HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

All-Star Weekend Eastern All-Stars vs Western All-Stars. Centre Bell. 6:00 PM

Old
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
malyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Quite possibly, and I always thought of Feaster as something of an average to below average GM.

I'll say this for the All-Star Game... I think this weekend may have actually lit off light bulbs in the NHL marketing department. It's Ovy's world. With Sidney Crosby on the shelf, it's that much more apparent. I don't think even the stuffed shirts can ignore that any longer. He's a marketing magnet everywhere he goes.

It's high time Malkin get some pub, too.
Has malkin's english improved at all? If not I doubt the nhl will spotlight him that much. I'm not sure the casual american fan would be drawn in by a non-english speaking russian who seems a bit cold and distant (as opposed to ovi's personality).

Not that his talent doesn't deserve to be showcased, but I don't think it does from a marketing perspective.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
Has malkin's english improved at all? If not I doubt the nhl will spotlight him that much. I'm not sure the casual american fan would be drawn in by a non-english speaking russian who seems a bit cold and distant (as opposed to ovi's personality).

Not that his talent doesn't deserve to be showcased, but I don't think it does from a marketing perspective.
He was giving interviews during the weekend...so at least he's trying (compared to a certain Russian on our own team).

I like Malkin, personally...compared to his teammate...but whatever. I have zero confidence in the Bettman run NHL to do anything right.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think some PR consultant may have caught Malkin's ear in the past few months. The effort he's making is likely to be appreciated at the NHL head office. He scores 100+ points and has a mischievous side. The league can work with that.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:20 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I think its hilarious that the Pepe hand picked selection to be the face of the new NHL has failed. I am sure all the owners caved to his incessant whining and begging during the strike, and decided to make puffy lips THE face of the NHL, without letting him earn it first. That wasnt fair to him, and it made people hate him for it. It was inevitable that a more natural selection emerged. We have witnessed the passing of the torch, first hand in DC.

I have to say that I feel the league didnt like the image that was portrayed in the Ovi vs Malkin battle. Hence the publicity stunt they made them do. All is well. The NHL is trying to hard to change the league, and clean entertainment is priority one. They ignore how much violence is a top entertainment tool for this country.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I get the distinct impression that Oren doesn't rebuild.
He's playing fantasy hockey ala Snyder.

His ego doesn't allow him the patience to stink for a couple of years and rebuild.

The difference is that in the NFL it actually is far more likely to turn a team around with a new coach and a handful of good personnel moves.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Gumby

As for the Lecavalier rumors, being down here I can tell you Vinny is very much the face of the franchise and it would be pretty much a disaster for the franchise at this point. Now if Stamkos had come out like Ovie/Crosby, or even Kane it might've been a little more likely but they still don't know exactly what they've got there, and to be honest, not real sure Montreal has the assets to get it done (though Tampa hasn't shown to be the shrewdest traders lately). Anyway, chances are extremely slim Vinny goes anywhere......though I'm not sure why they're hangin on to St Louis.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As for the Lecavalier rumors, being down here I can tell you Vinny is very much the face of the franchise and it would be pretty much a disaster for the franchise at this point. Now if Stamkos had come out like Ovie/Crosby, or even Kane it might've been a little more likely but they still don't know exactly what they've got there, and to be honest, not real sure Montreal has the assets to get it done (though Tampa hasn't shown to be the shrewdest traders lately). Anyway, chances are extremely slim Vinny goes anywhere......though I'm not sure why they're hangin on to St Louis.
I find it hilarious that Tampa Bay is apparently listening to offers for Stamkos. What a joke of a front office.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I find it hilarious that Tampa Bay is apparently listening to offers for Stamkos. What a joke of a front office.
I'm not buying that rumor...but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Idiots.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'm not buying that rumor...but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Idiots.
Maybe they'd be interested in a Nylander package for him...they do love the ex-Caps.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
It almost sounds as though you are suggesting that he can call his shot.
I can see why you'd think I was suggesting that but I really wasnt. I was merely commenting on what Vinny would want to do. The comments I was replying to were about Vinny's reaction to the Montreal fans ovation - the discussion was revolved around what vinny would want. Would he want to be in Montreal where he is the prodigal son and would be expected to win the team another cup and be in danger of getting booed if he doesnt perform up to the fans standards or would he like to stay in Tampa where he is happy and the fans will love him for the rest of his career for his role on a cup winning team?

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
AzYotes18

hi guys, I don't watch many teams in the eastern conference..but wow..Ovechkin is freakin awesome!

does he act like that at home games? You guys are really lucky to have him!

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think its hilarious that the Pepe hand picked selection to be the face of the new NHL has failed. I am sure all the owners caved to his incessant whining and begging during the strike, and decided to make puffy lips THE face of the NHL, without letting him earn it first. That wasnt fair to him, and it made people hate him for it. It was inevitable that a more natural selection emerged. We have witnessed the passing of the torch, first hand in DC.

I have to say that I feel the league didnt like the image that was portrayed in the Ovi vs Malkin battle. Hence the publicity stunt they made them do. All is well. The NHL is trying to hard to change the league, and clean entertainment is priority one. They ignore how much violence is a top entertainment tool for this country.
Not sure how you he's somehow failed in your eyes, or why we have to sling insults at the kid because of the marketing arm of the NHL. It's not like he's not one of the top 3-5 players in the game still.

I prefer to stay away from the "hater" attitude many opposing fans have towards Ovy.....let's not be like those same small minded people.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Not sure how you he's somehow failed in your eyes, or why we have to sling insults at the kid because of the marketing arm of the NHL. It's not like he's not one of the top 3-5 players in the game still.

I prefer to stay away from the "hater" attitude many opposing fans have towards Ovy.....let's not be like those same small minded people.
Pepe failed, not the kid.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

While I think moving Stamkos is retarded, they're not good enough to not consider anything.

If they could move Stamkos and say get say, a top defenseman, I might have to think about it considering they're looking pretty solid to be a lottery team.

As far as Vinny, I think it is still 60/40 stay. I think he's easier to move in the offseason, as the team can make a bigger splash then with the money saved. But I think a Kostitsyn, Markov and a pick or two might get me thinking.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Oh and as much as I was liking the Malkin vs. Ovechkin deal for a while, I think it could be more hilarious if they're friends rather than enemies. I think it was blown over a bit, but they could have a ton of fun dominating the league.

The more marketable Malkin is as well, the less press Crosby gets which is great by me.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
He was giving interviews during the weekend...so at least he's trying (compared to a certain Russian on our own team).

I like Malkin, personally...compared to his teammate...but whatever. I have zero confidence in the Bettman run NHL to do anything right.
That particular Russian knows English, he just doesn't like speaking to the media in English. He understood everything that was said during the video shoot and at the Meet the Team event at Six Flags.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Captain Conservative

Its so great looking at all the happy people in the stands. Pretty amazing sight.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Free sprinkles. But the Sprinkles contain sodium bnzoid.
haha, i just saw this and actually had to pull the video. classic.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote