HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

TSN: O'Neill will not be traded

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 09:05 AM
jeffbear

vCash: 500
O'Neill Injured ... Put a Damper on Rumors

Jeff O'Neill injured his shoulder in Carolina's home loss to New Jersey on SAturday night, and did not make the trip to Columbus with the team for tonight's game with the Blue Jackets. While a team MIGHT still be interested in taking a flyer on an injured player, O'Neill probably took himself off the market with that timely injury.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Les Ouragans

Now if only I could decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing

Old
03-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Plan 9

I'd say it's a good thing.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Reign Nateo

There was a quote posted on the Canucks board that said that the injury to O'Neill was less serious than it appeared and he is now sitting out waiting to be traded. Take it for what it is worth...

Old
03-08-2004, 10:34 AM
jeffbear

Those rumors are incorrect. O'Neill has been plagued by a shoulder problem for much of the year, but had some serious pain on a mis-timed slapshot attempt on Saturday. My sources indicate he is in fact injured.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Peter Griffin

Why didn't the Canes make him a scratch for the last few games like the Caps did with Gonchar? I guess if O'Neill has been having troubles with the shoulder all season, it really wouldn't have mattered, but it's kind of unfortunate that he was injured a few days before the deadline.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Jeff O'Neill's shoulder injury will prevent the Carolina Hurricanes from dealing him at the deadline, TSN has learned.

O'Neill suffered a shoulder injury in the third period of the Hurricanes loss to New Jersey over the weekend. Sources say the injury is serious enough that he will be sidelined "indefinitely".

A decision on whether or not to undergo surgery or simply allow time to heal the injury will be made in the next 48 hours.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75532&hubName=nhl

Old
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Why didn't the Canes make him a scratch for the last few games like the Caps did with Gonchar? I guess if O'Neill has been having troubles with the shoulder all season, it really wouldn't have mattered, but it's kind of unfortunate that he was injured a few days before the deadline.
Posturing. If O'Neill had been taken out of the lineup while negotiations were still going on, there would have been a virtual firestorm around the 'Canes camp and Rutherford and the potential suitor wouldn't have been able to communicate without ten differant media sources providing speculation. Also, JR had never conceeded the fact that O'Neill was going to be dealt. He only hinted around it. It's kind of hypocritical to say you're not heavily shopping a player and then scratch him so he stays healthy for his next team. Everybody knew that Washington had to trade Gonchar. They had already started the process by trading Peter Bondra. Also, Gonchar was not in a slump and didn't need to prove that he could be effective.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Posturing. If O'Neill had been taken out of the lineup while negotiations were still going on, there would have been a virtual firestorm around the 'Canes camp and Rutherford and the potential suitor wouldn't have been able to communicate without ten differant media sources providing speculation. Also, JR had never conceeded the fact that O'Neill was going to be dealt. He only hinted around it. It's kind of hypocritical to say you're not heavily shopping a player and then scratch him so he stays healthy for his next team. Everybody knew that Washington had to trade Gonchar. They had already started the process by trading Peter Bondra. Also, Gonchar was not in a slump and didn't need to prove that he could be effective.
Say he has the flu, who cares if the media is specualting. At least it keeps O'Neill from being injured. If Rutherford couldn't get a good deal, then keep O'Neill. But now it doesn't matter as Rutherford won't even get to see what some teams may have offered O'Neill when it comes down to the wire. One game wasn't going to change O'Neill's value too much. Everyone knows what he's capable of doing. But one game can deem him untradeable...

Old
03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Say he has the flu. In any case, it doesn't matter now as Rutherford won't even get to see what some teams may have offered O'Neill when it comes down to the wire.
I still think that some teams needed to see more out of O'Neill before they would ante up the type of return that JR was looking for. If a player is slumping, you don't pull him from your lineup right before you trade him. You cross your fingers and hope he gets hot so your return will be greater. It's a gamble, but it's one that you have to take if you're JR. I'd much rather O'Neill get hurt than to trade him for the tripe that fans were offering on this site, as incredulous as that may be.

Gonchar has been producing all season. Sitting out two or three games isn't going to cause anybody to lose any sleep as far as his production is concerned. O'Neill has been slumping almost the entire season. If you want to increase his value, increase his production. You simply don't do that by sitting him in the press box.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneflyer
Now if only I could decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing
I'm more in the agreement with you. I'm going to wait until how this roster looks like during training camp before I write my "Rutherford must go" poster.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Say he has the flu, who cares if the media is specualting. At least it keeps O'Neill from being injured. If Rutherford couldn't get a good deal, then keep O'Neill. But now it doesn't matter as Rutherford won't even get to see what some teams may have offered O'Neill when it comes down to the wire. One game wasn't going to change O'Neill's value too much. Everyone knows what he's capable of doing. But one game can deem him untradeable...
as much as the canes might need what he wouldve brought back, i for one wouldve been upset if we traded him and this injury occurred the next game. i dont want any other team to get screwed. he obviously has had this problem the whole season - its been mentioned during games every now and then all year. i was upset at first when hearing this, having resigned myself to the fact he is gone - but everything happens for a reason. now people may understand a little better why he struggled, and now the canes can continue taking their time trading him if they have to. they could still trade him at the draft. not to mention im sure teams who arent just looking at him as just a playoff player this season are still interested. if he gets traded i would like to see him go somewhere that will want him long term. i dont think they made the wrong decision playing him - it sends the wrong message to everyone if he sits. he would have been very vocal about it, which wouldve been ugly. we also dont know how close jr actually was to trading him - maybe it wasnt as imminent as we all thought.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
I still think that some teams needed to see more out of O'Neill before they would ante up the type of return that JR was looking for. If a player is slumping, you don't pull him from your lineup right before you trade him. You cross your fingers and hope he gets hot so your return will be greater. It's a gamble, but it's one that you have to take if you're JR.
Well were there any scouts at the last game? I really doubt that there are any seriously interested teams that would back out of a deal because O'Neill was scratched for the last game. He's a proven goal scorer at this level, if they were indeed serious they could've easily checked him out in any of the games in the previous couple weeks.

Quote:
I'd much rather O'Neill get hurt than to trade him for the tripe that fans were offering on this site, as incredulous as that may be.
Well, fans don't make the deal. Very rarely do fans get the trade values correct, or even close.

Quote:
Gonchar has been producing all season. Sitting out two or three games isn't going to cause anybody to lose any sleep as far as his production is concerned. O'Neill has been slumping almost the entire season. If you want to increase his value, increase his production. You simply don't do that by sitting him in the press box.
Unless O'Neill had a huge game, I doubt his value would've increased too much. Like I've said already, he's a proven player who happens to be having an off year. One game isn't going to change his value much. Either a team sees this year as an off-year and has his value fairly high or the see this year as the start of a downward spiral for O'Neill. Either way, one game won't change much.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
they could still trade him at the draft.
The Canes would've got more value for him entering the playoffs then at the start of a very uncertain off-season. With the uncertainty of a lockout, it may be awhile before the Canes can trade O'Neill, and even then, who knows what his value will be? For all we know the UFA age could be lowered making him a UFA. Hopefully everything works out for you guys, but with the uncertainty of the new CBA, I wouldn't be too confident that O'Neill's value is going to rise.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:24 PM
bleedgreen

peter griffin, you cant compare gonchars situation to oneills for one big reason. trading oneill was never the done deal that gonchar was. mcfee said it was going down, gonchar asked for it, everyone knew the teams involved-and the negotiations were obviously at a breaking point when they sat him. it was probably at the other teams' request that he sit coming back from injuries like he was. oneills injury wasnt as known - im sure they were hoping he could play through it. jr said the whole time that it was never for sure that they were trading him, so why would he sit unless he was lying? i think this says more to jr's integrity than poor decision making. there is no way oneill would have accepted not playing, he wouldve freaked - the team would have sided with him and it wouldve been ugly. there really isnt a comparison to gonchar.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
The Canes would've got more value for him entering the playoffs then at the start of a very uncertain off-season. With the uncertainty of a lockout, it may be awhile before the Canes can trade O'Neill, and even then, who knows what his value will be? For all we know the UFA age could be lowered making him a UFA. Hopefully everything works out for you guys, but with the uncertainty of the new CBA, I wouldn't be too confident that O'Neill's value is going to rise.
maybe so, but i dont think its going to drop any, either. you also have all the other teams presently out of the playoffs but may have a chance next season(whenever) bidding on him - instead of just contenders this season. personally, im just not that upset about it....most of us have said all along we would rather not see him go unless its a great deal.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Peter Griffin

I'm not comparing it to Gonchar's situation. All I'm saying is that with O'Neill injured, he's unable to be dealt when his value may be at it's greatest(even though he's having a poor season). Scratching him Saturday night would've avoided this. If he has indeed been injured for most of the season, then obviously he couldn't have been dealt anyway(damaged goods), but I don't know the whole situation regarding his injury.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
I'm not comparing it to Gonchar's situation. All I'm saying is that with O'Neill injured, he's unable to be dealt when his value may be at it's greatest(even though he's having a poor season). Scratching him Saturday night would've avoided this. If he has indeed been injured for most of the season, then obviously he couldn't have been dealt anyway(damaged goods), but I don't know the whole situation regarding his injury.
what if they hadnt traded him by today? the have a game tonight, too. that wouldve been 3/4 days of him sitting with the whole team and communtiy waiting to see what the future of the team woould be. what if the deal changed between saturday and today and it was no longer happening for now....and they HAD sat him? it would have looked truly bush league-rutherford obviously wasnt that close to trading him yet.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:50 PM
jeffbear

Agreed ... two different situations entirely, because trading O'Neill was never Rutherford's objective in the first place. As I've been saying around here ever since the speculation came up, there was no compelling reason to trade they guy. If they got a great offer, then sure ... take a look and make a decision based on whether it makes the club better nor not.That ALWAYS makes sense ... but O'Neill makes a lot less than other guys with his career numbers make, so he's always been a fairly reasonable option for Carolina to keep.

Old
03-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear
Agreed ... two different situations entirely, because trading O'Neill was never Rutherford's objective in the first place. As I've been saying around here ever since the speculation came up, there was no compelling reason to trade they guy. If they got a great offer, then sure ... take a look and make a decision based on whether it makes the club better nor not.That ALWAYS makes sense ... but O'Neill makes a lot less than other guys with his career numbers make, so he's always been a fairly reasonable option for Carolina to keep.
Exactly, and if you want a player to struggle please let it be on his contract year. :p

This would give the chance for Carolina to show good faith to Jeff O'Neill and give him a raise anyway to prove their loyalty to him. Else he's probably gone after his contract next season runs out.

Old
03-08-2004, 05:24 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
...My sources indicate he is in fact injured.
For awhile, Jeff, I've been trying to figure out who you are. You always sound like you are close to information regarding the Canes. Did I miss something?

Old
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
jeffbear

Naah ... I'm nobody. I just have some friends in the right places to pick up the odd tidbit of info from time to time.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Naah ... I'm nobody. I just have some friends in the right places to pick up the odd tidbit of info from time to time.
Hey, we're all somebody! :p

Closed Thread