HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
CBJNut

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I've bashed Time Warner around a bunch. Anybody with either DirectTV or Dish Network want to comment on FSNOH using their services?

Are there 1 channel or 2? Is Center Ice Blacked out?

HD?
I have Directv. FSN has 2 channels, at least in my local coverage (Columbus). We have FSOhio and FSN Cincinnati. The Jackets games are on either one of those. Whether they are in HD is up in the air. It's hit or miss. Hopefully this year we have all games in HD like the Reds get.

And Jackets games are blacked out on Center Ice when they are on FSN.

CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Sports Time Ohio is a separate company owned in part by the Cleveland Indians and is not a Fox Sports channel.
Didn't know that. So we have 2 HD FSOhio Feeds...should be enough to cover all the Winter Sports in the State of Ohio.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJNut View Post
I have Directv. FSN has 2 channels, at least in my local coverage (Columbus). We have FSOhio and FSN Cincinnati. The Jackets games are on either one of those. Whether they are in HD is up in the air. It's hit or miss. Hopefully this year we have all games in HD like the Reds get.

And Jackets games are blacked out on Center Ice when they are on FSN.
This pretty much sums up my Directv/CBJ experience as well. Only major issue I have is that sometimes the game will be listed in HD on the Jackets site, but won't be broadcast in HD.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
This pretty much sums up my Directv/CBJ experience as well. Only major issue I have is that sometimes the game will be listed in HD on the Jackets site, but won't be broadcast in HD.
Same with Dish Network. Two FSNs.

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Skraut

Just checked. Both Dish and DirectTV would only give me one Fox Sports Ohio. FSNCleveland.

If I put in a Columbus Zip code on both of their configurators I get both FSNOH and FSN Cincy..

But in Cleveland, I only get the Cleveland feed.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Mwd711

Quote:
Just checked. Both Dish and DirectTV would only give me one Fox Sports Ohio. FSNCleveland.

If I put in a Columbus Zip code on both of their configurators I get both FSNOH and FSN Cincy..

But in Cleveland, I only get the Cleveland feed.
If you get the sports pack, you receive both. As a CBJ fan living in Cleveland, satellite is the best way to go. It's also possible to receive Penguins game on FSN Pittsburgh this way.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwd711 View Post
If you get the sports pack, you receive both. As a CBJ fan living in Cleveland, satellite is the best way to go. It's also possible to receive Penguins game on FSN Pittsburgh this way.
I have ATT Uverse here in Cleveland and I get both FS Channels (Cleveland and Cincy) and was able to see every single game that FS Ohio produced.

Also I got those Penquins games as well (not in HD though) and it was significantly cheaper then satellite.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
I have ATT Uverse here in Cleveland and I get both FS Channels (Cleveland and Cincy) and was able to see every single game that FS Ohio produced.

Also I got those Penquins games as well (not in HD though) and it was significantly cheaper then satellite.
Uverse stops 2 miles from my door

Old
08-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Skraut

Nothing like getting National Attention for all the wrong reasons. Thanks FSNOH

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-266058
Quote:
Columbus Blue Jackets: The Blue Jackets will only have 75 of their 82 games aired on local TV. A couple will be on Versus, but most of the other seven just won't be aired at all, which is ridiculous in this day and age.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Consider the source, Lambert is a total jackass. In that same column he called the Central Division soft!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Consider the source, Lambert is a total jackass. In that same column he called the Central Division soft!
Puck Daddy is a well read (and well cloned, thanks spambots) site.

And it's not like anything he said was wrong, it is completely ridiculous. How much longer does FSNOH have?

It's really time for SportsTime Ohio. Their production value isn't the best, but everything they do is in HD,

Old
08-30-2010, 12:42 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:

Not to defend FSO too much, but 5 of those games are 'owned' by Versus. FSO is really passing on only 2 games; the second game in Sweden and 12/15 @ Van. Both games where production costs would be pretty high due to travel. Once again national media not doing the work to get the facts right.

Now, the fact that they won't all be in HD is a separate rant altogether.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Skraut

One team last year (I seem to remember it was the Wild) pushed back the start times of their games so that they didn't conflict with the Vs exclusivity window so they could air them on TV.

Old
08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Not to defend FSO too much, but 5 of those games are 'owned' by Versus. FSO is really passing on only 2 games; the second game in Sweden and 12/15 @ Van. Both games where production costs would be pretty high due to travel. Once again national media not doing the work to get the facts right.

Now, the fact that they won't all be in HD is a separate rant altogether.
Not having HD for all games is BS. If the Reds can have all of their 500 games in HD why can't FSN do 75 hockey games in HD?

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Fewer people watch on TV than go to the games:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...attendance.png

That's why. And it's not ridiculous. We're lucky to get what we do.

And, for the record, the Reds can thank... what's that? Oh yes, winning, for their increased popularity:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ports_business

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Fewer people watch on TV than go to the games:

That's why. And it's not ridiculous. We're lucky to get what we do.

And, for the record, the Reds can thank... what's that? Oh yes, winning, for their increased popularity:

Not sure where you're getting your facts, but Fox Sports Ohio themselves claims over 17,000 for the 08-09 season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=20944

Can no longer find that press release on the FSNOH site, but it also at http://thejacketsblog.com/2009/04/ and http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=82800508558

Either way the numbers are minus all the people like me who can't see the games on their cable channels due to FSNOH stupidity, and turn to watching the FSNOH feed through other methods.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Ar-too

OK, I'll stipulate to 17,000. By contrast, see the Cavs:

125,000 viewers per game (sure to go down with the loss of Lebron) in recent history. Again, we're lucky to get what we do.

Last edited by Ar-too: 08-30-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old
08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Skraut

Apples to oranges...

NBA draws more, http://ducks.ocregister.com/2010/06/...-vs-nba/37619/

why do you think ESPN dropped hockey...

Going by the stats you posted,
the Jackets had the 10th best ratings.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Doug19

No we aren't. It's 2010 freaking ping-pong basement games are televised now-a-days. The coverage of CBJ sucks. Also who cares how many people watch Cavs games, they also happened to have one of the greatest basketball players of all-time on there team.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Ar-too

And that's my point. I don't expect my local restaurant to provide and invest in food that interests 5 of its customers when the food they make a profit on is palatable to triple that. Especially when their customers don't really have somewhere else to go. If STO wants the Jackets, I'm good with that, but I bet they'll have a hard time getting them away from FSN, unless they REALLY, REALLY want them. And with the product the Jackets are serving up, I bet they don't.

All that's to say, you should be upset with the Jackets for being crappy. Not FSN.

Old
08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Skraut

Quote:
And that's my point. I don't expect my local restaurant to provide and invest in food that interests 5 of its customers when the food they make a profit on is palatable to triple that. Especially when their customers don't really have somewhere else to go. If STO wants the Jackets, I'm good with that, but I bet they'll have a hard time getting them away from FSN, unless they REALLY, REALLY want them. And with the product the Jackets are serving up, I bet they don't.

All that's to say, you should be upset with the Jackets for being crappy. Not FSN.
Actually, you're missing the point because you don't understand TV ratings.

a 1.39 if the chart you posted is to believed, is a pretty darn good number for cable.

That means 1.39% of the Columbus area was watching the game on Fox Sports Ohio.

Compare it to the Cable shows last night. These are National numbers, but give you a perspective of just how hard getting 1.39 of any market is in a world with 350 channels... (the bottom number under each show is it's rating)

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/27...303#more-61303

If it had been on last night, the only shows that would have beaten it would have been Royal Pains, Burn Notice, an NFL game and Jersey Shore...

Should the numbers be better, absolutely. But when advertisers look to spend, they look at the percentages in each market and that's where they spend their money on. Anything over 1.0 on cable is darn good. Heck, the Networks are usually only in the 3%-4% range.

Last edited by Skraut: 08-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I did not realize so few people watched the Jackets on tv, that's a little disappointing.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I did not realize so few people watched the Jackets on tv, that's a little disappointing.
A lot of people don't watch them every night. And especially with last season, where they barely won any games for 2 months, I didn't watch many of those games either because it was too painful to watch.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
The Indians couldn't even fill Progressive Field with those who watch their games at home, and Baseball is "America's Pastime"

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=27695

Out of 100% of the people who have TV's roughly 70% are not watching at any one time. So you have hundreds of channels competing for the remaining 30% that are watching at any time.

30%/300 channels means if every channel were watched evenly, all shows would have a 0.1 rating. Hense why a 1.39 isn't insignificant.

If I was joe business owner looking to advertise, I'd start at the shows with the highest rating in the market and work down. It all goes by ratings

Old
08-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

I don't think anyone faults the Jackets on the amount of games they cover, but the HD stuff is a little embarrassing. I seem remember a few instances last season where a game would only be shown in Standard Def, despite being listed on the website as being in HD.

As Doug61 said, it's 2010. If they show Lifetime Movies in HD, I'm sure they can afford to show most of the games in HD.