HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

hockey rash

Old
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
UserName

vCash: 500
hockey rash

does any one get hockey rash from equiptment and sweat rubbing against your skin??

any cures??

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
No, but then again I wash my gear after every 2 games/practices and I don't allow my gear to touch any skin.

01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I wear an UnderArmour shirt and light long johns underneath as a layer between my skin and padding. Never had a problem.

Also easier to keep them clean as I launder them between games, so less chance of catching a skin infection.

You don't need a brand name UA shirt. Others here have talked about less expensive no name stuff stuff that does the job for cheaper. But I still love my UA shirt.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
DevsFan84

Yeah, I've had it.

I don't think mine was caused by rubbing. In fact, I don't even want to think about what caused the rashes. But, I know how I fixed it. After I play, spray a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water on my gear. Then it goes right in the shock doctor bag to dry, or outside when it is warm. No rashes since...

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:12 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Bacteria is what's causing it. Staph is a good bet.

Alcohol spray, and then keep it dry. Dry it after every game. And an undershirt. Reebok stuff isn't too expensive, I recommend a compression shirt. Short or long sleeve, both work.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Right after you play, spray it all with lysol. Then let it air dry for 48 hours. If necessary, get two sets of equipment.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Right after you play, spray it all with lysol. Then let it air dry for 48 hours. If necessary, get two sets of equipment.
Or a shock doctor bag, which is much cheaper. Or if you're too cheap for that, a box fan does wonders as well.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
qwertysac

i also wear underarmour under my gear. I accidentally left it at home once and got a rash from my shoulder pads. Made sure to never forget it again after that.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:57 AM
UserName

thanks for the responses guys.

I wear long sleeve underarmour shirt and long underarmor pants and my equipment doesn't touch my skin. I air out my gear after every game (very anal about that) and it doesn't stink at all (don't use any anti-bacterial spray).

I appears the rashes are appearing on spots where there is alot of rubbing contact.

inside of calves, inside of knee, left elbow (i shoot right, so i move that elbow quite alot more compared to my right elbow) and my mid back where the shoulder pads end and the pants begin.

i'm suspecting that it's just my skin getting irriated by the sweat and rubbing.

seeing a doctor tomorrow, gonna see how that goes.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:07 AM
RKD

I used to get eczema all the time on my legs. I tried everything from wearing tight pants underneath my shinpads to applying a cream before I stepped on the ice. Generally the only way I could cure it was to have clean equipment for each ice time, but that wasn't possible (other than home cleaning techniques/products). I used to just apply an eczema cream afterward and I was fine.

Funny, now that I'm older I haven't experienced it at all; just when I was in my early teens.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:12 AM
qwertysac

OK, in that case, another thing that could be causing the irritation is the detergent youre using for your wash. Maybe your skin is having a reaction to that. Someone on my hockey team put way too much detergent thinking it would help with the smell and he ended up getting a rash.

i know, common sense, but you never know lol.

Also, sometimes the stitching inside of some underarmour isn't too well made and it's "ruff" so it acts like sandpaper on skin when theres rubbing and that could be the cause of the irritation too.

It's a long shot, but hey, im trying

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:16 AM
DevsFan84

Another thing I forgot....

I used to to have horrible itching on my my back and arms after I played. I bought a new UA knockoff shirt, and was fine. Then I washed it and had the same problem.

Turns out it was the detergent. I got some scent/dye free stuff and the itching stopped. It doesn't smell like morning dew anymore, but hey...sometimes you have to make sacrifices in life.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah, a change in detergents might be in order. The only other thing I would check would be if your equipment is tight enough. If it's tight it'll rub around a lot less, and cause less friction. If that's a problem, tighten it or buy something a size down.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
EmptyNetter

Why does polyester laundry (jersey, undershirt, sock liner, etc) smell so much funkier than cotton laundry? Would spraying it with alcohol help that? I've tried double washing and I've tried hand washing but for most of those clothes they never seem to get "April fresh".

(serious question, please ignore the cheeky delivery)

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Gino 14

for the rash itself, hydrocortisone is probably your best option, but the scent free detergent is probably a good thing to go with also.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
xstartxtodayx

There has been some good advice so far so I'll just add my 2 cents...

first, dry skin is more irritable than healthy moisturized skin. I'm covered in tattoo's and a bit OCD when it comes to caring for my skin since I've spent thousands of dollars on them ( tattoo's will only look as good as your skin and not taking care of your skin means the tattoo's will look like crap in just a couple years... that's why sunblock is my best friend). Try applying some moisturizer to your arms/legs after your showers and/or switch soap to something more moisturizing (I like the Dove cucumber stuff b/c it's really good for sensitive skin).

second, the laundry detergent... Try Tide Free, it's free of perfumes and dyes and pretty hypo-allergenic. It works really well to get things clean and is really good when it comes to sensitive skin, there might be some other brands with similar detergents but that's the brand I stick to so I can't speak for the others.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
DevsFan84

I can't believe I'm talking about skin care products here, but the above poster is right. If you are getting those rashes, you should try all scent/dye free skin detergent, lotions, etc. Also, take showers that aren't as hot. That dries out your skin as well.

Now, if anyone can suggest a good brand of mascara, this thread will be complete.

Old
01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
raganblink

Spray your equipment with 3dgreen. When i bought my sticks from this guy in Iowa he sent me a bottle of this stuff. It kills all the bacteria and stink. Just not covering it, it really kills it.

3dgreen.net

He told me they use it on hog farms and if it works there on my skates and gloves, it will work on your stuff too.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll add another opinion.

The under armor stuff tends to hold smell...I don't know why. But if you wash it and put in a bit of OxyClean now and again, it helps get the smell out. I wash hockey stuff separately and skip the fabric softener because it can clog the pores in the under armor, which makes it less effective.

I also occasionally wash hockey gear in a tub with some detergent and a bit of OxyClean. Just soak it for a while, then drain and rinse VERY well. Don't want any of that stuff touching your skin. I will usually rinse a couple times to be safe.

Once my gear is clean, I either lay it out to dry and spray with 70% alcohol or dry it in my Shock Doctor bag (takes a couple cycles). Clean gear = less chance of bacteria = less smell and no rashes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
DO NOT DO THIS....lysol is not intended for direct contact with your skin. Neither is fabreeze or any of those types of products. Some may do this and see no acute results but who knows what chronic condition they might be setting themselves up for. Leaving the gear sit for any length of time does not mean that the chemical you sprayed on will be gone! You could end up in worse condition than you start. Keep in mind that these chemical leave behind residue. When you put the gear on and start to sweat, your pores open up and you can then absorb them into the body. 3dgreen contains a detergent. I am sot so sure that I would want this stuff all over my gear. Those chemical will be absorbed into the body and what effect it may have over a long time frame is any bodies guess.

Water/rubbing alcohol mixed works great if its bacterial. 3:1 part alcohol is sufficient but its cheap and does no harm if you go with a stronger solution. If the affected area is splotchy and spread over a large area it could be bacterial OR an allergic reaction to a cleaning agent(gear washed but not rinsed well?). Some get rashes from Fabreeze and Sanisport (Esporta-dry cleaning). Remember that over time, repeated exposure can cause a sensitivity. A first, second or third exposure to fabreeze might not cause a rash but a fourth could.

Because of the incident of some very nasty critters out there....SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP. What starts as a rash and going untreated for as short as 5-7 days can take your life.

Whats up with that CPTJEFF? in the other hockey injury post you rip the guy telling him to consult a doctor and here in this post its no big deal. Youth athletes are ending up DEAD from untreated rashes (MRSA)!

Last edited by MikeD: 01-20-2009 at 06:20 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
DevilsFan38

MikeD, question about spraying your equipment with the alcohol solution (I asked this in another thread, but you might have missed it) - for your gloves, do you spray on the outside and palms, or just inside? Just wondering if that would affect the palms at all.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
MikeD

I am a goalie just so you know what gear I am talking about. I spray the inside and outside of all my against the body gear. Gloves I just do inside, pads the back face. My chest/arm protector I soak all over cause I dont wear any shirt under it. Pants I soak inside and out as well as the jock. Inside the mask is just a light mist.

The rubbing alcohol will not harm any of your gear so it really doesnt matter but the important areas are where ever there is skin contact or where sweat is being soaked in. Initial spraying can be VERY heavy. maintaining is a moderate misting and hten let dry. I would guess that using a heavy mix as others do would help for the post game spraying where the gear is already wet with sweat.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
UserName

update!

went to the doctor, mild eczema (apparently a genetic condition, affects people with sensitive skin and allergies, i have both) prescribed "metaderm", can already see noticeable difference, redness, swelling and itchy-ness has gone down tremendously. Now i just have to not scratch it. :@:@:@:@

unfortunately, i have to lay off playing hockey while i let it heal. In the meantime, i'll try to weed out the possible cause. i'm suspecting my underarmour leggings and shirt combined with scented detergent and sweat.

thanks for the responses!

Old
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
One thing to try, don't use dryer sheets. They coat clothes with whatever it is that makes clothes smell good. It's an additional problem with UA and related clothing, as this can clog up the ability of the clothing to draw sweat/moisture away from your body.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I am a goalie just so you know what gear I am talking about. I spray the inside and outside of all my against the body gear. Gloves I just do inside, pads the back face. My chest/arm protector I soak all over cause I dont wear any shirt under it. Pants I soak inside and out as well as the jock. Inside the mask is just a light mist.

The rubbing alcohol will not harm any of your gear so it really doesnt matter but the important areas are where ever there is skin contact or where sweat is being soaked in. Initial spraying can be VERY heavy. maintaining is a moderate misting and hten let dry. I would guess that using a heavy mix as others do would help for the post game spraying where the gear is already wet with sweat.
Thanks! I'll avoid the palms, just in case.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote