HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Are the Flames for real, or just on a hot streak?

View Poll Results: Are the Flames for real?
Yes. 73 41.24%
No. 49 27.68%
Not sure yet. 55 31.07%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Ticonderoga

vCash: 500
Are the Flames for real, or just on a hot streak?

We have seen this before from the Flames. They play unbelievable hockey over the months of November, December, but then start to cool off come January and then limp into the playoffs only to lose in the first round.

However many would say that this years Flames club is different. With a bevy of offensive depth, a defense that is coming together and a goaltender who looks like he is back playing at a elite level. They have also shown the ability to beat top teams such as last weeks win over the Sharks and previous wins over the Bruins, Rangers, and Capitals.

Some say they have seen this before such as Jim Kelly from RSN.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...kelley_flames/

Some other such as Mike Brophy called this at he start of the season claiming the "Flames would challenge for the conference title".

What do you think? Have we seen the all before or is there something more to this team?

I voted not sure as I will wait to see how they preform in San Jose this week before I make a judgment.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

I went with for real. It used to seem like it was Iggy, Kipper & Co. Now it feels like it's a full team and those guys can afford the odd off-night.

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

I didn't know Kipper was playing at an elite level. I don't know if he actually is, but if he isn't that makes the flames even scarier.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Ticonderoga

Well this was just posted on the scarcely trodden Flames board by Lunatik ( I hope it ok with him I bring it up here ).

Quote:
Well this is interesting...

Since (and including) Nov. 18th

1. Boston 0.840
2. San Jose 0.818
3. Calgary 0.771
4. Detroit 0.740
5. Chicago 0.729

Also since that date our team GA/G has been a decent 2.58... while scoring an impressive 3.38 GF/G

Old
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
We have seen this before from the Flames. They play unbelievable hockey over the months of November, December, but then start to cool off come January and then limp into the playoffs only to lose in the first round.

However many would say that this years Flames club is different. With a bevy of offensive depth, a defense that is coming together and a goaltender who looks like he is back playing at a elite level. They have also shown the ability to beat top teams such as last weeks win over the Sharks and previous wins over the Bruins, Rangers, and Capitals.

Some say they have seen this before such as Jim Kelly from RSN.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...kelley_flames/

Some other such as Mike Brophy called this at he start of the season claiming the "Flames would challenge for the conference title".

What do you think? Have we seen the all before or is there something more to this team?

I voted not sure as I will wait to see how they preform in San Jose this week before I make a judgment.

You have answered you own question. Kelly's opinions are generally well thought out and intelligent. Brophy is a clueless twit. Therefore this is just a hot streak.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Well this was just posted on the scarcely trodden Flames board by Lunatik ( I hope it ok with him I bring it up here ).
Nice to see that. After the St.Louis game people were saying we are only 8 back from Detroit, and we play them twice more, well it is doubtful, I think we could move up to that 2nd seed in the west if we keep playing well. And with that division title and high seed, I think we can at least (finally) make the second round if we are going to play any team in our division, or one of Phoenix or Colombus probably. Playing Detroit in the second round would be tough, but hopefully the wear of the year and last years long run will show by then. Go Flames Go!

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Kipper and Iginla are for real thus Calgary Flames by association are for real.

01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
If the Flames beat San Jose at the Shark Tank tomorrow night I think a lot of people will start to believe the flames are a top team.

I definetly think this flames team is for real. Sure we have seen a streak like this the last two years, but this year has been different. Everyone is contributing. Lines 1 to 4 are getting the job done. Iginla can have a off night and this team can still score 3-5 goals without him as has happened numerous times this season. Depth is a huge strong point with this team right now.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
They are currently on a hot streak but the Flames are a good team. They should hang on to win the division and could win a round or two. However, they are not anywhere near the elite Sharks or Wings - and I'm a Flames fan. They're somewhere in between elite and hot streak.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Dions shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
They are currently on a hot streak but the Flames are a good team. They should hang on to win the division and could win a round or two. However, they are not anywhere near the elite Sharks or Wings - and I'm a Flames fan. They're somewhere in between elite and hot streak.
While I agree with you, the Flames were better than the wings over the past 2 months.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
DownInFlames

They are for real. Took some youth and energy to get there but they've played almost two months of fantastic hockey which to me indicates they are for real.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
serge2k

real, sure.

but they are still closer to vancouver/anaheim/chicago then to detroit/san jose.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
real, sure.

but they are still closer to vancouver/anaheim/chicago then to detroit/san jose.
I do not think many teams are in the same category as San Jose or the Wings, but Chicago and Calgary would be the next best teams in the west right now.

Anaheim and Vancouver seem to be a step below these two as well IMO.

Old
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Hot streak. Flames are good team but far from serious contender imho.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Celestial Black

Obviously they are for fake.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
ryz

Outside of San Jose, Detroit and possibly Boston (they have beaten San Jose and Boston already this season) the Flames are as good as anyone else in the league right now.

So I guess it depends on what you mean by "for real".

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
I'd like to think it's just a hot streak, but the numbers really don't lie. They've been an excellent team since November or so.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
We'll see. This is a standard Flames practice because of their standard slow start. Iginla and Kiprusoff being for real doesn't make the Flames for real by association because those two have been for real for a while and it hasn't gotten them out of the 1st round since the lockout.

I think picking up Curtis Sanford on waivers could go a long way towards their long-term chances by giving Kipper some rest as the season wears on because he is on pace for way too many games and shots taken.

Their question as it always is, is their consistency defensively and consistency with secondary scoring. I think their secondary scoring has improved to the point where that will be good to go but I don't believe their defense is any better and will likely be their downfall.

I see the Flames getting out of the first round this year but unless one of the Sharks or Wings get ousted in an upset, they're not going anywhere after that.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I see the Flames getting out of the first round this year but unless one of the Sharks or Wings get ousted in an upset, they're not going anywhere after that.
Of course, unless they meet the Sharks in the 2nd round .

I think they're for real this time. I haven't seen a Flames team this deep, fast, young, and skilled in a long time.It's not just Dion or Iggy or Kipper runnng the show, we're getting contributions from everybody. Guys like Moss, Bourque, GlenX, are providing some great secondary scoring and guys like Giordano and Pardy have stepped up and played really well.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Sleazy P Martini

in my opinion, there are 3 elite teams in the league this year. they should be apparent.

i think the flames fall into the same category as the blackhawks, capitals, and probably the canadiens. a playoff threat, although not a contender.

Sleazy P Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
I'm inclined to lean hot streak because as you said, we've seen this before from the Flames. However, it hasn't ended yet. as such, voted Not Sure.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
MLSE

Answered no, meant unsure.

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Myshkin*

This happens all the time with the Flames. Streak, streak, streak.

Vancouver is a better team than the Flames, and they won't be catching the Wings, even with Ozzy in net.

Quote:
While I agree with you, the Flames were better than the wings over the past 2 months.
Wings have been better than the flames for the last 15 years.

Myshkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
The Gaud Father

I think they could be better. Iginla and Phaneuf are having off years. Despite Iginla having good numbers, he isn't the usual dominant player he was in the past. Phaneuf looks like the old rookie we saw him in 2005-2006.

When these guys get it going, the Flames will be even better. Right now, the Flames get different players getting GWG every win. Last game it was Langkow, the one before was Bourque and the one before was Nystrom, etc.

I think this year, the Flames are for real. They have the right tools with a good 1st line, great secondary scoring, a good d-man corp, and a goaltender they can rely on. This team is not so much about the skill anymore like last year, but more on hard work.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Of course, unless they meet the Sharks in the 2nd round .

I think they're for real this time. I haven't seen a Flames team this deep, fast, young, and skilled in a long time.It's not just Dion or Iggy or Kipper runnng the show, we're getting contributions from everybody. Guys like Moss, Bourque, GlenX, are providing some great secondary scoring and guys like Giordano and Pardy have stepped up and played really well.
I can't see the Flames beating the Sharks in a 7 game series this year. They'd make it a dogfight but I don't think they'd have enough. However, the beauty of the playoffs is that we will hopefully see.

If they keep up their play through most of the rest of the season, I will buy them as for real but right now they're following the same pattern as the last few seasons. Kipper wasn't carrying the team all those years before either. The question will always be whether they're supporting cast is consistently there on both ends of the ice. I'm more worried about their defensive play than I am about their secondary scoring. I do believe they've addressed that quite well.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote