HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers send Luca Sbisa back to Lethbridge

Old
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
dubey
~manlets~

vCash: 500
I thought Sbisa was a rookie of the year candidate?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
VanAllen22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I think that this is retarded. He was playing good in the NHL why would you send him back now. I would think it would be demoralizing for the kid.

You imply that this move should have been made earlier.

VanAllen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:59 PM
AK

So this now counts as a year on his contract, right?

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Correct.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Correct.
That's too bad for the Flyers.

I guess it was because of the injuries to Jones and Parent that he was even there in the first place.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:15 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Does he get paid his full salary for the year, or is it a wash, and year 2 starts next year?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
Does he get paid his full salary for the year, or is it a wash, and year 2 starts next year?
No, he quit getting paid his NHL salary when he was sent back to Lethbridge. 2009-10 and 2010-11 will be the 2nd and 3rd seasons of his entry-level contract regardless of whether or not he plays any games in the NHL in either of those season.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but I thought you could only play 10 pro games or less to be returned to your Junior Club?
I had a $20 bet with my friend about this and the Flyers just proved me right and won me my money.

I can't wait to rub this in his face.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Depends if who you were listening to drank the kool-aid. As mentioned in this thread, some of us thought he shouldn't have even made the team to start the season, let alone still be on it into January.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Yes, quite the brilliant move by the Flyers.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Lunatik*

this is probably better for the kid... the 'Canes are also a decent WHL team who just got a huge addition to the their blueline... the kid could be in store for another pretty long playoff run

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Depends if who you were listening to drank the kool-aid. As mentioned in this thread, some of us thought he shouldn't have even made the team to start the season, let alone still be on it into January.
i dont know the kid looked like a real talent to me. maybe another year or two to develop and put some size on and then a year getting sytems and reads down at the pro level and he could be a first pairing guy. i think hes really good. and hes already played more nhl games than parent at 18. its one of the things i thought while watching him is that if this were 2012 watching sbisa rookie year he probably could have been a calder candidate.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:54 PM
hashmarks

Wow, that seems like a poorly managed asset.

Holmgren is paying for all of his 'brilliance' of last year I guess. Their cap situation and an inability to stand pat at times have created issues for their roster.

Now they are talking about adding Forsberg? Seems really silly to me. Especially since they don't really have any big, strong defending d men.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I don't think it was poor asset management. Flyers had injured players. Sbisa played while they were out. He played pretty well. Game started to drop off and he was sent back down. The only slight problem was it should have been done a little sooner, but it isn't a big deal. Holmgren is a very good gm and I am sure about 95% of Flyers fans have faith in him knowing will almost always make a good decision.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I don't think it was poor asset management. Flyers had injured players. Sbisa played while they were out. He played pretty well. Game started to drop off and he was sent back down. The only slight problem was it should have been done a little sooner, but it isn't a big deal. Holmgren is a very good gm and I am sure about 95% of Flyers fans have faith in him knowing will almost always make a good decision.
Really? They were injured and didn't have any other d men in their system that could have played??? Burning a year of his contract when he clearly wasn't ready for a full NHL season is poor managment.

Having nothing but cap issues is poor management and short-sightedness. Having to move a player or two before you can bring your 10 million dollar man back into the lineup, all the while the team is winning, is poor management.

If the only way the flyers could have sustained their injuries was to have a kid (who was clearly not ready) play on their blueline, and to add players to their roster is both poor management and poor coaching.

Old
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Really? They were injured and didn't have any other d men in their system that could have played??? .
Not anyone better than Sbisa at least.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
With 7 assists? Some on my teams' board had poop in their pants because his stats looked good at about the 20 game mark. Feeling was our #1 went to school and a puck moving D and 1st round pick made the NHL. It always comes down to the surroundings regarding fresh from the draft/first year players.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:47 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I'm as big of a Sbisa fan as there is and I never even thought that. He just doesn't/won't have the stats for it this year. Now that Bobby Ryan has been called-up, it is over for everyone anyway.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i dont know the kid looked like a real talent to me. maybe another year or two to develop and put some size on and then a year getting sytems and reads down at the pro level and he could be a first pairing guy. i think hes really good. and hes already played more nhl games than parent at 18. its one of the things i thought while watching him is that if this were 2012 watching sbisa rookie year he probably could have been a calder candidate.
It's not that he isn't a real talent, it's that he was in way over his head at 18. Patience is a virtue. Next year will be interesting depending on who is here and who is not because I'm sure he'll be handed a spot on the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Great news for the hurricanes as this makes them an even stronger team. Hopefully they can make it to the memorial cup.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
yay

I've got a fundamental 'lack of in-depth knowledge', mostly related question...

Why couldn't they have just sent him to the AHL? Instead of burning the year of his EL deal in juniors, let him play it out where he would be exposed to higher level competition? i would think it would be more valuable to his future to play him there, than in juniors.

Is there a rule I'm not aware of? His salary wouldn't count against the cap in the AHL, would it?

Thanks in advance. I'm just not familiar with a lot of the rules and procedures regarding contracts and 'minor leagues'.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy17 View Post
I've got a fundamental 'lack of in-depth knowledge', mostly related question...

Why couldn't they have just sent him to the AHL? Instead of burning the year of his EL deal in juniors, let him play it out where he would be exposed to higher level competition? i would think it would be more valuable to his future to play him there, than in juniors.

Is there a rule I'm not aware of? His salary wouldn't count against the cap in the AHL, would it?

Thanks in advance. I'm just not familiar with a lot of the rules and procedures regarding contracts and 'minor leagues'.

Yes, there is a rule. CHL players cannot be sent down to the AHL. They have an agreement that states that U20s can either be NHL'ers or go back to juniors. The only way Sbisa is a Phantom this year is if Lethbridge's season ends and the Phantoms are still playing (like when Carter and Richards came up to help win the Calder in 2005).

That being said, to the best of my knowledge, Sbisa only played 38 games this year, so he is NOT a year closer to free agency (the cutoff is 40 games for skaters). He did burn a year off his entry-level contract, however.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
FYI ---he has not suited up for the Hurricanes despite the roster reports and there has not been an official announcement from either team. It will probably happen, but not as of yet.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Not anyone better than Sbisa at least.
That is pretty bad, actually. They don't have one pro in their system that is as good as an 18 year old kid?

Wow.

Old
01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Vitto79

they have too many Dmen and have to get under the cap

he is still young and they will likely count on him now next yr and he can still play in the playoffs

they had to do it. The cap did this not his play

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote