HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will Ales Hemsky become a superstar?

Old
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Luigi Lemieux

vCash: 500
star, not a superstar. the term 'super' star kind of implies that the player is a star among stars. think crosby, malkin, ovechkin, brodeur, luongo, chara, lidstrom, thornton, datsyuk, iginla. you can't really have too many or it diminishes the term. i'd say there's about 10-12 superstars in the whole league.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
oilersfan87

He is really good I would classifie him for as an All-Star.

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
People tried to say Hemsky is on Hossa's level. Please.

Spezza is a much better player than Hemsky ever will be, one bad year for Spezza made people forget how dominant he is.

Get real.
Wow, you are extremely stupid if you couldn't comprehend my question (which I hope you are not).

I asked if you thought Spezza is a better defensive player than Hemsky, which I can personally assure you he is not.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Myshkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
Wow, you are extremely stupid if you couldn't comprehend my question (which I hope you are not).

I asked if you thought Spezza is a better defensive player than Hemsky, which I can personally assure you he is not.
I've never seen any indication that Hemsky is better defensively, they both don't fit into their teams defensive schemes, neither plays on the PK.

I don't know what you are basing this off other than personal bias.

Myshkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
capebretoncanadien

No....not Crosby...Ovechkin etc. calibre anyway...still a very nice player though.

capebretoncanadien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Pronger was the franchise player that year. Hemsky has taken them nowhere as the franchise player.

Pronger is a winner. He wins pretty much everywhere he goes.
Yeah, St.Louis sure was lights out with Pronger. But let's forget those 10 years. We can just say everywhere is...Anaheim?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:03 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Simple question, yes or no. I don't feel I have to elaborate. All things considered.
Not a superstar and never will be.He's reserved for star status.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Never.

Superstars: Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby (When he's on his game. Lately, not even close to this)

First tier forwards: Kovalchuk, Gaborik (Healthy), Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Thornton, Iginla, a couple others

Second tier forwards: Staal, Alfredsson, Spezza, Marleau, Parise, Savard, others

Third tier forwards: Hemsky, Sedins, Koivu, St. Louis, Cammalleri, others

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:

If Hemsky's so great defensively, why doesn't he kill penalties? And why's he only been a + player once in his entire career?

I mean, Malkin kills penalties. So do Ovechkin, Alfredsson, Carter, Marleau, Stastny, Gagne, Zetterberg, etc. Is Hemsky too good for the PK?

Hell, Hemsky gets less PK time than Spezza, and Spezza only gets 11 seconds a game. He sure sounds like a stud in his own end...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Never.

Superstars: Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby (When he's on his game. Lately, not even close to this)

First tier forwards: Kovalchuk, Gaborik (Healthy), Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Thornton, Iginla, a couple others

Second tier forwards: Staal, Alfredsson, Spezza, Marleau, Parise, Savard, *inserts Heatley*

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
If Hemsky's so great defensively, why doesn't he kill penalties? And why's he only been a + player once in his entire career?

I mean, Malkin kills penalties. So do Ovechkin, Alfredsson, Carter, Marleau, Stastny, Gagne, Zetterberg, etc. Is Hemsky too good for the PK?

Hell, Hemsky gets less PK time than Spezza, and Spezza only gets 11 seconds a game. He sure sounds like a stud in his own end...
He's not coughing up the puck in the neutral zone every other play. He has actually learned to backcheck very well using his speed, and he can cover his check on the trailer. He doesn't just coast around anymore, he has improved by quite a bit defensively.

Spezza is one of the laziest players in the league from what I see.

And what does +/- guage other than the performance of your team/ linemates? The Oilers as a team have been bottom 5 in the league defensively for the past three seasons. Please tell me a season where Spezza didn't play with two other superstars on his wing, and on an elite squad.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
He's not coughing up the puck in the neutral zone every other play. He has actually learned to backcheck very well using his speed, and he can cover his check on the trailer. He doesn't just coast around anymore, he has improved by quite a bit defensively.
Wow, you just described Spezza.

...Other than the giveaway part, which still happens from time to time.

Still, the fact that you basically described Spezza while describing Hemsky, then bashing Spezza right after gives you no credibility.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
serge2k

Hemsky is the new havlat, point per game player but he's somehow much better than every other ppg player in the league.

Guess flashy plays count double.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Never.

Second tier forwards: Staal, Alfredsson, Spezza, Marleau, Parise, Savard, others

how many tiers do you have?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Klaus*

2 goals and 2 assists for Hemsky tonight.

Incredible.. this guy is SICK!

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:27 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Lecavalier
Heatley
Iginla
Thorton
Maybe Semin in a few years
Maybe Getslaf in a few years
Maybe Richards in a few years
Maybe Gagne if he can stay healthy
Maybe Backstrom if he continues to improve
Maybe Toews if he continues to improve
In terms of forwards those are the only players in the NHL whom I consider to be superstars.

At least 1/2 of those maybes are probably nots.

Hemsky is great, but he hasn't shown us that he's a superstar. He's damn good and damn fun to watch, though.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Lecavalier
Heatley
Iginla
Thorton
In terms of forwards those are the only players in the NHL whom I consider to be superstars.

Hemsky is great, but he hasn't shown us that he's a superstar. He's damn good and damn fun to watch, though.
Check out the bolded and see their point progression....... Looks like Hemskys curve

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
BisonFlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Lecavalier
Heatley
Iginla
Thorton

No Datsuyk in there. Failure and game over.

BisonFlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Check out the bolded and see their point progression....... Looks like Hemskys curve
Yeah, I think they're ignoring that, too.

Datsyuk, Iginla, Lecavalier, Jokinen and countless others throughout history have historically taken 4-5 years to have a breakout season. Ales Hemsky follows the Datsyuk/Lecavalier curve almost to a tee: A few seasons of just sub PPG level hockey with huge flashes and a breakout season in their 5th or 6th year in their mid-20's.

Whether Hemsky sustains is another thing - but he's been over a PPG all year long and largely without the forward support one would need to be inflated.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

By definition, a superstar is:

a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.someone who is popular and well known, and excells in their field.

Its fairly vague and subjective, but Hemsky is definately not a superstar right now.

Can Hemsky become a superstar? He's got a ton of skill, but he'll need several 100+ point seasons and some allstar games under his belt to be considered. He's got a chance IMO. Right now I would put him in the "star" catagory, along with about 20 or so other players.

Crosby and Ovechkin are generational type talents. Crosby was a superstar before he even set foot on NHL ice. Guys like Iginla, Thornton, Lecavalier, Malkin, Heatley, Kovalchuk and arguably a few others have earned that recognition.

Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Myshkin*

Quote:
Yeah, I think they're ignoring that, too.

Datsyuk, Iginla, Lecavalier, Jokinen and countless others throughout history have historically taken 4-5 years to have a breakout season. Ales Hemsky follows the Datsyuk/Lecavalier curve almost to a tee: A few seasons of just sub PPG level hockey with huge flashes and a breakout season in their 5th or 6th year in their mid-20's.

Whether Hemsky sustains is another thing - but he's been over a PPG all year long and largely without the forward support one would need to be inflated.
Hardly follows Datsyuk's curve. Datsyuk jumped by 16 points in his second year, then broke out, and actually hasn't ever had a season where he gets less points than the previous. He has progressed every single year!

But Hemsky is on Iginla's prpgression curve, therefor, he's gong to turn out exactly like Iginla.

Myshkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
qwerty

I think Hemsky has the skill set and will have the stats to be a superstar one day. But I'm just not sure he'll ever be considered a league wide "superstar" IMO. He seems to be missing that x-factor similar to guys like Savard and St. Louis. But hey, on the ice, Hemsky will do the things that a superstar does and that's all that matters. As a Flames fan, I am very envious of the Oilers' Hemsky and Cogliano; especially because the Flames' were 1 pick away from these guys.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
qwerty

Quote:
Never.

Good list, I agree with virtually everything. I would like to see Getzlaf, Heatley, Kane, Nash, Sakic, Carter, Richards and Vanek added to this list though.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I think Hemsky has the skill set and will have the stats to be a superstar one day. But I'm just not sure he'll ever be considered a league wide "superstar" IMO. He seems to be missing that x-factor similar to guys like Savard and St. Louis. But hey, on the ice, Hemsky will do the things that a superstar does and that's all that matters. As a Flames fan, I am very envious of the Oilers' Hemsky and Cogliano; especially because the Flames' were 1 pick away from these guys.
As we are envious of Iginla and Phaneuf, as they are both Edmontonians.

Old
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Not a superstar and never will be.He's reserved for star status.
That's a slightly audacious statement considering he's 25 and he's experienced fairly consistent growth in his PPG/season

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote