HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan

Old
01-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Derek Stepan

How come we hear so little about this guy? What's up with him?

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
We hear so little about him due to the fact that he's an NCAA player, and there's not much accessibility. He carries impressive upside potential offensively and is supposedly sound defensively as well (I didn't notice that the few times I've seen him). He's discussed a good bit in the Juniors/NCAA/Europe thread.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
jnyr

Go here:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/wisconsin-badgers/mens-college-hockey/team,125/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html

He's second on Wisconsin in points, and only a freshmen. Id' say thas pretty impressive so far, and a possible sign of very good things to come.

jnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
From what I've heard he is having a really good season for a freshman at UW.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Without checking updated stats, he's either third or fourth in the nation in terms of points by a freshman.

Old
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I read plenty about Stepan
http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

edit: this will be more specific.
http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/search?q=stepan

Last edited by n8: 01-25-2009 at 04:23 AM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:56 PM
broadwayblue

Stepan is a work in progress but his work is in many ways more advanced than most of the other Ranger prospects. Without a doubt the best skating prospect, the most pure goal scorer and the one prospect who can play any style of game at both ends of the ice.

Like the sound of that.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Salvage21

His nickname is D*step because if he didn't have aspirations to become a pro hockey player, he would become a tap dancer.

Yeah, seriously.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:00 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
His nickname is D*step because if he didn't have aspirations to become a pro hockey player, he would become a tap dancer.

Yeah, seriously.
what the hell?
I'm no tap dancer but this is like flaming him for liking to dance. And that is like saying you hate this dancing banana. I'd even say his interest in tap probably gives him an edge on the ice from all the fine tunes agility required.

One thing about Stepan is that he's a rookie on a very strong Wisconsin Badgers team and is second in scoring. A rookie! awesome

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Yeah, seriously.
Nothing wrong with that. The agility should help him.

Old
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
That officially makes him my favorite prospect.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Salvage21

Hey, don't get me wrong. I think he's a great prospect.. I've read all the scouting reports and watched him play a couple of games on TV. I'm well aware of his role on the badgers and how he's becoming the go-to guy there while being a freshmen.

I just thought it was a funny and yet strange tidbit about him.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
SPG

top scoring forward on a contending WCHA team (they're 3rd in the league, but only 2 points behing 1st place Denver) as a freshman. I'd take that any day out of a frosh prospect.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Originally there wasen't too much on him, as the Rangers really went off the board to get him...at least off the board by most scouting services. But, 2nd in scoring as a freshman is pretty damn good. Hope he continues to develop.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:43 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
This kid is only a freshman and already showing he can be an on-ice leader for his team. From what I've seen of him he really uses his speed to his advantage and actually is pretty strong but hes gonna have to grow a bit to play the the NHL (or even AHL level). At 6 feet 176 pounds he isnt exactly the most intimidating looking player but he still has a few years to grow into his body. We prolly won't see him at any training camps or preseason games for at least 3 years but so far he's shown he can be someone to be excited about

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
This kid is only a freshman and already showing he can be an on-ice leader for his team. From what I've seen of him he really uses his speed to his advantage and actually is pretty strong but hes gonna have to grow a bit to play the the NHL (or even AHL level). At 6 feet 176 pounds he isnt exactly the most intimidating looking player but he still has a few years to grow into his body. We prolly won't see him at any training camps or preseason games for at least 3 years but so far he's shown he can be someone to be excited about
The thing that I am most escited about is that for an 18 y/o kid he is playing against grown men in college and is able to put up points. From everything I have read he isnt afraid to mix it up in the corners and his quickness is wayy above average. His greatest strength right now has to be his quickness and his vision, however as he continues to grow and get stronger his quickness and ability to win 1v1 battles will only get better and considering he is already doing well it is exciting to think about his ceiling.

Also, his defensive play has been much better than expected, so much so that he is actually playing on the pk. Most of the time young players have a harder time in the defensive zone because of the added strength needed to win those hard battles deep in their own zone consistently. Even at 176lbs he is finding ways to win the puck. Thats a great sign for such a young player.

Another thing is the fact that he is playing for a very well-regarded program at Wisconsin and the fact that even though he has been bounced around from wing to center and back and forth he has been getting better and better as the season has progressed. He is getting PP time and is among the scoring leaders on his team. I see nothing but good things from this second round pick.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:01 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The thing that I am most escited about is that for an 18 y/o kid he is playing against grown men in college and is able to put up points. From everything I have read he isnt afraid to mix it up in the corners and his quickness is wayy above average. His greatest strength right now has to be his quickness and his vision, however as he continues to grow and get stronger his quickness and ability to win 1v1 battles will only get better and considering he is already doing well it is exciting to think about his ceiling.

Also, his defensive play has been much better than expected, so much so that he is actually playing on the pk. Most of the time young players have a harder time in the defensive zone because of the added strength needed to win those hard battles deep in their own zone consistently. Even at 176lbs he is finding ways to win the puck. Thats a great sign for such a young player.

Another thing is the fact that he is playing for a very well-regarded program at Wisconsin and the fact that even though he has been bounced around from wing to center and back and forth he has been getting better and better as the season has progressed. He is getting PP time and is among the scoring leaders on his team. I see nothing but good things from this second round pick.
Thanks for reminding me about the PK time. I agree with you about his potential ceiling, no matter where they put this kid he seems to fit right in and still produce. Also like you said, Wisconsin isn't a school where any random walk-on can make the top-6, it's a team that is very tough to get a spot on the lineup on.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

If I'm not mistaken, Kyle Turris scored 35 points in 36 games as an 18/19 year old for Wisconsin in his freshman year.

Stepan has 20 points in 26 games.

I'm pretty excited..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
GAGLine

Wisconsin is playing Denver tonight at 8pm est on NHL network.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Wisconsin is playing Denver tonight at 8pm est on NHL network.
just finnished watching the game...nice comeback win for Denver in Wisconsin...Stepan looks pretty good

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Remember how mad everyone was when we picked him? LOL!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:36 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
This is why we hated him.

Quote:
His nickname is "Dstep" and if he wasn't playing hockey he would be a tap dancer.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:40 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Remember how mad everyone was when we picked him? LOL!
I wasn't mad.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wasn't mad.
Yup. You, and I believe one other poster, were very happy. I forgot who it was.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I wasn't happy, until I read he came from MSM-Shattuck, and was headed to Wisconsin...spoke volumes about him in my mind.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote