HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Hypothetical Question

Old
01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
I agree that those are to the two major issues cited on these boards, though I disagree with both.

Slats blew it with the contracts to Gomez and Redden, I completely agree. However, they are what they are, and there is no sense whining about them each day. Hopefully Glen can find a way to rid us of those albatrosses while maintaining a competitive team. I'll add that with each passing game I think Gomez becomes more attractive, as he is owed less money over less years. Redden, on the other hand...

Renney is a very good coach who is doing an admirable job with the personnel provided. I know people want to see us kick it up a notch in terms of offensive intensity, but man, I shudder at the thought of what we'd look like playing outside of a defense-first system. Yes, some of his moves are questionable, but I've learned to defer to Tom--and how can you not with the success he has had? We haven't had a Cup contending roster since he's been here, so it's really hard for me to find fault in his performance.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
First you say that Renney's system is keeping the TEAM from reaching its potential, but then you say that without it, the PLAYERS might put up good numbers but the TEAM would suffer. This is contradictory. I think what you mean to say is that Renney's system keeps individual PLAYERS from reaching their potential but actually helps the TEAM win more games.
No, I merely speculated that if Renney decided to loosen the reins, we might see more individual production but that that wouldn't necessarily translate into more wins (i.e. we might start losing games 5-4 instead of winning them 2-1). Basically, I wanted to know if people would still consider the Gomez and Drury contracts such horrid mistakes if both of them were scoring at a PPG pace but the team was missing the playoffs.

EDIT: I actually re-read my original post and see the contradiction. My thought shifted half way through posting, but I think you see what I'm getting at.

Last edited by Synergy27: 01-21-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:02 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
No, I merely speculated that if Renney decided to loosen the reins, we might see more individual production but that that wouldn't necessarily translate into more wins (i.e. we might start losing games 5-4 instead of winning them 2-1). Basically, I wanted to know if people would still consider the Gomez and Drury contracts such horrid mistakes if both of them were scoring at a PPG pace but the team was missing the playoffs.

EDIT: I actually re-read my original post and see the contradiction. My thought shifted half way through posting, but I think you see what I'm getting at.
Yeah I know what you mean. Personally, as I said, I'd rather see the team win games, even if it means that Gomez/Drury/Redden/etc. don't put up very good numbers. If they were putting up great numbers but the team sucked, I think people would find different ways to criticize them (i.e. "They don't get back on defense..." or something along those lines). I think the only way they would avoid criticism is if they put up great numbers and the team was winning in addition. What are your thoughts?

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote