HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Canada 2010: Boyle, Green, or Burns?

View Poll Results: choose one
Boyle 78 44.07%
Green 64 36.16%
Burns 35 19.77%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2009, 09:23 AM
amnesiac*

vCash: 500
Team Canada 2010: Boyle, Green, or Burns?

If you had to choose only one.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

Green

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
weems

Boyle. Hes the best out of the three and much less of a wildcard defensively then Green at this point.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Boyle and Green are BOTH considered locks to make the team, btw...Burns is bubble...

But I'd pick Green...how can you leave off the best offensive d-man in the NHL??

JohnnyMapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
Boyle and Green are BOTH considered locks to make the team, btw...Burns is bubble...

But I'd pick Green...how can you leave off the best offensive d-man in the NHL??
Quite simple.

Boyle and Green are pretty much a wash offensively while Boyle is better defensively.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:39 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Boyle. Hes the best out of the three and much less of a wildcard defensively then Green at this point.
You will have 2 or 3 strictly defensive-defensman...so that is not an issue...Green will be there for his offense and PP capabilities...

Old
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
weems

Quote:
You will have 2 or 3 strictly defensive-defensman...so that is not an issue...Green will be there for his offense and PP capabilities...
Thats fine but Boyle is a better player and is just as good as Green is offensively and also on the PP.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Quite simple.

Boyle and Green are pretty much a wash offensively while Boyle is better defensively.
They are not a wash offensively, IMO...

And who says Boyle's even betteer defensively? Not even sure thats true. Green is good all-around...

Old
01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Anyway...it doesn't matter....cause like I said, they are both locks....I like Boyle too,...

Old
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
weems

Quote:
They are not a wash offensively, IMO...

And who says Boyle's even betteer defensively? Not even sure thats true. Green is good all-around...
Yes they are basically a wash offensively. Even if Green is better its by the slimmest of margins.

I say Boyle is better defensively. I didnt know there was some site that you could go to that had definitive statements of whos better at each aspect of the game. Boyle doesnt make nearly as many costly giveaways that Green does. When I watch both play Boyle is much better when being pressured and he doesnt turn the puck over as much as Green.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Great! It's called opinions, dude...

It'll be a good defense.

Old
01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Dan Boyle

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

I would say Dan Boyle, he's the most complete of the 3

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
El Maestro

Mike Green just because he's my favorite defensemen, otherwise I would have take Boyle.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Chea*

Quote:

Why is Green a lock? Isn't he pretty lousy defensively?

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
amnesiac*

to me, the only locks are Pronger, Phaneuf, and probably Weber.

From there its balance between offense and defence for the other 4 spots. Niedermayer, Bouwmeester, probably Regehr for his toughness and defence, and one of either Green or Boyle for offense/PP unit.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd say Burns. He has size, offensive skill and defensive skill.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
VADEN

Green

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
to me, the only locks are Pronger, Phaneuf, and probably Weber.

From there its balance between offense and defence for the other 4 spots. Niedermayer, Bouwmeester, probably Regehr for his toughness and defence, and one of either Green or Boyle for offense/PP unit.
Agree with the 3 locks of Pronger, Phaneuf and Weber. Neids is a wildcard, he may not even be playing next year, or may even decline the invite. Jbo is probably a lock to make it. I like what Regehr brings but you already have the defence and toughness with Pronger and Weber, who are both better players than Regehr. I would like to see Burns and Green make it; however Boyle could just as easily be there for a bit more veteran flavour to the team.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Pronger - Bouwmeester
Phaneuf - Weber
Regehr - Boyle/Green

?

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Niedermayer - Boyle
Phaneuf - Weber
Bouwmeester - Burns

Green

Thats for me. If Niedermayer ever decides to retire and not play, move up Bouwmeester and put Regehr or Pronger there. I'd go with Regehr personnaly.

I'm sure hockey Canada will take Pronger no matter what but I would'nt. I think it will be a mistake like they always do.

As for the question. I'd take Boyle ahead of Green because I think he is better overall and less of a risk for turnover than Green is. I like Burns better in his role. We have enough guys that can run a PP that I would bring a more steady guy that can play the PK, so Burns over Green aswell.

I don't remember if teams dress 13 fowards and 7 defenceman in the olympic like they do in world championship but if yes, than Green is dress as the 7th D-man.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
God Bless Canada

I think all three have a credible shot of making it.

When I look at Canada's defence, I see a lot of options, but nobody who really stands out as a sure thing right now. The closest thing to a lock might be Robyn Regehr for our shutdown pairing role.

Guys who weren't in the mix at the start of the year (Weber) suddenly are. Guys who were viewed as locks (Phaneuf, Burns) at the start of the year didn't take the expected next step in their development.

I think there are as many as 15 defencemen who are in the mix of making this team (listed in no particular order):

Phaneuf, Green, Burns, Pronger, Weber, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Boyle, Campbell, Keith and Niedermayer (if he comes back) are all very credible candidates. Guys like Souray and Jovanovski are more longshots, and guys like M. Staal and Doughty could be on the taxi squad if the team wants a young guy in that role. (I'd much rather have a veteran leader).

The one thing that we need for 2010 is a greater emphasis on moving the puck from our defence. It was a glaring weakness in Turin. It didn't help that our top three puck-moving defencemen from Salt Lake - Niedermayer, Jovanovski and Brewer - weren't in Turin. But we didn't do an adequate job of replacing those three. So it opens the door for guys like Green, Weber and Boyle, gives them an advantage over some of the other guys. We still need your shut-down pairing (Regehr and ?, possibly Pronger), but we need a better puck-moving presence for the top four spots.

Our defence is in a state of flux right now. Our goaltending will be excellent, and we should have better results from our forwards in 2010, for various reasons. But the defence will be what makes us or breaks us in Vancouver.

If I had to pick my seven defencemen for Canada, as of right now, it would be Phaneuf, Regehr, Boyle, Pronger, Green, Bouwmeester and Niedermayer, with Weber sliding into Niedermayer's place if Nieds decides to pack it in.

One advantage that Burns and Green have is their performance at last May's World Championships. Burns was named the tourney's top defenceman. Green was a tourney's all-star. It's likely Burns will be on Canada again. If he has another strong showing, and he can carry over the momentum to next season, it could seal his birth on Canada's roster.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 01-21-2009 at 02:24 PM.
God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Agree with the 3 locks of Pronger, Phaneuf and Weber. Neids is a wildcard, he may not even be playing next year, or may even decline the invite. Jbo is probably a lock to make it. I like what Regehr brings but you already have the defence and toughness with Pronger and Weber, who are both better players than Regehr. I would like to see Burns and Green make it; however Boyle could just as easily be there for a bit more veteran flavour to the team.
I always considered a lock someone who is picked to go, not necessarily who does. I think if Nieds is playing, he's a lock. Whether he goes is another matter and up to him. I also think Jbo is a lock. Certainly, I think he should be a lock over Phaneuf.

When it comes to Green, Boyle, or Burns, I would pick Boyle and Burns, but I like the idea of a more complete defenseman over someone who fits more into a specific role, like Green. If I was putting a team together and wanted someone to make the offense, and the PP, pop a bit more I'd look at Green.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
the thing about green is, he is good defensively but he has some major errors at times.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
brawllover8

Green is the way to go!

brawllover8 is offline   Reply With Quote