HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2008-2009 NY Rangers: A team in Transition

Old
01-20-2009, 02:40 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pitkanen could have just as easily wound up being Petr Taticek and having the 11th overall in 2003 probably means Jessiman goes at #11 instead of #12.
First, we're talking 2002 draft here not 2003, so the Jessiman comment does not apply. That aside, you've missed the points of the post. They are:

1. Philly does not fall into the paradigm that sting36e laid out (teams losing big to get high picks that can then be converted to top talent).
2. These teams, though in very different places, were prioritizing entirely different things. Philly was prioritizing the future even when they were competitive whereas the Rangers were not. They were trading away youth assets for aging, damaged players like Bure and Lindros.

Quote:
There is nothing to say that having high draft picks guarantees you a high caliber player.
Indeed not which is part of my point. We also agree, however, that it maximizes one's chances.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm not sure exactly whose "side" you're taking with this post because you've chosen some odd examples. Pitkanen never panned out in Philly, and Bure was amazing as a Ranger, far better than any first round pick I remember them icing.
I'm not on any "side" here; I'm making the two observations contained in my post above.

As for my examples, you will read into them what you will. However you would like to characterize him though, Pitkanen had three productive seasons with the Flyers - including playoff appearances in two of those three - and then helped net them Lupul and Smith.

He then played one season in Edmonton and netted them Eric Cole in return.

How many games did Bure appear in for the Rangers? How many playoff appearances did he contribute to? What did he net in return?

The fact of the matter is that the Rangers yesterday got little from Bure, and the Rangers today would be better off had they traded their young assets to get Pitkanen as the Flyers did.

As for the numbers I promised earlier, the last time a team won a championship unequivocally NOT finishing in the top five was the '92 Penguins. So yeah. You have to finish top-five to win a championship.

Last edited by dedalus: 01-20-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old
01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
First, we're talking 2002 draft here not 2003, so the Jessiman comment does not apply. That aside, you've missed the points of the post. They are:
I actually understood exactly what you meant. Your post was simply a segue into the point that I was making. I figured that would be apparent given the fact that my next two statements had nothing to do with what you said.

Quote:
It was in this way he got the pick to take Carter and Pitkanen.
How exactly does Carter not pertain to 2003?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
How exactly does Carter not pertain to 2003?
D'oh! My mistake. I was already thinking in terms (because of synergy's post) ONLY of Pitkanen. (He doesn't mention Carter in his post.) I thought you'd shuffled the '02 pick with the '03.

In any case, I agree. Clarke completely outdrafted Sather and took Carter whereas Sather might well still have taken Jessiman at #11. Sad that Sather might just have easily taken Mike Richards in that slot and added the kid to our roster while eliminating him from the Flyers'.

So it goes with this team.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
D'oh! My mistake. I was already thinking in terms (because of synergy's post) ONLY of Pitkanen. (He doesn't mention Carter in his post.) I thought you'd shuffled the '02 pick with the '03.

In any case, I agree. Clarke completely outdrafted Sather and took Carter whereas Sather might well still have taken Jessiman at #11. Sad that Sather might just have easily taken Mike Richards in that slot and added the kid to our roster while eliminating him from the Flyers'.

Sad indeed! Good to know I was right about Carter being an '03 pick. I thought I was going nuts for a second.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:

Painful to look back. Can we put sather on waivers?