HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
In the Dispatch chat, yesterday, Porty speculated (perhaps jokingly?) that Rimer may be feeding x-GMDM info from the locker room and around the rink. I'm not a big fan of either of them, but that would really tick me off!

By the way, AP also said that Nash can barely stand Dougie. Good, glad to hear it!
Wouldn't surprise me if Rims does keep in touch with Doug given their history dating back to the Florida days (at least). I'm pretty sure Doug is the reason Jeff was hired initially. But, to his credit (?), Rimer is enough of a lap dog that he kisses the hiney of whoever he needs to in order to stay employed.

I've never liked the guy and my understanding is that he isn't exactly well respected within the organization. But as with tons of incompetent people in the organ-eye-zation, no one seems to be the slightest bit interested in showing him the door.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Rims does keep in touch with Doug given their history dating back to the Florida days (at least). I'm pretty sure Doug is the reason Jeff was hired initially. But, to his credit (?), Rimer is enough of a lap dog that he kisses the hiney of whoever he needs to in order to stay employed.

I've never liked the guy and my understanding is that he isn't exactly well respected within the organization. But as with tons of incompetent people in the organ-eye-zation, no one seems to be the slightest bit interested in showing him the door.

Your clairvoyance is second only to mine, but Doug was involved in hiring Rimer (JF will confirm that)...

Don't fall short in dising Rimer as far as his respect in the league goes, he is well known and respected but just a horrible play by play guy.. Rimer knows a lot of people in the NHL, don't negate that.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Your clairvoyance is second only to mine, but Doug was involved in hiring Rimer (JF will confirm that)...

Don't fall short in dising Rimer as far as his respect in the league goes, he is well known and respected but just a horrible play by play guy.. Rimer knows a lot of people in the NHL, don't negate that.
Oh, Robert, I don't think they term your condition "clairvoyance" anymore ...

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:58 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I can't remember where I posted it, but after the new TV pairing was announced, I remember predicting that before too long, most of us on HF would be whining about Bill Davidge.

Am I a psychic?
Absolutely. Davidge is actually so annoying that I don't notice Rimer's inability that much anymore. Probably why he was hired....

I honestly think you could replace both of them with a magic 8 ball and a flow chart.

Man, I wish I lived out of market so I could watch the other feed. As it is, I can be happy I'm going to most of the games saving my ears for at least half of the season.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Hipster Letestu

There is only one word to describe FSOhio's production - amateurish. Here are my main problems with them:

Bill Davidge is possibly the worst color commentator in sports. He has about 5 adjectives and a couple phrases to describe anything going on and uses them repeatedly and incessantly.

Rimer is by far the worst play-by-play man in the business, it isn't even close. This man has never seen a penalty called against us that was justified. I don't mind some bias, but let's at least be honest.

The promos with the players look and sound as if they were shot in an abandoned warehouse by a middle school film student. They are downright embarrassing.

Their cameramen are generally ok, but every now and then they seem to find one that can't follow the puck to save his life.

Promos that last so long they end up missing a face-off or worse yet part of the game. I missed a goal last year because they were still showing a replay of some inconsequential play.

The game we had on VS a couple weeks ago really highlighted the complete hack job FSOhio does. I realize being a regional broadcast means we aren't going to have FOX or CBS NFL level talent and coverage, but I certainly think they good find some better production people and give them a shot.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Lol. I love the FSN presentation.

Reminds me of watching ahl and college games on tv as a kid when I lived in up state new york.

But that was in '85.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
The Boom Abides

I long for the days of " ThankYouJimDay"...

The Boom Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
BluejacketNut

Well I like how we get trumped on the HD channel by some community college and the the alternative channel is showing nothing. And John Michael's needs to be told to speak naturally, not while trying to smile when he's in the middle of talking

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
EdwardG
North!

Davidge is terrible. He seems like a really nice guy, but the cliches and repetition are very hard to take. I actually preferred Gare. He wasn't very good either, but I'll take dull over grating.

I've come around to the majority view on Rimer... weak. The Indians, Cavs, and CBJ all have weak TV play-by-play guys.

Quote:
The promos with the players look and sound as if they were shot in an abandoned warehouse by a middle school film student.
LOL, I was just thinking along those lines last night.

Another pet peeve is all the games in non-HD. The puck is hard enough to follow at times in HD.

Although I'm not a big fan of their on-air talent, I like the way the Cavs do their postgame. Lots of (Cavs) player interviews, the coach's interview, and then analysis and commentary at the desk (it's key though to have someone who isn't afraid to criticize the team). I HATE postgame interviews of opposing players when the CBJ lose. I'd find it more interesting to hear the postgame interviews of the other team's coach.

I don't mind Ray Crawford. Like his wife Dionne Miller who does the Cavs post-game, he's not very interesting, nor does he know much about the sport, but he's competent at just sort-of keeping the show moving along.

I don't understand the love for Jim Day, but John Michael's bubbliness is really hard to take. The guy just rubs me the wrong way, except when he interviews Raffi1.

Quote:
The game we had on VS a couple weeks ago really highlighted the complete hack job FSOhio does. I realize being a regional broadcast means we aren't going to have FOX or CBS NFL level talent and coverage, but I certainly think they good find some better production people and give them a shot.
Bingo! That Versus play by play guy was great.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not bagging on anybody with this post, well except for Billy D....

How many of us thought Billy was an UPGRADE over Gare?? I know I was one of them...

But, Gare did get better eventually, but the guy was absolutely BRUTAL in his first season...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
RichNash61

I have watched every game on mute-I just can not stand either of them-they suck real bad! I rather just hear nothing than listen to them!!!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Happy Pony

At least we don't have Jack Edwards.

Last edited by Happy Pony: 01-16-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: YT
Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:30 AM
OldCrusader

Has anyone mentioned an addition to the Rims drinking game? Just count the number of times he resets himself with the word "here" during the telecast. Talk about annoying!

OldCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Bingo! That Versus play by play guy was great.
Joe Beninati. If the CBJ brass are going to change PBP guys at some point, get him please.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Joe Beninati. If the CBJ brass are going to change PBP guys at some point, get him please.
He's good, so I don't think the Capitals will give him up. It's probably going to be John Michael and Davidge in the booth next season.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
He's good, so I don't think the Capitals will give him up. It's probably going to be John Michael and Davidge in the booth next season.
Save that post for a future FML entry.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
At least we don't have Jack Edwards.
I know how wrong that was, but still it cracks me up every time. The laugh is so evil!

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
arn29

We can rag on the announcers all we want, but I'll tell you one thing they get right, the HD picture quality of FSOhio is superior to the picture quality on NBC's NHL coverage. NBC compresses their original HD signal all to hell for their NHL games.

arn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn29 View Post
We can rag on the announcers all we want, but I'll tell you one thing they get right, the HD picture quality of FSOhio is superior to the picture quality on NBC's NHL coverage. NBC compresses their original HD signal all to hell for their NHL games.
Actually...

Your Cable Company compresses the hell out of NBC. Get an antenna and watch the station the way it's meant to be. It's awesome.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Happy Pony

They aren't the only ones prone to errors

This was on NHL network the other night.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:48 PM
skimp

"Alls" is not a word, Davidge.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Anyone else seeing Commercials for Dreamgirls (the nude bar).

Family friendly my ass...

01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
CBJ Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Anyone else seeing Commercials for Dreamgirls (the nude bar).

Family friendly my ass...
I saw the spot, too. Plus, I love the use of a swear word in complaining about the lack of family-friendliness.

CBJ Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
RichNash61

I dont give a crap about what the players dads are doing-show the game!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:25 PM
FlaggerX

I was furious tonight when the y went to commercial just as Boll and Lucic were starting to mix it up. the director should absolutely know better then that. You'd think they'd never seen a hockey game before.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote