HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pronger to Devils

Old
01-22-2009, 12:36 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Pronger to Devils

What could the Ducks get in return?

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Basicly gut the Devils Cup contending team and chesmitry, thats what it would take.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
How bout this:

To the Devils: a 3rd round pick from Van for helping orchastrate the deal ;P

To the Ducks: Alexander Edler, Vancouver's 1st in 2009, Jannik Hansen, and either Mason Raymond/Michael Grabner or a conditional 1st in 2010.

To the Canucks - Pronger.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
matt trick

If the Ducks trade Pronger they are looking at a rebuild (albeit a quick one).

Therefore, Gionta, Madden, Rolston, Pando, Rupp, Holik, Salvador, White and Langenbrunner aren't of interest as they are relatively old or not that good. All are useful, but not what a re-building team needs.

The Ducks also don't need Clemmenson (Hiller and Giggy)

The Devils would say that Parise, Elias, and Brodeur are completely off the table. Martin would be pretty much untouchable as well, but Lou may consider straight up. However, I don't it.

The main piece Anaheim would want is Zajac, but I would bet Lou tells Murray to piss off.

That leaves picks and prospects

1st+Cornette is about what San Jose gave up for Campbell, and while he was younger, and cheaper he is not on Pronger's level and was a UFA. I am not sure what would need to be added but something would have to be.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

Therefore, Gionta, Madden, Rolston, Pando, Rupp, Holik, Salvador, White and Langenbrunner aren't of interest as they are relatively old or not that good. All are useful, but not what a re-building team needs.

The Devils would say that Parise, Elias, and Brodeur are completely off the table. Martin would be pretty much untouchable as well, but Lou may consider straight up. However, I don't it.

The main piece Anaheim would want is Zajac, but I would bet Lou tells Murray to piss off.

1st+Cornette is about what San Jose gave up for Campbell, and while he was younger, and cheaper he is not on Pronger's level and was a UFA. I am not sure what would need to be added but something would have to be.
Zajac... -- But it won't happen.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

I would give an 09 1st, Corrente and Vrana (toss in) for Pronger this year just because I think we win the cup with him. I'm not sure what a few months of Pronger is worth on the open market.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I would give an 09 1st, Corrente and Vrana (toss in) for Pronger this year just because I think we win the cup with him. I'm not sure what a few months of Pronger is worth on the open market.
He's signed through next year also, not a UFA this year.

No way Ducks move him for that deal though, IMO they would want either a top prospect, top pick or good young defenseman in return among other things.

I don't see them and NJ being good trade partners for Pronger.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post

No way Ducks move him for that deal though, IMO they would want either a top prospect, top pick or good young defenseman in return among other things.

Sorry, I thought he was a UFA. He would get a package similar to what Kaberle demanded last year. A 1st, Zajac and a prospect.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Randall Graves*

ducks and devils are not good trade partners

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
ducks and devils are not good trade partners
What does anaheim needs other then younger defense, this looks like a team that should be top 4 in the west, especially with the emrgance of Ryan.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

The Devils are a machine this year... why would they do this? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I realize that their defense is thin, and adding a guy like Pronger basically single-handedly makes their defense just THAT much more credible but he would cost a pretty penny. I'm with the Jason MacIssac, I would think it would be something like Zajac, Bergfors and a first round pick. I can't see Lou doing that, mostly because most of the Devils forwards are getting long in the tooth. That and it would potentially screw up the chemistry of the forward lines, which, for the most part, are purring right along this year.

The Ducks defense has also slowly been depleted by trades and injuries, so moving Pronger would basically be a symbollic act that they are throwing in the towel. Though they haven't exactly set the league on fire this year but with their young talent up front and stellar goaltending tandem, I can't really see them going into full rebuild mode. I wouldn't think that they'd be overly interested in moving Pronger. There are easier ways to trim salary, if that is the issue here.

Bottom line is, even if the Ducks were to move Pronger, the Devils wouldn't be a very good trading partner.

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What does anaheim needs other then younger defense, this looks like a team that should be top 4 in the west, especially with the emrgance of Ryan.
Well if you could trade us some players with brains that'd be nice

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
matt trick

Pronger's value is kind of hard to gauge.

He is undeniably one of the top 5 d-men in the league, and #2 IMO. Every team would love to have him, but his cap hit, the assets he would require, and the possibility of a dropping cap (though his contract should be up before that is an issue), will take some teams out of the hunt.

I would say 1st+ good young roster player+ good and maybe even bluechip prospect would be required.

Montreal may be a good team to do the deal:

1st, Higgins, McDouagh? That may not be enough, and even if it was, I think that puts Montreal over the cap.

Several of the other contending teams don't have room for him: San Jose, Philly, Detroit, Washington, Rangers, Chicago, as well as Dallas.
Some don't have the assets: Pitt, Carolina (IMO they should keep their youth)
Some of the borderline playoff teams have a youth movement: Phoenix, Columbus, LA.
Edmonton is obviously a no.

The teams that leaves are Boston, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Ottawa.

Boston- They may have enough cap space or could get it easily, and embarrassment of riches as far as prospects and young players go, but next year they have 42.6 million with Kessel, Krejci, and Thomas to sign. Adding Pronger could mean at least one if not two of those guys are gone. But they would be the favorites IMO.

Calgary- have the cap space, and Pronger fits their team needs. That said, what are they going to offer? Irvine wouldn't do much for Anaheim and Backlund should be untouchable IMO. With Phaneuf, Sarich, and Reghr already I think they may prefer to keep their potential #1.5 center unless it was a straight up deal. Maybe 1st+Nigrin/Nemiz+

Vancouver-have the assets Edler+1st+Raymond. I bet they would want to keep their top 6 Forwards, Hodgson, and Bieska.

Minnesota- I don't think they have the assets. Burns, Koivu, Bouchard are young but going nowhere. Sheppard, Gilles, and Cuma are all needed to fill holes in the near future. Brunette and Nolan are too old. I really don't see Pouloit+1st+ being the top offer.

I guarantee all these teams will inquire and one will likely surprise me, but I would not be surprised to here the Ducks are getting low-balled by everyone, because it being such a unique situation.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
ADD-devil950003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post

Oduya (good young d-man), Bergfors(top prospect), Gionta(UFA at seasons end you can do what you want, sign or let walk), 1st

ADD-devil950003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD-devil950003 View Post
Oduya (good young d-man), Bergfors(top prospect), Gionta(UFA at seasons end you can do what you want, sign or let walk), 1st
Not enough, Anaheim need signed young roster players.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Saul
S'all Good Man

Zajac+... Why does Anaheim want to trade Pronger at all?

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

not good trading partners.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Lou isn't trading Zajac, but will add a decent defenseman to strengthen their overall top six. Not need to give up our future for the present.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Devils will deal for a good defenseman, it just won't be Pronger.
Kaberle is making more and more sense every day.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

For all things holy in the Eastern Conference, let's hope Pronger to Newark doesn't happen.

If it does, wait until next year for the rest of the contenders.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Travis Zajac or Matthias Tedenby will definantly be a part of the deal. You would think a first rounder would be included.

How bout

Travis Zajac, Matthew Corrente and a 1st rounder.

Let's remember Devil fans that you are getting one of the best dmen in the league. Pronger instantly improves your team and with one year remaining on his contract would give the Devils two solid chances at a Cup. The Ducks would only deal Pronger if someone came up with a pretty substantial offer. They run the risk of losing their two top dman in the same year (Niedermayer's contract is up at years end)

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:02 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD-devil950003 View Post
That is an awful offer. Nothing of signifgance there at all and the Ducks are dealing one of the best dmen in the league.

Old
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Travis Zajac or Matthias Tedenby will definantly be a part of the deal. You would think a first rounder would be included.

How bout

Travis Zajac, Matthew Corrente and a 1st rounder.

Let's remember Devil fans that you are getting one of the best dmen in the league. Pronger instantly improves your team and with one year remaining on his contract would give the Devils two solid chances at a Cup. The Ducks would only deal Pronger if someone came up with a pretty substantial offer. They run the risk of losing their two top dman in the same year (Niedermayer's contract is up at years end)
I wouldn't do it. Call me crazy but the Devils are going to be getting one of the best players in the league, at the trade deadline back into their line-up, and I am positive that he can upgrade our defensive core enough that they dont have to gut the future for a premier defenceman.

Lou will make a deal for a solid defenceman like Bryce Salvador last season (really underrated around these parts) or for a guy like Kaberle at the absolute most.

Old
01-22-2009, 09:20 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
I wouldn't do it. Call me crazy but the Devils are going to be getting one of the best players in the league, at the trade deadline back into their line-up, and I am positive that he can upgrade our defensive core enough that they dont have to gut the future for a premier defenceman.

Lou will make a deal for a solid defenceman like Bryce Salvador last season (really underrated around these parts) or for a guy like Kaberle at the absolute most.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do it either. Personally, I don't think the Devils need Pronger at all. You just have to understand that the Ducks are a playoff team and in order to deal Pronger they would have to get a heck of a package in return. I think Kaberle works really well for the Devils. He would make the PP better and gives the Devils one of the better puck movers in the league. This has been debated before and I realized the return can never be agreed upon. Devils fans want to pawn off Bergfors and Leafs fans want a Zajac or Tendenby.

I would bet my life that Burke would ask Lou for Zajac. According to most Devil fans, Zajac is going nowhere.......now we have a problem

Old
01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do it either. Personally, I don't think the Devils need Pronger at all. You just have to understand that the Ducks are a playoff team and in order to deal Pronger they would have to get a heck of a package in return. I think Kaberle works really well for the Devils. He would make the PP better and gives the Devils one of the better puck movers in the league. This has been debated before and I realized the return can never be agreed upon. Devils fans want to pawn off Bergfors and Leafs fans want a Zajac or Tendenby.

I would bet my life that Burke would ask Lou for Zajac. According to most Devil fans, Zajac is going nowhere.......now we have a problem
Oh I know, I completely understand that. I don't see why they would want to trade Pronger anyway. He has the ability to win a playoff series with a team on his back.

As far as Zajac goes, the issue is dead to me now. He is our undisputed 1st line centre, is Zach Parise's best friend on the team and is a key penalty killer. He is simply not available. We need our best centre more than we need Kaberle. It's simply not happening, just like Carter + 1st for Kaberle last season.