HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What hockey injury is this?

Old
01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
What hockey injury is this?

I came back from the rink two days ago and noticed that the muscle in my right leg, right below the calves, was starting to hurt. It didn't feel too bad, so I skated hard the next day. It did not hurt at all while I was skating, but afterwards it did. Today, it's on fire. I know I foolishly skated and caused it myself, but what injury could it be, and from experience, how long should I stay off. It hurts to walk, and I limp a bit each step, and to try to flex the muscles in my leg is pretty severe pain now, too. I know I won't be skating in the coming days, but... need some info none the less.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
One you should go to a doctor for, not a message board. In the meantime, ice it and don't aggravate it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
One you should go to a doctor for, not a message board. In the meantime, ice it and don't aggravate it.
Couldn't have said it any better.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
I came back from the rink two days ago and noticed that the muscle in my right leg, right below the calves, was starting to hurt. It didn't feel too bad, so I skated hard the next day. It did not hurt at all while I was skating, but afterwards it did. Today, it's on fire. I know I foolishly skated and caused it myself, but what injury could it be, and from experience, how long should I stay off. It hurts to walk, and I limp a bit each step, and to try to flex the muscles in my leg is pretty severe pain now, too. I know I won't be skating in the coming days, but... need some info none the less.
You'll have to be more specific. If it's the muscle that connects from the top of the foot into the lower calf, you're referring to the tibialis anterior. They're not that hard to overuse, I've done it before once or twice. If it was seriously injured or torn, you would freaking know it. It's probably just inflammation for now, so rest and ice it. Then if it doesn't get better in a few days, see the doctor.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:24 AM
qwertysac

What you're saying is pretty vague, but sounds like the pain is coming from your achiles tendon. Maybe Tendinitis? I'm not a doctor, so i wouldn't know, but you've got pretty much 2 options:

A) Go see a doctor.

OR

B) If you're like me and don't really like going to the clinic, take it easy, rest and wait to see how it goes. Stay off the ice until you feel better, obviously. If it still hurts and the pain isn't subsiding and gradually getting better, then youre stuck with option A) doctor

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Thanks for your input but all I asked was what injury it could possibly be. It did not feel serious enough to go directly to the Doctors, so I felt that by asking and gathering information on what it could be was my best bet, and then take the appropriate course of action.

It feels much better this morning, but who knows how long that will last for. It feels like it is connected directly to my calf muscle, by the way.

Old
01-20-2009, 10:51 AM
puck_08

Quote:
you go to the doctor for a sore leg?

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
you go to the doctor for a sore leg?
If it feels really serious, sure. Part of it is that it's free for me with an on Campus health clinic, but if I ever want to be sure about what something is, that's where I go. With him saying that it's quite painful to just walk, that says to me it could be somewhat serious. If your leg is 'on fire' and it's painful to move, yeah you should see a doctor. Minor aches? throw some ice on it and don't think about it twice. It sounded from the description that it was serious enough that you should see a doctor.

Last edited by cptjeff: 01-20-2009 at 11:22 AM.
cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Thanks for your input but all I asked was what injury it could possibly be. It did not feel serious enough to go directly to the Doctors, so I felt that by asking and gathering information on what it could be was my best bet, and then take the appropriate course of action.

It feels much better this morning, but who knows how long that will last for. It feels like it is connected directly to my calf muscle, by the way.
Without proper medical training and examining the area, there is no way to say for sure what it could be.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
EmptyNetter

If cptjeff or any other poster's best medical advice is to see a doctor, not to ask non-medical posters on a message board, why would you press him for a diagnosis?

I'm another random poster with no medical training. I think you have strained a muscle that I don't know the proper name for. If you continue to work the muscle you risk tearing it. The pain and stiffness you may feel is your body trying to tell you not to move it. If you won't see a doctor then google "muscle strain" and follow the instructions for care. They probably say something about compression -- wrap an ace bandage around the affected area so the muscle is less likely to tear away from the (Achilles) tendon. Probably says something about elevating your leg and using an ice bag. Avoid flexing your foot -- pretend you're a pirate with a peg leg and put all your weight on your heel if you need to walk. I also remember reading (in reference to DOMS) that using ibuprofin to alleviate the pain tends to block your body's ability to repair the muscle so use it sparingly. Plan to not skate for about 2 weeks -- you should wait until you have full range of motion without pain or you will reinjure the area.

Once again, I am not a doctor and have not had any medical training except basic first aid about 25 years ago. I tore my calf muscle 2 years ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy. Web M.D. is a decent resource but seeing a doctor or talking to a friend who's a physical therapist would be a better option. Good luck.

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 01-20-2009 at 12:29 PM.
EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
BadHammy*

Let me say this right now, if you really think you tore something, go to a doctor right now. If you are sure it's just a strain, use the RICE method. Rest, Ice 3-4x daily, Compression and Elevation. In my experience, inflammation in that area will go away in under a week.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 01-20-2009 at 12:55 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Jacob

vCash: 399
Son, that leg's gonna hafta come off.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Son, that leg's gonna hafta come off.
LOL, that should be the standard response to any injury question posted here....adding in the correct body part of course.

Can't wait to use it on the next head injury.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
If you are sure it's just a strain, use the RICE method. Rest, Ice 3-4x daily, Compression and Elevation.
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I could have saved myself some typing, but those medical disclaimers get pretty long.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
MikeD

Ice would only be indicated where there is swelling. Just sore as heck...moist heat as much as you like for as long as you like. IT will encourage increased blood flow to the area and more rapid healing.

With swelling, you do not want to increase blood flow to the affected area but you also do not want to decrease it. Ice would be applied 15 minutes on 15 minutes off. Prolonged icing causes a hypothermic response. Blood flow is reduced to the area to preserve body heat.

The odds are, with no indication of a sudden sharp pain, that you simply over-used and over worked. Recovery would depend on your age, physical conditioning and other health factors such as being a smoker. For those in good general health and having an active/athletic incline its just a few days....

Standard response for those who do not approve of questions such as this....NO RESPONSE would be the logical choice but its more fun and much easier to rip into someone, I guess.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Without proper medical training and examining the area, there is no way to say for sure what it could be.
Many can offer a guess at what it COULD be...what cant be determined is what it ACTUALLY IS.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Saved*

I only asked you guys what the injury could be.. I didn't ask you guys to come and diagnose me. If I thought for a second that my health was in jeopardy, I would have left long ago for doctors.

I just figured hey, someone else may have had the same symptoms as me at some point and could tell me what they did to relieve the pain and speed up the healing process.

When I say it hurts like hell, or it's on fire, I mean it.. it's not just a small pain. It's a burning type pain. If I thought it was torn, I would go. if I knew what injuries it could possibly be, then I could at least figure out how to prevent it in the future.

It feels pretty good right now.. I was going to go skating tonight but I got tickets to sens/caps game and am running late so I will just leave it for tomorrow night. If it feels fine, I will go and have a light skate.

Thanks for the replies, whether they were sarcastic, sincere, blatantly goading or what.. I appreciate them.

Old
01-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

[deleted]

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 06-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Loweded
****** of OilOnWhyte

As my Dad would always say, "Let's chop it off at the neck".

Loweded is offline   Reply With Quote