HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Proposal and Rumor Thread (All proposals and rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Proposal and Rumor Thread (All proposals and rumors here)

All trade proposals will be done here. If they're not done in here to start with, they will be merged.

Like this one...

To Carolina-Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto-Brandon Sutter, 1st in 09, 4th in 09.

Go nuts!

Last edited by Sportacus: 02-18-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Thread includes rumors too, now.
Old
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
All trade proposals will be done here. If they're not done in here to start with, they will be merged.

Like this one...

To Carolina-Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto-Brandon Sutter, 1st in 09, 4th in 09.

Go nuts!
not too shabby, although i dont think their fans would like it. they seem to think sutter is the second coming of brind'amour, unfortunatly, to be a 2 way player you have to score with regularity. i'd do the trade though, the kid should be a great 3rd line center.

Old
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
not too shabby, although i dont think their fans would like it. they seem to think sutter is the second coming of brind'amour, unfortunatly, to be a 2 way player you have to score with regularity. i'd do the trade though, the kid should be a great 3rd line center.
See, I see him with enough offense to be a decent second line center. His defensive game is what puts him high on my list though. I'd love to have a top tier shut down center on this team. Someone young, who can grow with the core we're about to build.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

i think hes got the potentail to be great, but i think brindamour is one the best 2nd line centers ever. its too big a measureing stick for that kid. i really love the 1st, maybe 14-20th!!

try mine
kabs to calgary for nemisz, negrin and a 1st

Old
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
i think hes got the potentail to be great, but i think brindamour is one the best 2nd line centers ever. its too big a measureing stick for that kid. i really love the 1st, maybe 14-20th!!

try mine
kabs to calgary for nemisz, negrin and a 1st
The Calgary pick is likely to be a lot lower, in the mid 20 range. And I don't know all that much about either Nemisz, or Negrin. I would prefer them get a decent young roster player, a prospect, and a first rounder.

Yesterday I suggested, from Calgary...

Kaberle for Boyd, Backlund, 1st.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The Calgary pick is likely to be a lot lower, in the mid 20 range. And I don't know all that much about either Nemisz, or Negrin. I would prefer them get a decent young roster player, a prospect, and a first rounder.

Yesterday I suggested, from Calgary...

Kaberle for Boyd, Backlund, 1st.
I don't think there's a chance that Sutter gives us all of that. That's what I'd be asking if I were Burke, and it is fair market value for the best defencemen available, but I don't think Sutter would do it.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
you dont trade Kaberle for a 3rd liner ...you trade him for someone that you hope becomes a 1st liner and a 2nd liner at WORST

Old
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I don't think there's a chance that Sutter gives us all of that. That's what I'd be asking if I were Burke, and it is fair market value for the best defencemen available, but I don't think Sutter would do it.
Possibly not, but you're exactly right, that's something similar to what Burke should ask for. Some GM is going to bight, I have no doubts about that.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
ugotmybeef*

Good Idea LE but Sutter is at best a third liner. We need skilled top 6 forwards or top 4 defencemen.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Kaberle, Antropov

for

Alex Edler, Mason Raymond, Corey Schneider, 1st

Old
01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Good Idea LE but Sutter is at best a third liner. We need skilled top 6 forwards or top 4 defencemen.
I don't believe Sutter was drafted with the idea that he's going to be lucky to be a third line center. His ceiling is a top tier shut down center. And I believe his offense is enough that he could round out as a decent second line center.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
Kaberle, Antropov

for

Alex Edler, Mason Raymond, Corey Schneider, 1st
I have zero interest in Raymond. Keeps reminding me of Martin Kariya.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of someone else. Thought this kid used to be a Duck for some reason. Who am I thinking of?

Old
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of someone else. Thought this kid used to be a Duck for some reason. Who am I thinking of?
Bernier ?

I dont think he can be traded.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Toronto - New Jersey

Kaberle to New Jersey

Tedenby, Corrente and a 1st to Toronto.

Is another to consider.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:

Paul Kariya was a duck. Martin Kariya was one time playing for St.Louis. Oh for the Sutter comment, I just think if we're trading Kaberle we shoud be getting top end forwards and defencemen back. Nothing to disregard Sutter, but geting a third liner/shut down guy is alittle easier than getting top 6 forwards.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

I have zero idea why, but I was confusing Mason Raymond with Ryan Shannon.

Ryan Shannon
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=63053

Small skilled forward, out of NCAA program, just like Martin Kariya. And he had a short stint with Vancouver last season.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Paul Kariya was a duck. Martin Kariya was one time playing for St.Louis. Oh for the Sutter comment, I just think if we're trading Kaberle we shoud be getting top end forwards and defencemen back. Nothing to disregard Sutter, but geting a third liner/shut down guy is alittle easier than getting top 6 forwards.
Martin Kariya also played for the Canucks at one point.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
Kaberle to New Jersey

Tedenby, Corrente and a 1st to Toronto.

Is another to consider.
How does this trade look for Toronto , guys ?

Old
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Martin Kariya also played for the Canucks at one point.
You sure? These all the teams he's played for.
F. teams

SCL Tigers
Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Nikko Icebucks
Stjernen Fredrikstad
Espoo Blues
St. Louis Blues
Peoria Rivermen

Old
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
F. teams

SCL Tigers
Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Nikko Icebucks
Stjernen Fredrikstad
Espoo Blues
St. Louis Blues
Peoria Rivermen
Ya, it doesn't even list the St Louis Blues on hockeydb.com.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=49645

According to them, he never played in the NHL.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. I'm going to go over to the Canucks board, and ask them.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
See, I see him with enough offense to be a decent second line center. His defensive game is what puts him high on my list though. I'd love to have a top tier shut down center on this team. Someone young, who can grow with the core we're about to build.
As you likely know Brandon Sutter was the player I had selected and recommended for our Leafs in the 2007 draft with our 1st rounder before it was dealt away for Toskala and Bell.

Would love to have him on our Leafs and correct a previous wrong, a team needs that kind of player on a winning team as a shutdown/checking center.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
F. teams

SCL Tigers
Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Nikko Icebucks
Stjernen Fredrikstad
Espoo Blues
St. Louis Blues
Peoria Rivermen
Just to answer our question, it was Steve Kariya.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=27639

Old
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
As you likely know Brandon Sutter was the player I had selected and recommended for our Leafs in the 2007 draft with our 1st rounder before it was dealt away for Toskala and Bell.

Would love to have him on our Leafs and correct a previous wrong, a team needs that kind of player on a winning team as a shutdown/checking center.
What previous wrong is that? He was drafted before we would have had a chance to select him. The Leafs should have drafted 13th, but the pick belonged to St Louis, and Sutter was selected 11th. Last time I checked, 11 comes before 13.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
What previous wrong is that? He was drafted before we would have had a chance to select him.
Leafs traded their 1st and 2nd in 2007 + more to San Jose.

Then San Jose turned around and traded our 1st and 2nd round picks they just acquired to St. Louis for the 9th pick to get their guy Logan Couture. Sutter went 11th a couple of picks later.

If SJ can use our picks to move to 9th then why couldn't Leafs have done the very same with the same picks but selected Sutter instead of Couture in that spot?. That is what I would have done as Leafs GM to make young Sutter a Leaf today.

However I am not complaining that SJ took our 1st in 2007 as it was a conditional pick at their option, and with last years top 10 protected then San Jose could have have our 1st rounder this year.. Can you imagine the Leafs situation today if San Jose owned our 1st rounder as a result of JFJ desperation move to get Toskala and salary dump Bell?.

So having to cheer my boy Sutter on the Canes and trying to acquire him in trade now as you suggest, the least of two evils by a far measure.. We got were fortunate here truth be told as SJ could be in a potential lottery pick position today at our expense. Making things even worse is that JFJ now a part of SJ scouting would be involved in the process as to who the Sharks would have been possibly taking.

Last edited by Mess: 01-21-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs traded their 1st and 2nd in 2007 + more to San Jose.

Then San Jose turned around and traded our 1st and 2nd round picks they just acquired to St. Louis for the 9th pick to get their guy Logan Couture. Sutter went 11th a couple of picks later.

If SJ can use our picks to move to 9th then why couldn't Leafs have done the very same with the same picks but selected Sutter instead of Couture in that spot?. That is what I would have done as Leafs GM to make young Sutter a Leaf today.

However I am not complaining that SJ took our 1st in 2007 as it was a conditional pick at their option, and with last years top 10 protected then San Jose could have have our 1st rounder this year.. Can you imagine the Leafs situation today if San Jose owned our 1st rounder as a result of JFJ desperation move to get Toskala and salary dump Bell?.

So having to cheer my boy Sutter on the Canes and trying to acquire him in trade now as you suggest, the least of two evils by a far measure.. We got were fortunate here truth be told as SJ could be in a potential lottery pick position today at our expense. Making things even worse is that JFJ now a part of SJ scouting would be involved in the process as to who the Sharks would have been possibly taking.
By "previous wrong" you're implying the Leafs would even have gone your route. Nothing is certain, even if they had held onto that pick, there's a good chance they stand pat, and select Lars Eller, just as St. Louis did.

Closed Thread