HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

01/20/09 Washington Capitals at Ottawa Senators. Scotiabank Place. 7:30 PM

Old
01-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Come July 1, 2009, teams will have substantial payroll room again to assemble their teams for next season. If McPhee is inclined, it may be possible at that point to shed the salary in trade, particularly if he is not especially concerned with the return. It becomes almost impossible again in October, when teams have assembled their rosters and used up their cap space.

Barring a trade, though, I expect him in DC all next season. Summer 2010, with a single year left on the deal at a reduced rate, a buyout becomes a lot more likely. At that point, it's 2/3 of some hybrid of the cap number ($4.875M) and the amount of actual salary remaining ($3M) on the deal, and it's fairly complex to arrive at that number. The team has the option either to take the hit all at once, or to spread that 2/3 over two years (1/3 each year).

That becomes far easier to absorb than four years were he to be bought out this summer.
I think our only hope of getting rid of Nylander is to find a team that is rebuilding and has cap space they are willing to spend. That way we can move Nylander and a prospect in a package for another player with a salary.

For example, Nylander and Shultz to Toronto for Kubina. Not saying that will happen, just an example of what I am talking about.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleysHandMotions View Post
He would only have one year left after next season, would he not?
I thought you were talking about buying him out this offseason. My bad.

Old
01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
broad

The way I see it, next season won't be problematic. Fedorov and Kozlov come off the books and are expendable, in my opinion. The season after that, when Backstrom, Semin and Fleischmann need raises is when Nylander's cap hit might be a concern.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
He would only have one year left after next season, would he not?
Correct. 1 year @ $3.0 million. 2/3 of that is $2.0 million, which, spread out over two years is a cap hit of $1.0 million.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
The way I see it, next season won't be problematic. Fedorov and Kozlov come off the books and are expendable, in my opinion. The season after that, when Backstrom, Semin and Fleischmann need raises is when Nylander's cap hit might be a concern.
True, but don't forget that's when Theo's contract comes off.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Thats true, however we will have the problem of Nylander not finding chemistry with anyone. Even if Fedorov and Kozlov go, I would still love to see Nylander get moved.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
The Ghoul

Caps 6-2 over the Sens!

The Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Thats true, however we will have the problem of Nylander not finding chemistry with anyone. Even if Fedorov and Kozlov go, I would still love to see Nylander get moved.
I'm not impressed by Nylander's play, but who do you suggest becomes our second line center?

Fedorov is skating on glass ankles, Kozlov is a black hole as a center, Laich doesn't have enough offensive touch, Bourque may not be ready, Gustaffsson is having injury problems. I can't think of a person who is capable of centering the second line competently for the entire season. Laich can be the second line center for spans, but I don't think he has it in him to do it for the entire season. That's the only reason I want Nylander to stay for one more season.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I'm not impressed by Nylander's play, but who do you suggest becomes our second line center?

Fedorov is skating on glass ankles, Kozlov is a black hole as a center, Laich doesn't have enough offensive touch, Bourque may not be ready, Gustaffsson is having injury problems. I can't think of a person who is capable of centering the second line competently for the entire season. Laich can be the second line center for spans, but I don't think he has it in him to do it for the entire season. That's the only reason I want Nylander to stay for one more season.
Laich can handle it.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Laich can handle it.
I agree, I would love to see Laich have a bigger role on this team. Put him at center with two skilled wingers and I think you would have an excellent 2nd line.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Laich can handle it.
And if you don't trust him you try to sign someone else to short term deal. Maybe you get BB to try and convince Squid-man to come here...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Laich can handle it.
I don't see how he could be worse than Nylander at this point. Numbers don't tell the whole story, but Nylander's on a pace for under 40 points this year, and has been an on-and-off healthy scratch. For a guy with his talent, he's having a poor season, especially considering his contract (GMGM's mistake, not Nylander's).

It's clear that he wants out, and management wants him out. They are prepared to live life without Nylander as a 2nd line center.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
I agree, I would love to see Laich have a bigger role on this team. Put him at center with two skilled wingers and I think you would have an excellent 2nd line.
Behind SOB, I think a Bourque - Laich - Flash line could end up being surprisingly effective as a second line. Or, if we're looking for more balance, flip Semin and Flash. That leaves you with Giroux/Osala - Gordo - Clark/Fehr as a 3rd line and Brash - Steckel - Brads as the 4th line. And that's with zero additions and only a couple re-signings of cheap guys. We could then go out and sign some higher priced veterans to 1-year deals and be in really decent shape for re-signing Backstrom and Semin.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

If anyone has a link to an online stream...much obliged if it could be posted.

Edit: Nevermind...got it.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
broad

atdhe.net

They steam ever football, basketball, hockey game you can imagine. I even saw handball championships or something a while ago. Great bitrate too.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:

Didn't Fedorov say this was his first ankle problem of his entire career? His ankle's aren't like Forsberg's.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

Didn't Fedorov say this was his first ankle problem of his entire career? His ankle's aren't like Forsberg's.
I must have missed that. Still, wasn't he out 3 seperate times because of his ankle?

Old
01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
CapNdetroit

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-2.php?i=686

Vacation starts tomorrow...not tonight!
4-2 Caps!

CapNdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
LifeIsLoud

It should also be here: http://www.justin.tv/sportsfan88888

LifeIsLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I must have missed that. Still, wasn't he out 3 seperate times because of his ankle?
Yep, but that doesn't mean he has bad ankle's. It just means it wasn't 100% yet. Ankle sprain are really tricky, and it was Feds first ankle injury so he didn't know if it was completley ready yet.

Just ****ing win.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Laich is fine at center but I'd want a 2nd right hander for better faceoff balance if we are moving Nylander. Our organizational center depth seems lacking.

Nyls and Feds will be gone before too long. That leaves Backis Gus and Laich, who may be better at wing.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
I think our only hope of getting rid of Nylander is to find a team that is rebuilding and has cap space they are willing to spend. That way we can move Nylander and a prospect in a package for another player with a salary.

For example, Nylander and Shultz to Toronto for Kubina. Not saying that will happen, just an example of what I am talking about.
The idea that I like is a Columbus team that probably falls short this year, lacking a veteran top-six pivot, looks to reach the next level for next season. I think Nylander could look attractive to Howson.

Really, Nylander is simply buried and a poor fit for the Caps' system. In Hitchcock's deliberate system, and without a lot of centers above him, Nylander could thrive. Nylander and Brassard down the middle, Filatov, Voracek, Huselius, Nash and Modin on the wings.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
amjay13

Rotten penalty call on Brash.

Theo looking sharp.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Correct. 1 year @ $3.0 million. 2/3 of that is $2.0 million, which, spread out over two years is a cap hit of $1.0 million.
I don't believe it is that simple. I think the overall cap hit is still a factor in determining the buyout figure. I think it would work out to more than $1M each year for the final season buyout.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Dive.