HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goaltending Help

Old
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
OprtnShtdwn

vCash: 500
Goaltending Help

Hello, I'm new to posting here, but have been reading posts for a lil bit now looking for tips to improve my game.

I just started playing goalie on ice recently. I've played on deck for years apon years, and thought i'd give it a shot. I've faired decent so far, but i've been having one main problem.

When i go down to my knees, i'm used to being forced to drop straight down on them since the old mylec pads obviously don't have the butterfly pads. So on ice, i keep dropping as if i'm on a deck.

What can i do to possibly break out of this habit i have. I've been trying to use my pads more on the deck in just little shoot arounds to rid myself of the bad habit.

Thanks everybody in advance.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
densetsu

So if I understand correctly, when you go down your pads are like this guy's left leg:

And you want them both face out, like this:

Modern goalie pads will rotate face-out naturally as you go down. There could be a number of reasons why yours aren't, but the first thing that comes to mind is how your strap your pads on. Are your leg straps tight or loose? How about your boot strap? And your toe tie?

Personally, I wear all my leg straps very loose and my boot strap loose. In general, tighter leg/boot straps slow down or even stop pad rotation, though everybody is different.

I've also tied several knots in my toe tie laces so there is a 1.5" gap between the toe of my pad and the toe of my boot. A toe tie that is very tight can affect rotation, while a toe tie that is too loose won't rotate the pad back into position when you get up from a butterfly.

It's all personal preference. Play around with the strapping and see how the pad reacts. Do you happen to have any pictures that would show us how tight/loose your straps are?

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR15 View Post

Hello, I'm new to posting here, but have been reading posts for a lil bit now looking for tips to improve my game.

I just started playing goalie on ice recently. I've played on deck for years apon years, and thought i'd give it a shot. I've faired decent so far, but i've been having one main problem.

When i go down to my knees, i'm used to being forced to drop straight down on them since the old mylec pads obviously don't have the butterfly pads. So on ice, i keep dropping as if i'm on a deck.

What can i do to possibly break out of this habit i have. I've been trying to use my pads more on the deck in just little shoot arounds to rid myself of the bad habit.

Thanks everybody in advance.
Just so I have this straight- Do you mean that you are dropping down on top of the pads so that the face of the pad is towards the ice rather than perpendicular to it?

Also- what kind of pads are you using? Are you still using the Mylecs on ice?

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

try a wider stance and sit lower. when you go down do bring your ankles together

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I used the Mylex pads on the deck surface only. The deck hockey was mainly just pick up, grab a few guys playing w/ a street hockey ball.

As far as going down... I'm getting my legs out.. but i just go pads flat to the ice. I've been trying to work on pushing off w/ one leg, to get at the very least the other pad flat down on the ice.

With my straps, i've been doing the top part, towards the knee loose, while having the bottom tighter.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

yea make sure the top 3 or so straps on top are loose

Old
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Do you know of any possible drills that i could practice on the ice or even somethin i could do at home w/ just my leg pads on?[

Old
01-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

at home just practice dropping both knees at the same time in a butterfly stance then popping up

Old
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Thanks Bro

Old
01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Hamilton35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
try a wider stance and sit lower. when you go down do bring your ankles together
everything else you is fine, BUT DO NOT BRING YOUR ANKLES TOGETHER!

You are not falling down, you are making a save and want to be as big as possible. Technically your ankles should not slide any direction but stayclose to where they were in your stance.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post
everything else you is fine, BUT DO NOT BRING YOUR ANKLES TOGETHER!

You are not falling down, you are making a save and want to be as big as possible. Technically your ankles should not slide any direction but stayclose to where they were in your stance.
haha i meant to say dont bring your ankeles together

i usually dont speak like a british person "do bring your ankles together" i just forgot to finish typing it

Old
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
MikeD

To get a solid rotation involves a few simple machanics. When strapping your pads you want to have the skate gusset integrated to the skate very well. Some skates have strap/s that go thru the back, last opening in the blade holder. Some have a single strap going thru the opening at the arch of the foot. Some have both....

Snugged, these make the pad face follow the top of the skate. Many goalies transitioning from Dek, floor or street have a habit of hopping off the skates. As they drop into a butterfly. When the skates leave the ice the natural movement puts the top of your feet downward to face the ice. Looking down your leg to the foot would show the shin, top of foot inline and in a position much like standing on your toes. This results in the pad face coming down on the ice. It also results in many goals because that HOP opens the ice for a split second, allowing the puck through.

with a stance at least slightly more than shoulder width apart and a slight forward lean, the toes, knees and shoulders should form a slight forward leaning line. Your stick would be between 12 and 16" in front centered on the five with a slight angle, toe further away than the heel(natural position with elbow tucked in). As you begin the movement, your knees begin to come together as you open up at the waist(unless shot is coming into the chest). The end result is that most of the downward movement happens from the waist down, your head dropping only a few inches from the level when in stance.

As your knees drive inward you will roll the skates inward onto the inside edge of the skate blades, toes pointing outward(reverse of a snowplow stop when skiing). IF you practice this slowly, in skates and on carpeting(no pads), you will see and feel the natural tendancy of the toes to point outward When the inside edge of the skate gusset portion of the pads touches the ice they will slide over the top of the skate allowing your skate cowling to contact the ice. If the toe straps/laces are too tight, the pad contact will lift your blade free earlier resulting in less lateral drive(Bfly slide) and an increased amount of knee lift to regain that edge for further lateral drive while down or to regain up to your stance. The end results have the inside of your skates and your inside ankle bone facing the ice, toes pointed outward.

Straps at the calf should allow to to stand upright and not feel pressure at the back of the calf. Knee lock straps would be snug but knee strap also only tight enough to make sure that when you do butterfly, your knee will stay on your landing gear, also not feeling pressure when standing totally upright. Thigh strap.....why do they still put this throw back strap on pads? Just secure enough to be out of the way. That strap could be removed from your pads and you wouldnt know it was gone. Do not OVEr tighten the strap going to the heel or under the arch of your foot. Just enough to give good integration. On recovery to your skates from a good "profly" the pads should return to front on their own. IF they do not, you may have the strap too lose(feel floppy when moving around) or too tight(have to push the pad back to front against resistance)

Technically, with good hip flexation, your ankles/feet should end up MUCH WIDER than your stance. IF they do not, also take a look at the stretching download on the mentioned tips page below to widen your butterfly and google search for HIP STRETCHES. KNEE stretches will NOT widen the butterfly and can be bad for your health(IMHO) Modern goal pads will rotate and recover front much easier but ONLY if you follow the basic mechanics needed to "pro-fly". Even my old Coopers and Heaton 6800's will profly given the simple steps detailed above. However, slamming my knees into the ice with out any landing gear is not quite fun to do.

There are two PDF files that will offer you very good instruction on basic and advanced butterfly as well as good self development drills. you can access them at my website @ Hawksice.com Tips page Please do save a copy to your computer if possible rather than return visits to access so as to conserve bandwidth usage. Adobe Acrobat Reader will be needed to open/read the PDF files. If you do not have it there is a free download at : adobe.com All of these downloadable files are assured computer safe and virus free.

Last edited by MikeD: 01-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
slackerracker

As a goalie you have to believe the guys in front of you are behind you because if they are not behind you than they are in front of you, and if they are in front of you without being behind you then you might as well be alone out there without any one in front of you, now sometimes the guys in front of you will go behind but if they go behind you without being behind you then you are in a heap of trouble, believe me.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
OprtnShtdwn

We just need to make sure we're neutral, like the Swiss.

Old
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
slackerracker

the more we play like the swiss in the neutral zone the more neutral we will be and i am very precise about that.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote