HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger ?

Old
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if redden, gomez or drury are heading back the other way, absolutely.
Total denial, you KNOW they're not going anywhere.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I agree with you that the Rangers don't have a shot in hell at getting Pronger, of course, but why in hell would Toronto have any reason to go after Pronger? Toronto is a rebuilding team that is going to get rid of all of it's veterans at the deadline and do their best to tank and get as high a pick as possible. Pronger is 34 years old. He serves them no purpose, even if he is one of "Burke's guys."
I listen to Leafs lunch on podcast quite often, and there is a large contingent of fans who believe the Leafs should do what you say, sound the alarm and prepare to scuttle the ship. I don't believe it. I think Toronto could be even less tolerant of a true "we're going to suck for 3-4 years rebuild" than we are here in NY. They are going to move big contracts to people who will take them on. Who's going to take one on without giving one up? So Pronger is 34. Big deal. Guys are playing into their 40's nowadays, and one thing that Pronger has going for him that won't change is he's one mean SOB. That Leafs team really has no identity, no face. I think he fits the Burke mold way better than say, Kubina or Kaberle. I don't underestimate Burke for a second and it could sure help him a long way if the meanest guy in the lockerroom just happens to be a big Burke supporter.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 06:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I listen to Leafs lunch on podcast quite often, and there is a large contingent of fans who believe the Leafs should do what you say, sound the alarm and prepare to scuttle the ship. I don't believe it. I think Toronto could be even less tolerant of a true "we're going to suck for 3-4 years rebuild" than we are here in NY. They are going to move big contracts to people who will take them on. Who's going to take one on without giving one up? So Pronger is 34. Big deal. Guys are playing into their 40's nowadays, and one thing that Pronger has going for him that won't change is he's one mean SOB. That Leafs team really has no identity, no face. I think he fits the Burke mold way better than say, Kubina or Kaberle. I don't underestimate Burke for a second and it could sure help him a long way if the meanest guy in the lockerroom just happens to be a big Burke supporter.
You don't have to believe it, man. It's already underway. And it isn't a large contingent, it's pretty much all of them. Go check out their board for a minute. Kaberle and Kubina are both going to get traded either at the deadline or in the summer, Antropov and Ponikorovsky are likely gone, as are a number of others. The Leafs are being gutted and are starting from scratch. Next season, expect them to contend for the first overall pick in the draft.

Even they realize that's the way to do it. Not this team, though...

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Why would they want these players? Pronger just won the Stanley cup less than 2 years ago and went to the Cup final with Edmonton. He's worth much more
Anaheim isn't in a good cap situation and Pronger's getting old. You don't think a 1st or 2nd round pick with Korpi(a 1st round pick) and a defenseman to replace him isn't enough?

And everyone in NY might hate Roszival but his stock at 4 mil a year as a pretty complete defenseman is probably good in a trade.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Anaheim isn't in a good cap situation and Pronger's getting old. You don't think a 1st or 2nd round pick with Korpi(a 1st round pick) and a defenseman to replace him isn't enough?
I think Anaheim would hang up the phone laughing. A low first and a guy that projects to be a third liner for one of the top 5 defensemen in hockey?

Quote:
And everyone in NY might hate Roszival but his stock at 4 mil a year as a pretty complete defenseman is probably good in a trade.
That would be true...if he made 4 million. But he makes 5.

Old
01-22-2009, 07:58 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

He goes 2 the LEAFS!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I would love to see Pronger as a Ranger, but if the Duckies are thinking rebuild, or rather re-tweak, I think they keep Pronger who's still got a year left and dish Niedermeyer who's a UFA and likely to retire.

And if they do trade Nieds you just know who he's going to and we aint going to like it one bit

01-22-2009, 11:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I would love to see Pronger as a Ranger, but if the Duckies are thinking rebuild, or rather re-tweak, I think they keep Pronger who's still got a year left and dish Niedermeyer who's a UFA and likely to retire.

And if they do trade Nieds you just know who he's going to and we aint going to like it one bit
Pronger is also a group III this summer

I could see Burke making a huge pitch for him this summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Pizza

There are almost too many non starters here to count...so it won't happen.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 04:32 AM
SML

Quote:
You don't have to believe it, man. It's already underway. And it isn't a large contingent, it's pretty much all of them. Go check out their board for a minute. Kaberle and Kubina are both going to get traded either at the deadline or in the summer, Antropov and Ponikorovsky are likely gone, as are a number of others. The Leafs are being gutted and are starting from scratch. Next season, expect them to contend for the first overall pick in the draft.

Even they realize that's the way to do it. Not this team, though...
Ummm... You DO realize that while there are alot of Leaf fans that use these boards, there alot MORE who don't even know they exist, right? There are hockey fans who don't do what we do here, especially with a fanbase as large as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 06:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Ummm... You DO realize that while there are alot of Leaf fans that use these boards, there alot MORE who don't even know they exist, right? There are hockey fans who don't do what we do here, especially with a fanbase as large as the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Do you realize that the Leafs have been making it clear for months now through all of the Canadian media that they are conducting a massive rebuild, that they will likely be a worse team next year than they are this year?

Old
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
giacomin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAiG1994 View Post
the way i saw dawes make him look like a pylon, no thanks
My thoughts exactly. Haven't seen him much lately except for that Ducks game in Anaheim, but that makes me think he's on the down slope. Not what we need.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I think Anaheim would hang up the phone laughing. A low first and a guy that projects to be a third liner for one of the top 5 defensemen in hockey?

That would be true...if he made 4 million. But he makes 5.
you think Pronger is still a top 5 defenseman? Is Redden still in the top 20 then?

I mean, one of the factors mentioned about Pronger were his trips to the finals. Redden went to the finals a few years ago!

Old
01-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Rangerfan4life90

They'd want too much. No thank you plus he isn't what we need

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomin1 View Post
Not what we need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
he isn't what we need
I have to laugh at this. A legit top pair defenseman who hits, clears the crease and, in a down year, would lead this team's defensive corp in scoring, goals and assists, is not a need.

What exactly is a need then?

01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
you think Pronger is still a top 5 defenseman? Is Redden still in the top 20 then?

I mean, one of the factors mentioned about Pronger were his trips to the finals. Redden went to the finals a few years ago!
You don't see how saying that Redden is close to as good as Pronger based simply on the fact that their teams reached the finals in the same season might be a flawed argument?

Here's a thought: start a thread on the trade board asking how many teams are interested in Wade Redden. Then start a similar thread, just exchange Wade Redden for Chris Pronger. Can you guess the result?

Old
01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
You don't see how saying that Redden is close to as good as Pronger based simply on the fact that their teams reached the finals in the same season might be a flawed argument?

Here's a thought: start a thread on the trade board asking how many teams are interested in Wade Redden. Then start a similar thread, just exchange Wade Redden for Chris Pronger. Can you guess the result?
the point was not about Redden, it was showing you how flawed the thinking process is in saying PRONGER'S BEEN TO THE FINALS TWICE IN THE PAST 5 YEARS HES TOP 5 was.

Obviously Pronger is better than Redden. But thanks for pointing out the obvious and ignoring the real point of my post.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
the point was not about Redden, it was showing you how flawed the thinking process is in saying PRONGER'S BEEN TO THE FINALS TWICE IN THE PAST 5 YEARS HES TOP 5 was.

Obviously Pronger is better than Redden. But thanks for pointing out the obvious and ignoring the real point of my post.
Let's review...

Quote:
I think Anaheim would hang up the phone laughing. A low first and a guy that projects to be a third liner for one of the top 5 defensemen in hockey? That would be true...if he made 4 million. But he makes 5.
Here is where I say that Pronger is a top 5 defenseman. But where do I say that has anything to do with his appearance in the finals?

Quote:

Those factors weren't mentioned by me so why would you bring them up in reference to my claim that Pronger is a top 5 defenseman?

Maybe instead of trying to diminish what being a Stanley Cup champion is, not to mention carrying another team on his back to the finals, you should try re-thinking your proposal, which is HIGHWAY ROBBERY in favor of the Rangers. Go ask Ducks fans what they think of that proposal.