HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

36 games left to go, 10 points clear from 9th. Improvements?

Old
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
36 games left to go, 10 points clear from 9th. Improvements?

With 36 games left to go, the Habs are 27-13-6 for 60 points and 4th in the Conference. 13 points from 1st and 10pts ahead of 9th place.

What do you guys think the Habs need to improve in order to keep their playoff spot and to make a surge in the post season?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
With 36 games left to go, the Habs are 27-13-6 for 60 points and 4th in the Conference. 13 points from 1st and 10pts ahead of 9th place.

What do you guys think the Habs need to improve in order to keep their playoff spot and to make a surge in the post season?
players back from injuries (tanguay, higgins)

and a defenseman to replace brisebois....

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
HotHabsFan*

we need a replacement for Breezby, and if possible a trade that gets a bigger top 2 center in replacement of Pleks.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
MonacoBlue

Well, the team is solid defensively. As long as the goalies do well, they have a chance to win. What I'd like to see is more GOALS! Remember last year? This team doesn't seem to be able to score at will anymore. The offense has picked up lately, but it's still not enough. They haven't been able to dominate other teams, put other teams away or make comebacks.

On OTR today, Pierre McGuire said that he thought the Habs needed a big addition because the Habs were getting "stale." I tend to agree with him. This year's versions of Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn, Chris Higgins and Alex Kovalev aren't good enough. The Habs aren't going to make it anywhere with them playing like garbage. I like Gainey's patient approach, but, at this point, I think a big addition would be good as it would really spark the team.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Well, the team is solid defensively. As long as the goalies do well, they have a chance to win. What I'd like to see is more GOALS! Remember last year? This team doesn't seem to be able to score at will anymore. The offense has picked up lately, but it's still not enough. They haven't been able to dominate other teams, put other teams away or make comebacks.
PP my friend, if the Habs were a middle of a pack PP last year, i fear they wouldn't of even made the playoffs, maybe 8th...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
ScherbakAttack

I think we need 2 things :

1) A replacement for Brisebois. Dandenault was actually doing really well when he played on D so hopefully he can fill that spot. We can find a permanent solution in the summer if Dandenault isn't doing good enough.

2) Every player has to show intensity. I don't care if Plekanec is having a horrible year, but what I DO hate is seeing our team float. If everyone plays like they want to "win" all of their shifts, we could be amazing. Unfortunately, a few people on our team don't show much intensity even during crucial moments and that kills the intensity of the rest of the team.

I really hope being injured will have done Tanguay some good, and that when he comes back he's hungry to get some points on the board. He seems greedy and it would probably be for a bigger contract in his case, but as long as he's not floating, I don't mind.

I really don't think we need to make a trade this year.

I know a lot of people want to rebuild our top6 with grittier forwards, and I do as well, but that takes a while and I don't think it would work out well if we messed with it during the season.

During the offseason we have a lot of people that aren't signed so it's a perfect opportunity to implement grit in our line-up. I'm hoping we see Pacioretty permanently next year and possibly D'Agostini, althought I don't know if 3 new rookies at once is a good idea. Stewart on the 4th line seems like a lock at this point but we never know with this team. I kind of want to keep Lang, if he doesn't retire. Kovalev, even if I like him, I think he's done after this year; at least in Montreal. Plekanec might get traded in the offseason; and come back to haunt us in a few years like usual.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

No cause for alarm.

Let's see what happens in the next 10 games.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
la25ecoupe

Too early for big changes.

Small changes better. I don't want a Sundin scenario ala Vancouv

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Team has become distracted by ridiculous trade rumors. Gainey should move quickly to move whoever he feels like moving to finalise his team for the playoff run, let them mesh and know they aren't leaving town so just worry about playing hockey.

What was the biggest problem against Atlanta and New Jersey? Looked lost, and without passion, usually trade rumors do this by tearing the room apart of causing players to play scared.

So go get that top 4 Defenseman within the next 2 weeks, go down in your room and say "This is the team we are working with, none of you are in danger of being moved". I guarantee this would set us up for a solid post-AS-break run.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote