him down to the AHL and then not complain when he decided to go play in Europe?

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I am not a big fan of buying him or anyone out. Losing 1.34 million in cap space over the next 4 years isn't any better than paying 4.875 for a 3rd line center for the next 2.

Maybe we will get lucky and he will get a deal from a Russian team or something. Didn't Jersey do that with someone this past summer? Demote him down to the AHL and then not complain when he decided to go play in Europe?
If Nylander's bought out after next season, his cap hit would be $1.0 million for 2 years.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Done
haha i went over to check out the thread and 7 other known capital board posters were already there

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:

When you buy out a player I believe it's 2/3 of their salary becomes a cap hit over the next 2 seasons. I think the hit is for 2 seasons regardless of the length of thier contract remaining.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Come July 1, 2009, teams will have substantial payroll room again to assemble their teams for next season. If McPhee is inclined, it may be possible at that point to shed the salary in trade, particularly if he is not especially concerned with the return. It becomes almost impossible again in October, when teams have assembled their rosters and used up their cap space.

Barring a trade, though, I expect him in DC all next season. Summer 2010, with a single year left on the deal at a reduced rate, a buyout becomes a lot more likely. At that point, it's 2/3 of some hybrid of the cap number ($4.875M) and the amount of actual salary remaining ($3M) on the deal, and it's fairly complex to arrive at that number. The team has the option either to take the hit all at once, or to spread that 2/3 over two years (1/3 each year).

That becomes far easier to absorb than four years were he to be bought out this summer.

Old
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
If Nylander's bought out after next season, his cap hit would be $1.0 million for 2 years.
This is not correct. He has 2 years left on his 4 year deal. He will make 5.5 next season and 3 million the next. Buying him out would cost 5.67 million and would be spread out over the next 4 years at about 1.42 per.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
broad

Quote:
This is not correct. He has 2 years left on his 4 year deal. He will make 5.5 next season and 3 million the next. Buying him out would cost 5.67 million and would be spread out over the next 4 years at about 1.42 per.
He would only have one year left after next season, would he not?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote