HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #48 - 01.20.09 | Anaheim @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Big win....good that the Ducks lost and my Yotes beat the Red Wings somehow..

by the way...the Coyotes are NOT SELLING AT THE DEADLINE!

so eklund's jovo rumors r crap!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Big win....good that the Ducks lost and my Yotes beat the Red Wings somehow..

by the way...the Coyotes are NOT SELLING AT THE DEADLINE!

so eklund's jovo rumors r crap!
Coyotes are playing some good hockey lately, I watched their game against Calgary and was really impressed. They looked much better than they did earlier in the season when they played us. Boedker's a stud, this team has a good future ahead of them.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
trilobyte

I really like the Coyotes too. I wish the whole city of Phoenix loved 'em too. Shane Doan, what a great Ranger he would be!

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:08 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
He did the same thing with the Wild last year. Shouldn't surprise anyone.
Can he bounce back?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

a win in regulation?

now thats change we can all believe in

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:47 AM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
a win in regulation?

now thats change we can all believe in
by more than one goal, too! regardless of whether or not the 4th was an empty netter

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:45 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Because he adds size
...in renney´s ***

BTW, Corey Perry is the leading coward in the NHL. not just this season...been for a while.

Go rangers.

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 03:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Good win. One of the team's better wins of the season. But we also caught some very lucky breaks. Granted, you can say it was New York's effort that created those breaks, too.

I know we had some success on the PP tonight, but when we didn't, we often couldn't even get set up in the zone. How many years is it going to take to get this fixed? How does Pearn continue to be employed?

Watching Voros play is hilarious. He reminds me of this tall, lanky doofus who was on my basketball team in middle school. The kid was one of the tallest kids in the league, but he didn't know what to do with himself, he moved awkwardly, and he basically did nothing much of the time. Please remove Voros from the lineup and the team.

Naslund's best game in weeks, and not just because of the goal. That goal was kind of a gift. It was his inspired play, especially in the offensive zone. I don't expect anything from him in the other two zones, but when he's ineffective offensively, he's a non-factor. Good to see him be more involved.

Mara is slowly getting even better. I thought he commanded the play very well when he was on the ice tonight. His confidence is growing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Good game. The PP was there, hence the offense. The D was strong. And Lundqvist, as usual, was great. Most importantly, a 60 minute effort. Well earned win.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Watching Voros play is hilarious. He reminds me of this tall, lanky doofus who was on my basketball team in middle school. The kid was one of the tallest kids in the league, but he didn't know what to do with himself, he moved awkwardly, and he basically did nothing much of the time. Please remove Voros from the lineup and the team.
I hate using buzzwords like this, but I don't think this guy has an ounce of core strength/stabilization. It's like none of his chains connect, and nothing coordinates at the same time. I'm surprised the guy hasn't thrown his back out by now or injured something else like hip, knee.

Voros needs Stamkos treatment; IE sit his ass and let him workout.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Prucha will still be in the pressbox when the All Star vacation is over.

Believe it.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:00 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

renney has created this mess with voros. like he did with prucha and dawes earlier and now again with korpedo and fritsche. the in and out or not playing for long stretches screws with these young guys and negates what little confidence they have. what do you expect from these players who play 2 games in 2 weeks?

voros has game. he does. his game is what the is team sorely needs. we have no down low presence at all. we have figure skaters and fancy passers. we need a dose of growl and grit near the crease. prucha does it but hes a shrimp. voros needs to play HIS game and thats screen the goalie, create chaos and score garbage. he belongs out there on EVERY POWERPLAY. period. he needs to set up and camp out and draw penalties and create havoc and screen goalies and keep doing it. hes not a skater, but he can skate. he can keep up. heck, he played with zherdev and dubinski to start the season and was LEADING the team in goals at the start of the year.

renney is messing him up. 2 of those calls last night were plain crap. he trying too hard, like prucha is and fritz and korpedo, trying to make something happen rather than let the game come to them. when you play hockey like that, you are going to make more mistakes and bad things just happen.

the worst thing renney could do is sit voros now. he needs to play and get some confidence back. heck they all need to play. i blame renney.

why not sit orr occasionally? why play him every friggin game? hes not gonna score. he cant skate. a good shift for him is dumping the puck out of the zone and not falling down, yet he plays every night? rotate some of these guys in his spot or freddys spot, someone needs to be sent down or moved. anything, but sitting these guys for long stretches is counterproductive to their development.

renney needs to do a better job of managing these young players who have talent and who are dying to contribute. instead, hes making them into mindless scrubs.

as for last nights game, i was really impressed again with staal. he seems to just get better every game. he makes little plays that matter. he wins battles. hes going to be an unbelievable player in a year or 2.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Voros took 3 penalties
Renney instructed him to be a a physical presence. You can't deny that he did what the coach asked of him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
renney has created this mess with voros. like he did with prucha and dawes earlier and now again with korpedo and fritsche. the in and out or not playing for long stretches screws with these young guys and negates what little confidence they have. what do you expect from these players who play 2 games in 2 weeks?
There is no mess with Voros and Renney didn't create it. The point about the other players is valid, because the other players have the potential to be NHL players. Voros does not, by and large through his own doing. The biggest reason Voros is not an NHL-regular is because he doesn't work hard enough. He didn't work hard enough in Minnesota and he doesn't work hard enough here.

Quote:
voros has game. he does. his game is what the is team sorely needs.
No, he has no game. That's why he's a 27 year-old who has yet to play a full season in the league. He's healthy scratch material.

Quote:
we have no down low presence at all. we have figure skaters and fancy passers. we need a dose of growl and grit near the crease.
Absolutely we need this. Unfortunately, on most nights, Voros either doesn't provide it at all, doesn't provide nearly enough of it, or simply does other things (like taking terrible penalties) that are a detriment to the team.

Quote:
voros needs to play HIS game and thats screen the goalie, create chaos and score garbage.
Voros went a long while until he got scratched, and during that long while it was painfully clear that he didn't decide to play "HIS" game very often. Certainly not often enough to deserve to continue playing.

Quote:
he belongs out there on EVERY POWERPLAY. period. he needs to set up and camp out and draw penalties and create havoc and screen goalies and keep doing it. hes not a skater, but he can skate. he can keep up. heck, he played with zherdev and dubinski to start the season and was LEADING the team in goals at the start of the year.
Borderline 4th liners who don't work hard enough don't deserve PP time. Where is Callahan on the PP? Where is Prucha on the PP? Those are the guys who should be getting PP time.

Quote:
the worst thing renney could do is sit voros now. he needs to play and get some confidence back. heck they all need to play. i blame renney.

why not sit orr occasionally? why play him every friggin game? hes not gonna score. he cant skate. a good shift for him is dumping the puck out of the zone and not falling down, yet he plays every night? rotate some of these guys in his spot or freddys spot, someone needs to be sent down or moved. anything, but sitting these guys for long stretches is counterproductive to their development.
I totally agree that Orr shouldn't be playing every night. But it isn't because Voros should be the one replacing him.

Quote:
renney needs to do a better job of managing these young players who have talent and who are dying to contribute. instead, hes making them into mindless scrubs.
Voros was a scrub before Renney and he'll be a scrub after Renney. He just isn't very good.

Quote:
as for last nights game, i was really impressed again with staal. he seems to just get better every game. he makes little plays that matter. he wins battles. hes going to be an unbelievable player in a year or 2.
Staal continues to be one of the best young defensemen in the league. There we agree.

Old
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
voros has game. he does. his game is what the is team sorely needs. we have no down low presence at all. we have figure skaters and fancy passers. we need a dose of growl and grit near the crease. prucha does it but hes a shrimp. voros needs to play HIS game and thats screen the goalie, create chaos and score garbage.
That's his game, but he only plays it effectively about once every ten games.

Quote:
he belongs out there on EVERY POWERPLAY. period. he needs to set up and camp out and draw penalties and create havoc and screen goalies and keep doing it.
I don't want to see a guy who can't pass and can barely shoot out on the PP. Drury and Prucha both do a good job around the net. They don't have the size, but their hands are a thousand times better, which is more important.

Quote:
hes not a skater, but he can skate. he can keep up. heck, he played with zherdev and dubinski to start the season and was LEADING the team in goals at the start of the year.
And Dubi was leading the league in points at that time, too. For some reason that line was clicking at a ridiculous rate in those first 5 games. No chance Voros ever comes close to that level of production ever again.

Quote:
renney is messing him up. 2 of those calls last night were plain crap. he trying too hard, like prucha is and fritz and korpedo, trying to make something happen rather than let the game come to them. when you play hockey like that, you are going to make more mistakes and bad things just happen.
I haven't seen any of them take 3 penalties in a game, at terrible times.

Quote:
why not sit orr occasionally? why play him every friggin game? hes not gonna score. he cant skate. a good shift for him is dumping the puck out of the zone and not falling down, yet he plays every night?
I'm gonna go crazy and say that Orr is a better skater than Voros. These days Orr does a better job forechecking, and gets to more pucks than Voros. I don't want Voros coming in for Orr. Fritsche, eh, Prucha, yes, Korpedo, yes, but not Voros.

Quote:
rotate some of these guys in his spot or freddys spot, someone needs to be sent down or moved. anything, but sitting these guys for long stretches is counterproductive to their development.

Voros is what, 27? He isn't "developing," nor does he have much talent to speak of. He's big, and that's about it.

Quote:
as for last nights game, i was really impressed again with staal. he seems to just get better every game. he makes little plays that matter. he wins battles. hes an unbelievable player right now.
Fixed.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
This is completely, 100% spot-on. Colton Orr has made amazing strides and had molded himself into a player that is not a liability on the ice. He is not, however, by any means an every day player. We saw a perfect example of this last night actually on a play in which he almost scored a goal. He took that nice lead pass for a partial breakaway and completely flubbed that backhander. That shot was laughable, just not NHL calibre at all (not even ECHL for god's sake).

There is no need for cap space to be wasted on redundant players. These are the moves I would make:

- Fritsche to Hartford. He and Sjostrom play a very similar game, but Sjo is much better at it.

- Potter to NY. The defense corps needs to play with more urgency and passion. Sam W. has been clamoring for this all season and I agree; bring Potter up as not only insurance, but also to push some of the blueliners that need a kick in the ass.

- Play Orr only when he is needed, that is, in divisional games or against decidedly physical teams where protection is needed.

- Put Voros on the 4th line and #1 PP unit. When Orr plays, move him up to play with Dubinsky and sit either Prucha or Korpikoski.

In this scenario, you would have Orr on the bench most nights, and one of Prucha or Korpikoski playing pretty much every game. There would also be some decent cap space savings by swapping out Fritsche for Potter, and I think even the threat of Potter's insertion would indirectly enhance the performance of the defense. Do it!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sounds like it was a good win. Missed it unfortunately.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Fletch

strange night, strange win, but the two points will be taken going into the All Star Break.

Some of the positives...I thought several Rangers came to play with a fire in their belly, they especially included Dubinsky, Cally and Naslund. Naslund played very well. I'm inclined to say Gomez played well too, but it really seemed as though it was Naslund. Betts and Sjostrom were great all game, absolutely great. Sjo had a little extra last night, and I hope Renney doesn't decide that Sjo is something he's not and puts him up with Dubi on a more permanent basis.

On the negative side...Zherdev was blanked again. He had some good shifts, but he's snake-bitten. Fritsche was absolutely invisible. 100%. Voros took three penalties, and at least two of them looked to be in the lazy variety. I'm sure people questioned whether or not one of them should've been a penalty, but still, his play was very uninspiring last night and he continues to disappoint, as opposed to being the third line, physical presence on wing this team desperately needs.

Again, the bottom line is this team gets the win at home before the break and gets some rest (although this team has been very healthy all season) and hopefully some momentum for the end of the season push.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:09 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
There is no mess with Voros and Renney didn't create it. The point about the other players is valid, because the other players have the potential to be NHL players. Voros does not, by and large through his own doing. The biggest reason Voros is not an NHL-regular is because he doesn't work hard enough. He didn't work hard enough in Minnesota and he doesn't work hard enough here.

No, he has no game. That's why he's a 27 year-old who has yet to play a full season in the league. He's healthy scratch material.

Absolutely we need this. Unfortunately, on most nights, Voros either doesn't provide it at all, doesn't provide nearly enough of it, or simply does other things (like taking terrible penalties) that are a detriment to the team.

Voros went a long while until he got scratched, and during that long while it was painfully clear that he didn't decide to play "HIS" game very often. Certainly not often enough to deserve to continue playing.

Borderline 4th liners who don't work hard enough don't deserve PP time. Where is Callahan on the PP? Where is Prucha on the PP? Those are the guys who should be getting PP time.

I totally agree that Orr shouldn't be playing every night. But it isn't because Voros should be the one replacing him.

Voros was a scrub before Renney and he'll be a scrub after Renney. He just isn't very good.

Staal continues to be one of the best young defensemen in the league. There we agree.

voros works plenty hard. he needs ice time. he needs games. ill agreee, voros should not be playing top 6 minutes. hes a 3rd line or 4th line guy. he brings bang and grit and down low cycle strength. he does need to play however and i would put him on the powerplay. i could care less if he can pass or not. hes huge, he causes matchup problems and creates space and chances in close and screens the goalie. prucha and callahan lack SIZE. we need SIZE in front of the crease and we will score more pp goals. simple. voros needs to own that spot on the ice on the pp and our pp will have success and voros will get some of those goals as well by cleaning up the trash in front.

at even strength, he needs to bang and dump and chase. play him 3rd line or 4th line minutes especially if his conditioning isnt where it should be- not so sure thats it either. he seems to be an emotional guy and right now he has zero confidence thanks to tommy boy. his game is going to create penalties both ways. the calls last night were garbage. he was playing his game and i have no problem with that part of his game. we are too soft as a whole and hes the one guy who plays with some sandpaper.

voros fills a need this team has. he better than colton orr at everything but throwing punches yet colton plays every night. who would you prefer on the 4th line with betts and freddy ? i would say voros should be the one replacing orr on most nights and when we need orr in the lineup, but him on the 3rd line but ....

PLAY HIM ON THE PP. he brings size and grit and chaos to the crease and thats what we need to make the pp effective.

i do not think voros is a scrub at all. hes damaged right now due to renneys mind games. he needs his confidence back and that comes from playing games. period.

who cares about fritsche? hes prucha with out the creativity. korpedo kinda the same even, but i prefer him over fritsche and prucha becasue defensively korp is better and hes bigger. but voros needs minutes.

ill say it again, voros is an important part of this team going forward.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
voros works plenty hard.
Both Lemaire and Renney have basically said that he doesn't, that's why he isn't in the lineup regularly.

Quote:
he brings bang and grit and down low cycle strength... hes huge, he causes matchup problems and creates space and chances in close and screens the goalie. prucha and callahan lack SIZE. we need SIZE in front of the crease and we will score more pp goals. simple. voros needs to own that spot on the ice on the pp and our pp will have success and voros will get some of those goals as well by cleaning up the trash in front.
You're talking about all the things he brings and does, except 90% of the time, he doesn't do them and doesn't bring them. Of course we need size in front of the net. But Voros doesn't always go to the net. That's the point. He doesn't get involved nearly as much or as often as he should to be of any use to this team.

Quote:
at even strength, he needs to bang and dump and chase. play him 3rd line or 4th line minutes especially if his conditioning isnt where it should be- not so sure thats it either. he seems to be an emotional guy and right now he has zero confidence thanks to tommy boy. his game is going to create penalties both ways. the calls last night were garbage. he was playing his game and i have no problem with that part of his game. we are too soft as a whole and hes the one guy who plays with some sandpaper.
You keep talking about all these things that Voros needs to do. There's the rub. Of course he needs to do them, and yet more often than not, he doesn't. When you know clearly that your coach expects you to do one thing to stay in the lineup, and more often than not you simply don't do it, that leads your coach to believe one of two things: you are lazy or you are incapable. Either way, you don't belong in the lineup.

And those penalties were lazy penalties. At least 2 of them.

Quote:
i do not think voros is a scrub at all. hes damaged right now due to renneys mind games. he needs his confidence back and that comes from playing games. period.
Renney's mindgames weren't involved a season ago, when Jacques Lemaire played him 55 games. You think that's a coincidence?

Quote:
ill say it again, voros is an important part of this team going forward.
Hopefully, Voros isn't part of the team going forward at all.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
- Fritsche to Hartford. He and Sjostrom play a very similar game, but Sjo is much better at it.

- Potter to NY. The defense corps needs to play with more urgency and passion. Sam W. has been clamoring for this all season and I agree; bring Potter up as not only insurance, but also to push some of the blueliners that need a kick in the ass.
- Fritsche isn't waiver exempt and I exepct he would be claimed.

- All 6 defensemen are playing really well now. Too well for any of them to benched in favor of a call-up IMO.

At some point, both Fritsche and Potter will play in the place of an injured player. Fritsche is best served getting into games with more regularity so he's ready, Potter is best served by playing a lead role in Hartford so he's ready.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:32 AM
KuroElite*

wow...pahllsson creams callahan and gets a penalty.....thought this was hockey...rangers pp and they get the game winner...wheres the outrage now as from like the last 2 games...see fellas it all evens out........

KuroElite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
segmentation fault

While I didnt see the penalty, he was called for interference, so I'm guessing he hit Callahan away from the puck...

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
here comes a ducks goal. get ready.
Nope, wrong again.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:11 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nope, wrong again.
law of averages.

we must lead the league in giving up goals within 6o seconds of us scoring. face reality will ya. it is what it is.

are you a stalker like this in real life too?

just asking.