HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

B.D. Galloff's blog

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
West Coast Isles Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. Gallof View Post
Yeah, I was experimenting with a Tony Clifton (if anyone is familiar with Andy Kaufman or the movie "Man on the Moon")

Before I was asked to be a Isles team blogger and also right before the Islanders picked me for the blog box, I did some "rabble rousing" blogs that stirred up readers on Hockeybuzz. In that, I had the same over-the-top "evil blogger" persona, and I wanted to see if that style had some tread in the hockey blogosphere. It was no different than the NY style of shock jocks of Howard Stern and Opie & Anthony. Say what you want, how you want, and make fun and rip to shreds everything and anything simply because you can.

Of course, I was handcuffed to do this as a team blogger. So my bright idea was to make an anonymous blog and see if it would do anything. I had a slew of ideas, including some funnier ones on tap...but first I wanted to outrage and vilify some gold standards to see if it would attract attention and notoriety. Thus my hits on Cherry, another blogger (issue between he and I is solved) and of course, I even was rude to the great Bob McKenzie.

I didn't want to become the next Eklund. But I was damn curious if someone anonymous who was rude, crude and hitting nerves could get a following.

Well, I had about a total of 20 hits. I plugged it on Ballhype, which is one of the most overrated and useless devices ever.

So, here I was...wanting to see if I could just get a better sense if this little tangent was useful, interesting or worthless. I was beginning to believe it was worthless, but I really wanted to bring out some of my ideas.

So, James Mirtle, top blogger and gopher for the Globe and Mail for years until getting some headway of respect where he finally could write for them, made the jump from his own blog to FromTheRink.com. FromTheRink is part of SBNation and trying to form a community blog site...much like how The Hockey News did...but failed.

I congratulated Mirtle for making the jump. You see, he and I would correspond time to time. He emailed me to do some (and then published) some Sanford hockey masks I designed back over the summer and even wanted me to help him with a main logo.

Mirtle made it known that he needed an Isles blogger, and wanted my services. But, the issue was that a blogger there only gets half the hit$$, and I was not convinced that they were on their way to making it lucrative.

So, I told him no thanks.

On his site, it allows fan posts, and I decided, as the NHL Masked Avenger maybe I could put one as him there and see if the extra eyes that saw it could at least give me a better idea if what I was doing had any legs. I figured that Mirtle could use the bump since he seemed to get only a few hundred people using his polls and such. As a comparison, I get 4000-5000 views per blog avg and got half a million hits for my blogs alone last year. So FromTheRink wasn't exactly racking them up. I figured (wrongly) that a bump from me would benefit us both.

So, that is why I posted there. What I did not realize was that I had made a normal ID and joined there back when Mirtle first announced it, and he was able to fish out the connection via my IP. So stupid on my part. His email wasn't angry, but asking why...and I explained. There I thought it ended.

So imagine my shock on my commute home from the train, when I see that Mirtle published this and "outed me" as if this was the reveal from a Scooby Doo episode. The pile-on ensued because of a fierce history between Eklund and other bloggers via anonymous posts on several sites, and I got lumped it due to my affiliation to the site. Of course, I am sure Mirtle got one hell of a bump in hits, as well. And I did not get one Scooby snack.

Many bloggers, not just HB ones, are very shocked and perplexed by my actions. But as many are also surprised that Mirtle published it and threw me to the wolves like that. Others, even from way up high, did understand it...but had warned me that I might one day regret my association with Eklund.

The pile-on was horrendous and the worse part was a few good friends in the blog box (4 of the 13 or so)...The same people jealous or concerned with my move to Botta's site and with him leaving over the summer, all sucked this one up. That was very disappointing. So as Mirtle and those in the blogosphere who had an anti-Eklund slant all bashed me for being associated with Ek, these blog boxers then came in and also brought up the Isles blog box, which was stupefying.

Others came out of the woodwork to pile-on, including the mod to another board who would tell me to my face we had no issues, but then used it as a battering ram to vilify me with such hate that I am simply shocked. This on an official site no less.

The whole thing was a whirlwind, and in the middle of the death and funeral for my grandfather, who we were very close to. When it was all done, I had a bitter taste in my mouth. How quickly things changed, and those I thought were friends were not. Those I thought there were no issues with, there were...big ones. And most of all, who needed drama and blogosphere sniping???? Meanwhile I have my first child due at the end of Feb. I told Eklund I was leaning towards taking the rest of the season off. The merry-go-round was getting to me. I did not need the additional stress.

Lo and behold...that seemed to be the best route. For soon after I have learned that the NHL, behind the scenes, were furious and trying to censor me. They tried to shake down those who published me...they felt I should be punished for the rest of the season. Since they control the credentialing process and can make life hell for anyone who needs that access, I relieved many people I think by taking that time off.

Now, you might not like me. Not respect me. You might hate me. But think on this...that the NHL has the right to censor and play politics because they didn't like an anonymous blog.

Now, there is another issue here that is attributed to me via Botta's site do to a character called the Masked Avenger chiming in a couple of blogs I did, so during this whole fiasco, that became an issue too. As I told Dominic of Lighthouse Hockey...which is an excellent blog and who is the one who discovered it...that was not me. That was my wife. And the issue is between Botta and myself...which I can say simply is not an issue at all because he'd be able to see it wasn't even my computer. So, this became part of the pile-on.

Anyway, since I come from this place, and been a member here for many many years, I felt I should say something. I was stupid and did not realize how things would seem to a very secular and rabid fanbase. As someone else said, had I done this for baseball or footballs, nobody would have cared.

So, that is the tale. I'll be around.

As for ruffling Isles brass, I have had an antagonistic relationship with some of the Isles media dept since this summer. I don't think they liked that a blog boxer was so on top of Nolan situation and predicted that they would trade back in the draft ....both they were trying to keep under wraps. Logan and Botta blew the roof off the Nolan thing anyway, but I seemed to get a lot of chaffe since. Especially after I broke that the Isles had it down to three candidates for coach 12 hours before Logan could.

Several things I had planned was halted or even emails not responded to. Word got back to me that they had issues, but nobody would tell me what and why. I tried to set up meetings or conversations. They had other priorities. Meanwhile, I was not doing anything different. But I was getting a lot of people to talk to me, especially off the record.

When I hit on the Lighthouse project piece, which came before other sites talked about it...I found out from high up that one particular manager in the Isles Media Dept purposely emailed my blog to the entire Lighthouse Project staff. The idea was likely to get me in trouble. Instead, the Lighthouse Project invited me to their xmas party. So that backfired.

I do regret all that has gone on. Who needs the drama. I certainly did not want the notoriety. I had good readership on HB and good friends in the box and outside that box. So, I regret the anon blog in that it seemed to denigrate a lot of headway, besides damage my rep. I was not trying to make my own site.

But, that all said, I am an artist and a writer, and I feel angry that I could not say what I want, play as I will, and see if my idea failed or succeeded myself. I am a creative guy and I like to have a sandbox to try, even if I fail. I am also disturbed by the internal actions of those in the NHL. I am also disappointed in myself for not foreseeing the consequences that were going to happen. I wish i had the foresight to avoid this all. I regret if this whole fiasco has caused fans and readers to lose respect in me. That was never my intent. But something I will have to deal with just the same.

living and learning, even if the hard way...
BD
Is Botta definitely leaving over the summer?

Old
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Isles Fan View Post
Is Botta definitely leaving over the summer?
No idea, but I believe the sentence refers to when Botta left last summer. I could be wrong and lost in translation of proper sentence structure.

Old
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Sorry...i was referring to Botta leaving the Isles in the Media guru capacity last summer.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:45 PM
sketchykg

Quote:
Yeah, I was experimenting with a Tony Clifton (if anyone is familiar with Andy Kaufman or the movie "Man on the Moon")

living and learning, even if the hard way...
BD
Well, that's really unfortunate. Keep you head up, I look forward to reading you upon your return.

Look on the bright side, at last you're covering the NHL and not UFC... I pretty sure that espn.com affiliate sherdog.com still are not issued credentials because the former editor announced the Ultimate Fight finale match-ups before they aired. Said editor now works for si.com and I think that he still can't get credentialed.

If you did that to the UFC, Rampage would probably show up at your house in his Hummer.

Old
01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
sketchykg

He's been writing a few things recently over here:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/1894-B-D-Gallof

Old
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

yeah...kind of feel like i need to address a few subjects in my suspens.....errr....semi-retirement.

Maybe I should have Avery come in for a few blogs

I'll be working on a few projects, but till then, I am enjoying that I am already the #2 Isles blogger on there in less than a week.

I'd also like to thank those who PM'd or sent email. Very kind. Meant a lot. I still consider myself HF's own, and was very glad that I could come back here.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
StarBucks

Quote:
yeah...kind of feel like i need to address a few subjects in my suspens.....errr....semi-retirement.

Maybe I should have Avery come in for a few blogs

I'll be working on a few projects, but till then, I am enjoying that I am already the #2 Isles blogger on there in less than a week.

I'd also like to thank those who PM'd or sent email. Very kind. Meant a lot. I still consider myself HF's own, and was very glad that I could come back here.
Hey Man, It's O.K. we all make mistakes in life, Just stick to your guns and everything will be O.K. you still have a lot of people who are supporting you. Do what you can and try to keep your head up.

Keep Writing, And no more of this talk about semi-retirement stuff.

Old
01-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchykg View Post
He's been writing a few things recently over here:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/1894-B-D-Gallof
Quote:
Just so you know, a while back, that was the site that asked me to write for them as well as 3 or 4 other posters. Not saying that you're not their #2 guy, just saying that it might be a bit of a dubious achievement.

01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Just so you know, a while back, that was the site that asked me to write for them as well as 3 or 4 other posters. Not saying that you're not their #2 guy, just saying that it might be a bit of a dubious achievement.
rain on my parade why don't you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gayparade.jpg‎ (61.1 KB, 10 views)

Old
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Those guys must be a joke. They invited ME to write there.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
My point exactly.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
hgo

Quote:
Yeah, even I have some stuff up on there. I did it back in June (briefly) before I started writing for the Washington Square News sports department. They keep asking me for articles about just about everything via email.

But hey, having BD on that site does increase its credibility.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Yeah, even I have some stuff up on there. I did it back in June (briefly) before I started writing for the Washington Square News sports department. They keep asking me for articles about just about everything via email.

But hey, having BD on that site does increase its credibility.
Explain how it would increase their credibility.

Old
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

anonymous blogs flaming NHL personnel is scintillating?

Old
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
There goes any credibility that site has!

That's like asking Marlee Matlin if she prefers the stereo version of Sgt. Pepper or the mono mix.

BD.
Don't worry.
Ya live, ya learn.

Could be worse. You could be a Rangers fan.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
cjdv16

wow. lots of backhanded slaps flying around and digs. blog envy and true colors coming out as well.

BD... i enjoyed reading your material over at h-buzz. In fact, that was the only reason I visited that joke-of-a-site. Your humorous style was and is very appealing and I think you do a very good job balancing objectiveness and your own personal take.

Good luck wherever you land.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
hgo

Quote:
Explain how it would increase their credibility.
I was trying to give BD a compliment cause I like his writing. Maybe it was a poor choice of words.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
They asked me to write there also. This was like a month after I shut down my blog. I did write for Armchair GM once or twice though.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
They asked me to write there also. This was like a month after I shut down my blog. I did write for Armchair GM once or twice though.
I do have my own blog, but I have no clue how they found out my HF name.

Old
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
James Mirtle

B.D.

I consider the whole thing long since over. You erred, you apologized, life goes on. I've got no problem if you keep writing as an Isles blogger.

Honestly though, there's a ton of nonsense in your post above that's just flat out not true. You call me a gopher when I've been a full-time staffer at the largest paper in the country for years. You indicate your site had half a million hits and From The Rink "wasn't exactly racking them up" despite the fact my blogs receive several times more traffic than that. And you neglect to mention that you were warned to stop posting in the FanPosts and continued doing it anyway.

I also do not have an anti-Eklund slant. You'll have to look pretty hard for something I've written criticizing him and we've worked together a few times on the radio. I'm friendly with several HockeyBuzz bloggers, as well, namely Dan Tolensky.

Your biggest mistake as the Masked Avenger was posting that nonsense all over my site, which is a professional endeavor and where I make part of my living. If you wanted to blog anonymously, fine by me, do it on your own forum and leave me out of your "experiments."

Otherwise, I'm going to write about it.

James

Old
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
B.D.

I consider the whole thing long since over. You erred, you apologized, life goes on. I've got no problem if you keep writing as an Isles blogger.

Honestly though, there's a ton of nonsense in your post above that's just flat out not true. You call me a gopher when I've been a full-time staffer at the largest paper in the country for years. You indicate your site had half a million hits and From The Rink "wasn't exactly racking them up" despite the fact my blogs receive several times more traffic than that. And you neglect to mention that you were warned to stop posting in the FanPosts and continued doing it anyway.

I also do not have an anti-Eklund slant. You'll have to look pretty hard for something I've written criticizing him and we've worked together a few times on the radio. I'm friendly with several HockeyBuzz bloggers, as well, namely Dan Tolensky.

Your biggest mistake as the Masked Avenger was posting that nonsense all over my site, which is a professional endeavor and where I make part of my living. If you wanted to blog anonymously, fine by me, do it on your own forum and leave me out of your "experiments."

James
Thanks for posting, James. I'm glad that we had the chance to hear the truth about this incident.

Old
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
B.D.

James
James, you don't have to defend how many hits your site gets. Everyone knows and respects you and your blog is the best blog on the internet, IMO. If someone abuses your site, you have the right to call them out. That's the chance they take when they make that decision. Doesn't matter who it is.

B.D., you admitted your mistakes and we can all respect that. I just think some of your explanation has a little bit too much of this victim mentality. But honestly, people are generally very forgiving about things like this and most will be over it a month from now, especially when they see your blogs posted as they are used to seeing them, in a respectable, professional manner. In the meantime, though, I don't think throwing James Mirtle and a few other people under the bus is going to help expedite that process.

In saying that, I hope you don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, because I am the last person who would hang onto something like this. Just trying to throw in my honest perspective because I really don't want this thing to drag on for you or for anybody else.

JIF

Old
01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Thanks for posting, James. I'm glad that we had the chance to hear the truth about this incident.
And so am I. However, what I am not going to allow any back and forth on this matter between James and B.D. when it has nothing to do with HF at all. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Old
01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Not a problem, Killer. But I do feel I need to respond since he cited a few things directly to me. This thread is about my predicament, after all. So apologies in advance, but the thread says my name.

Despite the fact Mirtle cites my info in a blanket of "nonesense" and only corrects one thing. And then flowery words on that it is your career, which it is not by your own words in interviews:

"The blog is foremost a hobby, so it gets attention when I feel like giving it."

I mean, one would think your career is the editor and writer part at the "biggest paper in the country".

But I get you think somehow you "warned me". Like as if you warned me that you would publish it? No, just that the 1 post out of 2 was not acceptable. Obviously then the 3rd then means you get to publish the who. Clearly you warned me of this? No, just a ban. You chose then to out me, and if it had been a pal or non-HBer most of your peers I have spoken to felt that it probably wouldn't have been published. So speak to your pals, Jimmy boy.

http://www.statbrain.com/www.fromtherink.com/

http://www.statbrain.com/www.hockeybuzz.com/

Oh, and I wasn't citing Hockeybuzz itself for me. Just my blogs. Just a clarification.

All the best, Jimmy.

BD

Old
01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
James Mirtle

Pretty sad B.D. I'm not getting into a war of words here.

Give me a call if you like.

Closed Thread