HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Boston-Islanders

Old
01-22-2009, 06:58 PM
SlickM32

vCash: 500
Boston-Islanders

Not from Bruin37 or w/e who made like 10000 boston proposals...

to Boston:

Doug Weight
Bill Guerin

to New York Islanders:

Chuck Kobasew
3rd rounder

I mean NYI isn't going to need these guys after this season and Kobasew is a 20 goal scorer plus Boston might need to shed him anyways next season for cap room, and so might as well go for it this season.

Lucic-Savard-Kessel
Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder
Guerin-Weight-Bergeron
Axelsson-Yelle-Thornton

Don't know what more NYI wants, maybe could get more in separate deals, but 2.33 for 2 more season for a 20 goal scorer isn't bad for 2 guys who are gone after this season, not to mention that separate deals are more likely to land picks and prospects, not NHL players.

I'd be willing to add a lower tier prospect from Boston like Byron Bitz or Martins Karsums.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I'd do it.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonfan32 View Post
Not from Bruin37 or w/e who made like 10000 boston proposals...

to Boston:

Doug Weight
Bill Guerin

to New York Islanders:

Chuck Kobasew
3rd rounder

I mean NYI isn't going to need these guys after this season and Kobasew is a 20 goal scorer plus Boston might need to shed him anyways next season for cap room, and so might as well go for it this season.

Lucic-Savard-Kessel
Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder
Guerin-Weight-Bergeron
Axelsson-Yelle-Thornton

Don't know what more NYI wants, maybe could get more in separate deals, but 2.33 for 2 more season for a 20 goal scorer isn't bad for 2 guys who are gone after this season, not to mention that separate deals are more likely to land picks and prospects, not NHL players.
They're much more valuable to the Islanders now (and in the next couple years possibly) than Kobesaw and a 3rd rounder would be.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The Isles may try to resign one or both players. They'll need some vet leadership to help the kids develop, and both guys have said they want to stay on the Island. Guerin also has an NTC. So, I'm not completely sure either guys is moved.

If they do get moved, the Isles will want picks and prospects. Kobasew is not going to be of interest.

Since Boston doesn't have a 2nd rounder this year, they are probably out of the equation.

01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
SlickM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
They're much more valuable to the Islanders now (and in the next couple years possibly) than Kobesaw and a 3rd rounder would be.
Yes, but Kobasew is only 26, so he isn't like 30 or something AND one of two of Guerin and Weight could pull a Tkachuk or Weight and re-sign with the Isles after the season, sending them to Boston wouldn't necessarily impact that.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonfan32 View Post
Yes, but Kobasew is only 26, so he isn't like 30 or something AND one of two of Guerin and Weight could pull a Tkachuk or Weight and re-sign with the Isles after the season, sending them to Boston wouldn't necessarily impact that.

Weight has specifically said that he won't resign if traded.

Kobasew is not a very desirable trade chip. he has never scored 40 points in his NHL career and is not particularly gritty. I don't see him offering much beyond somebody like Andy Hilbert. I'm fairly certain that a rental package including Weight and Guerin will return something better than that. He also plays the one position where the Isles do have depth (Okposo, Hunter).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:29 PM
bigbadbruins1

I would love this as a bruins fan. bring back guerin( 30+ goal scorer in his time with us) and weight, a proven consistent player in the game. especially because we need to lose salary.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

Kobasew is not a very desirable trade chip. he has never scored 40 points in his NHL career and is not particularly gritty. I don't see him offering much beyond somebody like Andy Hilbert. I'm fairly certain that a rental package including Weight and Guerin will return something better than that. He also plays the one position where the Isles do have depth (Okposo, Hunter).
If anything, I'd say that's the main aspect of his game which makes him desirable. He plays the body fairly consistently, drives to the net, and can even get under the skin of opponents. The thing you have to be concerned about with Chuck is his tendency to get injured.

All things considered though, if healthy, he's probably good for 20+ goals, 100+ hits, and a fight or two. Hilbert is pretty terrible comparison in terms of what he can bring to a team.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:

I think this is a brutal proposal, for the record. But you clearly don't watch a lot of Bruins games if your knock on Kobasew is that he is "not particularly gritty." He's injury prone, he's a streaky scorer for sure, but he's not afraid to get to the net and mix it up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

No interest in Kobasew, we need more defensemen.

Stuart or Lashoff?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Hipster Doofus

I'll pass. Our top two scorers for a 2nd/3rd line winger and a throwaway mid rounder? I'd rather just resign them.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I think this is a brutal proposal, for the record. But you clearly don't watch a lot of Bruins games if your knock on Kobasew is that he is "not particularly gritty." .
No offense, but I really detest this type of argument. "If you don't share my view of Joe Hockeyplayer, that means you don't ever watch him...." Believe it or not, it is possible for two reasonably informed guys to watch the same player, and reach different conclusions.

I also think you are misunderstanding my take on this player. I didn't say he was "soft." I just meant that his game is not about muscle and toughness.

But, that said, I suppose it didn't come out right and maybe was an unfair characterization. So, I'm actually going to concede this point.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
If anything, I'd say that's the main aspect of his game which makes him desirable. He plays the body fairly consistently, drives to the net, and can even get under the skin of opponents. The thing you have to be concerned about with Chuck is his tendency to get injured.

All things considered though, if healthy, he's probably good for 20+ goals, 100+ hits, and a fight or two. Hilbert is pretty terrible comparison in terms of what he can bring to a team.

Hibert has been great this year. Excellent PK'er, fiesty, and was on close to 20 goal pace before getting hurt. I see these two guys as very comparable players.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:13 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
No interest in Kobasew, we need more defensemen.

Stuart or Lashoff?
Lashoff

I don't think both go to the same destination, if they do Boston would likely need to do a package such as

1st rounder
Matt Lashoff
Chuck Kobasew
Zach Hamill

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
Lashoff

I don't think both go to the same destination, if they do Boston would likely need to do a package such as

1st rounder
Matt Lashoff
Chuck Kobasew
Zach Hamill
This is too much, IMO. Take out Kobasew and maybe add something from the Isles side.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Hibert has been great this year. Excellent PK'er, fiesty, and was on close to 20 goal pace before getting hurt. I see these two guys as very comparable players.
Andy Hilbert has never even broken the 10 goal plateau in his career, let alone 20. Kobasew is younger by a year and has twice scored 20 goals already. I'm not part of the kobasew fan club, and I said before that this trade proposal was bogus, but come on. You can't honestly believe that Hilbert is as good as Kobasew.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Andy Hilbert has never even broken the 10 goal plateau in his career, let alone 20. Kobasew is younger by a year and has twice scored 20 goals already. I'm not part of the kobasew fan club, and I said before that this trade proposal was bogus, but come on. You can't honestly believe that Hilbert is as good as Kobasew.

Let's see:

Hilbert: 8 goals/17 points in 35 games
Kobasew: 8 goals/25 points in 35 games.

Help me to see the big difference here. Both guys were scoring at close to 20 goal paces. Hilbert, however, was killing penalities and playing a defensive role.

I'd agree that Kobasew has been slightly better before this season, but Hilbert broke through nicely this year and, right now, I think he is the better all round forward.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Let's see:

Hilbert: 8 goals/17 points in 35 games
Kobasew: 8 goals/25 points in 35 games.

Help me to see the big difference here. Both guys were scoring at close to 20 goal paces. Hilbert, however, was killing penalities and playing a defensive role.

I'd agree that Kobasew has been slightly better before this season, but Hilbert broke through nicely this year and, right now, I think he is the better all round forward.
How does that back up your argument? Same number of games, 8 less points. And despite your belief to the contrary, Kobasew is ten times grittier than Hilbert. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How does that back up your argument? Same number of games, 8 less points. And despite your belief to the contrary, Kobasew is ten times grittier than Hilbert. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
Hilbert is scoring just as much as Kobasew despite being used in a defensive role.

And, yeah, Kobasew may be more gritty than Hilbert (who isn't the least bit gritty) but Hilbert brings a lot more to the ice overall. He is one of the better PK'ing forwards in the league.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I think you're underrating Kobasew here a bit. He's very gritty, and pretty damn good defensively as well. But I just don't see the Isles taking him back because he's not really a long term asset like one of our better prospects could be.... Which prospects would the Isles be interested in for either (or both) of them/?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
Hilbert is pretty terrible
Understatement-of-the-decade.

That said, as important as solid young prospects are to a rebuild..... a solid veteran presence is of equal importance as a guiding light to the young talent.

This proposed trade leaves the Islanders with neither.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
The Depahted

Kobasew is a solid defensive player, plays much bigger than he is, and is fast as the wind. Hilbert has a lot of hockey sense and is very good defensively, but he's pretty slow and, quite frankly, is a wuss.

And I don't see why the B's would make this trade, even though the value is close to fair. I'd rather have Chuckie than Guerin (on this Bruins team. Guerin is definitely better, however, but Kobasew's skill set is a greater need for the B's right now, IMO) , and Weight isnt that much of a need.

The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Understatement-of-the-decade.

That said, as important as solid young prospects are to a rebuild..... a solid veteran presence is of equal importance as a guiding light to the young talent.

This proposed trade leaves the Islanders with neither.

I think the Bruin's fans in this thread are confusing the Hilbert who is on the Island with the Hilbert who played for the Bruins. In fact, he is far from being a "wuss," is a pretty decent skater, and has developed into an excellent defensive forward (at least in the sense of killing penalties and such). he doesn't have a physical game, but also doesn't back down. I still maintain that he is every bit as useful overall as Kobasew.

And, yeah, solid vets are useful. Kobasew is hardly a leader though. He is streaky, limited player. Not the kind of guy you want to serve as a role model for your developing young kids.

Old
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
I think you're underrating Kobasew here a bit. He's very gritty, and pretty damn good defensively as well. But I just don't see the Isles taking him back because he's not really a long term asset like one of our better prospects could be.... Which prospects would the Isles be interested in for either (or both) of them/?

I can't say because I am not all that familiar with the B's system.

I expect that some combo of a 2nd rounder and a OK prospect will get Weight. I expect similar value for Guerin.