HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Prospect/Marlies Tracker v 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Saint John was better last year.

I also think something was happening between him and Anthony who's better without Dido...
Quote:
Sea Dogs’ Anthony named Boston Pizza CHL Player of the Week
2009-01-16

TORONTO, Friday, January 16, 2009 – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that forward Steven Anthony of the Saint John Sea Dogs is the Boston Pizza CHL Player of the Week for the week ending January 11. Anthony scored three goals and five assists for eight points with a plus-minus rating of plus-3 in two games.

On Saturday Anthony opened the scoring with a goal midway through the first period and he would add a power play assist later in the period for two points on a night where his Sea Dogs team would fall to the Gatineau Olympiques 4-3. Anthony was named second star of the game. Anthony and his offensive skill took off on Sunday exploding for two goals and four assists for a career-best six points in one game. One of his goals was scored on a penalty shot in the third period. The Sea Dogs took the rematch over the Olympiques 8-1 and Anthony was named first star of the game.

Anthony, a 17-year-old from Halifax, NS, is in his second QMJHL season with the Sea Dogs. He currently has 13 goals and 16 assists for 29 points in 45 games with the Sea Dogs and is eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and was recently ranked number 92 among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting in their mid-term rankings.
Anthony was always considered by scouts to be a very talented player.. He just never showed off nor lived up to that high praise and billing previously..

Its interesting to see that trading Dido away, no longer forces him to play in his shadow, and he was CHL player of the week the very first one after Dido departure.. 8 points in 2 games shows he likes his bigger role and responsibility..

Edit: Just adding a link to the previous thread.

Leafs Prospect/Marlies Tracker v 11.0
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=580923

LE

Last edited by LeafErikson*: 01-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old
01-19-2009, 05:16 AM
weems

Dido didnt do much offensively in this game but again I was impressed with his work along the boards, the decisions he made with the puck and his willingness to get in the middle of the action. He is the definition of a steal of a draft pick and Im almost 100% convinced he will be a solid player in the NHL in some capacity.

I think he will bring a very similar game to what Chris Kunitz does for the Ducks. Can play on basically anyone of the top 3 lines and you can put him in a scoring role or a checking role and he will make some sort of impact in either.

Old
01-19-2009, 05:32 AM
suprvilce

Before we label him as a steal lets wait for him to play in NHL, shall we?

Old
01-19-2009, 07:23 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Anthony was always considered by scouts to be a very talented player.. He just never showed off nor lived up to that high praise and billing previously..

Its interesting to see that trading Dido away, no longer forces him to play in his shadow, and he was CHL player of the week the very first one after Dido departure.. 8 points in 2 games shows he likes his bigger role and responsibility..
Says he is 17?

You'd expect players to show up more as they mature.

Now will he keep it up?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Before we label him as a steal lets wait for him to play in NHL, shall we?
NO!

Old
01-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Marlies played a rare Monday night game and lost to San Antonio 5-3.

Robbie Earl got his 2nd of the year and Bell and Battaglia got the other goals ..

Pogge was in net for the loss..

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1005396

Old
01-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Acekicker123

Holy crap, 45 shots.

Old
01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
shaner89

Pogge continues to impress stopping 40 of 44 shots. Man, thats alot of shots to give up.

Old
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
mooseOAK*

The Marlies are in the midst of a pretty brutal road trip, they are probably running out of gas. They still have games on Wednesday and Friday and then they have to play at home on Saturday which is just like playing another road game.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Anyone think a coaching change for the Marlies will occur this offseason?

Old
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I would've preferred Dougie stayed and Gilbert left to coach the Fronts.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
I would've preferred Dougie stayed and Gilbert left to coach the Fronts.
How is Dougie doing with the Fronts? I think it was better for Dougie to start off somewhere in major junior, then in a pro league.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:56 AM
rebuildalongroad

Quote:
I hope so, I would prefer a developmental coach at that level.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:02 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
No, Gilbert's done a very good job. Doesn't matter who he loses the team stays competitive.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
How is Dougie doing with the Fronts? I think it was better for Dougie to start off somewhere in major junior, then in a pro league.
The Marlies have done a lot better since Gilmour left while the Frontenacs are the worst team in the OHL.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The Marlies have done a lot better since Gilmour left while the Frontenacs are the worst team in the OHL.
To be fair, they were the worst before he got there.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Frontenacs were 5-13-5 before Douggie arrived and have been 4-17-2 since. So he's not exactly shining as a coach, though he really doesn't have a lot to work with. (Though I am a little curious as to why moose always seems so eager to slam Gilmour)

I don't see why there'd be talk of Gilbert being replaced. There was a rough start, but the Marlies have been good of late (12-7-4 in December-January). The Marlies are certainly a step below last years team, but I think that's more a matter of a drop in overall talent than in Gilbert's coaching ability.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
LovestheO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Frontenacs were 5-13-5 before Douggie arrived and have been 4-17-2 since. So he's not exactly shining as a coach, though he really doesn't have a lot to work with. (Though I am a little curious as to why moose always seems so eager to slam Gilmour)

I don't see why there'd be talk of Gilbert being replaced. There was a rough start, but the Marlies have been good of late (12-7-4 in December-January). The Marlies are certainly a step below last years team, but I think that's more a matter of a drop in overall talent than in Gilbert's coaching ability.
Maybe more a matter in losing a top goalie????

Old
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post

A good AHL coach is not really evaluated on the AHL teams win and loss record but rather his ability to prepare and groom future NHL talent and we see successful development of young talent..

Battaglia and Bell types scoring goals and Marlies winning games isn't how I would see Gilbert as doing a good job personally.

Tlusty, Stralman and Kulemin didn't seem to have a lot of statistical success under his guidance and Pogge certainly hasn't proven to this point that he is Leafs future franchise goalie based on his personal stats and the fact he was sitting last playoffs on the bench for most of the playoff games..

Old
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
A good AHL coach is not really evaluated on the AHL teams win and loss record but rather his ability to prepare and groom future NHL talent and we see successful development of young talent..

Battaglia and Bell types scoring goals and Marlies winning games isn't how I would see Gilbert as doing a good job personally.

Tlusty, Stralman and Kulemin didn't seem to have a lot of statistical success under his guidance and Pogge certainly hasn't proven to this point that he is Leafs future franchise goalie based on his personal stats and the fact he was sitting last playoffs on the bench for most of the playoff games..
I doubt we see that happen this year. Pogge has started 30, to 13 by Munro. It's obvious who Gilbert is trusting more, game in, game out. I would like to see some better numbers by Pogge, but he's certainly the teams #1, no doubt.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
sda

Quote:
never been a fan of Gilbert. even though a few callups have been ok in the NHL no one seems to have improved a whole lot under Gilbert. guys like Robbie Earl are no better than they were two years ago. Gilbert also likes to play his vets over young prospects. with the new regime in place I could see them bringing in their own guy to replace Gilbert

Old
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
MLHS Joe C

Saying his job is to develop players is crazy. It's a bonus if he does sure (and personally I think he's a bad coach), but his job is to win and if that means Devereaux and Bell on your top line then that's what he'll do.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
never been a fan of Gilbert. even though a few callups have been ok in the NHL no one seems to have improved a whole lot under Gilbert. guys like Robbie Earl are no better than they were two years ago. Gilbert also likes to play his vets over young prospects. with the new regime in place I could see them bringing in their own guy to replace Gilbert
We needed someone like Randy Cunneyworth who develops the young players before Anderson brought him up in Atlanta.

Old
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Here it is.

Going to merge some posts from the old thread, as well as the links to old threads.

Old
01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Here it is.

Going to merge some posts from the old thread, as well as the links to old threads.
first lol

Closed Thread