HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Canada 2010: Boyle, Green, or Burns?

View Poll Results: choose one
Boyle 78 44.07%
Green 64 36.16%
Burns 35 19.77%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
  #76
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Boyle's a lot better defensively than most people give him credit for. He's obviously out there for the offence instead of the D, but he's not anywhere close to being the giant liability that he was made out to be.
I still dont think hes quite at Burns level yet.Burns is very good defensively and can throw his weight around at good times.

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
  #77
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
It's funny how angry people get when someone doesn't share their opinion.

Green is the best young defenseman in the league at the moment, which will be reflected in the Norris voting at the end of the year.

Just a fantastic all-around player, on both ends.

If it makes you guys happy for some reason to choose to believe that I don't watch the guy play, all the more power to you.

But he's a good deal better than either Boyle or Burns - 2 guys who'll never be in Norris contention.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
  #78
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
You can gurantee you've watched the two players more then me? Haha how can anyone actually even use that as your argument? Thats weak.
and here I thought that your argument that I must not watch the games was the weak one.

Quote:
You obviously havent watched much of Green considering in a earlier post you said that he's excellant in his own end and most capital homers wouldnt even agree with that. Hes awesome offensively and prolly one if not the best puckmover in the league currently but he certainly is not good in his own end.

You also said he very well might be the best all around defencemen currently in the NHL. How can someone be considered that when hes not elite in his own end and he gives the puck up a ton?
I think you may want to watch closer when you watch.

Most especially, you might want to notice that giveaways, for the most part, occur in the offensive zone when trying to make offensive plays, and not in the defensive zone.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:21 PM
  #79
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Another thing that shows your full of crap Zeke.

"Green really has the whole package. He's big and strong"

Since when is 6'1, 200 pounds considered big for a defender?
Come on, man, now you're just admitting that you don't watch the guy at all.

He's 6'1"-6'2", 208-210lbs, and loves to mix it up physically.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-capitals

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...y.asp?ID=28352

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?pag...2&service=page

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471242

Just a friendly word of advice - when you're attempting to talk down to somebody, make sure you have your facts straight.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
  #80
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's funny how angry people get when someone doesn't share their opinion.

Green is the best young defenseman in the league at the moment, which will be reflected in the Norris voting at the end of the year.

Just a fantastic all-around player, on both ends.

If it makes you guys happy for some reason to choose to believe that I don't watch the guy play, all the more power to you.

But he's a good deal better than either Boyle or Burns - 2 guys who'll never be in Norris contention.
Green good on the defensive side? Are you serious man?

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
  #81
Flashspec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
Dan Boyle gets my vote here (although he's probably already a lock on the team), he makes about 1 noticeable hiccup a game for the Sharks from what I've seen (including all the little things such as chipping the puck out of the zone, smart positioning on the puck etc.).

Flashspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:41 PM
  #82
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Am I speaking greek?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
  #83
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Now I know you guys are liking to portray me as the one with the bizarre opinion here.....but you do realize that Green finished 7th in Norris voting last year in his 2nd year in the league, ahead of the two guys in this thread (and ahead of a guy liek Weber as well).....and that he has only improved drastically in every area of the game this year over last year (and will be a shoo-in for top-5 Norris, likely in the top-3, and possibly even win the whole damn thing this year)?

You guys may want to consider the fact that it's your opinions that are the odd ones here, not mine.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
  #84
Lettuce
 
Lettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's funny how angry people get when someone doesn't share their opinion.

Green is the best young defenseman in the league at the moment, which will be reflected in the Norris voting at the end of the year.

Just a fantastic all-around player, on both ends.

If it makes you guys happy for some reason to choose to believe that I don't watch the guy play, all the more power to you.

But he's a good deal better than either Boyle or Burns - 2 guys who'll never be in Norris contention.


That's all I have to say.

Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:08 AM
  #85
Get To Our Game
Registered User
 
Get To Our Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Now I know you guys are liking to portray me as the one with the bizarre opinion here.....but you do realize that Green finished 7th in Norris voting last year in his 2nd year in the league, ahead of the two guys in this thread (and ahead of a guy liek Weber as well).....and that he has only improved drastically in every area of the game this year over last year (and will be a shoo-in for top-5 Norris, likely in the top-3, and possibly even win the whole damn thing this year)?

You guys may want to consider the fact that it's your opinions that are the odd ones here, not mine.
If Green wins the Norris I'll close my account or do something equally un-drastic.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:16 AM
  #86
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Now I know you guys are liking to portray me as the one with the bizarre opinion here.....but you do realize that Green finished 7th in Norris voting last year in his 2nd year in the league, ahead of the two guys in this thread (and ahead of a guy liek Weber as well).....and that he has only improved drastically in every area of the game this year over last year (and will be a shoo-in for top-5 Norris, likely in the top-3, and possibly even win the whole damn thing this year)?

You guys may want to consider the fact that it's your opinions that are the odd ones here, not mine.
haha yeah

EVERYONES WRONG EXCEPT ME

youre not convincing anyone

just move on already

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:43 AM
  #87
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Boyle is the most experienced, hardest working, best offensively (by a hair) and best defensively of the three.
Don't be a homer. Burns is clearly better than both defensively, and I am sure both Burns and Green are hard workers.

I like Mike Green, I really do. But he isn't good defensively; he is barely capable. The problem with Green is that he doesn't have an elite level of hockey sense, or even an NHL-level of defensive hockey sense (IMO). That is something that is very hard to overcome. He needs to become more disciplined in the defensive zone as well.

Also, Boyle is the textbook puckmoving defenseman, something that Canada needs. Green isn't really a puckmover. He is a tremendous skater and has a really good shot, but his first pass and playmaking could be better.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:47 AM
  #88
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 500
I'd definitely suggest Canada have a more passive defenseman, though. Someone who is always cool and collected, like Niedermayer. Pronger, Boyle, Weber, Phaneuf, Green, and even Bouwmeester don't really have that kind of game IMO.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 03:03 AM
  #89
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,808
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=zeke;17502684]and here I thought that your argument that I must not watch the games was the weak one.



I think you may want to watch closer when you watch.

Most especially, you might want to notice that giveaways, for the most part, occur in the offensive zone when trying to make offensive plays, and not in the defensive zone.[/QUOTE]

No tons of them occur in the defensive and neutral zone.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 03:17 AM
  #90
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Come on, man, now you're just admitting that you don't watch the guy at all.

He's 6'1"-6'2", 208-210lbs, and loves to mix it up physically.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-capitals

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...y.asp?ID=28352

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?pag...2&service=page

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471242

Just a friendly word of advice - when you're attempting to talk down to somebody, make sure you have your facts straight.
Hes closer to 6'1 and 208 then he is to 6'2 and 210. Thats not really big, its more average then anything.

Green is not big, guys like Weber, Phaneuf and Burns are what you consider big.

Anyways there is no further reason to argue with you seeing your opinion is off base. Mike Green is NOT excellant in his own end and hes not the best all around defender in the league, but if you want to look at the stats and come to that conclusion then so be it.

You say that my opinion and the others in this thread are the odd ones. Id like to see you start a thread on the main board saying Mike Green is possibly the best all around defencemen and also excellant in his own end and I bet you that more people would disagree with those words then agree with it.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 03:19 AM
  #91
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,808
vCash: 500
"But he's a good deal better than either Boyle or Burns - 2 guys who'll never be in Norris contention"

I bet you Boyle is in Norris contention THIS year.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
  #92
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,203
vCash: 500
I really don't understand the perception that Boyle is better than Green defensively.

Boyle is a career -30, was -29 last year and has been a "+" player twice in nine years.

Green is + 17 this year (despite leading d-men in PP goals) and is not nearly as bad defensively as some suggest.

He'll probably finish #1 in D scoring this year.

Canada leaving him off the roster would be akin to leaving Crosby off in 06, IMO.

Safe...shortsighted.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
  #93
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
As a guy that's been a fan of Boyle for a few years and touting him as one of the moreunderrated guys, I am glad people are finally giving Boyle respect. However its obvious you guys don't watch the guy play if you think he is decent in his own zone or better then Green.

Mike Green and Dan Boyle are not bad defensively - they just don't play defensively the way you guys are used to. They aren't going to make an amazing poke check or a bone crunching hit (well Green can make some of those) and they aren't going to take the guy out in front of the net. However they will make sure the puck spends as little time as possible in the defensive zone and makes sure their team stays on the attack (and you can't get scored on if you are on the attack).

Also if Canada is stupid enough to leave Green of its roster it better be hoping it doesnt find itself down by 2 with 10 minutes to go because thats when Green shines and they'll be regretting the move. He isn't a guy that will defend Canada's lead (thats what the rest of the guys are for) - he is a guy that makes anyone "sitting" against his team pay - amazing skater that can stick handle and gain the blue line on his own and then find himself open at the back pipe for a tap in one timer. Perfect example of a team sitting on a lead against Green is Caps/Flyers Game 1.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
  #94
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir150 View Post
If Green wins the Norris I'll close my account or do something equally un-drastic.
Double this

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
  #95
RocheBag
Registered User
 
RocheBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CBS, Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Dennis Wideman is better than Burns offensively, and better than Boyle/Green defensively. He should be in the conversation for sure.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
  #96
Riffo*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Boyle's a lot better defensively than most people give him credit for. He's obviously out there for the offence instead of the D, but he's not anywhere close to being the giant liability that he was made out to be.
That's true. i still consider Burns a better option as he's way ahead in that department. Mike green doesn't play defense and is a sorry excuse for a defenseman, exactly who you shouldn't be looking up to if you want to play defense. A modern-day Paul Coffey with of the talent.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
  #97
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,166
vCash: 500
First of all there is no defenseman in the NHL that can rush the puck like Mike Green. He is a throw back to the Paul Coffey/Bobby Orr STYLE of play. Dan Boyle is great, but he doesn't do that. He moves the puck well and he jumps into the play well. He, however, is not a solo game breaker like Green.

As to Green's ability in his own end, look at the stats below and compare Boyle and Green. Look at his even strenth goals against(2.16) compared to Boyle(2.43) and then factor in that Nabokov is in the San Jose net and Theodore in the Washington net. Green is not nearly as bad on defense as many here think.

Even Strength
Player PlayerGF PlayerGA PlayerDiff TeamGF TeamGA TeamDiff ESTOI TeamRank ESATOI TeamRank ESGF/60 ESGA/60 TotalDiff
Dan Boyle 43 31 +12 107 82 +25 765:58 2 17:24 2 3.37 2.43 +0.94
Zdeno Chara 53 31 +22 120 71 +49 905:07 1 19:15 2 3.51 2.05 +1.46
Mike Green 39 22 +17 105 88 +17 611:05 2 17:27 1 3.83 2.16 +1.67
Duncan Keith 52 29 +23 107 76 +31 795:10 2 19:23 1 3.92 2.19 +1.73
Nicklas Lidstrom 47 31 +16 113 92 +21 760:48 4 17:17 3 3.71 2.44 +1.26
Andrei Markov 45 35 +10 103 88 +15 740:06 3 16:05 4 3.65 2.84 +0.81
Chris Pronger 34 38 -4 91 88 +3 888:36 1 18:08 1 2.30 2.57 -0.27
Sheldon Souray 33 32 +1 93 89 +4 707:24 3 15:43 4 2.80 2.71 +0.09
Kimmo Timonen 35 30 +5 103 93 +10 706:17 3 15:41 5 2.97 2.55 +0.42
Shea Weber 37 31 +6 83 97 -14 760:56 3 16:54 2 2.92 2.44 +0.47

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
  #98
Riffo*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
First of all there is no defenseman in the NHL that can rush the puck like Mike Green. He is a throw back to the Paul Coffey/Bobby Orr STYLE of play.
What on earth do Orr and Coffey have in common ?

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
  #99
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
haha yeah

EVERYONES WRONG EXCEPT ME

youre not convincing anyone

just move on already
Everyone's wrong except me and the Norris Trophy voters.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
  #100
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Hes closer to 6'1 and 208 then he is to 6'2 and 210. Thats not really big, its more average then anything.

Green is not big, guys like Weber, Phaneuf and Burns are what you consider big.
You were wrong about his size, and anyone who watches him play would know it.

just admit you were wrong.

6'1"-6'2" - 208-210lbs is big and strong, and he plays like it, and is an excellent body checker and physical player.

Quote:
Anyways there is no further reason to argue with you seeing your opinion is off base. Mike Green is NOT excellant in his own end and hes not the best all around defender in the league, but if you want to look at the stats and come to that conclusion then so be it.

You say that my opinion and the others in this thread are the odd ones. Id like to see you start a thread on the main board saying Mike Green is possibly the best all around defencemen and also excellant in his own end and I bet you that more people would disagree with those words then agree with it.
yeah, funny thing.

But I'll take the Norris Trophy voters' opinions over a bunch of kids on the internet posting LOLZ and smilies.

crazy, I know.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.