HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Proposal: Edmonton / Pittsburgh

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Steve Latin*

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal: Edmonton / Pittsburgh

Edmonton: Tarnstrom, Pittsburgh's fourth round pick
Pittsburgh: Semenov

Rationale: Edmonton could use some help on the PP for a playoff run. Semenov is playing limited minutes with the team. Tarnstrom gives Edmonton a 29 year-old 37 point d-man at an affordable 1.5 million per year. Semenov gives Pittsburgh youth and size on D.

S L

Old
03-05-2004, 01:18 PM
EverythingSens

At this point I'm 99% Sure that Pittsburg won't be trading away any picks whatsoever...

Old
03-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Perez

I don't see the oilers trading Semenov. They don't have alot of depht at D. But Tarnstrom would be a good acquisition for them imo. Why not trade him for Rita .

Old
03-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Master Lok

Edmonton has not gone to become a big "buyer" where they give up prospects in order to squeak into the playoffs. It just doesn't make any sense. Nedved and Markannen were traded for to fill holes and they give up a college prospect who was an 8th round pick and has never played any games. Semenov is thought very highly of in the future for the Oilers, has played both last year and this year in the NHL and they would not be trading him for a player that will soon be a FA.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez
I don't see the oilers trading Semenov. They don't have alot of depht at D. But Tarnstrom would be a good acquisition for them imo. Why not trade him for Rita .
It would make much more sense for both teams if it was Rita being moved to Pittsburgh. Like you said, the oilers dont have a lot of defensive depth, so they should keep Semenov. With Welch, Whitney, and Lupaschuk close to making the NHL, I would rather the Pens trade for a talented forward prospect like Rita. We need all the scoring we can get and Rita is a pretty solid 2 way prospect with good offensive potential.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:54 PM
H-Bear

Absolutly terrible idea; not that Tarnstrom is a bad player. Actually, I would love for the Oilers to get a hold of a guy like him, but not at the cost of Semenov. I don't know what the Pens would want for him, but what about someone like Chimera?

Old
03-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Absolutly terrible idea; not that Tarnstrom is a bad player. Actually, I would love for the Oilers to get a hold of a guy like him, but not at the cost of Semenov. I don't know what the Pens would want for him, but what about someone like Chimera?
How about Chimera *and* Rita? I don't think either alone is enough for Tarnstrom.

S L

Old
03-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Chimera doesn't interest me at all.

It would cost much, much more than Chimera

Old
03-05-2004, 02:09 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Even worse idea. Tarnstrom is a very good player, and while Chimera is decent, he isnt near Tarnstrom's level. Plus, I dont see the need for any more guys in the mold of Chimera on this team, as we have enough depth of prospects for the forward system who could be at Chimera's level next year, that the aquisition would be a moot point.

You have to give to get, and if Tarnstrom becomes available it would cost more than Chimera.
You are offering a forward who has 4 whole goals and 12 whole points for a defenseman who has as many goals as Chimera does points. Seriously think about that and ask yourself why on earth Pittsburgh would do that deal.
I am certain you are aware of thier problems, so why would we want to weaken our team even further and trade away one of the only real assets we have for Jason Chimera? It makes even less sense that your team trading away Semenov IMO.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
Even worse idea. Tarnstrom is a very good player, and while Chimera is decent, he isnt near Tarnstrom's level. Plus, I dont see the need for any more guys in the mold of Chimera on this team, as we have enough depth of prospects for the forward system who could be at Chimera's level next year, that the aquisition would be a moot point.

You have to give to get, and if Tarnstrom becomes available it would cost more than Chimera.
You are offering a forward who has 4 whole goals and 12 whole points for a defenseman who has as many goals as Chimera does points. Seriously think about that and ask yourself why on earth Pittsburgh would do that deal.
I am certain you are aware of thier problems, so why would we want to weaken our team even further and trade away one of the only real assets we have for Jason Chimera? It makes even less sense that your team trading away Semenov IMO.
While you may think That Tarnstrom is the second coming of Bobby Orr, but the rest of the world knows that he is a -25 d-man. Chimera might not interest you, but A fair offer would be Jani Rita. He is a highly rated prospect that plays LW which is an area of extreme depth for the oil. I also think you may be undervaluing Chimera by the way, sure his numbers aren't huge, but he will be a pretty good player in a couple of years. His speed is world class and he has size.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Kritty

Am I the only one that think has a problem with Tarnstrom being valued so highly? I would never give up a blue chip prospect like Rita or a young, NHL dman like Semenov for Tarnstrom. Let's remember, this is a guy who was on waivers not too long ago and didn't start to produce until put on the PP with Mario and company. Granted he is putting up points this year on Pittsburgh but who else will. He is not good in his own end and outside of the PP he contributes little offensively. In my books he's a marginal 2nd pairing guy. If paired with a defensively realiable partner he could get by.

I do agree that it will take a fair bit to get him out of Pittsburgh but that's because he's one of the few players with actual NHL experience that the Pens have. If he is anywhere outside of Pittsburgh he's a 5/6 dman that plays the PP. People can go ahead and rip me up for it but I just don't see him as a top pairing dman like some people seem to think. Rita and Chimera for Tarnstrom? Not a chance.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Edmonton and Lowe would be better off sticking with Bergeron then tradsing for Tarnstorm

bad proposal bad

Old
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Am I the only one that think has a problem with Tarnstrom being valued so highly? I would never give up a blue chip prospect like Rita or a young, NHL dman like Semenov for Tarnstrom. Let's remember, this is a guy who was on waivers not too long ago and didn't start to produce until put on the PP with Mario and company. Granted he is putting up points this year on Pittsburgh but who else will. He is not good in his own end and outside of the PP he contributes little offensively. In my books he's a marginal 2nd pairing guy. If paired with a defensively realiable partner he could get by.

I do agree that it will take a fair bit to get him out of Pittsburgh but that's because he's one of the few players with actual NHL experience that the Pens have. If he is anywhere outside of Pittsburgh he's a 5/6 dman that plays the PP. People can go ahead and rip me up for it but I just don't see him as a top pairing dman like some people seem to think. Rita and Chimera for Tarnstrom? Not a chance.
I completely agree.. the NHL is full of players that have exceeded expectations point-wise when they are one of the few NHL-calibre players on the roster. I personally don't think Chimera + a low pick for Tarnstrom is that far off.. I certainly wouldn't move Rita + Chimera for him and would not even think about trading away Semenov if Tarnstrom was the key player coming back.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:

Since when is Rita a blue chip prospect? His stock has went way downhill. I rate him equal with Beech.

S L

Old
03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
pittengineer

Quote:

Just because he was picked up on waivers means nothing. Alot of players get picked up on waivers and become good. Look at Lang. I'm pretty sure the pens picked him off waivers. Guess he sucks for the same reason. The -25 +/- ranking is a non-issue on a team that doesn't score well, not great on defense outside of Orpik, Tarnstrom, and now Jackman, and 2 rookies in goal for the entire season. Is 12th in points for d-men in the entire NHL and has been consistent over the past two years. Does not have a big contract($1.2 million) and is not a UFA(another year after this year). And unlike Leetch, he is only 28.

I think most talk on here is underrating him in a trade proposal.

Old
03-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Master Lok

Frankly, I don't see that EDM has any need to make this deal. Bergeron is a younger dman with the same offensive upside. Next year, Woywitka and maybe Lynch will be challenging for spots on defense. Why clog it up with another dman who wouldn't break the top 4 spots in EDM? (Brewer-Smith-Staios-Bergeron/Ulanov) Why trade away value in Rita or Chimera? Enh. Pass.

Old
03-05-2004, 03:41 PM
DJ Spinoza

Edmonton has a need to make the deal because their PP is pretty bad, right?

Semenov would be a great pickup, but it would cost a little more.

What if the Pens sent their high second round pick (likely the first second round pick)? It's a high pick but would be worth it for Semenov.

Also, I don't think this is the right forum to spur discussion, but what is the asking price for Brewer and is he still being shopped? How much in addition to Tarnstrom would it take to get him (ie what good prospects and/or picks)? Oilers fans who are familiar with the situation only, please. I'm inquiring because I'm interested...hopefully someone with some knowledge responds, I don't want to see a bunch of Tarnstrom is not worth Brewer because anyone on this site knows that.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

What if the Pens sent their high second round pick (likely the first second round pick)? It's a high pick but would be worth it for Semenov.

Also, I don't think this is the right forum to spur discussion, but what is the asking price for Brewer and is he still being shopped? How much in addition to Tarnstrom would it take to get him (ie what good prospects and/or picks)? Oilers fans who are familiar with the situation only, please. I'm inquiring because I'm interested...hopefully someone with some knowledge responds, I don't want to see a bunch of Tarnstrom is not worth Brewer because anyone on this site knows that.
Brewer for your first this year

Old
03-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
While you may think That Tarnstrom is the second coming of Bobby Orr, but the rest of the world knows that he is a -25 d-man.
A -25 d-man getting 24 minutes a night on the worst team in the NHL in 10 years...

The +/- stat is useless, especially if you're talking about anyone on the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Brewer for your first this year
I hope to god you're kidding...

Old
03-05-2004, 04:51 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

Granted, Tarnstrom is better than Semenov at the current time. He's also older and more expencive. Semenov is 6'6" 210lbs at 22, and has yet to play a full season in the NHL but has proven that he can compete at this level (something you don't get with most prospects). I truely believe that he will be a very good defenceman with a long career ahead of him in the NHL. Right now, I don't see this trade hapening because it's not like the Oilers to give up good young talent like Semenov, and guys like Tarnstrom are gonig for a lot less around the league. Not to mention, the only reason he isn't in the line-up right now is because Bergeron is more effective offencively, and takes advantage of the open ice on the pp well, which is exactly what the Oilers are missing lately.

As for Brewer, I don't think he was ever really on the block. He's a 6'3", 220 lb, 24 year-old #1,2 defenceman who is far from plateud (sp?) potential-wise. Not to mention an Olimpic gold medalist. Teams don't just give these kinds of players away. And if you think that Pitsburgh's 1st round pick is an overpayment, then you're sadly mistaken.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:15 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Granted, Tarnstrom is better than Semenov at the current time. He's also older and more expencive. Semenov is 6'6" 210lbs at 22, and has yet to play a full season in the NHL but has proven that he can compete at this level (something you don't get with most prospects). I truely believe that he will be a very good defenceman with a long career ahead of him in the NHL. Right now, I don't see this trade hapening because it's not like the Oilers to give up good young talent like Semenov, and guys like Tarnstrom are gonig for a lot less around the league. Not to mention, the only reason he isn't in the line-up right now is because Bergeron is more effective offencively, and takes advantage of the open ice on the pp well, which is exactly what the Oilers are missing lately.

As for Brewer, I don't think he was ever really on the block. He's a 6'3", 220 lb, 24 year-old #1,2 defenceman who is far from plateud (sp?) potential-wise. Not to mention an Olimpic gold medalist. Teams don't just give these kinds of players away.
I was with you, right up until you said...
Quote:
And if you think that Pitsburgh's 1st round pick is an overpayment, then you're sadly mistaken.
This is the draft pick that's most likely to give you a shot at getting that Ovenchicken kid, supposedly a superstar in the making. As much as I like Brew, you've gotta grab a player like that if you can.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
jAnd if you think that Pitsburgh's 1st round pick is an overpayment, then you're sadly mistaken.
Sadly? Try *HILARIOUSLY*

S L

Old
03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

[QUOTE=I hope to god you're kidding...[/QUOTE]

I forgot the smilies. Yes I was.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:48 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
While you may think That Tarnstrom is the second coming of Bobby Orr, but the rest of the world knows that he is a -25 d-man. Chimera might not interest you, but A fair offer would be Jani Rita. He is a highly rated prospect that plays LW which is an area of extreme depth for the oil. I also think you may be undervaluing Chimera by the way, sure his numbers aren't huge, but he will be a pretty good player in a couple of years. His speed is world class and he has size.
WTF?
Where did I state that he is the next coming of Bobby Orr? Where did I overstate his value?
What did I say that wasnt rue?
Dont go off making ignorant assumptions or putting words in my mouth. That is just lame and uncalled for.
Or are you telling me that Tarnstroms value is equal to that of Chimera's?
No, it certainly isn't.....

Old
03-05-2004, 05:51 PM
stardog

Quote:

Robert Lang and Martin St.Louis were both picked up on waivers as well.
Also, he isnt producing with "Mario and co" this season. He is producing with Kraft and co.

His defense is marginal at best but his offense is far from marginal. Tarnstrom is a good offensive defenseman....nothing more, nothing less.

Closed Thread