HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rick Dudley doesn't want to make the playoffs...

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Rick Dudley doesn't want to make the playoffs...

This is unbelievable: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75518

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
"I'm not satisfied just inching into the playoffs and getting beaten in the first round," Dudley said. "So the question is: Do I maybe sacrifice our playoff chances to make us better in the future? It's an interesting quandary."
The guy would rather tank the season than grab the 8th seed. Wow. Florida is sunk with this retard at the helm.

(Not saying Florida has a hope of grabbing the 8th seed, but this is TOTALLY the wrong mentality to have...who goes into the season saying "well...I hope I don't squeak into the playoffs"?)

Old
03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Especially when they have a goaltender who could steal them a series or two.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
This is unbelievable: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75518

The guy would rather tank the season than grab the 8th seed. Wow. Florida is sunk with this retard at the helm.

(Not saying Florida has a hope of grabbing the 8th seed, but this is TOTALLY the wrong mentality to have...who goes into the season saying "well...I hope I don't squeak into the playoffs"?)
What's wrong with that? He would rather see the team get a better piece of the puzzle for the future then barely getting the 8th spot and earning some extra cash for the 2 playoff home games where all the owners make there money. Dudley and everyone knows they're not going to win the cup so he does the right thing, look to the future.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Especially when they have a goaltender who could steal them a series or two.

I think he figures if they're going to make the playoffs, the goalie will have to steal most of March anyways.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Oceanic39*

Isn't that always his mantra?

That's why he's hated in Tampa - refusing to sit on some vets to build around and instead try to acquire MORE prospects.

Dudley is to prospects what a 2nd grader is to Pokemon cards. Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Old
03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Isn't that always his mantra?

That's why he's hated in Tampa - refusing to sit on some vets to build around and instead try to acquire MORE prospects.

Dudley is to prospects what a 2nd grader is to Pokemon cards. Gotta Catch 'Em All!
WRONG! He is hated b/c he wanted to trade Vinny "Mr. Overrated" Lecavalier.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Fighter
Fighting my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
What's wrong with that? He would rather see the team get a better piece of the puzzle for the future then barely getting the 8th spot and earning some extra cash for the 2 playoff home games where all the owners make there money. Dudley and everyone knows they're not going to win the cup so he does the right thing, look to the future.
If they make the playoffs, they just have to trade one of their old prospect (which after some years is still in the minors BTW...) + their first round pick, and get a better pick.
Too difficult for Dudley?

Old
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
So, you're our psychoanalyst now? O39 stated it clearly and succinctly, yet people are supposed to believe YOU instead of an actual Lightning fan?

Old
03-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
So, you're our psychoanalyst now? O39 stated it clearly and succinctly, yet people are supposed to believe YOU instead of an actual Lightning fan?
Article A

Old
03-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
That's merely one of many reasons.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 03-08-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old
03-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
LOL. Youre so clueless as to what he did in Tampa its unbeliveable. Vinny is one of the main reasons, but there are other moves Dudley made that are very questionable. Yet you will continue to fail to see that because you are one of Dudley's new worshippers. Theres more to Dudley's firing than just the Vinny trade. That was the last straw but it was one of many. Do some research. He made some good moves, but he also made some horrible moves. I'll say it again like I have several other times: I wont deny Dudley helped build this current Lightning team, but you can not deny he also made some moves that kept them in the basement instead of helping them out of it.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
How many pieces of the puzzle do they need? how many top picks have they had again?

Old
03-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

I'm in the Vast Minority when it comes to Panther Fans but i Think Duds needs to be let go After next Season. He's like the Robbie Ftorek of Gming, he's Great at Building teams up, but not at getting them over the hump.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Snugglepuss

Did Dudley trade for Khabibulin? Or was that Feaster?

Old
03-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Jag68Sid87

If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be more worried if Dudley thought he had the horses to go deep into the playoffs. It's the GM's job to have his feet firmly on the ground, while it's the coach's job to sell to his players that they're better than they are.

In my opinion, Dudley's doing the right thing. If he plays his cards right, his team will be a top-four club in the Eastern Conference, starting next season and for several years to come.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by walknucklers
Did Dudley trade for Khabibulin? Or was that Feaster?
This was Dudley, who also had traded a 1st overall for ultimately Cloutier - deeming him the future of TB, then was presented Luongo or Weekes and chose his former IHL goaltender Weekes - deeming HIM TB's goaltender of the future. Then, after both of those failed, he traded for Khabibulin.

Dudley is 'great' at building a team almost by a default method. He acquired SO MANY prospects in his day in Tampa, that some were bound to turn out. A few of the things he threw against the wall (St. Louis, Khabibulin, Sarich) stuck. There were so many others that didn't stick it's left a bad taste in many a mouth. Specifically, when the team was moving forward, deals were made to set them back (see Aucoin (M. Biron), Nylander (R. Simpson, B. Muir), etc.) The Aucoin deal to NYI was the last straw in many Lightning fans' eyes. This, even before the "overrated" Lecavalier was rumored to move.

I disagree this statment is merely having his feet grounded. He is in LOVE with prospects. He has given every indication of being willing to trade anything good for multiple lesser assets. Once some of these fine Panther prospects get older, I'd be scared to death he'd immediately turn them into more prospects. He'd make a better head scout - though there are currently NO Dudley draft picks on TB's roster.

You HAVE to surround youngsters with vets. Just Odelein isn't enough. This is why in Tampa he had Kudroc, Biron, Sarich, Kubina and Zyuzin surrounded by Grandpa Grant Ledyard.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 03-08-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old
03-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
He'd make a better head scout - though there are currently NO Dudley draft picks on TB's roster.
Would that be because he traded all his draftees for other team's draftees:p

Old
03-08-2004, 04:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
I'm in the Vast Minority when it comes to Panther Fans but i Think Duds needs to be let go After next Season. He's like the Robbie Ftorek of Gming, he's Great at Building teams up, but not at getting them over the hump.

funny many Canuck fans feel the same about Burke, yet the Canucks and Panthers are in two totally different situations..

Old
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
...Dudley is 'great' at building a team almost by a default method. He acquired SO MANY prospects in his day in Tampa, that some were bound to turn out....I disagree this statment is merely having his feet grounded. He is in LOVE with prospects. He has given every indication of being willing to trade anything good for multiple lesser assets. Once some of these fine Panther prospects get older, I'd be scared to death he'd immediately turn them into more prospects. He'd make a better head scout - though there are currently NO Dudley draft picks on TB's roster.
I've been asking this for a week: has Dudley ever have a winning season? It seems like every year he's trading for prospects...that's it!

The statements he's made is not of a winning mentality. If he thought it, he shouldn't have never been so stupid (i.e., Dudley smart) and actually let those thoughts reach his lips. If I was Panther Fan, I'd be very, very scared.

Old
03-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I don't care how your team looks, if you have an honest chance at the playoffs and you don't chase it, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Think if Anaheim last year had done that or Minnesota or Carolina a few years back. There is no accurate way to judge what is going to happen in the playoffs and with a goalie like Luongo, why not take the chance? Is Dudley chasing a circa 1980's Oilers team before he attempts to make the playoffs? Honestly, the playoffs is the only thing you should care about in this league and Dudley would rather groom a few prospects than try his hand at a place that half the teams in the league would rather be than they are. It just doesn't make sense.

It's like making a movie and saying "Oh, we're not going to release this movie because it couldn't get to number one on the charts. We're going to redo the movie next year when we can get some better actors".

Old
03-08-2004, 05:42 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
It's like making a movie and saying "Oh, we're not going to release this movie because it couldn't get to number one on the charts. We're going to redo the movie next year when we can get some better actors".
That's not a far fetched analogy. Millions of dollars are at stake, as are in movie productions. I've always thought that winning makes for better development of players, so Dudley's attitude on the matter perplexes me. Dudley is a mad genius. Empahsis on 'genius' because I'm mad for typing it.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:

That have ZERO truth to it and you know it. Dudley = never giving time for a TEAM to gel. Prospect prospect prospect. thats all that have EVER mattered to his man

And just to point out his HIDEOUS value ranking of his players

Look what he got for Nylander when he was here and what Nylander gave Washington.

And Vinny overrated naah you are just JEALOUS and by the way WE WON SE DIV TONIGHT

have a good one trying to catch the SE div

Old
03-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
Huh... everything?

Old
03-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:

Best. Quote. Ever.

If we could use sigs at HF, I would immortalise your words forever

Old
03-09-2004, 01:58 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Nothing wrong with that at all. He's acknowledging the eternal debate that faces every single GM in the league - short term vs long term. Almost all moves will help one, at the expense of the other. It's the great balancing act. Refreshingly honest too. Most GM's won't actually admit that they have no chance to win the Cup.

And nowhere did he say he was going to tank the season. He just said that he's willing to be a seller rather than a buyer at the deadline. Plus, many a team has actually done well after moving their star at the deadline.

Closed Thread