HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will Ales Hemsky become a superstar?

Old
01-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
So is Marian Gaborik a superstar (excluding the injury factor)?
You can't just simply exclude the injury factor though.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

It depends how you define superstars. IMO there are only about a half dozen in the league. Ovechkin, Malkin, Thornton, Crosby, etc...

So no to superstar but yes to an elite player.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Devil Dancer

Definitely not a superstar, but there are plenty of awesome, non-superstar players out there.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:12 AM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
You can't just simply exclude the injury factor though.
When he is healthy is he a superstar?

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:25 AM
lefty2time*

imo he will hover around ppg his entire career....He will have a career similar to D.Sedin..probably crack 35goals a few times.....but remain mostly a ppg player. (they play very diff styles..im talking bout impact)

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:26 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Hemsky is already a superstar, although some people don't know it yet...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
When he is healthy is he a superstar?
Nope, maybe if he actually stayed healthy he could become one but he is definitely a notch below the true superstars in the league ala Brodeur, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Lidstrom.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:37 AM
DG

Gaborik is my favourite example of someone being overrated based on 253 hypotheticals - "if he didn't play for the Wild, and he didn't get injured so often, and he didn't have poor linemates, and he got along better with his coach, and if it wasn't so cold in Minnesota and bla bla bla..."

Results are all that matters and neither Hemsky or Gaborik are superstars on that basis until they show otherwise.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
What is your definition of a Superstar?

At the moment, he's got the second best PPG percentage among all RW'ers in the league. He's 11th in scoring among RW'ers despite having played 10 games less then those ahead and behind him. He's spent most of the year at a pace to push 90 points.

Is he injury proned? No. His little bang-ups are all unrelated. He doesn't have a Gaborik-esk recurring injury. He gets run a lot. Whether it's Lapointe kneeing him or Tootoo concussing him, or Regehr trying to concuss him. That's what he's prone to.

It all depends on what your definition of a Superstar is. If you're only looking at the Crosby's and Ovechkin's, then no. But the Hossa's of the league?

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:52 AM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

At the moment, he's got the second best PPG percentage among all RW'ers in the league. He's 11th in scoring among RW'ers despite having played 10 games less then those ahead and behind him. He's spent most of the year at a pace to push 90 points.

Is he injury proned? No. His little bang-ups are all unrelated. He doesn't have a Gaborik-esk recurring injury. He gets run a lot. Whether it's Lapointe kneeing him or Tootoo concussing him, or Regehr trying to concuss him. That's what he's prone to.

It all depends on what your definition of a Superstar is. If you're only looking at the Crosby's and Ovechkin's, then no. But the Hossa's of the league?
Sure.....the Hossa's of the league.

I puked in my mouth when I said that name.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:

What about the Hossas in the league? Hemsky isn't on that level either.

Old
01-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Really? Hemsky has a better PPG average this season on a team that has scored considerably fewer goals.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynegetic Dawg View Post
Really? Hemsky has a better PPG average this season on a team that has scored considerably fewer goals.
So because Hemsky has a better PPG average that puts him on the same level as a guy who has been a far more outstanding player than Hemsky for year after year while also being one of the better all around forwards in the league. Let me know when Hemsky actually has a ppg season Hossa has done it four times, has put up a 100 point season (on the Thrashers at that) and is much better all around game than Hemsky.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:17 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
What about the Hossas in the league? Hemsky is on that level!

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
Guy who has never had a ppg season and a career high 20 goals goes 35 games at only just above a ppg and suddenly he is as good as a guy who has put up 100 points.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:27 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
A superstar, to me, is a guy who people say "oh, hey, _______ is coming to town, I want to go to the game!" Gretzky, Lemieux, Bure, Lindros for a time, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc etc etc. Those types of players that the fans take note every time they're on the ice, and that create big frenzies and fanfare. Hemsky is a very good player, but he's not on that level.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:28 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
At what? Being from a former Czechoslovakian nation?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
At what? Being from a former Czechoslovakian nation?
Lol this got me laughing quite good tbh.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:46 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
So because Hemsky has a better PPG average that puts him on the same level as a guy who has been a far more outstanding player than Hemsky for year after year while also being one of the better all around forwards in the league. Let me know when Hemsky actually has a ppg season Hossa has done it four times, has put up a 100 point season (on the Thrashers at that) and is much better all around game than Hemsky.
Hossa wasn't an elite defensive forward at 25 years old, I suppose that's the big difference. And while I do think Hossa's defensive game puts him ahead of Hemsky, Ales hasn't been a liability for years. He can cover his own cheque.

As for their offense - this is the second year in a row Ales has scored more per game then Hossa. He played 2 more games last year and scored 8 more points. He's played 10 fewer games at above a PPG pace and scored 8 fewer points. Hemsky has been the best offensive forward on his team for 4 years now. Hossa has arguably never been in his career.

Should Hemsky finish the season with 80 points in the 75 games he's currently able to play, in the Western conference no less, I see no reason not to count him among the Hossa, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis level stars in the league.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:53 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Guy who has never had a ppg season and a career high 20 goals goes 35 games at only just above a ppg and suddenly he is as good as a guy who has put up 100 points.
I was sort of mocking your definitive responses.

It was a bad joke, carry on!

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Hossa wasn't an elite defensive forward at 25 years old, I suppose that's the big difference. And while I do think Hossa's defensive game puts him ahead of Hemsky, Ales hasn't been a liability for years. He can cover his own cheque.

As for their offense - this is the second year in a row Ales has scored more per game then Hossa. He played 2 more games last year and scored 8 more points. He's played 10 fewer games at above a PPG pace and scored 8 fewer points. Hemsky has been the best offensive forward on his team for 4 years now. Hossa has arguably never been in his career.

Should Hemsky finish the season with 80 points in the 75 games he's currently able to play, in the Western conference no less, I see no reason not to count him among the Hossa, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis level stars in the league.
Granted on Hemsky not being a liability, wasn't trying to suggest he was a liability in any way just that in comparison to Hossa he isn't up there in terms of all around play but hey what star forward is. Hossa we are talking a guy who has had numerous great seasons, not just good seasons, four seasons of 80+ or more, Hemsky has zero, one in the 90s one at 100. To me Hemsky needs to do a hell of a lot more before he deserves to be mentioned with Hossa. Hossa has been better this season as well, regardless of whether or not his ppg is slightly less, 45 points in 45 games is more impressive to me than 37 in 35.

I don't get this argument that people make about such and such has been the best offensive forward on his team and this other guy never has been as if that means anything. At present Crosby isn't the best offensive forward on his team, does that really mean anything? Zetterberg isn't the best offensive forward on his team, if Hemsky had been on the Thrashers he wouldn't have been the best offensive forward there. Look at the names your placing him with if he puts up 80 points you think he is worthy of being named with guys who have put up 100? one of which was a league MVP. IF Hemsky goes on and gets 80 points this season AND goes on the next couple of seasons continuing to improve on that total, then maybe he can be worthy of being put on the level of a St Louis or Hossa.

Old
01-20-2009, 04:25 AM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Granted on Hemsky not being a liability, wasn't trying to suggest he was a liability in any way just that in comparison to Hossa he isn't up there in terms of all around play but hey what star forward is. Hossa we are talking a guy who has had numerous great seasons, not just good seasons, four seasons of 80+ or more, Hemsky has zero, one in the 90s one at 100. To me Hemsky needs to do a hell of a lot more before he deserves to be mentioned with Hossa. Hossa has been better this season as well, regardless of whether or not his ppg is slightly less, 45 points in 45 games is more impressive to me than 37 in 35.

I don't get this argument that people make about such and such has been the best offensive forward on his team and this other guy never has been as if that means anything. At present Crosby isn't the best offensive forward on his team, does that really mean anything? Zetterberg isn't the best offensive forward on his team, if Hemsky had been on the Thrashers he wouldn't have been the best offensive forward there. Look at the names your placing him with if he puts up 80 points you think he is worthy of being named with guys who have put up 100? one of which was a league MVP. IF Hemsky goes on and gets 80 points this season AND goes on the next couple of seasons continuing to improve on that total, then maybe he can be worthy of being put on the level of a St Louis or Hossa.
Wow, you truly are one of the most enigmatic posters on here. On the last thread, i said that Ryan Getzlaf's overall game in 06-07 is greater than Hemsky's right now, and you play it against me......now you are commenting on how defense and two-way play is a very important aspect as well.

Old
01-20-2009, 04:29 AM
hockeysense*

He's incredibly fun to play with on NHL 09.
He's also a very under-rated player that would do better with offensively mature line-mates.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
My classification of Franchise player.

Franchise player: Someone who can carry the team on their back and win many games all by themselves. 10 forwards (Ovechkin,Malkin,Crosby,Iginla,Thornton,Lecavalier ,Kovalchuk,Zetterberg,Heatley,
Datsyuk) 5 Defenseman (Lidstrom,Pronger,Chara,Niedermayer, Zubov) 3 Goalies(Luongo,Brodeur,Lundqvist)

A superstar is just below that level. A Forward who can score 80-90 Points. A defenseman who can get Top nominations for the Norris Trophy, a Goalie who really stands out in the league but is not part of the best.
Nah. Superstar is above that. That is reserved for players who are the elite of the elite. Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque etc.

A franchise player is a player that a franchise builds or can build around. There are a lot of those guys, though some better than others.

Hemsky is the Oilers franchise player right now, which is the main reason why they continue to struggle to make the playoffs.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Wow, you truly are one of the most enigmatic posters on here. On the last thread, i said that Ryan Getzlaf's overall game in 06-07 is greater than Hemsky's right now, and you play it against me......now you are commenting on how defense and two-way play is a very important aspect as well.
Lol no you tried to claim that Getzlaf in his sophomore year with 15 minutes of ice time a game turned Penner into a 29 goal scorer, and that was your excuse for why Hemsky could not boost Penner past that because supposedly Penner doesn't have the natural talent to pot 30 and Getzlaf made him into a 29 goal scorer who you said was better than Hemsky by a "wide margin" you basically discussed Getzlaf from that year as if he was the monster that is playing on the Ducks today which obviously isn't the case.

You must be heading to ignore soon if you keep raising these silly all over the show points that you continue to make, also this little most just came across as you being a whiny kid tbh.

Also I like Hemsky and this is one of those crap situations where players you like keep getting compared to players who you think are much better so you speak of how you prefer the other guy and end up sounding like your bashing somebody you like. I love watching Hemsky but he doesn't deserve to be rated with Spezza, St Louis, Staal, Hossa until he has the achievements they have to back it up. Half a season at a ppg does not make you on the same level as guys who have had 90-100 point seasons and playoff success. Hemsky has the talent of some of these guys but so does Zherdev. I don't see anyone coming out suggesting Zherdev deserves mentioning with the likes of Spezza or Hossa just yet.