HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about one-way vs two-way contracts?

Old
09-29-2015, 08:41 AM
DoggyII

vCash: 500
Question about one-way vs two-way contracts?

I remember reading that the CBJ kept Oleg Yevenko in camp a little longer because they wanted to see more and see if he was worth offering a one way contract. Now...the kid is already on a two-way, so I understand the advantage to him of being on a one-way...more money. But what's the advantage to the team to offer a one way NHL deal to a kid already signed to a two-way deal?

Or did I simply mis-read this (always a possibility in my aged mind).

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 09:06 AM
DarkandStormy

^He's on an AHL-contract only, and the team wanted to potentially give him a two-way NHL contract.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
IIRC part of the advantage is that if he's got an NHL contract, he can be called up as an injury replacement.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 09:46 AM
DarkandStormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
IIRC part of the advantage is that if he's got an NHL contract, he can be called up as an injury replacement.
Didn't Ryan Craig get called up on an "emergency recall" last year with no NHL contract? Or am I screwing up that line of thinking?

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStorm45 View Post
Didn't Ryan Craig get called up on an "emergency recall" last year with no NHL contract? Or am I screwing up that line of thinking?
he had a contract with us...this is first year he did not

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 03:55 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStorm45 View Post
^He's on an AHL-contract only, and the team wanted to potentially give him a two-way NHL contract.
This is your answer.

Old
09-29-2015, 08:47 PM
DoggyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
This is your answer.
So is he on a one way AHL contract with Cleveland or is it a one way AHL contract with the CBJ? I assumed it was with the CBJ.

Does he make the same in the AHL on a one way or two way deal? If he is on a one way AHL deal, does that prevent the CBJ from calling him up at some point during the season or would they have to simply alter his deal at that time?

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 11:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
So is he on a one way AHL contract with Cleveland or is it a one way AHL contract with the CBJ? I assumed it was with the CBJ.

Does he make the same in the AHL on a one way or two way deal? If he is on a one way AHL deal, does that prevent the CBJ from calling him up at some point during the season or would they have to simply alter his deal at that time?
Mixing terminology. He does not have a NHL contract, so one-way or two-way doesn't come into play.

A two-way NHL contract means he can go up and down from the AHL without having to clear waivers. A one-way deal means being placed on waivers if you get sent down; also the salary is the same at the NHL or AHL.

He has a AHL contract. He can not get called up to the CBJ unless he signs a deal. I know there are issues with European players if they get contracts mid-season, I think they get exposed to waivers on the way up. At least there was, I think they happened to Nabokov? (Islanders maybe) a few years back?. Not sure if that applies to NA players playing in the AHL.

Either way it's highly unlikely he would end up with a NHL contract this season. There would likely have to be a lot of injuries.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Mixing terminology. He does not have a NHL contract, so one-way or two-way doesn't come into play.

He has a AHL contract. He can not get called up to the CBJ unless he signs a deal.

Either way it's highly unlikely he would end up with a NHL contract this season. There would likely have to be a lot of injuries.
All of this is right. He has a contract with only the LEM right now, not the CBJ.

Quote:
two-way NHL contract means he can go up and down from the AHL without having to clear waivers. A one-way deal means being placed on waivers if you get sent down; also the salary is the same at the NHL or AHL.
This is partially incorrect. Whether a player is exposed to waivers is due to their age and experience, not their contract status. Madaiskey is on a two-way but had to clear waivers when he was cut last week. A two-way just means you have one salary when you are playing in the nhl, and a different cheaper salary when you are playing in the ahl. If you are on a one-way, you are being paid the same salary regardless of whether you are assigned to the nhl or ahl.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Note: Not really an NHL issue, but there is such a thing as a two-way AHL contract as well. i think that means they can be sent down to the ECHL. In the case of the CBJ, it would be a LEM/Kalamazoo Wings contract. I don't know if we have anyone signed to one of those.

Jackets Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
He has a AHL contract. He can not get called up to the CBJ unless he signs a deal. I know there are issues with European players if they get contracts mid-season, I think they get exposed to waivers on the way up. At least there was, I think they happened to Nabokov? (Islanders maybe) a few years back?. Not sure if that applies to NA players playing in the AHL.
This part is for players who have played games in that season outside of North America and then sign with an NHL team, whether they're European-born or North American-born. Nabokov was playing in the KHL when he signed his contract, but so was Wade Dubielewicz when Columbus picked him up off waivers in the same situation. Glenn Anderson had it happen to him (German League), and Ryan O'Reilly would have had it happen to him a couple years ago if Colorado hadn't matched the offer sheet. But a player who's playing that season only in North America wouldn't have it apply to him.

The relevant CBA text, from Section 13.23:

Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2015, 01:52 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Madaiskey is on a two-way but had to clear waivers when he was cut last week. A two-way just means you have one salary when you are playing in the nhl, and a different cheaper salary when you are playing in the ahl. If you are on a one-way, you are being paid the same salary regardless of whether you are assigned to the nhl or ahl.
Fair enough, you are correct obviously (mostly I think, I would have to review the CBA to see if that is entirely accurate). I did cover the pay, however - so no reason to expand on that.

I messed with my own mind on that one, I actually knew all that.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Cannon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
Note: Not really an NHL issue, but there is such a thing as a two-way AHL contract as well. i think that means they can be sent down to the ECHL. In the case of the CBJ, it would be a LEM/Kalamazoo Wings contract. I don't know if we have anyone signed to one of those.
I think Oleg Yevenko is on a two-way AHL contract, but is under consideration for a two-way NHL/AHL one later this year if needed.

Cannon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2015, 04:34 PM
BlueJacketsFan4Life
Hockey is Life

The Jackets signed Oleg Yevenko to one-year, two-way deal today

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news...mpid=rss-staff

BlueJacketsFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote