HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you expect deals in the next 40 hours?

View Poll Results: Do you expect deals in the next 40 hours?
Yes 36 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Do you expect deals in the next 40 hours?

I do.

I expect a few deals for the Avs.

I wouldnt be suprised if we get Hill and O'Neill from Carolina and/or Kolzig and Grier/Carter from Washington.

Old
03-08-2004, 10:35 AM
hoserthehorrible

Good question. With Lacroix you usually never know until it hits the airwaves. He may have the roster he wants and will only make a smallish move to add depth. Then again, he may just make a bold move and shake up the roster in an attempt to wake the team up.

If I had to guess I'd say he attempts to get Rucchin if the price is right. He's made his moves on the blueline to add depth, and may be looking to the offensive end for help, although he shouldn't have to with the talent the team has.

If it were me I'd take a serious look at moving Selanne somewhere else, and Kariya too if need be, and try to replace them with an ONeill (depends on shoulder) or Satan or both. It would probably take a couple moves to accomplish it all but I would be lookin in that direction if it were me as the GM for a week. I think Selanne's skills have eroded and I'm just not sure if he and Kariya are capable of stepping up this year to a long and tough playoff run. Right now, they aren't getting it done and it doesn't get any easier in the playoffs.

Last edited by hoserthehorrible: 03-08-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old
03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Playmaker

I will not only go out on a limb, I'll jump off the friggin limb and hope there's a safety-net down there.

Colorado nabs Pronger from Blues.

Old
03-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinkrantz
I will not only go out on a limb, I'll jump off the friggin limb and hope there's a safety-net down there.

To be a bit more serious about it though - Salo and Barnaby is what I'd settle for, hopefully O'Neill instead of Barnaby, if we don't have to use D-Mo...

Old
03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:

That may not be as far fetched as it first sounds. Obviously Lacroix has a history of pulling off huge deals when people least expect it. Blake's deal was seen a little bit but Fleury and Bourque are great examples of Lacroix coming out of nowhere to nab the prized player. I read that Pronger is pissed off at the Quenneville firing, management issues, and the team's struggles and he may have asked to be traded.

Could you imagine Blake and Pronger on the blue line together? Their reach alone would cover half the defensive zone.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible
That may not be as far fetched as it first sounds. Obviously Lacroix has a history of pulling off huge deals when people least expect it. Blake's deal was seen a little bit but Fleury and Bourque are great examples of Lacroix coming out of nowhere to nab the prized player. I read that Pronger is pissed off at the Quenneville firing, management issues, and the team's struggles and he may have asked to be traded.

Could you imagine Blake and Pronger on the blue line together? Their reach alone would cover half the defensive zone.
My guess for this to happen would be if Granato was fired, replaced by Quenneville, and Lacroix after that trading for Pronger, who might look forward to rejoining Q here...but the costs would be severe, right?
D-Mo would have to be involved (not a huge loss, if Pronger comes back), but I doubt we can afford to add Pronger...

Old
03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Zodiac

O'Niell/Irbe would have been a logical package. Looks like that wont happen now.

I fear Daze. He's extremely injury prone and I vaguely remember him talking about calling it a career earlier this season (because of his injuries). I really don't trust him ...but he is a decent player. Too bad he plays soft for a guy thats so friggin big.

I have no idea whats gonna happen. If I had to pick one trade that I think will go down ...I'd say we get Kolzig. Maybe it will be Morris for Kolzig/Witt? Who knows?

Old
03-08-2004, 12:52 PM
IceBagadonuts

Trades?

Now that O'Neill is off the market, that may also remove Irbe as part of some package deal (for a back-up goalie).

I agree that Rucchin and Satan/Zhitnik/Biron are logical targets. However, after yesterday's Flame-out, a back-up goalie is now a higher priority, and the targets here are the numerous Usual Suspects..

If any trade involves Derek Morris, acquiring another D becomes an "automatic".

Nobody's mentioned this, but given the "relationship" between Colorado's and St.Louis' ownerships (both wealthy owners -- Stan Kronke and Bill Laurie -- being married to wealthy Walton family/Walmart heiresses), I wouldn't be surprised for some unique under-the-table maneuvering to occur. That might lead to some spectacular deal for Chris Pronger. We may never know the details of such a deal (if it even happens), but the red-ink bleeding Blues do need to cut salary (and get younger) despite their owner's wealth... because he IS a successful entrepreneur with an eye for the bottom line.

Pronger! Wow!

I still think C Chris Gratton is on Colorado's shopping list, too... if only because he might come relatively cheaply (for a prospect and some nebulous "future consideration"). However, with O'Neill's injury, maybe Gratton's value, along with Satan's and Daze's, just kicked up a notch.

The plot thickens.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Sandman52

Since O'Neill is out of the equation, why not Brind'amour and Irbe? 3rd-line/2nd-in-a-pinch center with good face-off and PK skills. Or is there something I do not know about Hot Rod?

Old
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I'd send Morris to Buffalo for Satan and Zhitnik.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I'd send Morris to Buffalo for Satan and Zhitnik.
Maybe we could trade Morris for Drury.

Last week, I didn't think that PL would do much more than tinker. Now, I have to wonder. Maybe he won't make any big moves, but it sure seems more likely now than it did before. And I am sure that if he can get Pronger for a Morris package, he does that. Even though we are pretty solid, and sufficiently deep, on the blue line, you really have to think that replacing Morris with Pronger is a good idea. That is if Morris is really on the outs. I don't think they need to deal him, and my first reaction is that we keep him, but he is our most tradeable asset and could yield a very high return.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman52
Since O'Neill is out of the equation, why not Brind'amour and Irbe? 3rd-line/2nd-in-a-pinch center with good face-off and PK skills. Or is there something I do not know about Hot Rod?
He's got a long term contract for WAY too much money. He's over 5M a year I believe.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Tinordi24*

FYI

Both Kolzig and Grier were missing from practice from what Caps people are saying is the "flu".

Same "flu" Gonchar got scratched for right before being traded.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
FYI

Both Kolzig and Grier were missing from practice from what Caps people are saying is the "flu".

Same "flu" Gonchar got scratched for right before being traded.
Every time I see someone saying something like this, I go: "yeah, now Grier and Kolzig will be joining the Avs. Tomorrow they will be here."

And then I find out they really have the flu...

Old
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Melrose'sMullet

If St Louis were to deal Pronger thenI'm sure they would be willing to deal the house as well.

To St Louis:
Morris
Sauve
McCormack
Svatos
Picks

To Colorado:
Proger
WasGood
Demitra

All problems solved!

Old
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Every time I see someone saying something like this, I go: "yeah, now Grier and Kolzig will be joining the Avs. Tomorrow they will be here."

And then I find out they really have the flu...
The Avs will be getting some combonation of Grier, Witt and Kolzig.

Carter's available too if they want him.

But the "Caps flu" only hits players when a deal is "immenent". 2 unnamed western conf teams and 1 east conf team are in the bidding for Kolzig and any deal involving him will most likely have Grier or Witt attached.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Tico

Possible trades being discussed -

I think Zhitnik hurt his shoulder over the weekend, and do we really need him?

Satan seems to me to be a streaky, *****y guy who'd be a bad time in the locker room. Pulling that cell phone garbage - during a hockey game - is WAY too bush league to be playing here.

Biron - I've got no problems with Biron, but do think he might be a burr in Abby's saddle.

Pronger - wow. That'd be a hell of a pick up, but wicked expensive. I'd expect the Blues to come back with a request for Foote if they're gonna give up Pronger.

I still say it'll be Salo and...someone. Grier maybe?

Old
03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
If St Louis were to deal Pronger thenI'm sure they would be willing to deal the house as well.

To St Louis:
Morris
Sauve
McCormack
Svatos
Picks

To Colorado:
Proger
WasGood
Demitra

All problems solved!
If those picks are a 1st in '04 and '05, they might do that deal.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Bigfoot

It is really too bad that the top 8 in the WC aren't set. If St. Louis wasn't in the playoff hunt, then bringing up Pronger would be rational. They aren't gonna trade him, and besides he makes $10 mil a year.

My wishlist for the Avs: Fernandez, Barnaby and Lindros. Each could be had for relatively cheap, especially a Barnaby-Lindros package deal with the Rags. Fernandez understands how to play defensive hockey, I am sure he could help the Avs with both his abilities and his knowledge. Barnaby and Lindros because they want to win and because they can get in their and bang around. Barnaby has been the best Rags player this year, and Lindros, if he is healthy, could provide a dimension that the Avs sorely need. And throw in a defensive dman in there as well, with Blake, Foote and Liles we have enough offensive dmen that Morris is dispensable.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
It is really too bad that the top 8 in the WC aren't set. If St. Louis wasn't in the playoff hunt, then bringing up Pronger would be rational. They aren't gonna trade him, and besides he makes $10 mil a year.

My wishlist for the Avs: Fernandez, Barnaby and Lindros. Each could be had for relatively cheap, especially a Barnaby-Lindros package deal with the Rags. Fernandez understands how to play defensive hockey, I am sure he could help the Avs with both his abilities and his knowledge. Barnaby and Lindros because they want to win and because they can get in their and bang around. Barnaby has been the best Rags player this year, and Lindros, if he is healthy, could provide a dimension that the Avs sorely need. And throw in a defensive dman in there as well, with Blake, Foote and Liles we have enough offensive dmen that Morris is dispensable.
How ironic would it be if Lindors finished his career with the team he shunned on draft day.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

If the Av's traded Morris, I think they would be in need of another offensive or 2-way D-Man. With Boughner, Foote, Blake, Skrastins, and Sauer, they have a good group of defensive minded guys. I think Dick Tarnstrom from Pittsburgh would be an ok pick-up, and I doubt he costs too much.

Old
03-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBrad
If the Av's traded Morris, I think they would be in need of another offensive or 2-way D-Man. With Boughner, Foote, Blake, Skrastins, and Sauer, they have a good group of defensive minded guys. I think Dick Tarnstrom from Pittsburgh would be an ok pick-up, and I doubt he costs too much.
How many 2-way dmen do we need? The Avs have been scouted so well and every potential playoff opponent we might have will probably play a trap or some sort of defensive hockey. We have sucked at home because each team comes in to Denver thinking they are gonna get throttled at the Can. The problem is our forwards are great shooters but are not physical enough to keep the puck in the zone thus forcing the dmen to overcommit and try to make plays. If we can get more physical forwards through trading a 2-way Dman like Morris, the benefit would outweigh the loss IMO.

Old
03-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Deader

according to yahoo.com boxscores,Carter and Kölzig are not in the lineup tonight,may be Olie backs up charpentier but Anson does not play tonight

edit,Carter traded to L.A. for Aulin

Old
03-08-2004, 06:19 PM
avspatti

Clough's suggestion

Did anyone hear Sandy C last night? One of his suggestions made the most sense IMO. He said that maybe PL would go into the room, tell the guys that the Avs have more than enough to win the Cup, and that if it didn't happen, IT WAS ALL ON THE PLAYERS! I like it.

Old
03-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspatti
Did anyone hear Sandy C last night? One of his suggestions made the most sense IMO. He said that maybe PL would go into the room, tell the guys that the Avs have more than enough to win the Cup, and that if it didn't happen, IT WAS ALL ON THE PLAYERS! I like it.
I don't think the solution is to make a bunch of trades. In the scheme of things it is up to the players and we can't ignore the first 50 games of the season due to this slump. The problem with this slump is the timing. I don't mind if Lacroix tinkers with the club (i.e. adding a 2nd/3rd line forward), but I don't think we need wholesale changes.

Closed Thread