HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs play like dumbasses and lose to the 14th place team.

Old
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They are top 5 in the NHL having played long stretches without 4-5 top players(Price Komi Koivu Higgins Tanguay A.Kost).
every team has to deal with injuries to key players..... that excuse doesnt wash with me sorry

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
every team has to deal with injuries to key players..... that excuse doesnt wash with me sorry
It's not an excuse, they have played .700 hockey minus 3 top 6 forwards and a #1 goalie. I doubt any top team has had anything close to 4 key guys out for a month at the asme time.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
It's not an excuse, they have played .700 hockey minus 3 top 6 forwards and a #1 goalie. I doubt any top team has had anything close to 4 key guys out for a month at the asme time.
Exactly! I don't see an excuse at all. The boys have been playing very well. No need to panic because we lose one game!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Halak's looked worse this season than in the past. Pretty shaky, and here everyone was thinking he could be moved for quality. Proving he's still young and has plenty to learn.
I wouldn't say he's looked worse. On some nights he's looked like a #1 NHL goalie, but every 3-4 starts he looks like an AHL #1 goalie. I think he's made some strides, but he is not at a point where a team trades for him and plugs him in at #1(a la Mike Smith).

I think he is 1-2 years away from having really good trade value(low salaried guy that can compete for #1 job).

Old
01-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
This team needs more offense from their defensmen. Aside from Markov, we have no D that can create offense or carry the puck effectively.
I don't disagree from your 1st point, but Hamrlik and Brisebois can help the offense and jump in the rush.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
smon

Quote:
On some nights he's looked like a #1 NHL goalie, but every 3-4 starts he looks like an AHL #1 goalie.
Pretty good assessment. Perfectly describes why he's a backup - too streaky. Mind you, that's why most backup goalies aren't starters. As for whether he could be a #1 trade option, well his trade value will only go up, so why sell low?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
LesCanadiens

Habpolar is RIGHT! LOL....

Steve Martin - Habs FAN

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
flappuck

So, when is Plekanec spending a game or two watching from the press box?

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
So, when is Plekanec spending a game or two watching from the press box?
Maybe it's time he's separated from Kovy...look how Andrei K did after the line change...maybe Pleky needs that change as well...

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Maybe it's time he's separated from Kovy...look how Andrei K did after the line change...maybe Pleky needs that change as well...
I think Plekanec just needs to start playing smart and stop playing like a little girl.

Then again, Kovalev also needs to stop trying to play ballerina instead of hockey. How many times before he realizes that he can't 3-4 guys at the same time?

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
I think Plekanec just needs to start playing smart and stop playing like a little girl.

Then again, Kovalev also needs to stop trying to play ballerina instead of hockey. How many times before he realizes that he can't 3-4 guys at the same time?
Plekanec had his chances tonight...one time the stick broke the other time on a partial break he seemed to be hook and no call was made...what can you do...nothing's going his way right now...hopefully ..."ca debloque" as soon as possible...

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Well if it's any consolation, the Wings lost to the Coyotes, the Caps lost to the Sens and the Sharks are losing to the Canucks.

But a win tonight would've been huge in terms of gaining ground on the Bruins, who didn't play tonight...oh well...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well if it's any consolation, the Wings lost to the Coyotes, the Caps lost to the Sens and the Sharks are losing to the Canucks.

But a win tonight would've been huge in terms of gaining ground on the Bruins, who didn't play tonight...oh well...
We still have a game in hand to get to within nine points of them. Seven points would've been better. Let's beat them Devils. I expect the Habs to be UP for that game.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
jean004

Carbo pulling Halak

Was he right in doing this? Some would say YES!!! going by some of the posts since the game. 3 goals on 14 shots is far from great. The first goal...Halak had a piece of and SHOULD have kept out of the net. I think when looking at the replay of the goals however, its hard to think he was responsible for the second and third goals. It wasn't his fault, he tried but couldn't stop it. Just like the 4th goal, Price didn't really have much chance there.

While I was happy to see Price and his pretty good performance since coming into the game, while also realizing that this gives him a bit of streching exercise for tomorrow's game and being happy to see that he hasn't lost his stuff since his injury, I can't help but feel that Carbo really gave the shaft to Halak tonight.

I think going to the locker room, Halak was not very happy. Let's remember he is still a "kid" and young and confidence is a huge thing. You need to know your coach believes and has confidence in you. Recently, Halak has played well for us, giving us 6 wins out of 8 games that Price missed to injury. After the Ottawa game, Carbo came out and layed praises over Halak for his recent play, calling him a great competitor.

Was it right for him to pull him tonight after 3 goals? While I can imagine what the score may have been tonight had Price started, or again had Halak stayed in the game.....what message does that send to Halak by Carbo?

One day you are getting praises, the next you are thrown out after playing fairly well. Its true, Halak needs to learn to control his rebounds. I'll be the first to say it. But I can't help but feel that this may leave a sour note for him.

I'd be confused as hell right now if I was him. Either the organization believes in you or doesn't.

If Carbo meant the words he said after the Ottawa game, then Halak should have been kept in the game, or simply have interchanged the starts for Price in Atlanta, Halak in NJ, letting Halak have a bit of "break" since he started the last 8. This would have done nothing to hurt his confidence.

If Carbo doesn't believe in Halak, he shouldn't of said what he said after the game, and simply start Price and see how he does tonight vs Atlanta, and decide based on that who to start vs Jersey.

Your thoughts.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:14 AM
HabuseMoi

the game was still in reach and Halak was pretty bad, I don't see the issue with pulling him, it's the NHL, you need to stop pucks if you want to be in front of the net.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Kirk Muller

Halak has been adequate the last 8 games prior to tonight. Not good and far from great. I think its 29 goals in the last 8 games plus a period.

The only reason he wasn't yanked in other games is because Montreal was outscoring opponents and he is already the backup so there wasn't many other options.

This is a situation where Carbo is right because worst case you pull Halak and lose and Price gets to knock some rust off.

Jaro is young and has a lot to improve. Getting pulled here and there happens to ALL goalies and tonight, rightfully so.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Stradale

I dont get it when people are saying its not Halak's fault on the second goal. Yeah Thoburn was all alone but the shot was stoppable. Lang and Hammer made a mistake on that play but Halak is there to repair the mistake from the guys in front of him.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:20 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
He honestly looks like a career back-up right now. He had so much promise before but now it looks like he can't carry a team on his shoulders. It's strange because a couple of years ago when Huet went down with an injury and the Habs were battling for a playoff spot, Halak was lights out. Was that just a good stretch from a young goalie or his true potential? Who knows, but it is clear that Price is far superior.

As for the big picture, games like this happen. They shouldn't, but they do. If it wasn't for bad goaltending it would have been either a 0-0 or 1-0 game after the 1st, which is easy to overcome. Oh well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Jakomyte

meh... so we lose to Atlanta...

Boston lost to St. Louis & Washington lost to Ottawa... it happens.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:23 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I also forgot to add that Bouillon was absolutely horrendous out there. Gorges looked a little weak and Brisebois was Brisebois. The team really needs another defender out there, despite what the Goals Against stat indicates.

Pacioretty played a great game, I just wish he threw the body a little more. D'Agostini will be the first to leave.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Montrealer

I took a break from the bipolar insane asylum here (haven't logged on since before Christmas), then figured might as well check in and see if anything changed.

Bwahahahahahaha

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I watching the Sharks-Canucks match and we're definitly not in the same league. Watching them play with a lot of strong, big, talented bodies, it was like watching 12 Max Pac on the ice. To think we're happy when we only have one! If Gainey want to really make us contenders, that's what he's gonna have to do, add a lot of size to this club. Heck start by getting rid of everybody that's below 6 foot that would be a start.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:32 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I watching the Sharks-Canucks match and we're definitly not in the same league. Watching them play with a lot of strong, big, talented bodies, it was like watching 12 Max Pac on the ice. To think we're happy when we only have one! If Gainey want to really make us contenders, that's what he's gonna have to do, add a lot of size to this club. Heck start by getting rid of everybody that's below 6 foot that would be a start.
Anyone who saw that game, and a few others by the Sharks should know by now... NO TEAM is in their league, Detroit aside... nope, not even the Bruins!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 05:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
wow

major meltdown from HF tonight.

Relax. NJ lost to them 4-0 last week, are they horrid also?

It was a game that the only way the habs would lose is if they beat themselves and they did. Halak changed the game with his poor play and a lucky 4th goal and boom, game over.

They has chances but Lethonen beat them. Every once and awhile other goalies can steal wins, its not a habs exclusive treatment.

On to tomorrow, hopwfully they will bounce back and put in a more solid effort.
You sir are the highlight of this thread.

I'm not going to blame the Refs for this, but does anyone else think if they would have called that hook on Plekanec during that PP and we went on the 5-on-3 we could have atleast tied it and got a loser point or win? I found it strange Patches got a hooking penalty for his one handed stick touch, but the Trashers player got away with literally slowing Plekanec down like no tommorow. Consistency from the NHL would be nice.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 05:30 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
meh... so we lose to Atlanta...

Boston lost to St. Louis & Washington lost to Ottawa... it happens.
Detroit gets thumped by the Yotes....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote