HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why Montreal and Pittsburgh could be good trade partners...

Old
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Why Montreal and Pittsburgh could be good trade partners...

Like many others here, I don't like when trade proposals are thrown in the air with no thoughts behind them with maybe the exception of value. There is more to value that needs to be taken into considerations in order to assess a potential trade, key factors such as the cap issue, the age of the players involved but mostly, the trade needs to make sense for both teams. It needs to fill the needs of both teams and in order to do this, one must know those needs.

With that out of the way, if I want to trade with Pittsburgh, I need to know that they are deep at center, they could use some quality wingers and with the return of Gonchar and Whitney, they will have too many defensemen.

Montreal, on the other hand, has a future need at center with Koivu and Lang aging and they are looking for a defenseman to man the point on their PP, preferably a right handed shot. They are very deep on the wings.

For those reasons, I think that the Pens and Habs could be great trading partners. Let's look at some of the values here, players who could be front and center in a potential trade, not saying that those would be the only options out there:

Andrei Kostitsyn
Position: LW/RW
Shoots: Left
Stats: 42GP 16G 12A 28PTS +8
Sergei Kostitsyn
Stats: 43GP 8G 12A 20PTS +1
Jordan Staal
Position: C
Stats: 48GP 14G 12A 26PTS -3
Kris Letang
Position: D
Shoots: Right
Stats: 43GP 1G 13A 14PTS -3

Add a prospect, a draft pick here and there those players could be center pieces for a trade which would improve both teams who would be trading from a position of strenght.

Thoughts?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Andy

I really doubt habs get rid of both brothers, especially Andrei considering he's our only sniper, Sergei is debatable.

Pens are missing wingers, habs have an abundance of wingers.

Expendable ones....
Higgins
Tanguay
Sergei
Kovalev

Higgins, Sergei for Letang?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
AK

Positionally, I think the teams are good trading partners.

As much sense as it might make to do something around the Kost Bros. for Staal and Letang, I think Montreal might need to add something to it, and I don't know that either team wants to part with the potential of the players they are giving up.

Something around Letang for Sergei straight-up might be more realistic.

Jordan is too important to his team right now, and I figure it's the same way for Andrei in MON.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

As much sense as it might make to do something around the Kost Bros. for Staal and Letang, I think Montreal might need to add something to it, and I don't know that either team wants to part with the potential of the players they are giving up.

Jordan is too important to his team right now, and I figure it's the same way for Andrei in MON
Yah I was thinking the same.

Higgins and Sergei for Letang would make sense to me.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:46 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I really doubt habs get rid of both brothers, especially Andrei considering he's our only sniper, Sergei is debatable.

Pens are missing wingers, habs have an abundance of wingers.

Expendable ones....
Higgins
Tanguay
Sergei
Kovalev

Higgins, Sergei for Letang?
I really don't see the Pens trading Letang. The Pens will be looking for help now but not at the expense of their core young players. If we could get Hossa last season for marginal prospects and a pick then I rather go that way than give up a guy like Letang who I believe is not going to be traded. Andrei would be interesting though because he could help now and the future which would be worth a deal from our young core. It will be interesting to see what Shero does. If I was going to trade a young dman though it would be Goligoski and not Letang. I would rather trade Goligoski and a pick for a good young winger from some team.

Higgins and Sergei for Letang is not bad though. I just believe Letang is a future all star dman that will play both good offensively and defensively like Gonchar can. Those guys don't grow on tree's so I really rather keep him.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Yah I was thinking the same.

Higgins and Sergei for Letang would make sense to me.

Uhmmm...What?

I don't think so...

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Canadiensfan1909

Higgins and a 3rd for staal

Canadiensfan1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
pozex

This is what I would propose:
Despite all the rumours, I still like Higgins. He is determined on the ice and I think he should stay just because all rumours revolve around him lol

neways, to MTL: Whitney, Stall

To PIT: Tanguay, Plecanec and prospect ( Fisher... or I dunno)

Plecanec more than fills the bill for a 3rd line in Pit; Tanguay is an excellent winger but I think everyone already knows that; I like Staal cuz he would bring some size to this team that we seem to lack...
Montreal gets needed defenceman, gets good 2way center, but loses good winger
Pitsburgh gets needed winger, good 2 way center, but loses good defenceman.

pozex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:28 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozex View Post
Despite all the rumours, I still like Higgins. He is determined on the ice and I think he should stay just because all rumours revolve around him lol

Plecanec more than fills the bill for a 3rd line in Pit; Tanguay is an excellent winger but I think everyone already knows that; I like Staal cuz he would bring some size to this team that we seem to lack...
Come on! We give you two young core players that are key members of our team and you give us a guy like Tanguay who is going to be a UFA after the season and some average crap. Can we try and make deals that GM's might really think about?

Like I said to one of those other crazy Hab trade offers. My counter offer is the Kostitsyn brothers for Satan, Eaton, and Caputi. That is about what you just offered us for two of our best young players that are equal to the Kostitsyn bro's. Now come back to reality. What do you think of my offer? About the same as I think of yours I bet.

Old
01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I like the idea of Kovalev and a first rounder in 2009 for Satan and Whitney. I realize the Habs have zero use for Satan, but that doesn't mean a guy can't dream does it.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I like the idea of Kovalev and a first rounder in 2009 for Satan and Whitney. I realize the Habs have zero use for Satan, but that doesn't mean a guy can't dream does it.
I rather keep Whitney than trade him for a soon to be 36 year old winger who has 12 goals and 33 points and is being out scored by a dman and Lang on his own team and is a UFA this summer. After this summer when we are sitting with a low 1st round pick and Kovy is gone we would look back in a couple years wondering what happened. Whitney has been a 59 point scorer and 6th best scoring dman in only his second NHL season. Last year was his 3rd season and he was playing on one good leg during the whole season. Maybe you want to make that trade but I don't think Shero would.

Old
01-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Like many others here, I don't like when trade proposals are thrown in the air with no thoughts behind them with maybe the exception of value. There is more to value that needs to be taken into considerations in order to assess a potential trade, key factors such as the cap issue, the age of the players involved but mostly, the trade needs to make sense for both teams. It needs to fill the needs of both teams and in order to do this, one must know those needs.

With that out of the way, if I want to trade with Pittsburgh, I need to know that they are deep at center, they could use some quality wingers and with the return of Gonchar and Whitney, they will have too many defensemen.

Montreal, on the other hand, has a future need at center with Koivu and Lang aging and they are looking for a defenseman to man the point on their PP, preferably a right handed shot. They are very deep on the wings.

For those reasons, I think that the Pens and Habs could be great trading partners. Let's look at some of the values here, players who could be front and center in a potential trade, not saying that those would be the only options out there:

Andrei Kostitsyn
Stats: 42GP 16G 12A 28PTS +8
Sergei Kostitsyn
Stats: 43GP 8G 12A 20PTS +1
Jordan Staal
Position: C
Stats: 48GP 14G 12A 26PTS -3
Kris Letang
Position: D
Shoots: Right
Stats: 43GP 1G 13A 14PTS -3

Add a prospect, a draft pick here and there those players could be center pieces for a trade which would improve both teams who would be trading from a position of strenght.

Thoughts?

That would be a solid trade. Both teams fill their needs with the Pens finaly getting two talented wingers to play with their top guys on the first two lines. We get a good size center with talent and the fourth D that we need.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Pukboy5kroner

As an outsider to both teams, this seems like a pretty fair deal. Whether either team would go for it or not is uncertain, but good proposal.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

Jordan is too important to his team right now, and I figure it's the same way for Andrei in MON.
I think it would be tough for Montreal to break up the brothers. While they might not have quite the same demands as the Sedinís for staying on the same team, Iíd think it would be tough to break them up. If the above trade was proposed, Iíd also think the Habs would have to add something. Iím not all that good at trade proposals, so Iím not really sure what to add, but it would have to be another decent piece.

As for the 2 teams being good trading partners, I do agree, but the problem is they are both in the same conference, and both have similar aspirations this year (make the Cup final out of the East). Teams in those situations rarely trade with each other.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 08:09 AM
4rde

I think thats too much going from Pens side, not in my opinion, but probably theirs. They clearly like Staal very much so i could imagine both brothers going their way if Pens could decide, but with Letang on it also i dont think that would happen.

Otherwise, imo i think it would be great deal, valuewise and fill both's needs.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 08:55 AM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
As an outsider to both teams, this seems like a pretty fair deal. Whether either team would go for it or not is uncertain, but good proposal.
Yeah i feel the same way but the only thing is i don't see many teams trading their young talent away unless it's a JBo situation and i don't think that's the case here.

Does Crosby have a NTC/NMC? Just curious.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
I rather keep Whitney than trade him for a soon to be 36 year old winger who has 12 goals and 33 points and is being out scored by a dman and Lang on his own team and is a UFA this summer. After this summer when we are sitting with a low 1st round pick and Kovy is gone we would look back in a couple years wondering what happened. Whitney has been a 59 point scorer and 6th best scoring dman in only his second NHL season. Last year was his 3rd season and he was playing on one good leg during the whole season. Maybe you want to make that trade but I don't think Shero would.
Well, I think Kovy would stay beyond this year. And any extra first rounder in this year's draft would be gold for a team like ours, who didn't pick until Round 4 last summer.

But to each his/her own.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Yeah i feel the same way but the only thing is i don't see many teams trading their young talent away unless it's a JBo situation and i don't think that's the case here.

Does Crosby have a NTC/NMC? Just curious.
Not officially but Sid will not be traded before he gets one.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Well, I think Kovy would stay beyond this year. And any extra first rounder in this year's draft would be gold for a team like ours, who didn't pick until Round 4 last summer.

But to each his/her own.
Kovalev, Plekanec (or Higgins) and a prospect/pick for Staal and Whitney?

Old
01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Not officially but Sid will not be traded before he gets one.
Well not for nothin but if I were Pitt I would fire Therrien and trade Sid for a bunch of goods. I know, it would never happen this early in his career, but I feel like the team would be better off being built around Malkin and Staal. And 21.4 mil devoted to your three centers is too much.

Just my opinion.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Well not for nothin but if I were Pitt I would fire Therrien and trade Sid for a bunch of goods. I know, it would never happen this early in his career, but I feel like the team would be better off being built around Malkin and Staal. And 21.4 mil devoted to your three centers is too much.

Just my opinion.
And not a very popular opinion, at that.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Kovalev, Plekanec (or Higgins) and a prospect/pick for Staal and Whitney?
I wouldn't touch that one, personally.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that one, personally.
Fair enough. I do prefer the original proposal in this thread. Yes, it would hard for both teams to part with those players, but when the dust settles, I think that it would work out the way it did when Heatley was traded for Hossa... it would benefit both teams.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozex View Post

I agree that we should upgrade Pleakanec with Stall for example. Pleaky has been a disappointment this season but I think he is still a 70pts playerwith the right line mate. He has proved last year in the Playoffs that he is at best a 2nd line center.
I'm not happy with Tanguay to some degree but trading him seems unlikely unless he wants out.
Pitts could request depth in a trade since they give lots for Hossa. MTL want a Moving dman and a center(#1 that is)
So yes we are good trading partners but not the best one. Also, I keeping my hopes high for VL.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

So.... most non-Pens fans say this is fair...

Is Staal for Andrei fair?
Is Letang for Sergei?

Really? Pens say no thanks.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote