HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: The world is normal...the sun came up and the devils won

Old
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
No reason to freak out,but something needs to be done with Plekanec...love the guy,but has been brutal since the beginning of the season and is starting to hurt his line.

Any of you guys remember how he was on fire during pre season?

If there's any one playing soft in our team it's him. He enters the zone with the puck and is driven to the boards everytime, loses his 1 on 1 battles too easily.Hell sometimes he won't even bother engaging the 1 on 1 battle, just because he knows he won't win it.

He looks totally lost out there, like he's just trying whatever.

Pleky needs to sit for a few games.

I still have faith in him though, he's a very good player and just how he progressed his first 3 years, that's impressive.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 01-22-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The team needs help on defense. This has been obvious for a long time now and I'm surprised Gainey hasn't done anything to fix it yet. They really need someone who can move the puck and someone who can actually handle the play along the boards behind the net. Our defense (I won't name names) struggles with teams that can fore check.

I'm not overly worried about the offense because they've been missing three of the top forwards and we can't expect rookies or Lapierre to lead this team.

Price looked okay last night, not his best game. But again, he is just getting back so some rust had to be expected.

People need to slow down the panic train.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
If I was Carbo, I'd lace 'em up and show the boys how it's done.

But in all seriousness, I'm still very concerned about this team (and no, not because of back to back losses, it was clear during win streaks too). Whether we win during the season or not, I'm still in doubt that they can be a successful playoff team. Too many wildly inconsistent players and too many pretty plays. I know, I know, we sound like broken records, but we lack that net crashing hunger. We don't need 10 Lucic types, but we need more big bodies driving hard to the net on plays (and not Kostopoulos types, but guys that actually score that way. Think Antropov who scores tons of his goals this way). The endless perimeter passing doesn't usually work in tight checking playoff hockey.

I still have my fingers crossed that Bob will deal from our depth to acquire another puck moving defenseman and bring in a guy who fits the description above. And don't wait for the deadline. Get 'er done. These needs will not go away and we can't go far in the playoffs without addressing them. IMO

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:16 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Well thanks for (not saying Euro). Now nobody will confuse you with any of those idiots who think soft and euro are synonyms.
...great pick up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
The Habs needs some top end elite offensive talent. We go on and on about our prospects while Parise dominates.
+1, BG is not the type of aggresive GM we need at this point. i find he has done a great job building this team from scratch with draft picks. now we need him to be aggressive and be a stand out GM, by making that big trade to bring the SUPERSTAR that the Habs fans have been waiting for over the last 20 years !!!! unfortunately BG is not that type of GM, he is very conservative. He doesn't want to give up on the young guns.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-22-2009 at 08:18 AM.
HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:42 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
+1, BG is not the type of aggresive GM we need at this point. i find he has done a great job building this team from scratch with draft picks. now we need him to be aggressive and be a stand out GM, by making that big trade to bring the SUPERSTAR that the Habs fans have been waiting for over the last 20 years !!!! unfortunately BG is not that type of GM, he is very conservative. He doesn't want to give up on the young guns.
Missing on Parise and Getzlaff didnt help either

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
HotHabsFan*

koivu's back and has the C, expect kovy to pout for a couple of games !!! pleks is the player the worries me, 27 yo that has to produce or be gone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
The team needs help on defense. This has been obvious for a long time now and I'm surprised Gainey hasn't done anything to fix it yet. They really need someone who can move the puck and someone who can actually handle the play along the boards behind the net. Our defense (I won't name names) struggles with teams that can fore check.

I'm not overly worried about the offense because they've been missing three of the top forwards and we can't expect rookies or Lapierre to lead this team.

Price looked okay last night, not his best game. But again, he is just getting back so some rust had to be expected.

People need to slow down the panic train.
are you really ? because BG is not known for being aggressive. he is just a little too slow for my liking.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-22-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old
01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Instead of rushing Price back, they should have started Denis a game or two and sent Price to Hamilton for a week.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
The Habs needs some top end elite offensive talent. We go on and on about our prospects while Parise dominates.
IMO its the other way around, this team better defensmen. Defensmen that can play better in their zone, more poised, that dont turn the puck over every time they get pressured, who can give the puck to their forwards and give the team a better transition game. The offense is fine, the problem is definately the defense.

Aside from Markov, this team doesnt have any real offensive D/puck mover that skate the puck out of the zone and create offense. In an ideal world, Markov would play with a D of is caliber (Bouwmeester/Kaberle type). Komisarek is a premier shutdown guy with no real offensive upside, hed form an awsome duo with Hammer IMO. Gorges is a perfect 5th with a lot of versatility. Bouillon , who is overrated by many here, is just a hard working depth player with no real strong attributes to his game while Brisebois is at the end of his career. If we do get that D at the deadline, this is how the D should look like:

Markov-???
Hammer-Komi
Gorges-Dandenault/Bouillon /Breezer

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
la25ecoupe

Patches - Lang - Kovalev
AK46 - Plek - SK74
Stew - Koivu - Dags
Lats - Laps - Kosto

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
koivu's back and has the C, expect kovy to pout for a couple of games !!! pleks is the player the worries me, 27 yo that has to produce or be gone !
He got major confidence problem since last playoffs, nothing seems to work for him.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:23 AM

Looking at Kovalev play...I don't think a lack of effort is the problem

He looks like a guy who is thinking more in terms of accumulating points, rather than doing whatever he has to, to make the team win.

He always wants to make the play to collect that assist or get that goal. Last year, he deferred to his linemates alot more, this year he just looks like he's trying to do everything to make sure he's on that scoreboard. I don't think he's doing it maliciously, I do think he's trying to do well and secure a new contract, but he's got to stop trying to do it all by himself

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
are you really ? because BG is not known for being aggressive. he is just a little too slow for my liking.
He can't be very agressive, we are right near the cap so we can't just go add a 5-6 mil d-man for picks or prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Looking at Kovalev play...I don't think a lack of effort is the problem

He looks like a guy who is thinking more in terms of accumulating points, rather than doing whatever he has to, to make the team win.

He always wants to make the play to collect that assist or get that goal. Last year, he deferred to his linemates alot more, this year he just looks like he's trying to do everything to make sure he's on that scoreboard. I don't think he's doing it maliciously, I do think he's trying to do well and secure a new contract, but he's got to stop trying to do it all by himself
I don't find Kovalev is playing any different than last year. There are 2 things affecting his points total, the PP is down by like 6-7% and Plekanec is a shadow of his former self. Those 2 things easily account for the difference.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-22-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
otto bond

It's clear that if they want to make a run, this team needs some tweaking at the top 6 (CENTER) and at the Top 4 on the back end.
I'm so unhappy with Pleakanec's numbers, what's wrong? Don't tell me it's Kovy cause Pleakanec played himself in this rut. He is just not a #1 center.
On the back end,Gorges has been a surprise but in all honesty, he is a bit out of the box at this point of his career. One thing is for sure, I have no problem with him playing 18 minutes a game.
It's obvious that Lecavalier would be great, but at what price?
JB is the dream on the back end but it's like a lotto.

To conclude, BG needs to help out Carbs. Lots of ammo but we need a few different choice of weapons.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
It's clear that if they want to make a run, this team needs some tweaking at the top 6 (CENTER) and at the Top 4 on the back end.
I'm so unhappy with Pleakanec's numbers, what's wrong? Don't tell me it's Kovy cause Pleakanec played himself in this rut. He is just not a #1 center.
On the back end,Gorges has been a surprise but in all honesty, he is a bit out of the box at this point of his career. One thing is for sure, I have no problem with him playing 18 minutes a game.
It's obvious that Lecavalier would be great, but at what price?
JB is the dream on the back end but it's like a lotto.

To conclude, BG needs to help out Carbs. Lots of ammo but we need a few different choice of weapons.
I think another puck moving d-man is the priority. Even with Plekanec having a crappy year, we still have 3 good centermen plus Lapierre having a very good stretch.

I don't think you'll see Gainey overpay for anybody, it's just not his style, plus, it's not do or die for us this year. Yes we have UFA's that will not return, but we can keep the ones we want and we have young players(especially on the wing) ready to step in.

Old
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Again, wanting to make a run 'cause it's the centennial is the best way to panic and make stupid trades. I want a great team for years to come, Red Wings style, who cares if we win this year or not, centennial or not. I want to see Gainey building a playoff style team, tougher top 6, grittier guys and I would love if our org. would believe in getting those players as well. It's a beginning with MaxPac and D'Ago and I hope they'll still be heading this way.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't find Kovalev is playing any different than last year. There are 2 things affecting his points total, the PP is down by like 6-7% and Plekanec is a shadow of his former self. Those 2 things easily account for the difference.
It's a lot easier just pinning everything on Kovy though. The PP is down because he is a puck hog, Pleks is playing badly because he's stuck with Kovy, Kovy is pouting, Kovy is playing for a contract etc.etc.

Bottom line his center is playing badly and won't compete for fear of being hurt it seems. He doesn't do what Koivu does though they are of similar size. If anybody should hold up to avoid injury it's Koivu with his luck but he's always getting his nose dirty.

Lastly, if the coach plays lines intact during powerplays then expect our PP to suck even more than it does now. The PP unit is supposed to create competition to aspire to the first PP unit. Guys from the second unit want to be on the first unit and pile up points for better contracts. Not our coach though, why try to figure it out and get the PP going when you can just play your lines intact including your fourth line?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
It's a lot easier just pinning everything on Kovy though. The PP is down because he is a puck hog, Pleks is playing badly because he's stuck with Kovy, Kovy is pouting, Kovy is playing for a contract etc.etc.
Bottom line his center is playing badly and won't compete for fear of being hurt it seems. He doesn't do what Koivu does though they are of similar size. If anybody should hold up to avoid injury it's Koivu with his luck but he's always getting his nose dirty.

Lastly, if the coach plays lines intact during powerplays then expect our PP to suck even more than it does now. The PP unit is supposed to create competition to aspire to the first PP unit. Guys from the second unit want to be on the first unit and pile up points for better contracts. Not our coach though, why try to figure it out and get the PP going when you can just play your lines intact including your fourth line?
I wasn't pinning everything on Kovalev, the Habs are one of the better teams in the NHL.

But if you or others think Kovalev is playing like he was last year, I'd suggest you look more closely. He's playing like a guy more concerned with putting up stats than winning the game and again, I stress that I don't mean that he's doing this maliciously. It's just human nature.

I'm not terribly worried, I think the Habs are doing much better than most people are giving them credit for, I also don't buy into the theory that they're not a playoff team. But Kovalev IMO, is going to have to really pick up his play post All-star game...once he does that, so will Plekanec.

While Plekanec is Kovalev's center, Kovalev pretty much controls the play and it's up to HIM as the best forward on this team to be the leader on his line.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I predicted this last week,and I said it was going to be 5 really hard games.Ottawa got a point from us,now after the break we got Tampa who is playing great hockey and resting at home and then the Panthers who we always struggle against.

These 2 games are very important IMO cause of our though February schedule

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Habs

Quote:
Missing on Parise and Getzlaff didnt help either
Why do you have to bring this up and ruin my Thursday morning? I went to therapy after that draft.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
A superstar?..
First off, we have about 1M in cap space.
Second, even Pierre Boivin came out to say Vinny would be great but we're not going to dismantle our roster to get him.
Do you seriously think Higgins/Plek/Subban and couple picks will get us Lecavalier??..

Superstars are expensive, and they also don't assure you a cup, so there's no reason to break up your team to get one. Better off waiting for UFA if you don't want to lose key pieces of your team.

Finally, you have absolutely no clue what Bob Gainey is doing. There's a difference between being aggressive and being stupid. Gainey could easily get a superstar but would most likely have to give up Markov or Komi or Price or MaxPac, etc..and that would be stupid.
Gainey might be working on a deal, maybe he's in constant contact with a few GMs, we don't know.

But since you'd want him to get aggressive, I'd like to know when's the last time a Superstar was traded?..Deadline last season??..Hossa?..
What big or just decent trade happened this season??..None.
Does this mean all 30GMs aren't aggressive enough to your taste??..It's not that simple anymore, welcome to the Cap World.

Many teams need some help on their roster, not one has made a trade yet.

Be patient, we'll see what BG will see get us around deadline.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
No reason to freak out,but something needs to be done with Plekanec...love the guy,but has been brutal since the beginning of the season and is starting to hurt his line.

Any of you guys remember how he was on fire during pre season?
You could say the same for Sergei. His can be blaimed on a softmore slump, but still. He can't even hold onto the puck anymore. He'll recieve a tape to tape pass and it always seems to skip off his stick a couple feet to the opposing player. All of his passes are going into opposing players skates. He sees his borther on the other end of the ice and passes to him even though there's 4 opposing players inbetween them, each with full knowledge of who he's going to try to pass it to. Then he gets frustrated and slashes or shoves someone for no reason. I find he's dragging that line down. I'd try swapping him with D'ago for next game.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Iwishihadacup

Kovalev is the biggest floater ever...And I liked him before this year

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kovalev is the biggest floater ever...And I liked him before this year
Everyone has to read this column by Boone...... exactly what I was saying last night and a few dissagreed loudly with me, but nice to read it from someone watching the Habs all the time

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/14280

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
HotHabsFan*

why didn't a guy like Stewart start **** when it was 3-1? thats what he is playing for. unless carbs told him to stay calm, which wouldnt surprise me at all.

Old
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Why do you have to bring this up and ruin my Thursday morning? I went to therapy after that draft.
Is it too late to ask for your money back?

Just kidding, I just couldn't help myself