HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lecavalier to Edmonton

Old
01-25-2009, 07:39 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
TB would be crazy to deal Vinny to Oilers. None of the Oilers prospects will ever turn out to be a franchise player at the level VL is right now.

Basically be dealing for depth, which is a bad move when you arent certain the depth will turn out to be top 6 players anyways.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
that's an insane amount to give up for any one player, I can't imagine with that kind of quanity you'd be getting too much quality.
Well apparently the GM in Tampa thinks Leca is Ovechkin. Tampa will lose with Lecavalier, and have nothing to build with except Stamkos and some second tier prospects. I wouldn't give anything more then 2 roster players, 1 prospect and 1 first, even then depends on the players. 2 prospects and 3 picks is the Tampa GM dreaming, no one worse at their job as him. Whats his name, would prefer refering to him by name if I dislike him so much.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Three players, two prospects, two firsts and a 3rd? Wow, that's a massive payment to get player. The Oilers must be getting desperate. Has Kevin Lowes fingerprints all over it. If I'm Lawton I ask for the moon and the stars and see if Lowe blinks.

Three players: Hemsky, Cogliano and Visnovsky
Two prospects: Petry and Eberle

That would set the Lightning up for a pretty decent chance of being good in a couple of years and not completely destroy them right now. Might even give them a shot at Taveras too. That would be quite the collection of talent in a few years and might be enough to cough up Lecavalier. The big question is would Lecavalier come to Edmonton?
Huge overpayment. Edmonton misses the playoffs for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Perhaps all the green jackets he's won?

Pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah and his Stanley cup has no barring whatsoever.
Damn beat me to it.

To Tampa Bay
Sam Gagner(19)1.625 million, Tom Gilbert(26)4.0 million, Jordan Eberle(18) juniors, 09 1st and 2nd, 10 1st.

To Edmonton
Vincent Lecavalier(28)7.727 million

Edmonton gets its superstar! Tampa sheds salary, adds two terrific young players, a great prospect, and 3 mid round picks

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah and his Stanley cup has no barring whatsoever.
They never one it. The calgary flames did and then the league refused to count the winning goal so the team in financial trouble could win it.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
TB would be crazy to deal Vinny to Oilers. None of the Oilers prospects will ever turn out to be a franchise player at the level VL is right now.

Basically be dealing for depth, which is a bad move when you arent certain the depth will turn out to be top 6 players anyways.
Sounds to me like a Flames fan fearing what the Oil could do with a Superstar finisher playing with Hemsky

How you feel a sophomore D-man signed to a long-term reasonable deal (could be a bargain in 2 years) on pace for 40pts this year and set a team record for goals by a rookie defenceman (a record formerly held by Paul Coffey) isn't a top pairing d-man for years to come is beyond me. But I guess in Calgary you're not used to watching true puck movers.

And Gagner, who will have played 160 games before he turns 20, has the pedigree as well as natural talent to be no worse than a 2nd line center. Add draft picks and prospects and there is a pretty good shot you get one more top 6 forward/top 4 d-man. This, all at cheaper dollars for a club that is in limbo of full fledged rebuild.

Not to mention the risk that in the final 3 years of Lecavs deal you have a 35+ year old player with a nearly 8mil cap hit. If Tampa thinks they are going to get an equal value player for cheaper dollars then all the power to them. But I have a feeling 29 GM's hang up and were condemned to watch "The Saw" grow to 15 sequels, one to pay for every year of Vinny's deal. Uggh

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
They never one it. The calgary flames did and then the league refused to count the winning goal so the team in financial trouble could win it.
While we never "one" one we did win one.

Until there is proof that the shot went in guess who has a ring?

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Gusher

Quote:
I hope that was sarcasm. Otherwise...

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd stop now to keep the embarrassment to a minimum.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Gusher

As much as I'd love to see Lecavalier in Edmonton, we need to stay realistic. He's likely never going to be an Oiler. I just can't see the Oilers making such an impact trade. Unfortunately, that just doesn't happen around here anymore.

I can't see Tampa being excited about any offer the Oilers could offer either.

Old
01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
AgentNaslund*

Does Lecavlier have a trade clause in his contract?

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Does Lecavlier have a trade clause in his contract?
Currently, no. After July 1st, yes.

Old
01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Hemsky4PM

It's very tough to give up that much for Vinny when we saw Big Joe dealt for so little only a few years ago.

Hemsky is not in any way available from the Oilers. He may have one of the best contracts in the league (4.1M cap hit for 3 more seasons) and is very productive.

Tampa would really sewer their ability to attract player in the future if they moved a guy they signed to an 11 year deal to a team/city that he did not want to go to. For that reason I think they would take less in a trade to a team like Montreal/Rangers/ect. rather than move him to Edmonton. I'm from Edmonton, no offense but I'm certain Vinny would not want to be moved there.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
AgentNaslund*

if this is true, Edmonton won't be the only team making offers to Tampa.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Sounds to me like a Flames fan fearing what the Oil could do with a Superstar finisher playing with Hemsky

How you feel a sophomore D-man signed to a long-term reasonable deal (could be a bargain in 2 years) on pace for 40pts this year and set a team record for goals by a rookie defenceman (a record formerly held by Paul Coffey) isn't a top pairing d-man for years to come is beyond me. But I guess in Calgary you're not used to watching true puck movers.

And Gagner, who will have played 160 games before he turns 20, has the pedigree as well as natural talent to be no worse than a 2nd line center. Add draft picks and prospects and there is a pretty good shot you get one more top 6 forward/top 4 d-man. This, all at cheaper dollars for a club that is in limbo of full fledged rebuild.

Not to mention the risk that in the final 3 years of Lecavs deal you have a 35+ year old player with a nearly 8mil cap hit. If Tampa thinks they are going to get an equal value player for cheaper dollars then all the power to them. But I have a feeling 29 GM's hang up and were condemned to watch "The Saw" grow to 15 sequels, one to pay for every year of Vinny's deal. Uggh

Nothing to do with scrad of VL going to Edmonton. IMO, a couple Oileres prospects are very good (Eberle) but they dont have franhise potential like VL does. Gagner a 2nd line center, Gilbert a PP QB and what else as a throw in for VL? please...

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Don't worry, some of us have. We also know that Horcoff and Penner are Edmonton's problem and that no one is going to take them off our hands without us adding something substantial to the deal.
Yeah yeah, and Souray is a hit and miss player and Visnovsky is dangerous in his own zone, we get it. You don't like our players.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Huge overpayment. Edmonton misses the playoffs for sure.

Damn beat me to it.

To Tampa Bay
Sam Gagner(19)1.625 million, Tom Gilbert(26)4.0 million, Jordan Eberle(18) juniors, 09 1st and 2nd, 10 1st.

To Edmonton
Vincent Lecavalier(28)7.727 million

Edmonton gets its superstar! Tampa sheds salary, adds two terrific young players, a great prospect, and 3 mid round picks
I think that is a good proposal. If that were truely on the table, I think the Lightning would have a hard decision to make.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:33 PM
davegagnerskid

Well Tampa would have to absorb salary no matter what team they dealt Lecavalier too. They'd be so far from the cap floor next year it would be laughable. Tbay would absorb salary but it would come in quazntity which equals depth which equals something they've been missing for a few years.

The central piece in the trade going back to TBay in mind would be Tom Gilbert. A Youngish puck moving d-man who they sorely miss on the backend. With the UFA market this summer being short on d-men I think this would be the one need they would need addressing. Gagner/Cogliano + Eberle + Chorney and 2 - 1sts would get the deal done.

For some reason I see the Itallion Stallion Cogliano being the kid that get's moved. Halpern and Vinny come Edmnton's way if #4 could accept the cold weather.

Vinny wears #19 in Edmonton. Hits the rafters in 2026.

#83 raises in 2029

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Sladerx

I like the idea of having him however the 11 years is something that I don't really like for a 28 year old player. It would work out for the 1st 5 or 6 years but then after that Edmonton would be stuck with his contract and who is to say he will stay an 8 million dollar player when he is in his late 30's

Sladerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:37 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
It's very tough to give up that much for Vinny when we saw Big Joe dealt for so little only a few years ago.

Hemsky is not in any way available from the Oilers. He may have one of the best contracts in the league (4.1M cap hit for 3 more seasons) and is very productive.

Tampa would really sewer their ability to attract player in the future if they moved a guy they signed to an 11 year deal to a team/city that he did not want to go to. For that reason I think they would take less in a trade to a team like Montreal/Rangers/ect. rather than move him to Edmonton. I'm from Edmonton, no offense but I'm certain Vinny would not want to be moved there.

Thornton was not shopped. No comparison. I'm sure some greater offers would of surfaced. If #4 is traded to the Habs it's not because they put out a better package, but it would be out of respect to Vinny. The Oil can put together a better package of unproven prospects.

The Arctic weather stops the trade before the assets do.

Old
01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No way is Lecavier going to Edmonton... man would I be happy to see that go down, though. Would be pricey, but Lecavier would be worth it. Lightning would likely be forced to eat Horcoff's contract(5.5) mill and we'd probably end up having to give up Cogliano, Grebeshkov and 3+ first rounders.

Would leave lightning with more youth and depth at center and defense, but defintely lacking in star power until Stamkos develops more. In the long run a trade LIKE this one would probably be beneficial for the lightning.

They've got too many older vets, a guy like Stamkos will create another big 3 problem for the lightning, and they desperatly need a puck moving defenseman.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladerx View Post
I like the idea of having him however the 11 years is something that I don't really like for a 28 year old player. It would work out for the 1st 5 or 6 years but then after that Edmonton would be stuck with his contract and who is to say he will stay an 8 million dollar player when he is in his late 30's
His salary dramatically tapers off in his last three years making him a very moveable and attractive asset.

Old
01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Nothing to do with scrad of VL going to Edmonton. IMO, a couple Oileres prospects are very good (Eberle) but they dont have franhise potential like VL does. Gagner a 2nd line center, Gilbert a PP QB and what else as a throw in for VL? please...
Wow you really think that when a team trades there franchise player there expecting to get back a future franchise player thats better then the one they had before?

Newsflash, the whole reason you add multiple pieces is to offset the value of losing your best player....and hopefully those pieces will be better for the team then the one franchise player you had before.

Not to mention the fact that many considered Gagner a franchise player at the end of last season and Gilbert is on his way to becoming a top pairing defenseman. But in your mind there just throw ins right?

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:11 PM
pwallll

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Vinny/1/19039

HA! Eklund is saying a rumour is not true!
When is he going to tell us his rumours aren't true either?

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Drebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Vinny/1/19039

HA! Eklund is saying a rumour is not true!
When is he going to tell us his rumours aren't true either?
So does that pretty much guarantee this deal then?

Drebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
So does that pretty much guarantee this deal then?
No. Eklunds rumours don't end up with the opposite happening. They just don't happen. He's trying to make himself look good by shooting down a rumour by someone else.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote