HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan

Old
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Flyline maybe? I don't remember who else liked the pick, either. It wasn't many...

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Flyline maybe? I don't remember who else liked the pick, either. It wasn't many...
Just you, and Son of Steinbrenner really. Cynical Tyrant hated it, and SupersonicMonkey wanted Petrov. I just looked it up. And Avy predicted the Grachev pick, before the 2nd round started. Pretty interesting reading the threads from the draft.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Just you, and Son of Steinbrenner really. Cynical Tyrant hated it, and SupersonicMonkey wanted Petrov. I just looked it up. And Avy predicted the Grachev pick, before the 2nd round started. Pretty interesting reading the threads from the draft.
Ah, Petrov.

Rangers made the right choice.

Both Grachev and Stepan are successful, and Petrov has fallen off the face of the earth.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ah, Petrov.

Rangers made the right choice.

Both Grachev and Stepan are successful, and Petrov has fallen off the face of the earth.

Hey just about everyone wanted him in that thread. I know I wanted him as well. Well his 1 total point on the b team is ugh.....yeah. Haha

Old
02-20-2009, 11:10 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Hey just about everyone wanted him in that thread. I know I wanted him as well. Well his 1 total point on the b team is ugh.....yeah. Haha
I know I wanted him with our first round pick at one point.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I've heard from some relatives over there that are big RSL/KHL fans that Petrov's attitude and personality is a big part of his problem.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Petrov seemed to be the Russian that everyone was talking about; Grachev seemed to fly under the radar.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I've heard from some relatives over there that are big RSL/KHL fans that Petrov's attitude and personality is a big part of his problem.
Isles fans say he's often injured as well

Old
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Don't want to be poremature, but I think this draft was successful. (Knocks on wood)

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What i find incredible is that all of us who wanted Petrov were hoping to get what Grachev is giving us now.

It really worked out in our favor. A good call by the staff that passed him over and took Grachev.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What i find incredible is that all of us who wanted Petrov were hoping to get what Grachev is giving us now.

It really worked out in our favor. A good call by the staff that passed him over and took Grachev.
As the adage goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 03:49 AM
trademasterb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Stepan is a work in progress but his work is in many ways more advanced than most of the other Ranger prospects. Without a doubt the best skating prospect, the most pure goal scorer and the one prospect who can play any style of game at both ends of the ice.

Like the sound of that.
Spare me. He isn't on the same planet talent wise as Anisimov or Grachev. Whoever wrote that was on smoke.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:15 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
Spare me. He isn't on the same planet talent wise as Anisimov or Grachev. Whoever wrote that was on smoke.
It was written by Jess Rubenstein, who I daresay spends a lot more time watching prospects play than you or I.

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com

And HF posted this yesterday:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spects_update/

Stepan stood out Shattuck-St. Mary’s prior to the Rangers drafting him last year. The leading scorer on a top prep team, what was particularly impressive to the Rangers was Stepan’s hockey sense and hands. According to Director of Player Personnel, Gordie Clark, “we really saw that in Derek prior to the draft. And then after the draft, he came into our Rookie Camp and scored one of the prettiest goals. He has all kinds of shots.”

Only 18 years old, and four months into his collegiate hockey career, Stepan is already centering the Badgers second line and playing in all situations. In addition, he will often be called upon to take crucial face-offs when the game is on the line.

There is no question that Stepan has made some mistakes in his collegiate debut season, but, Clark is very happy that the Hastings, Minnesota native “learns very well and has little problem making corrections.”

Stepan’s performance has been rewarded by the WCHA, who named him Rookie of the Week last month and nominated him for the honor again two weeks ago. Currently second on the Badgers in total points, Stepan is tied for fifth in scoring among freshmen in the conference.

The Rangers see Stepan’s potential as a top-six forward, but will wait at least another two years before he becomes a professional.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Stepan is not the Rangers best skating prospect. If you see him in person skating up and down the ice, that is clear. He is good, but far from the fastest.

Also, he will be more of a playmaking center than a goal scoring one. He makes things happen on the ice. He has a great shot, and will use it, but he is more of a playmaker. Grachev, on the other hand, is a scoring "center", which is why he will be able to play wing when he goes pro.

It is important to see any prospect play in person (more than once) to really get a good scouting report. What you see on tv or video is all well and good, but you can't really see the full picture. The person who wrote that Stepan is the Rangers best skating prospect must not have seen him in person.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Petrov seemed to be the Russian that everyone was talking about; Grachev seemed to fly under the radar.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Levitate

Petrov "fell off the face of the earth" because of some injuries this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back and have a good season next year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
Why aren't you banned yet?

Old
02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
trademasterb*

"It was written by Jess Rubenstein, who I daresay spends a lot more time watching prospects play than you or I."

Yeah, just like the guy who ranked our prospect here and put Zaborsky 6th and Hagelin 8th.

"Why aren't you banned yet?"

Yes, let's ban people for having an opinion. Posters like you should get the boot. All you try to do is start trouble with other posters.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Yup. You, and I believe one other poster, were very happy. I forgot who it was.
I remember being laughed at on 1-3 forums that I posted on that I was excited for his draft. Been following him as I am a UW-Madison Alum and this guy is a real deal. Not THE real deal but he is responsible on all sides of the ice... That's something that comes naturally, you cant train that. Hes got all the natural stuff, and a decent amount of skill. If he gets a bit bigger and really develops some of his play, we have a gem.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote