HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Suggestion: Bieksa for Higgins

Old
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
VanAllen22

vCash: 500
Suggestion: Bieksa for Higgins

Would Montreal ever trade Higgins and throw in Brisebois for the likes of Kevin Bieksa and a 4th in 2009?

Does MTL need a righty that can log minutes on PK & PP plus add grit? If so is Bieksa the answer...thoughts?

1) Chipchura FOR Artyukhin

2) Higgins & Dandenault FOR Bieksa and 2009 5th

Giving you a healthy playoff lineup of:

Alex Tanguay - Saku Koivu - Alexei Kovalev
Sergei Kostitsyn - Robert Lang - Andrei Kostitsyn
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Evgeny Artyukhin
Guillaume Latendresse - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Kostopoulos

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Kevin Bieksa
Francis Bouillon - Josh Gorges

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

Last edited by VanAllen22: 01-22-2009 at 11:17 AM.
VanAllen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I really like Higgins, and I'd be tempted to.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
VanAllen22

It just seems to me that Bieksa's contract is fairly affordable and Higgins will eventually be taking time away from AK or SK. The need is at defense right now, but obviously the Habs have a lot of prospects waiting to play.

Next season 2 of the 4 young Dmen would have a crack at the 4-5-6 slot on the blueline, but a top 4 of Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek and Bieksa would be nuts

Old
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Souray44

I'm a Higgins fan and i'd make that move.

Higgins is a great 2 way forward with a great attitude. I love seeing the guys interviews, you can tell he loves the Habs. It would truly suck to see such a good guy and true Hab go but Bieksa is a more immediate need.

Regardless of what we have coming down the pipeline we have more NHL ready forwards now than we can handle and the same can't be said for D right at this moment. Our top 4 would be sick if we had Bieksa.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Puckhead58*

I would slightly change that trade.

I would trade Higgins + O'Byrne to Vancouver for Bieksa and a 4th instead.

The only reason I would trade O'Byrne instead of Brisebois is because Brisebois can sit in the pressbox and not miss out on developing his game. Brisebois would make a better #7 defencemen than O'byrne for that reason and since Breezer is a vet, he should be able to step in for injuries or whatever might happen. I don't think you could rely on O'Byrne for the same kind of versatility to be truthful.

I'm not a fan of Breezer at all....but if he is used as a #7 guy who plays when there are injuries and suspensions then he can be effective.....but when you use him as a regular and give him too much icetime, thats when he starts making a ton of mistakes and bone-head plays.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
crystal ball

Isn't Bieksa having a tough time this year? I've heard a lot of 'Nucks fans really crapping on him recently.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
HotPie

No. Bieksa is overrated. Besides, isn't he having a mediocre season?

Yay for trading us slumping players, awesome.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
VanAllen22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I would slightly change that trade.

I would trade Higgins + O'Byrne to Vancouver for Bieksa and a 4th instead.

The only reason I would trade O'Byrne instead of Brisebois is because Brisebois can sit in the pressbox and not miss out on developing his game. Brisebois would make a better #7 defencemen than O'byrne for that reason and since Breezer is a vet, he should be able to step in for injuries or whatever might happen. I don't think you could rely on O'Byrne for the same kind of versatility to be truthful.

I'm not a fan of Breezer at all....but if he is used as a #7 guy who plays when there are injuries and suspensions then he can be effective.....but when you use him as a regular and give him too much icetime, thats when he starts making a ton of mistakes and bone-head plays.
O'Bryne has value across the league, I would do Brisebois for cap purposes and Higgins for Bieksa and a 4th. Package O'bryne up to bring in a young power forward like Horton to replace Kovalev next year. If psb'l

Old
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
VanAllen22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post

Bieksa certainly took some stat hits losing Louongo, but he is only 28 and can play both ends of the ice. Higgins isn't exactly lighting it up this year either

Old
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
JaymzB

I doubt very much Vancouver would trade Bieska for Higgins right now (which isn't a shot at Higgins, but an acknowledgement of how well Bieska is playing).

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
VanAllen22

How about Artyukhin for Chipchura, I would like to see a TB pick involved as well. MTL needs a corner man with size to dig in the playoffs, and there are very few available. Thoughts?

Old
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Ummm hell yes. Is Bieksa not on pace for 50 points this year? (had he not been injured a couple games?) How is that slumping?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAllen22 View Post
Would Montreal ever trade Higgins and throw in Brisebois for the likes of Kevin Bieksa and a 4th in 2009?

Does MTL need a righty that can log minutes on PK & PP plus add grit? If so is Bieksa the answer...thoughts?
First of all, Brisebois is a friend of Carbs, and played with Muller. Furthermore, he was hired by BG as a 7th D but due to a poor performance by O'Byrne, he's taken over the 6th spot and is now only 12games away from his 1000th which he'd love to reach in Mtl.
At his salary, we more than happy to have him, he's UFA next season and might retire.

Higgins, is a RFA next summer.

I strongly doubt VAN let's go of their most productive D for possibly nothing come next summer.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Bieksa would be amazing. i'm a big fan of his. He's not great defensively, but he's solid, has a nasty demeanor and can contribute offensively...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
VanAllen22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Bieksa would be amazing. i'm a big fan of his. He's not great defensively, but he's solid, has a nasty demeanor and can contribute offensively...

exactly.

Old
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
exactly.
And that right handed shot from the point is exactly what we need for our PP. He is also willing and able as a fighter, unlike anyone else on our team...

Bieksa would be perfect.

Do you think he's avaiable, and if so why? Just a bigger need for a top 6 winger?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Joe Cole

Let's wait until 10 games of Higgins being back before we evaluate if we will get rid of a him, a high draft pick that we have cultivated.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post

So is Higgins

I would make that deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Isn't Bieksa having a tough time this year? I've heard a lot of 'Nucks fans really crapping on him recently.

what? lol, have you watched any games this year? LOL

he was not doing well last year after the accident but he is great this year.

higgins plus the brisebois for bieksa? anyday but canucks would be stupid to this trade

lol

it's funny when you post crap without even checking your facts for the sake of giving your opinion on something you have no idea.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Turbo

Can someone modify the title to add "proposal" in it?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Fozz

Quote:
How about Artyukhin for Chipchura, I would like to see a TB pick involved as well. MTL needs a corner man with size to dig in the playoffs, and there are very few available. Thoughts?
In an Artyukhin for Chipchura trade, the extra pick would have to be going to Tampa Bay, not from them.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First of all, Brisebois is a friend of Carbs, and played with Muller. Furthermore, he was hired by BG as a 7th D but due to a poor performance by O'Byrne, he's taken over the 6th spot and is now only 12games away from his 1000th which he'd love to reach in Mtl.
At his salary, we more than happy to have him, he's UFA next season and might retire.

Higgins, is a RFA next summer.

I strongly doubt VAN let's go of their most productive D for possibly nothing come next summer.
Since he is a RFA they have the right to match or compensation, so they would get something if Higgins went elsewhere.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
jcpenny

I'd do this trade. I love Bieksa and he fits our style perfectly. Hes a great puck mover, can create offense and hes a great skater. ive seen him struggle a bit this year but still he is what this team needs right now. I can see Higgins as a good return for Vancouver and they would have a good winger for Sundin.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Since he is a RFA they have the right to match or compensation, so they would get something if Higgins went elsewhere.
yeah and he can't really get elsewhere by himself, it must be a team interested in him (not the other way around) that makes him an offer sheet...and as you pointed out, the team who has the restricted free agent can always match the offer or choose to receive the compensation for the player departure(?). So Nucks aren't getting nothing.

Plus signing RFA of other teams is still rare (Oilers/Nucks not included).

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Exactly, a looming RFA still has enormous value, especially someone like Higgins who isn't coming off a huge stats year. Not comparable to a looming UFA at all.

As for Bieksa, he's having an off year but he's an outstanding young mobile D with tons and tons of upside. I'd trade Higgins for him. Brisbois isn't going anywhere (not that I'd be in tears), he's clearly looking to retire as a hab and it's not like he has huge trade value. Dandenault would be easy enough to throw in, he's only coming off a broken arm so he should be healthy when he returns. And like Brisbois he's UFA at season's end.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote