HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Cote ever win a fight this year?

Old
01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
For one, the team responds to the act of Cote sticking up for them, not whether he wins. The fact that he goes in there knowing he's going to lose probably earns him more respect from his teammates. Beyond that, if Washington starts cheap shotting the Flyers, the Flyers do it back. When it comes down to it, the Flyers have more grit through their lineup than pretty much anyone else. I'll take anyone on this team over guys like Semin or Backstrom, Gags and Briere included. While other teams may have a better enforcer than Cote, they mostly drop off quite significantly after that. The Flyers follow Cote up with guys like Asham, Alberts, Hartnell, Richards, etc. Hell, we've even seen Carter beat the piss out of someone.
the problem with cote isn't that he loses but that he fights when it isn't necessary...it's not like he is defending his team mates, most of the time he is fighting just for the sake of fighting which is dumb because he loses 99% of the time...there is no reason for him to be leading the league in fights when he is as bad as he is.

i give him credit for his toughness but wish he would pick his spots better not just drop the gloves in the 1st period because he is on the ice with the other teams tough guy...yet, the few times he should have been fighting (bieska's hit on gagne for example) he didn't.

ride out the year with him since we do have enough toughness up and down the lineup but get a better enforcer next season.

Last edited by lancer247: 01-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.
lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I wish he wouldn't fight guys with 30 lbs on him though. He's just not big enough to get any leverage on them. He's probably one of the best fighters in the 200-220 range if you ask me. I'd bet most guys his size won't go with him. He's like an Ian Laperriere that can't pick his spots or skate quite as good.
hate to break it to you guys but he has just as many losses to guys his size -

pierre lablonde (NJ - 6'1" 210), rupp (6'5" 230), brookbank (6'4" 220), boulton (6' 200)

last season thorton (6'1" 210), asham, davison (6'2" 220), thorburn (6'3" 210).

cote is 6'2" 210...his size wouldn't be so bad if he was a better technical fighter...guys like pj stock & langdon were just as small but better defensive fighters that got guys of balance...cote tries to go toe to toe with guys but he doesn't have KO power unless you're name is roy.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:54 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
hate to break it to you guys but he has just as many losses to guys his size -

pierre lablonde (NJ - 6'1" 210), rupp (6'5" 230), brookbank (6'4" 220), boulton (6' 200)

last season thorton (6'1" 210), asham, davison (6'2" 220), thorburn (6'3" 210).

cote is 6'2" 210...his size wouldn't be so bad if he was a better technical fighter...guys like pj stock & langdon were just as small but better defensive fighters that got guys of balance...cote tries to go toe to toe with guys but he doesn't have KO power unless you're name is roy.
I am not trying to give Riley an excuse, but am I the only one who thinks he has a really short reach. Even aginst people his own size, they seem to have a longer reach

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
miltons rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I am not trying to give Riley an excuse, but am I the only one who thinks he has a really short reach. Even aginst people his own size, they seem to have a longer reach
remember Tie Domi he was about 5' 10" but fought and did well against all the heavies in his day.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Maybe he had long arms

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy64 View Post
remember Tie Domi he was about 5' 10" but fought and did well against all the heavies in his day.
Tahir 'Tie' Domie - The Albanian Assassin.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
the problem with cote isn't that he loses but that he fights when it isn't necessary...it's not like he is defending his team mates, most of the time he is fighting just for the sake of fighting which is dumb because he loses 99% of the time...there is no reason for him to be leading the league in fights when he is as bad as he is.

i give him credit for his toughness but wish he would pick his spots better not just drop the gloves in the 1st period because he is on the ice with the other teams tough guy...yet, the few times he should have been fighting (bieska's hit on gagne for example) he didn't.

ride out the year with him since we do have enough toughness up and down the lineup but get a better enforcer next season.
How else does one improve at a skill but through practice? It's only Cote's second year. He has to go out there and give it a whirl every few games if he wants to become a legit enforcer in the league. Most of the time he does it in the first few minutes of a game when no momentum has been established yet and it really has no bearing on things. Seems pointless other than him getting the experience, but it doesn't hurt things.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote